Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

Just saw this past week's P&R and I have a few questions.

Where is Tom?
Who is the gay guy?
How did Ron get seven kids?
Why isn't Leslie a councilwoman anymore?
What happened to Jerry?

Feel free to not answer any of those questions because I really don't care. That episode was awful.
I have a few suggestions.

Go read season/episode summaries on your own time.
Sit on it and rotate.

Feel free to yadda yadda yadda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is there one or two episodes left?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is there one or two episodes left?

We get a final hour this coming Thursday. I don't know if it's one hour-long episode or two half-hour long episodes.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
This probably belongs here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCa_Xgy_ank

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This is stupendous.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I've never noticed the height disparity before.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Worth it for:

"She did a voice in Free Birds!"

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
This article says what's already been said here, ("all of Leslie's accomplishments are suddenly less than something 14 year olds do on accident all the time?") but in a longer form:

http://www.avclub.com/article/trouble-triplets-leslie-knopes-babies-and-problema-203697

Maybe they'll salvage the situation but it feels like it flattens Leslie as a character.

Sam Steele
Apr 29, 2008
wait why can't a feminist have kids again?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sam Steele posted:

wait why can't a feminist have kids again?
You very clearly didn't read the article, so why post about it?

Sam Steele
Apr 29, 2008
Nah I did read it, the author's narrow definition of what behaviours and life stages being a sitcom-feminist can encompass was really stupid and there sure is a lot of stretching going on to say a line of dialogue, where a character boasts about the many difficult challenges she's overcome that have prepared her to overcome her next challenge, is somehow disempowering and negating all the character's growth and accomplishments. Her line as read in the show was actually pretty bad-rear end.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sam Steele posted:

Nah I did read it, the author's narrow definition of what behaviours and life stages being a sitcom-feminist can encompass was really stupid and there sure is a lot of stretching going on to say a line of dialogue, where a character boasts about the many difficult challenges she's overcome that have prepared her to overcome her next challenge, is somehow disempowering and negating all the character's growth and accomplishments. Her line as read in the show was actually pretty bad-rear end.

The author was discussing the tv show in context of tv in general and lamenting that P&R has decided to go down a path so well-worn it's a cliche. A cliche that exists because of general discomfort in society about the idea of a woman finding fulfillment in anything other than childrearing. But you very clearly don't want to consider any perspectives but the one you walked in with, so why post about it?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sam Steele posted:

You asked why feminists can't have children, implying that the article says they can't when it specifically says the opposite.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I do think it's sort of unfair to jump on Parks and Rec for this trend when (as the article even points out) April and Donna both lead independent, fulfilling lives and don't appear interested in having kids. And for all the failings of this season, using one quote from the show to frame having kids as Leslie's "life goal" is sort of silly.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 24, 2014

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The author was discussing the tv show in context of tv in general and lamenting that P&R has decided to go down a path so well-worn it's a cliche. A cliche that exists because of general discomfort in society about the idea of a woman finding fulfillment in anything other than childrearing. But you very clearly don't want to consider any perspectives but the one you walked in with, so why post about it?
What's the alternative then? They just ignore the idea of children and family even though it's obviously something both Ben and Leslie would want and they're both pushing 40? It's absolutely normal for them to want children, it's a well worn cliche because that's what happens to people.

Also, Leslie has quite clearly gained enormous fulfillment already through her career so it's fallacious to suggest that she is finally getting the fulfillment she wants via having kids. And Sam Steele is right in saying that the line about overcoming challenges or whatever doesn't remotely negate what she's already done, Leslie's whole point is that having children is tough but she knows she can do it because of the many seemingly impossible things that she has successfully pulled off against the odds. If anything that's an enforcement of her achievements, not an admission that actually it was all easy compared to farting out three children. It doesn't mean that everything she's done was just leading up to her learning how to be a good wife and mother. The article is absolutely overthinking everything for the sake of it

i'm annoyed I wrote so many serious words about a comedy show now

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Paperhouse posted:

i'm annoyed I wrote so many serious words about a comedy show now

If it's any consolation you did a better job than the article.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The mistake was considering Leslie Knope a feminist icon when she is, in fact, a fictional character.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
How HIMYM treated Robin in its later seasons and then especially in the finale would have been a much better framing point for that article IMO.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Paperhouse posted:

What's the alternative then? They just ignore the idea of children and family even though it's obviously something both Ben and Leslie would want and they're both pushing 40? It's absolutely normal for them to want children, it's a well worn cliche because that's what happens to people.

I think the complaint is that there are no shows where a lead professional woman goes off and has a successful career, but then just doesn't have kids because she chooses not to. Criticizing P&R in particular for not doing this seems a little off the mark - and I don't really think that's their intention - the author is just generally annoyed that nobody is running with that plot line.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

hcreight posted:

I do think it's sort of unfair to jump on Parks and Rec for this trend when (as the article even points out) April and Donna both lead independent, fulfilling lives and don't appear interested in having kids. And for all the failings of this season, using one quote from the show to frame having kids as Leslie's "life goal" is sort of silly.
She said they were more important than anything she'd ever done.

That's all fine and good, but when you're telling millions of women that kids are the most important thing they could ever do, it's a little hosed up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LividLiquid posted:

That's all fine and good, but when you're telling millions of women that kids are the most important thing they could ever do, it's a little hosed up.

Except she said it was the most important thing she did and after years of being kicked around by retards and assholes that's a kinda understandable statement.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
Is it me or is this tech company at the same set as the Entertainment 720 office?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

LividLiquid posted:

Well for most people their children ARE more important than anything else. That's reality. And I'm not just saying that for women, it's the same for men too. It's not unreasonable to think that Leslie's own children would be more important to her than a festival or getting a pit filled in, is it? And it's not "telling millions of women that kids are the most important thing they could ever do", it's one fictional woman learning that she is pregnant and reassuring her anxious husband that they can do it, just like they've done everything else thrown their way in the past.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
So uhhh anyone watching tonight's episode or...?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

E the Shaggy posted:

So uhhh anyone watching tonight's episode or...?

I don't really think this is the place for that, we've got feminism to discuss. :rolleyes:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

She's staying in Pawnee, but Ben is moving to Endor.

Seriously though, glad to see that Cones of Dunshire has swept the nation. They didn't even fight over who would be the Ledgermaster!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Paperhouse posted:

Well for most people their children ARE more important than anything else. That's reality. And I'm not just saying that for women, it's the same for men too. It's not unreasonable to think that Leslie's own children would be more important to her than a festival or getting a pit filled in, is it? And it's not "telling millions of women that kids are the most important thing they could ever do", it's one fictional woman learning that she is pregnant and reassuring her anxious husband that they can do it, just like they've done everything else thrown their way in the past.

Oh hey look, somebody refusing to factor in context again.

In Context, Leslie's pregnancy is presented as "the most important thing" on the same show where a male character's brand new baby was barely more than an afterthought and exists almost entirely offscreen. In Context Parks is merely the latest in a long line of shows to treat childbearing as a mandatory step, invariably the final step, in a female lead's character development (Ann could have left Pawnee for career reasons or personal goals or anything a man might do but nope, baby. Chris got storylines leading up to his departure about his mental issues and friendship with Ben, but Ann's just babyin' it up.) Male characters get to right wrongs and fight enemies and ride off into the sunset. Female characters get babies. In Context, our media does not propagate a message that men are worthless and broken if they don't love and want children.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LostRook posted:

I don't really think this is the place for that, we've got feminism to discuss. :rolleyes:
You're the problem.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Heck yeah. Cones of Dunshire redux!

...and Jean-Ralphio

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

You're the problem.

I try my best.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The Decemberists would actually be kind of a coup for Pawnee hah

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's a cover band called Cherry Pie, I think we got the bassist.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
oh god Ginuwine singing about Lil Sebastian

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Lucy! :swoon:

EDIT: TAMMY! :swoon:

Trolling for some Dad D.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Trolling for some Dad D.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I will defeat you right in my pants.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Music geek Ben is best geek Ben.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I love that the Decemberists and Ginuyine open for Bobby Knight Ranger hahaha

this is very, very sweet and i'm a nerd but it's really touching :3:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=