Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Silver linings! The Republican Hispanic outreach effort probably won't be damaged by ol' Cliven.

Mexicans: you may be Spanish, but you're people after all.
They were proto-Southerners, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

Paul / Bundy sounds better

Ted (Cruz) / Bundy

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Von Sloneker posted:

I just realized that in the Rich Lowry piece I linked above, he's actually having to explain to ... his readers, I guess, why slavery was actually bad. Life as a National Review editor must be something.

A look back at their history

National Review posted:

The central question that emerges--and it is not a parliamentary question or a question that is answered by meerely consulting a catalog of the rights of American citizens, born Equal--is whether the White community in the South is entitled to take such measures as are necessary to prevail, politically and culturally, in areas in which it does not predominate numerically? The sobering answer is Yes--the White community is so entitled because, for the time being, it is the advanced race. It is not easy, and it is unpleasant, to adduce statistics evidencing the median cultural superiority of White over Negro: but it is fact that obtrudes, one that cannot be hidden by ever-so-busy egalitarians and anthropologists. The question, as far as the White community is concerned, is whether the claims of civilization supersede those of universal suffrage. The British believe they do, and acted accordingly, in Kenya, where the choice was dramatically one between civilization and barbarism, and elsewhere; the South, where the conflict is by no means dramatic, as in Kenya, nevertheless perceives important qualitative differences between its culture and the Negroes', and intends to assert its own. National Review believes that the South's premises are correct. If the majority wills what is socially atavistic, then to thwart the majority may be, though undemocratic, enlightened.

And of course, they had John Derbyshire on staff until he went too far for even them

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I love that Bundy runs to Alex Jones, a man who daily says citizenship in America has become the same thing as slavery, to defend his comments on why slavery for blacks couldn't have been that bad.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ufarn posted:

They were proto-Southerners, really.

That would explain why Southerners were so eager to annex as much of Mexico as possible back in the 1840s, to say nothing of Southern filibustering into the Caribbean and Latin American! :downs:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Ray and Shirley posted:

I love that Bundy runs to Alex Jones, a man who daily says citizenship in America has become the same thing as slavery, to defend his comments on why slavery for blacks couldn't have been that bad.

Guy is a full-on sovereign citizen nutbag. The fact he thought Alex Jones was a good first stop on his rehab tour was pretty much a given.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Good Citizen posted:

Guy is a full-on sovereign citizen nutbag. The fact he thought Alex Jones was a good first stop on his rehab tour was pretty much a given.

Oh sure. I find it more interesting from the Jones side of the story. It's just more proof that his audience doesn't really listen to a single thing he says.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I must have missed that part, is Bundy a full-on laws are magic spells, gold fringe on the flag means martial law types?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Von Sloneker posted:

I just realized that in the Rich Lowry piece I linked above, he's actually having to explain to ... his readers, I guess, why slavery was actually bad. Life as a National Review editor must be something.

The best is the small bit of the comment section I read, which have me the briefest glimmer of hope.

Let me give you part of one such comment:

quote:

Oh good Lord, the man said almost precisely the same thing that Paul Ryan said a few months back that also got Ryan branded a "racist"...but he was defended on the pages of National Review.

Don't like that quoting of the word racist, but otherwise, fair point.

quote:

You have to be a complete simpleton to believe that he meant anything other than to compare Government welfare programs to slavery. And that comparison has been made by many Conservatives over the years, not just a rancher in Nevada.

Oh my god, someone who gets it in the National Review comments section, this is amaz-

quote:

And it is a very appropriate comparison at that.

Nope, nevermind.

It seems like that section who have a fair few people like this, saying:
- This is a typical conservative talking point worded "inartfully"
- National Review regularly defends people who use this argument
- Thus, this isn't racist.

They are so close, and yet so far away, from a real breakthrough.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 24, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rassmussen has Crist +6 on Rick Scott.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Joementum posted:

Silver linings! The Republican Hispanic outreach effort probably won't be damaged by ol' Cliven.

Mexicans: you may be Spanish, but you're people after all.

You know the worst/best thing? He's technically got a better opinion than most Republicans.

That's right. The blatantly racist rancher is objectively better on race than the majority of the Republican party.

EDIT: Oh my God, he's still talking!

Cliven Bundy: "RaHoWa is coming y'all!"

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 25, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Capfalcon posted:

You know the worst/best thing? He's technically got a better opinion than most Republicans.

That's right. The blatantly racist rancher is objectively better on race than the majority of the Republican party.

quote:

"Where is our colored brother? Where is our Mexican brother? Where is our Chinese -- where are they?" Bundy said. "They're just as much American as we are, and they're not with us. If they're not with us, they're going to be against us."

Yes, Bundy, I and a bunch of people like me are totally going to go to your ranch and party and smoke weed and getting rip roaring drunk.

quote:

Bundy noted that he "hardly ever" saw a black person until he was a teenager, and was surrounded by only white people during the press conference he was holding, according to the Post.

Gee, whodathunk?

edit: Goddamn, his whole "Where are our brothers in the fight against the gubmint" really drives home the whole "Why can't minorities see that conservatism and the GOP are good for them" schtick.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 25, 2014

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Got to love the national review response

I like the whining about D.C. being an absentee landlord, considering Bundy initiated the dispute by refusing to pay rent, basically. There really isn't an angle you can look at this where Bundy isn't at best a deadbeat piece of poo poo.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yes, Bundy, I and a bunch of people like me are totally going to go to your ranch and party and smoke weed and getting rip roaring drunk.

Yea, I'd also prefer to not get shot by drunken hicks.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is perfect

Got to love the national review response

Eh, I love ripping on conservatives as much as the next D&Der, but there's really nothing inconsistent in them defending his federal land bullshit and condemning his racism.

What's actually funny is the entire Daily Show assault on Hannity how he's all for police overreach and brutality on liberal protesters but crying about it in the case of Bundy. That's actual hypocrisy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Which means what, +9 in reality?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

computer parts posted:

Which means what, +9 in reality?

For all the poo poo Rasmussen gets after their admittedly awful 2008 performance, at least they're a real polling firm, unlike PPP.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Eh, I love ripping on conservatives as much as the next D&Der, but there's really nothing inconsistent in them defending his federal land bullshit and condemning his racism.

What's actually funny is the entire Daily Show assault on Hannity how he's all for police overreach and brutality on liberal protesters but crying about it in the case of Bundy. That's actual hypocrisy.

Daily Show video editor has to be the best job ever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Yeah but the Occupiers were squatting on land that didn't belong to them, and police brutality is totally justified whenever someone uses land without compensating the owner.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Beamed posted:

For all the poo poo Rasmussen gets after their admittedly awful 2008 performance, at least they're a real polling firm, unlike PPP.

They're real, but they have (or at least had the last time I checked) a conservative bias of a few points.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Beamed posted:

PPP's more accurate than Rasmussen, homeslice.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I appear to have gotten an email back from the FWS about Cruz's new rug. Says they're forwarding the information to the appropriate division for investigation and it's worded in a way that indicates they actually read what I wrote. I dunno, could be just blowing smoke up my rear end but maybe they'll actually go after him v:shobon:v

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Beamed posted:

PPP is completely legit. The fake one caught the other year was Gravis Marketing. There was another fake one that Nate Silver exposed in 2009 but I forget their name

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Capfalcon posted:

Probably not a good idea to refer to black people as "coloreds" in your attempt to not sound racist.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

Probably not a good idea to refer to black people as "coloreds" in your attempt to not sound racist.

He's not trying to not sound racist; the rest of the statement seems to indicate he blames minorities for not joining him of their own accord. What the hell, minorities. Don't make your white brothers fight this fight all by themselves. That's just cruel. :qq:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

loquacius posted:

He's not trying to not sound racist; the rest of the statement seems to indicate he blames minorities for not joining him of their own accord. What the hell, minorities. Don't make your white brothers fight this fight all by themselves. That's just cruel. :qq:

Nononono see that makes them racist, not him.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Nononono see that makes them racist, not him.

Exactly, if they're the racist ones it doesn't even occur to him not to use the word "colored." They deserve it for not rushing to his side. :colbert:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

ReidRansom posted:

I appear to have gotten an email back from the FWS about Cruz's new rug. Says they're forwarding the information to the appropriate division for investigation and it's worded in a way that indicates they actually read what I wrote. I dunno, could be just blowing smoke up my rear end but maybe they'll actually go after him v:shobon:v

Looking forward to seeing you interviewed by Wolf Blitzer as the Internet Activist who caught Ted Cruz breaking the law. :allears:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mo_Steel posted:

Looking forward to seeing you interviewed by Wolf Blitzer as the Internet Activist who caught Ted Cruz breaking the law. :allears:

And we're here with forums poster reidrans.... Wait, I'm getting breaking news, flight 370 is still missing!

:wow:

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Capfalcon posted:

There is a non-zero chance that the Mexicans he worked "side-by-side" with were illegal immigrants working for him on the cheap. Of course, this does nothing to dispute what you posted.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Mo_Steel posted:

Ahahaha I hope they legit prosecute him and deprive the Tea Partiers of their #1 choice for President in 2016.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The first 20 minutes of Maddow tonight were about the Sovereign Citizen movement and Bundy's rhetoric and whatnot; pretty good stuff

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And now he's telling CNN "I think I'm right", so we've gone from "out of context" to "just askin' questions" to "it's what I truly believe" in under 12 hours. Impressive.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

How can we make sure this guy keeps talking straight through 'til November?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Fly a drone over the BLM area where his cattle graze every couple of weeks. That'll keep it going.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

mdemone posted:

Invite him to the RNC

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mdemone posted:

Apparently just put a mic in front of his face.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why? Why is he still talking?

How hard is it not to gently caress up the messaging? If you want to call blacks lazy and imply welfare is worse than slavery and the Democrats are the real slaveowners, you just say something like

quote:

It's been 150 years after the Republicans under Abe Lincoln freed the slaves, but African Americans are not truly free. The Democratic party, true to form, has kept them second-class citizens: first with racist Jim Crow laws, and now (after Martin Luther King overcame them in the fine tradition of the Republicans of Lincoln's day) Democrats deny them dignity and keep them on the plantation of government dependency. Trapped in poverty by welfare they [blah blah blah, insert concern trolls about teen pregnancy, academic acheivement, and other bullshit ways to imply they are inferior]. And the pro-abortion Democratic Party kills an estimated eleventy-billion black babies every year.

That's it. That's all you have to do and it accomplishes the same thing. Your base will all get what you really mean, CNN will be too craven to call you out for fear of Fox calling them partisan. 50 years of coming up with dogwhistle tactics like this and Bundy still destroys any sympathy he might get from the general public and forces all but the craziest Republican politicians to flee from him.

Maybe that's the double-edged sword of Rush Limbaugh. The man is brilliant about making racism publicly acceptable again by cloaking it in euphemisms and going after anyone who points it out as a "race-baiter". But now the dumbest part of their base thinks it's okay to praise slavery and Jim Crow again in public again. They don't understand how Rush does it, so they think as long as they never outright say they hate black people then no one will think they are racist. So they just let it all hang out.

VVVVVV
Ha! Genius.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The flip side of a dog whistle is that the dogs themselves are quite audible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VitalSigns posted:

Why? Why is he still talking?

How hard is it not to gently caress up the messaging? If you want to call blacks lazy and imply welfare is worse than slavery and the Democrats are the real slaveowners, you just say something like

You do all that if you're a disciplined media wrangler with a coherent, pre-planned agenda. You do what he's doing here if you're a bona fide crank that a national party elevated to mascot status overnight.

• Locked thread