Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

He doesn't like the physical attack much to begin with, and in FF8 blind makes your accuracy be 25% of what it would otherwise have been. So you can go a very long time in that battle without anyone actually dying. And if that happens, it's quickly fixed with a Phoenix Down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

MrAristocrates posted:

God, Bad Breath is such a gently caress you in FFX
It's a pretty huge 'gently caress you' in VIII as well. The key is to get Cerberus to learn ST-Def-Jx4, give that person 100% resistance to Confuse, Sleep and Berserk, and make sure they have Treatment to heal themselves + the other two party members.

With regards to getting the GFs in Ultimecia Castle, the only one I draw there is Eden from Tiamat. Why? Because leaving Ultima Weapon alive means being able to farm Trifaces on the top level of the Deep Sea Deposit for Curse Spikes.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Great Marlboros in the Omega Ruins will always surprise attack you and always open up with bad breath, so if you dont have first strike or confuse/berserkproof its basically a coin flip if youre gonna see the game over screen.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Zero Star posted:

Because leaving Ultima Weapon alive means being able to farm Trifaces on the top level of the Deep Sea Deposit for Curse Spikes.

Yeah, this is the right decision to make. If you want Curse Spikes otherwise (for Rosetta Stones, Dark Matter or to max out Luck) you are better off starting the game again from scratch than bothering with anything else if Ultima Weapon is dead. It's pretty silly.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Well, if you only want a small handful of Dark Matters you can pursue other sources of Curse Spikes.

And if you want enough of them to max Luck, you can pursue mental health therapy. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That reminds me, FFX gives you more Luck Spheres, that make an empty Sphere Grid node a +4 Luck one then they do Fortune Spheres, which actually let you activate them.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Don't those shadows in the sewers drop (mug?) Curse Spikes at 30+? I dunno if you can go back down there after that maze on the first disc, though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

Don't those shadows in the sewers drop (mug?) Curse Spikes at 30+? I dunno if you can go back down there after that maze on the first disc, though.
I don't think you can. I'm sure that if you miss the weapon magazine down there, you have to wait until it's available to buy.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sunning posted:

Anyway, here is my plan for developing FFXVI off the top of my head:

That's exactly what they should be considering for the series. However, I would prefer to not have any fanservice in the game, since the damage it can do to a game's credibility might be worse than the people it attracts. Sure, there are people who mod far more extreme things into Skyrim, but games like Final Fantasy should be above dressing up women in skimpy clothing.

I wonder how many of these principles were used during ARR's development, and if it's too late for them to be used for XV. I'm sure they don't want another repeat of XIII and XIV, but I'm not convinced until they have more to show us.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

That loving Sned posted:

but games like Final Fantasy should be above dressing up women in skimpy clothing.
Are you serious? FF has had fanservice at least since IV.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It'd be nice if we could say it actually drives people away but I'm pretty sure guys like Riot Games make half their cash off barely-dress female skin #993. Not thrilled by it but from a pure callous business perspective it probably does make more cash than it risks driving away.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

I don't think you can. I'm sure that if you miss the weapon magazine down there, you have to wait until it's available to buy.

You can re-enter the sewers from Caraway's place, and if you go back on a later visit and keep going right, you can get to the Rinoa/Squall/Irvine accessible part of the sewers with the magazine. (You can't get there with Quistis's team on your mandatory disc 1 visit. There's a closed gate.) You can even climb out by the jeep, though you can't get any further than that.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Gologle posted:

loving MECHA VALJEAN.

After you defeat miniboss Cyborg Fantine, she breaks into her big showstopping number:

I dreamed a dream of time gone by
Back when I used to still be human
I dreamed that love would never die
Now all my wiring's shot through, man

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Zero Star posted:

It's a pretty huge 'gently caress you' in VIII as well. The key is to get Cerberus to learn ST-Def-Jx4, give that person 100% resistance to Confuse, Sleep and Berserk, and make sure they have Treatment to heal themselves + the other two party members.

That last part is unnecessary, because why are you doing anything to malboros other than mugging them for tentacles and running away?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Don't Malboros give good ap

Also I've always wondered how se was able to dodge getting the poo poo sued out of them by Phillip Morris

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 24, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

My classics major friend tells me it's something to do with mal meaning bad and boros meaning breath in Latin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Plus they called 'em stuff like Molbol and Oscar when they first started showing up.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
Malboros in Omega Dungeon are rather easy if you have First Strike and Delay Buster.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Occupation posted:

Any considerations about AP are made irrelevant by the existence of Cactuar Island.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Occupation posted:

Also I've always wondered how se was able to dodge getting the poo poo sued out of them by Phillip Morris

Probably because Marlboro =/= Malboro, they couldn't win the lawsuit in a million years even if they WERE spelled the same, and Phillip Morris probably wouldn't want to bring that lawsuit even if they could win it ("Your honor, these hideous monsters with terrible breath that cause horrible afflictions are clearly based on our delightful and enjoyable product.")

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

morallyobjected posted:

That last part is unnecessary, because why are you doing anything to malboros other than mugging them for tentacles and running away?

The correct answer is Quistis + Initiative + Degenerator. :colbert:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Enallyniv posted:

The old saying "different strokes for different folks" applies here. Also bear in mind a number of people are re-playing FFX and have already done the "just playing through" run.

There are a lot of things that get walled off throughout FFX. People just want to make sure they'll be able to enjoy the postgame content without having to jump through hoops or cheese superbosses just to get sweet loot.

Yeah I played through once already in high school, and did pretty much everything. I caught 10 of each monster and beat Nemesis, the version I played didn't have the dark aeons.

I kind of wanted to break it over my knee this time so I did stuff I wouldn't have known about if I didn't ask about it:
  • Give Oaka 1000 gil when you first see him. Next time he stocks up on weapons you can buy a Stonetouch ball for Wakka, which will make your life much easier for a long time.
  • Oaka eventually stocks a First Strike weapon for Tidus. Buy it. Tidus also gets Flee, with those 2 combined you can run away from even getting ambushed instantly.
  • Turn Yuna into a better Black Mage than Lulu with some quick detours early (Expert Grid) and Black Magic spheres later. She hits WAY harder than Lulu and has summons and heals on top of it.
  • Make Kimahri a great all-rounder instead of useless. Take him on Rikku's path then Yuna's, steal and use on a character that doesn't die in a hit are good and he'll be fast and a good caster. In his solo battle you can steal a bunch of level 3 spheres, which are otherwise really hard to get and a huge roadblock if you get to the end of someone's grid early
  • Get a Teleport Sphere from blitzball really early and use it to customize Evade and Counter. It makes whoever has it almost invincible to physical attacks. If you put it on someone with Guard your whole party can't be hit by them, and is countering every turn. This one's a bit excessive.
  • In general look up who to recruit for Blitz and you will never lose
  • As soon as you kill Spherimorph you can backtrack a bit to start finding the other Jecht Spheres, and get Auron's overdrives early. The one that does Full Break on enemies is only 3 spheres and really good on bosses.
  • Capturing everything in the Calm Lands gives you the materials to put Deathstrike on a weapon. Put it on a Capture weapon for Rikku - now she can use Mug on 15,000 HP monsters to kill them in a hit, get some items, and it counts towards your capture total.
  • Knowing what to Steal/Use/Mix. Some of that stuff is seriously overpowered.
  • Dark Aeons block you off from the following content:
    Besaid Destruction Sphere
    Macalania Destruction Sphere
    (You need the spheres to get all Aeons and Yuna's ultimate weapon)
    Sun Crest, for Tidus' ultimate weapon. Make sure you get it right after beating the boss
  • If you accidentally miss out on something behind a Dark Aeon, you can cheese them with Yojimbo's Zanmato. Reload until it works :v: You can "train" him to like you more by consistently paying him a certain amount.
I think I actually haven't had a single game over yet!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I played through once already in high school, and did pretty much everything. I caught 10 of each monster and beat Nemesis, the version I played didn't have the dark aeons.

I kind of wanted to break it over my knee this time so I did stuff I wouldn't have known about if I didn't ask about it:
  • Give Oaka 1000 gil when you first see him. Next time he stocks up on weapons you can buy a Stonetouch ball for Wakka, which will make your life much easier for a long time.

1001! He has 4 pricing tiers on the Mushroom Rock depending on how much you donate to him, 0-100 gil, 101-1000, 1001-10000, and 10001+. There's no reason to go beyond 1001 though.

Dark Aeons block you off from the following content:
Besaid Destruction Sphere
Macalania Destruction Sphere
(You need the spheres to get all Aeons and Yuna's ultimate weapon)
Sun Crest, for Tidus' ultimate weapon. Make sure you get it right after beating the boss

Also the Jecht Sphere in Besaid - you gotta backtrack all the way back to get it immediately after Spherimorph if you want it without having to deal with Dark Valefor.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 24, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

Also the Jecht Sphere in Besaid

And Valefor's second Overdrive if you weren't psychic reading GameFAQs enough to know it existed your first time in Besaid.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Instant Grat posted:

1001! He has 4 pricing tiers on the Mushroom Rock depending on how much you donate to him, 0-100 gil, 101-1000, 1001-10000, and 10001+. There's no reason to go beyond 1001 though.

Also the Jecht Sphere in Besaid - you gotta backtrack all the way back to get it immediately after Spherimorph if you want it without having to deal with Dark Valefor.
Oops 1001. That ball is great though. Nothing like running into a new giant enemy that's meant to take minutes to kill and killing it on your first attack.

Also worth mentioning that doing this terrible backtracking WON'T let you re-enter Besaid Temple if you missed the sphere :I I guess I got a sphere for my trouble but ugh.

Auron's last overdrive is nothing special anyway, just a chunk of damage. Once you get Quick Hit there's usually no reason to use it, and Auron's grid ends right next to quick hit on Expert so it's easy to move over.

Dragonatrix posted:

And Valefor's second Overdrive if you weren't psychic reading GameFAQs enough to know it existed your first time in Besaid.

Apparently you can get this way, way earlier. Like, leave besaid and turn around and go talk to her early. Again not a huge loss

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

At least Dark Valefor is the easiest Dark Aeon by far.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Peel posted:

At least Dark Valefor is the easiest Dark Aeon by far.

800k HP, resists every element And has an attack that can do 9999 damage to your whole party with no warning :I The easiest way to deal with that sort of thing early on is Anima, but if you need the Destruction Sphere you can't get Anima.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I must be having really superb luck with Zanmato because my killer strategy of Grand Summon + All of my money is 4 for 5. I only lost to Dark Ixion because I didn't realize you have to fight it twice.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

MrAristocrates posted:

I must be having really superb luck with Zanmato because my killer strategy of Grand Summon + All of my money is 4 for 5. I only lost to Dark Ixion because I didn't realize you have to fight it twice.

Good luck with D.Yojimbo if that's how you're planning on taking him down too. You gotta fight him 5 times. Without reloading a save or leaving the cave in between :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Best part is he keeps attacking you as you try and run out of the cave... except for one of his fights which you can run right past. It's down a completely optional sidepath that there's no reason to go to at that point! :v:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

That loving Sned posted:

That's exactly what they should be considering for the series. However, I would prefer to not have any fanservice in the game, since the damage it can do to a game's credibility might be worse than the people it attracts. Sure, there are people who mod far more extreme things into Skyrim, but games like Final Fantasy should be above dressing up women in skimpy clothing.

I wonder how many of these principles were used during ARR's development, and if it's too late for them to be used for XV. I'm sure they don't want another repeat of XIII and XIV, but I'm not convinced until they have more to show us.

FFXIV 2.0 was a very unusual game in how they promoted it and developed it. For once, they were very transparent about the issues they were facing what features they wanted in the reboot. For example, they revealed an outline of core features for 2.0 and a roadmap breaking down future updates.

On top of that, the team's structure was flattened to delegate tasks to junior designers. Teams were encouraged to openly discuss development issues. Monthly polling data was used to prioritize different aspects of development. Yoshida probably interacted more with fans at various gaming expos than the rest of the company's senior staff combined. Early in development, they identified their ability to make a well-produced MMO with a cross-platform subscriber base and a console friendly UI as their core competency.

For once, the company seemed agile and aware of consumer expectations in spite of the massive size of the project. I imagine it was a mix of Yoshida's perceptive of an Enix side outsider (DQ and MMO developer) looking in and the catastrophic state of the brand in which led to this environment. It was honestly very refreshing to see the company engage with consumers on a regular basis.

However, the nature of a MMORPG is different than an offline game. Unlike FFXIV, FFXV is only get one real shot at making a good impression. I think the structural inertia surrounding FFXV's development may make it difficult to address the issues affecting the development culture. Even if it was rebooted in 2012, that would be more than enough time to have a presentable. The Witcher 3 was developed in a similar timeframe and had a lengthy demo shown in closed doors. It only has placeholder assets and animations keeping it from going fully public.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Auron's last overdrive is nothing special anyway, just a chunk of damage. Once you get Quick Hit there's usually no reason to use it, and Auron's grid ends right next to quick hit on Expert so it's easy to move over.

He throws enemies into a tornado and then sets the tornado on fire. That's a perfectly good reason. :colbert:

Instant Grat posted:

Good luck with D.Yojimbo if that's how you're planning on taking him down too. You gotta fight him 5 times. Without reloading a save or leaving the cave in between :v:

That's why you farm him for Dark Matter and Ribbon Armors! :v:

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 24, 2014

SpectreGhost
Apr 23, 2014

800k HP, resists every element And has an attack that can do 9999 damage to your whole party with no warning :I The easiest way to deal with that sort of thing early on is Anima, but if you need the Destruction Sphere you can't get Anima.

"Low level strats" dictate a use of Auto-Phoenix, Auto-Life, Auto-Haste and a lot of Phoenix Downs while using Celestial Weapons to break damage limits on all the Aeons with their overdrives. Maybe with major attacking stats around 130?

I've never used a term more loosely. Or I guess you could use Zanmato if you're feeling lucky. Hell, you might as well just start optional end-game grinding at that point.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Curtain Call even has DLC characters and the first one is Yuffie.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/24/yuffie-first-downloadable-theatrhythm-final-fantasy-curtain-call-character/

Stop giving me things I want so much, Square.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SpectreGhost posted:

"Low level strats" dictate a use of Auto-Phoenix, Auto-Life, Auto-Haste and a lot of Phoenix Downs while using Celestial Weapons to break damage limits on all the Aeons with their overdrives. Maybe with major attacking stats around 130?

I've never used a term more loosely. Or I guess you could use Zanmato if you're feeling lucky. Hell, you might as well just start optional end-game grinding at that point.

Oh right, forgot about Auto-Life. I think I'll do the optional content up to getting the summons and going through Omega Ruins maybe. I'll get Wakka's weapon since I'm almost there already, Auron's too, and I'll see if chocobo dodging is worth the effort at all :v:

I'm remembering how long it took to get to the later stuff, and how it basically boils down to pure grinding... kill the same monster over and over to fill up nodes and get more experience to track down those empty nodes you can fill up. Don't think I'm doing that.

Edit: By the way if you leave the terrible Zanarkand puzzle to go save outside it resets! The puzzles are easily the worst part of FFX

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 24, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

SpectreGhost posted:

"Low level strats" dictate a use of [...] break damage limits on all the Aeons with their overdrives. Maybe with major attacking stats around 130?

You give Yuna a random weapon with First Strike then pop an elemental aeon with low Mag Def so you can hit yourself with Fir/Blizz/Thundagas to heal (Curaga isn't efficient or something dumb like that). You don't need to use celestial weapons because merely having them gives aeons BDL, and you won't be using them to fight anyway. NSG stats are nowhere near enough to make a dent, which is why you use aeons in the first place.

Aeons that you grind up manually in the most tedious way possible. It's pretty dumb and one of the few things I've looked at and gone "yeah, not doing this ever."

SpectreGhost
Apr 23, 2014

I'm remembering how long it took to get to the later stuff, and how it basically boils down to pure grinding... kill the same monster over and over to fill up nodes and get more experience to track down those empty nodes you can fill up. Don't think I'm doing that.

Edit: By the way if you leave the terrible Zanarkand puzzle to go save outside it resets! The puzzles are easily the worst part of FFX

Going for the platinum is... time-consuming as gently caress. I'm probably not the most efficient runner when it comes to this game, even though I've done it all before except for International content. I'm currently at 105 hours and I'm just now starting to fill in empty nodes on the expert sphere grid. Only other things left to do are:

• Kill Ultima Weapon/Buster.
  • Customize more armor for some stupid fights ahead.
  • Kill Nemesis.
  • Kill Dark Aeons. (except Dark Valefor)
  • Kill Penance.
  • Leave the Monster Arena for once and get the Al Bhed Primer in Omega Ruins.
  • Never 100% this game again.

Dragonatrix posted:

Aeons that you grind up manually in the most tedious way possible. It's pretty dumb and one of the few things I've looked at and gone "yeah, not doing this ever."

Yeah. Yeah. Naw. Never.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Is it just me or did they make the window for dodging Lightning Bolts smaller? :shepicide:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Seriously, I have no idea how you're supposed to do that without the crater trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

Seriously, I have no idea how you're supposed to do that without the crater trick.

According to the two people I know who did it 'legit', it involves a lot of crying and gnashing of teeth. Possibly some burns from the inevitable fire and brimstone too.