Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Loving Life Partner posted:

What's that website that shows the most valuable cards for sets as like, relatively sized images?

My B&N has a lot of different boosters and I have a gift card burning a hole in my wallet since December so I'm just going to buy some packs and rip them open for fun.

http://www.mtgprice.com/magic-the-gathering-prices.jsp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

What's that website that shows the most valuable cards for sets as like, relatively sized images?

Dawnglare

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Zoness posted:

Do you also think 2explores is just an honest player who messes up a lot? A lot of sensible human beings got cheated out by him, and it's my opinion that being a sensible human being and playing Tournament Wizard Poker do not go hand in hand.

Now before you call that statement the equivalent of a Wizard Poker Witch Hunt, my view is that it's certainly unreasonable to use the example of a particularly dishonest player to justify being somewhat overall paranoid but my point is that it puts everyone at peace of mind if everyone just makes an effort to introduce as little outside shenanigans as possible, because at the end of the day we all just want to play the game. People don't decide to just start cheating in the feature match area. I'm not seeing anyone that breaks any tiny rule as a cheater - I just don't want to have to think about it - and I'm sure my opponents don't either - so if we all just play as tightly as possible, nobody has to bother with that kind of stuff. At a tournament (as opposed to a money draft or whatever), I'm not going out of my way to judge someone's playing ability by what kind of magic player stereotype they fit into because I always give my opponent the benefit of the doubt with regards to their ability and knowledge on both ends of the spectrum. If I break a rule that I don't notice and they do, I expect them to call a judge on me as a courtesy, and I'd do the same, even at a prerelease, especially at a prerelease because I remember messing up a lot of interactions with newer cards at my first prerelease which was Lorwyn, since learning about it would be my benefit in the long run. Like, I don't think of a Judge call as something serious with intent to punish your opponent for messing, especially at the prerelease/fnm level. Sure, there's some courtesy calls to be made with regards to judge availability, but my point here is that clarity is important for both players.

That attitude is fine as long as you put it forth in a nice way. You can still play airtight and be cool about it. I go to high level Magic stuff but am conflicted on it a lot because I hate the atmosphere created by the extremely serious players alongside the more draconian rules the organizers follow. I'm not passing any judgement on you personally, but generally I've found that people who are real sticklers for perfect play also struggle with the concept of being personable.

Gumdrop Larry fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 24, 2014

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

My B&N has a lot of different boosters and I have a gift card burning a hole in my wallet since December so I'm just going to buy some packs and rip them open for fun.

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Gumdrop Larry posted:

That attitude is fine as long as you put it forth in a nice way. You can still play airtight and be cool about it. I go to high level Magic stuff but am conflicted on it a lot because I hate the atmosphere created by the extremely serious players alongside the more draconian rules the organizers follow. I'm not passing any judgement on you personally, but generally I've found that people who are real sticklers for perfect play also struggle with the concept of being personable.

My personal experience with competitive REL since I've been to a few events this year, I usually am super focused and not chatty because I'm trying my best to be mindful of every nuance. Magic is a complex game. I assume my opponent is better than me, and I don't want to lose due to some failing of my own like timing etc. I'm sure it comes off as a poor atmosphere, but I like to get better and so that means I have to go to places where there is higher level competition. I'm not a jerk (at least I'd like to think so) and if we're at a prerelease, fnm, or the kitchen table I basically don't give a crap. If I was really good, I'd probably become more relaxed, but I am one of those people that you could certainly label as a try-hard, I just am doing what I can to make sure I'm not making a dumb mistake so I'm thinking and not very chatty. I do try to be nice before and after a match, although sometimes I stew on my bad beats. I don't say anything to my opponent, but if I got smashed again by UWR control I'm probably going over the game in my head after the match and not paying any attention to my opponent.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Mercury Crusader posted:

Except maybe Winter's Night in an EDH deck I guess. That might be decent if you can actually somehow get past the slowdown thing.

How about that other EDH darling Seedborn Muse?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Just found this parody site, I think it suits us:
http://www.magicisruinedforever.com/

Magic is ruined forever. And It's hilarious.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

edit: wrong thread :v:

VVVV--- Thank you for the suggestions. I might have Life from the Loam!

Deckit fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 24, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Deckit posted:

BG Death Cloud :words:

Life From the Loam, Darkblast, that discard spell with Retrace? What about Worm Harvest? It's gimmicky but might be fun.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Raven's Crime.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I want political cartoon number 40 on a playmat.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I want to punch whoever designed the challenges in Magic Forge. The Red Dungeon Crawling just starts off with Furnace of Rath in play was is hilariously cruel when you start with 15 life. All of them seem designed around "have this card or lose"

Also one of them is based around Propaganda effects, when Propaganda effects literally crash the game.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I always have an arsenal of several kinds of decks. When that red challenge pops up I just pick a burn deck and beat it at its own game. The propaganda one is pretty annoying but mill decks or a planar cleansing or four help with that.

I haven't had the game crash because of propaganda effects, myself. I actually like how the game handles them because of the "auto" button that lets you just pay for your attackers by mashing the space bar.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Every time I've tried to attack into Propoganda it just throws up an error then locks the game so you can't advance.

I've found the Blue Dungeon Crawling is a joke though since you'll draw so many cards you'll see everything you need to anyway.

The Black one( I think it's a dungeon crawling one) is kinda luck dependent in that you have to kind of hope it does spawn about 5-6 thrulls in first first flip off Infernal Genesis

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Okay so I don't know if thid has been said yet but the new city of brass is going to go straight into mono blue and it instantly solves all of blues problems.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Homo for Hitler posted:

Okay so I don't know if thid has been said yet but the new city of brass is going to go straight into mono blue and it instantly solves all of blues problems.

Except for the problem that exists when you draw 2 Blue lands and 1 Mutavault and your Spectres are unplayable.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Homo for Hitler posted:

Does it solve the problem of Thassa getting hit with Deicide followed up with Verdict the next turn?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Samael posted:

This is my friend, he drinks during every midnight pre-release to maintain his sanity. Highlight of this is in his born of the gods sealed he pulled chromanticore and just stood on his chair, waved it around roaring it's name in his gravelly voice.

I like that dude. I would just be all :smith:, but he's all :unsmigghh:

I have a good buddy who showed up to AVR midnight sealed reeking of booze and clearly drunk, and placed 4th of about 100 people.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

qbert posted:

Does it solve the problem of Thassa getting hit with Deicide followed up with Verdict the next turn?

You mean dispels and negates? I'm not concerned about a card that will be played as a 2 of in the side when I board in 6 counterspells. I am more concerned with mistcutters and being able to play any card I take with nightveil specters.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Homo for Hitler posted:

Wait, what problems of mono blue would running mana confluence solve? Is it just so it's able to play stuff of of Nightveil?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I like that dude. I would just be all :smith:, but he's all :unsmigghh:

I have a good buddy who showed up to AVR midnight sealed reeking of booze and clearly drunk, and placed 4th of about 100 people.

I play much better while drunk. When I'm sober I overthink my plays.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bonus posted:

Wait, what problems of mono blue would running mana confluence solve? Is it just so it's able to play stuff of of Nightveil?

When you display to your opponent that you are the type of person willing to take one damage in response to anything by merely tapping a land, you gain a mental edge that is impossible to account for.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Bonus posted:

Immunity to Boil. :downs:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Bonus posted:

I talked a bit about it just above your post. You would be able to effectively pick a color and be able to splash it for their spells while still having the permanent shell of mono blue.

If you pick black, you get doom blades for specifically mistcutter hydra but can also be used in every other matchup but black and control. You also get to put a notion thief or two in the board for rev decks. You also could put in a playset of bidents if you so choose to run a couple of pack rats main as they go hand in hand really.

This is just one color and there's even more than that in black

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Boxman posted:

I want political cartoon number 40 on a playmat.

Glad I'm not the only one who got a kick out of that. I want it in the next OP for the Eternal Formats thread.

E: I know it's a joke site but this Standard RUG Burn list looks fun, albeit wildly inconsistent.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 25, 2014

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Homo for Hitler posted:

You mean dispels and negates? I'm not concerned about a card that will be played as a 2 of in the side when I board in 6 counterspells. I am more concerned with mistcutters and being able to play any card I take with nightveil specters.

So you're going to wait till T5 to cast Thassa and keep Negate mana up, plus you'll never tap out playing when Thassa's on the board?

You're nuts if you don't think Deicide isn't going to have much of an impact on mono-U. The card basically beats the 2nd most popular deck in Standard and has solid applications against other decks.

Also Mana Confluence and all the counter spells in the world are not going to solve the Supreme Verdict problem.

Edit: I feel I should clarify that I definitely think Confluence will improve any deck playing 4 Nightveils, but there's a difference between making a deck stronger and solving a deck's weaknesses.

qbert fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 25, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Mono Blue didn't get anything in BNG or JOU and other archtypes have become stronger. It is very possible U Aggro becomes a more heavily splashed deck that just uses the fact Master of Waves on some boards is an instant win still.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I never knew how much I needed Rosewater to play a card game on a motorcycle until I saw this site.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

qbert posted:

So you're going to wait till T5 to cast Thassa and keep Negate mana up, plus you'll never tap out playing when Thassa's on the board?

You're nuts if you don't think Deicide isn't going to have much of an impact on mono-U. The card basically beats the 2nd most popular deck in Standard and has solid applications against other decks.

Also Mana Confluence and all the counter spells in the world are not going to solve the Supreme Verdict problem.

Edit: I feel I should clarify that I definitely think Confluence will improve any deck playing 4 Nightveils, but there's a difference between making a deck stronger and solving a deck's weaknesses.

Does deicide totally devestate mono blue if it resolves? It sure does! I don't disagree one bit. So mono blue needs to play around that. Yes, playing thassa around turn 5 against blue is a good idea, unless they tap out. You're better off throwing your specters under the counterspell bus on turn 3, or better yet just pump mana into your frostburn until they do something about it.

You beat supreme verdict by never letting it do anything but two for one you at the most. You slow roll them by sticking a bident on the board and slowly out-draw them, and while thassa will red line a control player, it is no means required to beat control. To counteract the possibility of getting deicided, you just put in 2 aetherlings in the side, specifically for that matchup.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Homo for Hitler posted:

I talked a bit about it just above your post. You would be able to effectively pick a color and be able to splash it for their spells while still having the permanent shell of mono blue.
I'm not certain having just 4 sources of a color is terribly reliable for actually having that color, unless you mean that it frees you from running scrylands. I mean, sure, it may make Mistcutter less of a problem, but Mono-U has ways to win through a Hydra anyway without splashing colors.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Veyrall posted:

I'm not certain having just 4 sources of a color is terribly reliable for actually having that color, unless you mean that it frees you from running scrylands. I mean, sure, it may make Mistcutter less of a problem, but Mono-U has ways to win through a Hydra anyway without splashing colors.

You would run something like

4 mana confluence
3 watery grave
2 temple of deceit

What's the in-color proposal for beating mistcutters except for overloading rifts and using pognify tokens?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Homo for Hitler posted:

4 mana confluence
3 watery grave
2 temple of deceit

What's the in-color proposal for beating mistcutters except for overloading rifts and using pognify tokens?

thassa-ing your team past it for lethal?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Homo for Hitler posted:

Does deicide totally devestate mono blue if it resolves? It sure does! I don't disagree one bit. So mono blue needs to play around that. Yes, playing thassa around turn 5 against blue is a good idea, unless they tap out. You're better off throwing your specters under the counterspell bus on turn 3, or better yet just pump mana into your frostburn until they do something about it.

I'm not sure how "wait with your spells until they're no longer impactful" is supposed to work for an aggro deck, but okay.

Also you beat mistcutters by beating down with an unblockable Thassa. What are they going to do, race your 5/5 with their 4/4?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

thassa-ing your team past it for lethal?

They should be attacking with them, and you won't always have thassa when they have mistcutter. I would like a more reliable source to deal with them.

Jabor posted:

I'm not sure how "wait with your spells until they're no longer impactful" is supposed to work for an aggro deck, but okay.

Also you beat mistcutters by beating down with an unblockable Thassa. What are they going to do, race your 5/5 with their 4/4?

Your sideboard games consist of dumping off your lovely aggro creatures that don't do jack if you draw them on turn 10 for impactful things like counterspells, aetherling, notion thief. You don't have to play mono blue like an aggro deck.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Homo for Hitler posted:

4 mana confluence
3 watery grave
2 temple of deceit

I think the manabase would probably be 4 mana confluence, 4 hallowed fountain, 2 Godless Shrine if you're going to splash a color in monoU, you really don't want tap lands, and you'd probably prefer to just play some detention spheres or banishing light or whatever and maybe an ephara.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Homo for Hitler posted:

They should be attacking with them, and you won't always have thassa when they have mistcutter. I would like a more reliable source to deal with them.

Well if they're attacking with it then you don't even need to have Thassa in order to win a race!

If you're now going to sideboard into the control plan against every single deck that runs white, the mono-U deck as a whole is now way worse. In fact, if you're not going on the aggro gameplan, the deck can already splash whatever you like even without Mana Confluence.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Sampatrick posted:

I think the manabase would probably be 4 mana confluence, 4 hallowed fountain, 2 Godless Shrine if you're going to splash a color in monoU, you really don't want tap lands, and you'd probably prefer to just play some detention spheres or banishing light or whatever and maybe an ephara.

I do not want ephara, d spheres are nice and all but they don't solve anything that is actually a problem for mono blue, and while it would let you play deicide yourself, that also doesn't solve anything I would consider a problem, or help me in ways that notion thief can against esper.

Jabor posted:

Well if they're attacking with it then you don't even need to have Thassa in order to win a race!
you're absolutely right about the tapped lands though, which is why I will only run 1-2 scry lands at the most.

If you're now going to sideboard into the control plan against every single deck that runs white, the mono-U deck as a whole is now way worse. In fact, if you're not going on the aggro gameplan, the deck can already splash whatever you like even without Mana Confluence.

You don't always have the greater power on board vs green decks, and having targeted removal is extra protection for your masters vs polukranos. I already side in 3 dispels vs white decks because I would rather have a dead card in my hand than watch them turn their whole team pro blue and blow me out. I treat mono blue more like fish in modern vs white, except flying instead of islandwalk

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
never mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Korak posted:

Mono Blue didn't get anything in BNG or JOU and other archtypes have become stronger. It is very possible U Aggro becomes a more heavily splashed deck that just uses the fact Master of Waves on some boards is an instant win still.

All of these expensive red mythics getting printed all of the time can't even play mono blue aggro wotc!!

edit: I just realized they printed an homage to Tallowisp in this set. I think JOU is really going to spice up Theros block limited.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 25, 2014

• Locked thread