Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

dik-dik posted:

Before someone else says this less tactfully: this thread is generally pretty anti-Keurig. You probably won't find much Keurig-related advice here other than "get rid of it and replace it with actual coffee." Sorry.

For those of you brewing with the wave:

Anyone mind sharing their numbers with me? Specifically, brew ratios, mass of water per pour, timing of pours, etc. Thanks!

30 mg coffee ground at the 19 setting on Baratza encore for my chemex. 500 ml of water at 200 degrees brewed in under 3:30. You can go north or south and be fine.

Id like to say some things about decaf as buyer and father of a baby. For health reasons pregnant and nursing mothers need decaf. There are also good tasting Decafs and the price per pound is only a dollar higher at sweet Maria's. I read that higher price line a lot but when I source green coffee from Bigger importers/bulk the price is negligible. For example I've seen ones from 2.50 on up. most fall into the regular price of regular speciality coffee range of 3.10-4.50 to illustrate my point. With that said decaf generally makes up about 10% of business many shops say and even a 20 pound bag of super good sm coffee takes a long while to move. I'm stuck in that latter part. Add in that any Hawaii coffee is amazingly high in price and it makes it harder to find roasted. Just yesterday the price for a kona I was looking at was 17$ for a pound of green. They come in 100 pound bags but that's still a lot of money for coffee. Considering I can get a variety of good Decafs lower in cost it's hard to buy it you know?

My Ethiopian is pretty great for a decaf and on the cupping table you wouldn't know it was except for that slight baked bread Taste all (properly roasted!) Decafs seem to have to varying degrees. There are other ways than swiss water though and none are particularly weird.

One final thing about decaf. Much of the coke and Pepsi caffeine comes from the decaffeination process of coffee

With all of that said I hope I don't come across bad just wanting to share some stuff I continue to learn.

MasterControl fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I wish I knew more about teas/tisanes so I could answer this better. But in the world of tea you will find decaffeinated or naturally caffeine free options that will match the complexity and depth of flavor of great coffees much better than the majority of decaffeinated coffees. Unless you are into coffee for the unique texture/body qualities coffee has on offer tea will probably be a better area to look into for caffeine free hot beverages.

Edit mk3: This is from a roasted bean consumer prospective without the opportunities/prices a bulk green buyer has. That is a whole different nut I am still learning and was already covered better above.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 24, 2014

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Out of curiosity how many people work in an office with those flavia machines? Had it at my old jobs and my wife the same.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MasterControl posted:

Out of curiosity how many people work in an office with those flavia machines? Had it at my old jobs and my wife the same.

I used to. They really suck! But sometimes I would drink them anyway if I didn't have time to go out for good coffee.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

MasterControl posted:

We have one. I use it all the time, but it's not good. The coffee isn't even very caffeinated imo. FWIW the most tolerable drink I've gotten out of it is using 2-3 packets of 'French Roast' (Sumatra and Barista's blend are also near-tolerable, feel free to blend) on the 'over ice' setting. It's all pretty awful, but it's better than our old machine.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

MasterControl posted:

Those machines suck. They basically make Folgers but with more than 10x the packaging per cup. Good luck getting people to give up their Flavia Milky Way(tm) mocha "lattes" though.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Toshimo posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on sourcing decent prefab k-cups? We finally got a Keurig in at work, but it's pretty impractical to deal with the refillable metal cup here.

Even with great coffee you won't make a good cup with those, iirc. The amount of coffee + water potential ratios just can't do it very well due to the constraints of the machine? Or so I think I've read here.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

dik-dik posted:

Anyone mind sharing their numbers with me? Specifically, brew ratios, mass of water per pour, timing of pours, etc. Thanks!

Sure thing. I do a 16.5-16.7/1 ratio of water/beans. I'm continually playing with this, but generally pretty happy with that ratio. Sometimes I bump down to 16/1 if I want a bit stronger cup. For the bloom, I pour enough water to wet the grounds thoroughly, which, in the Wave, seems to usually be slightly more than twice the weight of the grounds (about 110ml bloom on 50g grounds an hour or so ago). For the Wave, I grind at 24 on my Virtuoso (18 for V60, 28 for Chemex). I have been doing a continuous pour lately (instead of pulse) and usually finish my pour right around 3:50-4:00, which means for smaller batches I am pouring verrrrrrrrrry slowly but for the 50g batch I brewed earlier, it's actually pretty quick, pouring about 200ml/minute.

becoming fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 24, 2014

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

withak posted:

Those machines suck. They basically make Folgers but with more than 10x the packaging per cup. Good luck getting people to give up their Flavia Milky Way(tm) mocha "lattes" though.

Too true. The price per packet is ok, it comes out to .56 a cup before shipping so in a way I understand why big offices buy them. That and "variety". The thing is you need two to even get a normal cup. They're 9g weight! I think even with a modest profit and someplace local you could beat the price as a vendor. They're part of Mars the candy company and the Mara drinks arm is even based in west chester pa. Lived there for 5 years and never knew.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
Has anyone experimented with adding the grounds to the water instead of the other way around with a press? It seems like pouring over the grounds from so high is exactly what you try to avoid with pour over coffee.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Bronze posted:

Has anyone experimented with adding the grounds to the water instead of the other way around with a press? It seems like pouring over the grounds from so high is exactly what you try to avoid with pour over coffee.

If you do it that way I think the grounds will float at the top more, it'll be less mixed overall. Also I think you want to avoid pouring from a height with pourover so that you don't overly agitate the beans/filter leading to ripping or uneven extraction? That's not a problem with french press due to coarser grind and lack of a paper filter I think.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Comic posted:

If you do it that way I think the grounds will float at the top more, it'll be less mixed overall. Also I think you want to avoid pouring from a height with pourover so that you don't overly agitate the beans/filter leading to ripping or uneven extraction? That's not a problem with french press due to coarser grind and lack of a paper filter I think.

It's all about the beans. You're not gonna rip a paper filter with even the sloppiest and fastest pour. You can overextract your beans, though. I noticed this immediately when brewing smaller batches with my V60-02, which, due to height, required a greater pour distance. I bought a V60-01 and everything was good. This made me an absolute believer in "buy the smallest brewer you need", at least as far as pour-over is concerned. (Same rule for press pots, but for a different reason.)

There's no way to avoid agitation with immersion brewers, as the grounds must be separated from the brewed coffee at the end. You can minimize the total agitation by gently pouring your hot water against the side of the press, much like you would pour a beer, and by pressing the plunger very gently. With the coarser grind used in a press pot, this is probably all just theory anyway - certainly you'll see an increase in TDS, all other things being equal, but will you taste it? I don't know.

I don't have the equipment to measure TDS, but I do have several press pots; I will make two batches side-by-side some time here in the next few days, one being gentle/avoiding agitation and one making no special effort to do so. I'll report back with my findings.

becoming fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 24, 2014

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
And another press question, mostly all instructions suggest temps between 195-205f but I'm sure the temp dips below 195 at least halfway through the 4 min brew time. Is that known and already built into the timing? Or is that why some press instructions suggest adding water in two stages? -- to keep the temp up.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bronze posted:

And another press question, mostly all instructions suggest temps between 195-205f but I'm sure the temp dips below 195 at least halfway through the 4 min brew time. Is that known and already built into the timing? Or is that why some press instructions suggest adding water in two stages? -- to keep the temp up.

That's roughly the temp it should be when you pour the water in, the fact that it will start cooling down over the next few minutes is really not a problem IMO, it's not going to cool so fast as to significantly slow the brewing process

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

Earwicker posted:

That's roughly the temp it should be when you pour the water in, the fact that it will start cooling down over the next few minutes is really not a problem IMO, it's not going to cool so fast as to significantly slow the brewing process

Okay. I'll focus on grind size and water/bean ratios. The Victrola Guatemalan beans are significantly more acidic than Peet's Uzuri African Blend. They both still have a bitterness that I'm not happy with. I've gone up from 34, 36, and now 38 on my Virtuoso. The numbers top out at 40 but it still clicks beyond that. I'll try 40 next.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

dik-dik posted:

Here's what I do! For the 185:

28g coffee
420g water

70-80g water in the first 10 seconds
Resume pouring at 30-35 seconds
Do circular pours, pausing every 30-50 grams (the first few will be bigger... my first pour after the bloom is usually ~100g itself). Don't fill to the top but also don't let the coffee bed start to show. Try to maintain a relatively even amount of water. Use the water to integrate high and dry grounds
Reach 420g at 2:15
Dripping should end around 2:45

This is all with a grind setting of 21-25 on a Virtuoso.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Bronze posted:

How anal do you want to be? Room temperature will have an effect on how quickly the water cools, as will how much time the water spends moving through the air (pouring from ten feet will cool the water more than pouring from ten centimeters)... pre-heating the press-pot, the type of lid on the press-pot (whether or not it is insulated), these will all have an effect. Can you taste it? Maybe you can, maybe you can't. That's why I recommend you keep a journal of your brews, the parameters you used, anything special you did, and most importantly, how the coffee tasted.

I have a close relative that manages a Starbucks. A few times each year, their standard 30% employee discount is bumped up to 40% for a week or so. I had her pick up one of Starbucks' new insulated 8-cup press-pots. It's normally $40, which I think is actually a pretty solid deal, but I paid $25.44 with tax. I'm really happy with it, especially at that price. The coffee is also noticeably hotter at the end of my brew than it is in my 8-cup Chambord. Does it taste better? I would need to do side-by-side to say for sure. I can say that I have been very happy with the results I've gotten from it.

I think insulated press-pots make a lot of sense from a durability standpoint, and probably also are slightly more friendly when it comes to repeatability. Frieling makes a very nice one with an insulated lid; George Howell has the lowest price that I've been able to find. https://store.georgehowellcoffee.com/brewers_grinders/frieling_stainless_steel_french_press.html

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

becoming posted:

I think insulated press-pots make a lot of sense from a durability standpoint, and probably also are slightly more friendly when it comes to repeatability. Frieling makes a very nice one with an insulated lid; George Howell has the lowest price that I've been able to find. https://store.georgehowellcoffee.com/brewers_grinders/frieling_stainless_steel_french_press.html

Yeah, but they also encourage people to leave their coffee in the french press which you shouldn't be doing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

rockcity posted:

Yeah, but they also encourage people to leave their coffee in the french press which you shouldn't be doing.

Why not? I love that muddy second cup

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Earwicker posted:

Why not? I love that muddy second cup

Over-extraction. I never do press-pot coffee into a Thermos for the same reason; by the time I drink it an hour later, the fines have over-extracted and turned perfectly good coffee into garbage to wash down the sink.

rockcity posted:

Agreed, but all of us here know better.

becoming fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 25, 2014

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Corla Plankun posted:

I don't think you're allowed to sperg about coffee and also drink decaf. Sorry.

I like the taste tho. :smith:

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

It's been mentioned, but Sweet Maria's usually has a wide range of unroasted decafs in stock, and home roasting is cheap and easy if you have the space. If you want decaf and really care about the quality, you'd probably be best off taking matters into your own hands.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

TheJeffers posted:

It's been mentioned, but Sweet Maria's usually has a wide range of unroasted decafs in stock, and home roasting is cheap and easy if you have the space. If you want decaf and really care about the quality, you'd probably be best off taking matters into your own hands.

Is home decaffeination a thing? Actually, gently caress it, why don't we just go full nerd and make transgenic coffee beans that don't even express caffeine? In theory you should be able to get coffee with no caffeine but with all the flavor of regular coffee. Please tell me one if you folks is a molecular biologist?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

dik-dik posted:

Is home decaffeination a thing?

Nope, it's only done at industrial scale with solvents, pressurized CO2, or hot water, depending on the method. There are only a few plants worldwide that do it. Sweet Maria's seems to favor Swiss water processing, which is a trademarked thing that you can read more about here.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Bonavita 1-Liter Variable Temperature Digital Electric Gooseneck Kettle

Only 7 in stock at $60 with free shipping.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

becoming posted:

How anal do you want to be? Room temperature will have an effect on how quickly the water cools, as will how much time the water spends moving through the air (pouring from ten feet will cool the water more than pouring from ten centimeters)... pre-heating the press-pot, the type of lid on the press-pot (whether or not it is insulated), these will all have an effect. Can you taste it? Maybe you can, maybe you can't. That's why I recommend you keep a journal of your brews, the parameters you used, anything special you did, and most importantly, how the coffee tasted.

Yea, not that anal -- just curious. I notched up to 40 on my virtuoso and the bitterness keeps dropping. The acidity of this roast of victrola is still powerful. I'll probably try to notch it up a couple more then start messing with ratios.

Got my hario 03 server in today. This thing is so tiny! Cute, and tiny.

2 left. Got one for myself. Lowest price I've seen.

Bronze fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 25, 2014

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Good news guys

http://www.longisland.com/news/04-25-14/coffee-could-prevent-diabetes.html

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

quote:

While having an extra cup a day could very well decrease your risk of type 2 diabetes, researchers warn that the caffeinated brew can only go so far, and that a healthy diet and lifestyle are vital to disease prevention. Coffee might have the potential to prevent diabetes, but loading up on excessive cream and sugar could be counterproductive.

Ahh. There we go. :eng101:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Oh god I hope I actually get one this time. Last time this happened I bought one and it got cancelled on ship day because they were out of stock. It says there are some left, but... :ohdear:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anyone else have a saeco aroma? I've been thinking of modding mine to add an instant read thermometer to the side of the boiler to get a better idea of how my temp surfing is going.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

That kettle is so amazing. My favorite feature is definitely the hold function, really handy when you're in a rush or getting ready for work.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Eugh this makes me even more mad that my massdrop purchase (for $77) is lost in some UPS black hole. Anyone here have experience cancelling with massdrop?

E: Cancelled the massdrop kettle, ordered the $60. Here's hoping this one arrives this year!

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 25, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are most of the French Presses the same in terms of effectively removing the grounds? I have a Bodum Chambord and have been eyeing some of the fancier ones but I can't tell if they are actually better at making coffee or just look prettier.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Oh by the way, Prima is indeed great. They refunded me for the filters they forgot to send quite quickly.
Also the wave and the ccd are aaaaaawesome. I started taking notes and playing with small adjustments to see how I like the result.

...it is really hard to not make a cup of coffee at like 10pm because I want to try a new combo though :P

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Are most of the French Presses the same in terms of effectively removing the grounds? I have a Bodum Chambord and have been eyeing some of the fancier ones but I can't tell if they are actually better at making coffee or just look prettier.

They are mostly pretty similar. The only standout is the Espro Press.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

If you have the 12-cup Chambord, Sweet Maria's sells a filter for $2.50 that fits in between the other layers on the plunger. It does a pretty fantastic job at removing fines. I would recommend you buy two though, as they are a bit delicate. I have ripped mine, and need to order another. Plunge very gently.

If you don't have the 12-cup Chambord, SM's sells it for $40, which is the cheapest I've seen it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Blargh I already bought an Able Kone last year so I'll just keep using that. Almost tastes the same.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

What's the thread's official opinion on the Fino kettle? I just ordered one on Amazon for $18. Figure it can't be terrible, can it?

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

To that one goon who got the OE LIDO 2 - How are you liking it so far? My Hario is producing way too many fines for some reason and it's all of my brews undrinkable. I'm wondering if I should just get an Encore, or save up longer and go all out for a LIDO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

TheJeffers posted:

Temple has decaf Dharma espresso blend now, I like taking my Mom a fresh batch when I visit.