Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

kiimo posted:

It's almost cute at this point that every mock draft out there has KC taking a receiver. I love when Odell Beckham Jr. is projected to KC, as if he'd fall that far. Maybe people see "LSU" and just plug them into KC's slot. Not that that isn't understandable considering how many LSU guys KC has drafted.

However, KC has had predraft workouts with 9 safeties, 12 cornerbacks, 8 receivers. Only three of those receivers are projected to be first round picks, Marquise Lee, Mike Evans (will be long gone), and Brandin Cooks.

KC is going with a defensive back in the first round I'm thinking.

I'd love to agree, but I don't know who'd be available at that point. Pryor and Clinton-Dix will be long gone. I'd love to see a trade down and then getting Lee or Benjamin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yeah. Less the athleticism but he has amazingly consistent hands and really solid route running. I absolutely nailed him before the draft and I am always wrong about prospects.

I made sure to mail my draft fanfic to Ozzie Newsome early this year so there won't be another mistake like that.

I watched him a lot last year because I was pretty upset I hated him coming out, but he looks quicker in the pros. He struggled with separation at times. In the nfl he seemed to be much faster on outs and inside posts. Not sure. Knee injury that healed perhaps.

I got him completely wrong, but I definitely don't think he's that Far behind fitz in athletic ability. He doesn't have Larry's coordination though. Very few do.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Nawid posted:

Did Tarell Brown not re-sign because of that contract mishap? Because if so, lol.

No, they didn't give him a serious offer. They wanted to go younger and cheaper. This was prior to Culliver being a hit and run genius.

kiimo posted:

Let's just keep trading players who perform better than they did before, see: Alex Smith, Glen Dorsey, Jon Baldwin, AJ Jenkins....

Okay maybe not the last two.

It wasn't that Cooper wasn't performing on the 49ers; he was. They just didn't have the roster space for him, and tried to stash him on the PS, much like Michael Thomas. Only unlike Michael, he didn't even make it to the PS before being swiped.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The one fault I really remember from his college tape was that Allen fell down, a lot. Around every 10th catch he would turn to try and go up field and would just slip and slide down onto his back. I kind of hope that trend starts popping up in his pro game if only because it was oddly fascinating to see. It was like he would just lie down for a nap in the middle of games.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

quote:

@SiriusXMNFL · 46m
Phil Simms Top 4 #Draft QBs "1.) Derek Carr, 2.) Johnny Manziel, 3.)Tom Savage, 4.) Blake Bortles" #SXMNFL

Oh how I love you, sports media. You get paid to troll the world, it must be simply heaven.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Coldforge posted:

Oh how I love you, sports media. You get paid to troll the world, it must be simply heaven.

A perfect indication that even quarterbacks have no idea what makes good quarterbacks

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Azhais posted:

Fran 2.0 to the Vikings would be amusing

I'm not picking on just this, but why does nobody compare Manziel to Vick? To me that's his best comparison and his ceiling.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

commy gun posted:

I'm not picking on just this, but why does nobody compare Manziel to Vick? To me that's his best comparison and his ceiling.

QB comparisons are only skin deep, bro

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Manziel has decent speed and really good agility, Vick had amazing speed and otherworldly agility. Like, if you're saying JFF's career ceiling is the good version of what Vick has actually been in the NFL I can see it but as prospects I don't think it fits all that well.

e: I might be underrating how shifty JFF can be, he's really loving good there. But he's not running away from everyone on the field like Vick could.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 24, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grittybeard posted:

Manziel has decent speed and really good agility, Vick had amazing speed and otherworldly agility. Like, if you're saying JFF's career ceiling is the good version of what Vick has actually been in the NFL I can see it but as prospects I don't think it fits all that well.

e: I might be underrating how shifty JFF can be, he's really loving good there. But he's not running away from everyone on the field like Vick could.

Basically this. I don't think you're going to see Manziel breaking through the secondary, like ever. He might be able to dipsy doodle his way for some big yards here and there by playing his blockers and keeping peoples hands off him, but he just doesn't have breakaway speed like Vick.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Manziel is the new Steve Young.

In that Tampa's going to draft him, he's going to bust hard, and then get another shot after the Niners trade Kaep to the Chiefs.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Manziel in the USFL. :swoon:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It might end up being a good thing for Johnny Football, Vick lived a lot on his legs in Atlanta and I think he's talked about how he didn't really bother to learn how to play QB until he got to the Eagles. I don't think Manziel will be able to do that.

Another difference is their release, I'm not as down on Manziel's as QFG is but Vick just flicks the ball and it's gone instantly. Doesn't matter if he's throwing a bomb or a quick slant. I've always loved that release.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah, Vick was not taught a whole lot in Atlanta. Greg Knapp was the OC there, soooooo... yeah.

Nobody has the burst off the arm that Vick has. His arm isn't necessarily Cutler strength but the ball just loving explodes out of his arm.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Bradley Roby just got popped for a DUI, in case there was still any doubt he'll fall to the second round.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

commy gun posted:

They really are nothing alike.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Benne posted:

Bradley Roby just got popped for a DUI, in case there was still any doubt he'll fall to the second round.

Welcome to the 49ers, Bradley. Try to limit yourself to one stupid incident a year, and we'll be fine.

Edit: Though it may not be a thing.

quote:

Eleven Warriors ‏@11W
Sources inside the CPD and prosecutor's office both expect Roby's case to be dismissed.

Eleven Warriors ‏@11W
Will also throw this out there. Police impounded and searched Roby's car and found nothing.

And from his agent:

So who knows. Will probably still scare off some teams.

Could just be Belichick trying to drop his draft stock so he can draft him in round 2 :tinfoil:

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 25, 2014

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

In terms of pro comparison not actual output.

Edit wait is that what you thought I meant? Otherwise what are you talking about?

Yeah that's what I thought you meant.

I think people need to slow their roll in anointing Allen. It's been one year and I think he's going to come down significantly in terms of output this year.

Green is going to lead the team in catches and receiving yards this year

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Hadn't he been running the 40 while injured/recovering from injury?
iirc he had just gotten out of a walking boot and ran his 40 well before he was ready. In the gruden episode he was on crutches and those are usually filmed in like early March

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Coldforge posted:

Welcome to the 49ers, Bradley. Try to limit yourself to one stupid incident a year, and we'll be fine.

Edit: Though it may not be a thing.

And from his agent:

So who knows. Will probably still scare off some teams.

Could just be Belichick trying to drop his draft stock so he can draft him in round 2 :tinfoil:

Well, the Falcons sure as poo poo aren't going to draft him. Atlanta's FO thinks a football locker room is a place where choir boys gather.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chilichimp posted:

Well, the Falcons sure as poo poo aren't going to draft him. Atlanta's FO thinks a football locker room is a place where choir boys gather.

They have Sandusky on staff?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

So the draftniks on twitter are discussing a possible trade up to #1 from Atlanta using their 1, 2, and a future 1st.

Dimittroff seems not very bright, if true.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nobody has the burst off the arm that Vick has. His arm isn't necessarily Cutler strength but the ball just loving explodes out of his arm.

Marino's the only other one that I can think of where the ball goes out that fast.

Man gently caress the Falcons/not caring enough/dogs/whatever it was that screwed up Vick.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

Marino's the only other one that I can think of where the ball goes out that fast.

Jeff George

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

Man gently caress the Falcons/not caring enough/dogs/whatever it was that screwed up Vick.

You could probably add Virginia Tech to that, though, as an interesting consideration, how much development do pro coaches actually expect to have occurred during college ball?

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Ozu posted:

So the draftniks on twitter are discussing a possible trade up to #1 from Atlanta using their 1, 2, and a future 1st.

Nothing says Win Now like going 4-12 the season before.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

DupaDupa posted:

Nothing says Win Now like going 4-12 the season before.
Wasn't a big part of their fall from grace their o-line being pretty bad? I can understand wanting Clowney really bad, but it seemed like they were missing more than a pass-rush.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Wasn't a big part of their fall from grace their o-line being pretty bad? I can understand wanting Clowney really bad, but it seemed like they were missing more than a pass-rush.

Their OLine was terrible, their DLine was terrible, and they had a measurable gently caress ton of injuries to key players.

I would like to say that is all rumor, but TD will obviously go all in on players he falls in love with (Julio) no matter the cost. They are in desperate need for a elite pass rusher, but that is a huge price.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Yeah, all their chickens came home to roost at once. They rolled the dice on one more veteran fueled playoff run but their lines collapsed.

I'd much rather the Falcons sell the farm again to get their first round guy instead of actually sitting back and maybe getting some offensive linemen.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Ozu posted:

That actually sounds exactly like something the Falcons would do but I doubt it'd take 1,2 and next years 1 to move up from their spot.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

That actually sounds exactly like something the Falcons would do but I doubt it'd take 1,2 and next years 1 to move up from their spot.

Agreed, if I were the Falcons I'd go with this year and next year's 1st, and hope you do well enough to make it a low 1st instead of Redskinsing it up.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

It was the Dog Fighting. Vick screwed up the Falcons.

Thankfully he screwed them into the 3rd overall pick and scored them the greatest QB in franchise history, so not a ton of complaints here.

Shath Hole posted:

Their OLine was terrible, their DLine was terrible, and they had a measurable gently caress ton of injuries to key players.

I would like to say that is all rumor, but TD will obviously go all in on players he falls in love with (Julio) no matter the cost. They are in desperate need for a elite pass rusher, but that is a huge price.

If this report is true, I'd feel better about if, it in his now 6 years with the organization, he had even once successfully drafted/signed a single pass rusher that could COMPLIMENT John Abraham.

I'm not even talking about a transcendent talent, I mean a complimentary piece... a serviceable loving option who could take advantage of double teams on Abraham.

Then again, he hasn't exactly scored home run success on any of the linemen he drafted either. Garrett Reynolds, Peter Konz, Llamar Holmes Sam Baker... all dreadful to mediocre pro performances.

I'm pretty sure pulling in Scott Pioli was done specifically because Arthur Blank has no faith in TD to draft on the line of scrimmage.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 25, 2014

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
That whole Vick into Petrino era was literally the lowest I think I have ever experienced as a fan of the Falcons...it was terrible.

You are right Chili, TD cannot recognize a good pass rusher if it bit him in the rear end. That being said, everyone and their mother is saying Clowney is this generational talent and is a sure fire hit, so I wouldn't be totally opposed to moving up just not at the cost of a 1st and 2nd rounder.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It'd have to be a 1+2+2 at least tho that's a ton of picks to jump up considering the class

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

AAA DOLFAN posted:

It'd have to be a 1+2+2 at least tho that's a ton of picks to jump up considering the class

Yeah, I was just reading that's pretty much what Washington gave up to move up from 6 to grab RG3. gently caress that.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shath Hole posted:

Yeah, I was just reading that's pretty much what Washington gave up to move up from 6 to grab RG3. gently caress that.

Too many holes on the roster to give up the 2nd round pick.

Washtington gave up 1+2+1+1 for RG3.

I could live with a 1+1... but gently caress giving 2 future first rounders for a pass rusher. He can't possibly be enough of a game wrecker to be worth that trade.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 25, 2014

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Too many holes on the roster to give up the 2nd round pick.

If it were just a 2nd, I wouldn't be mad but it's going to cost either 2 firsts and a second (which I believe is what Washington gave for RG3) or like AAA said, a first and two seconds. You are talking 1 starting player versus potentially 4 starting, solid players. Too rich for my blood!

e: Man I forgot how much we gave up for Julio :stare:

quote:

Atlanta gave the Browns five -- five! -- draft picks: their 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks this year and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012.

A franchise cannot afford to throw that many picks away in such a short time frame. This cannot happen :ohdear:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Shath I can't say it in the no-spoilers thread but you're really lovely at hiding the fact that you read all the Game of Thrones books.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Those trade-ups are usually confusing to me. Are staffs looking at next season like an embattled CEO looks at next quarter's profit? "Win more now or we're gone anyway?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Doltos posted:

Shath I can't say it in the no-spoilers thread but you're really lovely at hiding the fact that you read all the Game of Thrones books.

haha, I promise you I haven't read any of the books! I listened to half the audio book of the first book, however, that was it. It's just not hard to put 2 and 2 together sometimes, ya dig? I see your name as the last poster in the Spoilers thread all the time, so I know you have read the books and would love to pick your brain sometime, but I don't have PM :(

• Locked thread