Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pope Guilty posted:

In the tabletop game he's not terribly prominent, but he's an Anarch legend that nobody in their right mind fucks with.

In the card game, he's not a playable vampire but rather an event that you can use to hurt EVERYONE (you somewhat less than others).

The card game was pretty great. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

A kindly goon rehosted the 9.0 unofficial patch.

37th Chamber posted:

I also got tired of lovely mirrors, so here are some mirrors for the latest version (9.0), pick your poison:

:siren: Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines Unofficial Patch 9.0 (VTMBup90.exe) :siren:
Torrent (my hosting): http://sholin.net/VTMBup90.exe.torrent
Mega.co.nz: https://mega.co.nz/#!Y1hjybDa!ez8HoC-LS4lWL9QUUYrdLzZahYFX6dGGAz-Z02mN2ZQ
Mediafire: https://www.mediafire.com/?r8ahxdviioi6otk

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
That's great. Just picked up this game to give it a go, and was 20 minutes into a 4 hour wait for the patch to download from some lovely lovely host

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Lord Lambeth posted:

The OP seems to be highly out of date, is this all I would need for a great experience with the game? I recall trying out the game back when it went on sale the very first time a while back, but I didn't stick with it. I know I installed SOMETHING but I don't think I saw this thread then.

I tried clicking the link to the lighting mod listed and the whole site it was on is gone.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

The old Clan Quest Mod is probably not compatible with the new Unofficial Patch 9.0. UP 9.0 also contains a lighting mod in a Mod folder if you choose to install "Mods" from the checkbox during installation of the patch.

Clan Quest Mod includes version 7.9 of the Unofficial Patch. So I suppose you have two choices for the base game fixin'. Either the CQM where you also get extra quests but were the Unofficial Patch isn't wholly up to date (not necessarily a bad thing from what I understand). Or just Unofficial Patch 9.0 over the base game.

If you choose the second option you have another choice between bug-fixed vanilla version and an additional "plus" version (you choose plus or not during installation) where it restores cut content and the patch creator also tweaks things to make more sense thematically. Allegedly.

edit: As to which is a better experience? I really don't know. I haven't played the Clan Quest Mod and I don't know if the bug fixes between version 7.9 of the Unofficial Patch and 9.0 are significant. Also no idea if + version of the UP 9.0 is worth it over vanilla, I personally chose plus because of the cut content restoration. I'm only gonna play it once.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 25, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Xachariah posted:

The old Clan Quest Mod is probably not compatible with the new Unofficial Patch 9.0. UP 9.0 also contains a lighting mod in a Mod folder if you choose to install "Mods" from the checkbox during installation of the patch.

Clan Quest Mod includes version 7.9 of the Unofficial Patch. So I suppose you have two choices for the base game fixin'. Either the CQM where you also get extra quests but were the Unofficial Patch isn't wholly up to date (not necessarily a bad thing from what I understand). Or just Unofficial Patch 9.0 over the base game.

If you choose the second option you have another choice between bug-fixed vanilla version and an additional "plus" version (you choose plus or not during installation) where it restores cut content and the patch creator also tweaks things to make more sense thematically. Allegedly.

edit: As to which is a better experience? I really don't know. I haven't played the Clan Quest Mod and I don't know if the bug fixes between version 7.9 of the Unofficial Patch and 9.0 are significant. Also no idea if + version of the UP 9.0 is worth it over vanilla, I personally chose plus because of the cut content restoration. I'm only gonna play it once.

You really owe it to yourself to play it twice at least, with the second one being a malkavian run. Its not "Witcher 2" level of differentiation, but it really has a lot of subtle and interesting bits to it, plus entirely different scripts at times.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd side with the Clan Quest Mod, as it does have quite a few options for expanding the base game, and that's never a bad thing. Mind you, it does have some amateurish voice acting, but bless 'em, they actually make an effort.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

OAquinas posted:

You really owe it to yourself to play it twice at least, with the second one being a malkavian run. Its not "Witcher 2" level of differentiation, but it really has a lot of subtle and interesting bits to it, plus entirely different scripts at times.

I just have a lot of trouble finishing any game a second time round, I remember too much of the original and get super bored super fast when playing through stuff I've already done.

I've only managed it for like two games ever so I'm not wholly optimistic about my attention span for repeating any game.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

Thank You very much. :)

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Xachariah posted:

Did we get an answer on what is the most stable combinations of Clan Quest, Camarilla Edition and Wesp Patches? I am unsure from reading the last few pages.

I used the downloader for Clan Quest 3.0, that apparently contains Camarilla 1.4 and Wesp 7.9.

Can I do better? Apparently Camarilla Edition is at its final beyond 1.6.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

CatchrNdRy posted:

Did we get an answer on what is the most stable combinations of Clan Quest, Camarilla Edition and Wesp Patches? I am unsure from reading the last few pages.

I used the downloader for Clan Quest 3.0, that apparently contains Camarilla 1.4 and Wesp 7.9.

Can I do better? Apparently Camarilla Edition is at its final beyond 1.6.

The thing that the Clan Quest installer does is make all the mods play nicely together. Apparently mixing even fairly unrelated mods together without some finessing can result in gameplay issues.

Allegedly the CQ guy is working with Wesp to make an update, but progress has been glacial and he is fairly uncommunicative.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I haven't updated the OP much because frankly not much has changed. Don't mix mods, you will corrupt your entire install.

Camarilla alone honestly isn't that worth it. If you're going to play, play with the Unofficial Patch 9.0 OR just play with the Clan Quest Mod 3.0.

Those are your two ideal viable options. UP you can do Plus or not, doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Camarilla alone honestly isn't that worth it.

That's just, like, your opinion, man. The CQ Pack also includes a whole bunch of other fiddly diddly stuff people might like to install, and it all works together.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It's neogaf but... here's a nice collection of visual improvement mods all on one page, found with a Google search: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=646159

Also, you bastards are making me reinstall the game! Again!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Gyrotica posted:

That's just, like, your opinion, man. The CQ Pack also includes a whole bunch of other fiddly diddly stuff people might like to install, and it all works together.

The point is that Camarilla is in the CQ mod and the additions in the new Camarilla are minor. Clan Quest's installer makes it the easiest to customize and play around with to make the game play how you want, hence it's still the better choice.

Aka exactly what's written in the OPs.

enkalen
May 26, 2013
Has anyone tries the Final nights mod? I have it downloaded, but right now i am running with the 9.0 patch. It'b been years since I've played, so I want to run through once with the patch.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Fuzz posted:

The point is that Camarilla is in the CQ mod and the additions in the new Camarilla are minor. Clan Quest's installer makes it the easiest to customize and play around with to make the game play how you want, hence it's still the better choice.

Aka exactly what's written in the OPs.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood what you were getting at.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

King Vidiot posted:

It's neogaf but... here's a nice collection of visual improvement mods all on one page, found with a Google search: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=646159

Also, you bastards are making me reinstall the game! Again!

The textures replacements are loving terrible, it can be referred to as an upgrade only in strictly literal sense since the textures have highers resolution but they don't mesh with the game nor with each other. It's probably what a texture replacement would look like if I did it :v:

If you want to see this approach taken to a terrifying extreme look up "FakeFactory Cinematic Mod" for Half-Life 2. You have been warned! (Also potentially mildly NSFW.)

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 26, 2014

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

lordfrikk posted:

If you want to see this approach taken to a terrifying extreme look up "FakeFactory Cinematic Mod" for Half-Life 2. You have been warned! (Also potentially mildly NSFW.)

If it weren't for the new models (the female models specifically but even Breen looks terrifying) I'd definitely try this for a playthrough of HL2. It's technically really impressive.

Meanwhile those 'texture mods' looks absolutely terrible.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, the texture mods are poo poo, but that lighting tweak with SweetFX looks like it could be good. At the last you can get some HDR like action going, though in practice I dunno how ridiculous it would look. I bet Hollywood would look great, though.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Who the gently caress plays Bloodlines and thinks "Man if only everything was brighter and cleaner looking!"

EDIT:

lordfrikk posted:

I legitimately cannot stop laughing at the character models. That loving first picture of Breen makes me die every time, oh lord.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 26, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

lordfrikk posted:

The textures replacements are loving terrible, it can be referred to as an upgrade only in strictly literal sense since the textures have highers resolution but they don't mesh with the game nor with each other. It's probably what a texture replacement would look like if I did it :v:

The selectively-chosen screenshots looked good, I don't know. But as soon as I booted the game up and saw everything in action I regretted it immediately. Now I'm just wondering if there's any good way to get rid of all that crap without possibly loving up my install.

I should take some screenshots, it gets really bad. The Sin Bin in Hollywood has stupid DeviantArt pin-ups on all of the peep show doors, the convenience store has garish, bright red-and-white checkered patterns on everything, and there are random places where there's some kind of scrolling series of images (also presumably from DeviantArt).

That all aside, what file, .ini or otherwise, can I change to increase the draw distance? It's distracting seeing people gliding along the ground in low-poly mode and then suddenly being fully animated with higher polys.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
This game is certainly rough around the edges. I needed something to fill me in between The Wolf Among us, and this more than satisfied that so far. The default keybinds are really questionable though, as I keep activating powers accidentally and I keep sucking peoples blood instead of talking to them. I think my favorite glitch is taking damage on top of the corpse of a dead dog, as if he's still attacking me. Guns are incredibly weak it seems, if anything they appear to be good for just luring people. Good thing I invested in fists though, it's really satisfying.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I'm running around at hyperspeed as the world's most fashionable crazed axe murderer. Toreador is a fun clan to play.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Played Tremere my very first time through and now that I got the game on Steam I've been playing Malkavian. Dementate is pretty great also all the foreshadowing.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Avocados posted:

This game is certainly rough around the edges. I needed something to fill me in between The Wolf Among us, and this more than satisfied that so far. The default keybinds are really questionable though, as I keep activating powers accidentally and I keep sucking peoples blood instead of talking to them. I think my favorite glitch is taking damage on top of the corpse of a dead dog, as if he's still attacking me. Guns are incredibly weak it seems, if anything they appear to be good for just luring people. Good thing I invested in fists though, it's really satisfying.

Guns are really crappy to start but once you've got some skill points into them they become pretty drat powerful.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Upmarket Mango posted:

Guns are really crappy to start but once you've got some skill points into them they become pretty drat powerful.
And better guns to shoot. I think the first really good one is the big revolver.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, you really need guns if you want to take down Xiao Also the flamethrower is really drat good.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm in a silly state of indecision whether to play a Malk or a Nosferatu. Already beaten the game with a Tremere and a Toreador, so figured I'd do it with one of the 'different' clans. Maybe I'll roll with a lady Malk just for the hilarity of fire axe mayhem.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Comic posted:

If it weren't for the new models (the female models specifically but even Breen looks terrifying) I'd definitely try this for a playthrough of HL2. It's technically really impressive.

Meanwhile those 'texture mods' looks absolutely terrible.

Last I checked (granted I think the last version I played was 6 and they're up to 13 now) you didn't have to use the new models, thank god. There was a little utility included where you could swap the new "hi-res" models (the ones where everyone looks terrifying and different) with actual hi-resolution versions of the old models (or like 12 different naked versions of Alyx) that looked slightly out of place since their models weren't quite as updated/fancy, but still looked way better. That on top of the surprisingly good-taste modifications to the lighting, textures, and maps (the new music is pretty poo poo, it just adds in music from The Dark Knight in places) make it a very different game. Seriously, just check out those comparison screenshots, it's pretty incredible. It's actually a pretty good way to re-play Half-Life 2 if you've been meaning to do it and have like 30GB of harddrive space burning a hole in your pocket.

All the VtM texture mods still look like poo poo though.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

DeathChicken posted:

I'm in a silly state of indecision whether to play a Malk or a Nosferatu. Already beaten the game with a Tremere and a Toreador, so figured I'd do it with one of the 'different' clans. Maybe I'll roll with a lady Malk just for the hilarity of fire axe mayhem.

The special dialogues alone make a Malk playthrough worthwhile. Gameplay-wise, Malks lend themselves well to melee builds; every clan outside of Tremere can technically be a good melee fighter, but Obfuscate and Dementation allows you to be like a crit ninja with good stunlocks as opposed to the tankier or power builds that other clans' disciplines provide.

Nosferatu get their own hideout but I got really bored of traveling through sewers all the time.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you've never played a Malkavian, you need to. It's awesome. The dialogue is so incredibly well done and the amount of detail that goes into the foreshadowing is amazing, and you'll only really notice it on a second or third playthrough because a lot of it comes well in advance of the actual events, and it's done in such a way that it doesn't give anything away, it's just an "oh poo poo, that's what that meant!" kind of thing on a replay.

IIRC, you actually foretell the ending of the game(one of them, at least) in your first conversation with Jack this way.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So im a big murderous scary vampire with a fire axe but I'm swinging it frantically at everything that moves in the Ocean Hotel :stonk:.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Avocados posted:

So im a big murderous scary vampire with a fire axe but I'm swinging it frantically at everything that moves in the Ocean Hotel :stonk:.

There's a reason that stage keeps showing up every time people talk about scary stuff in gaming.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Do any of the fan patches change the claw attack animations of the Protean skill?

I remember trying to play an unarmed Gangrel a few years back and being really frustrated since the twirling in the attack animation would never hit anything
and would leave you wide open to counter attacks.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
So I'm playing CQM with Camarilla... I have no points in brawl, but I can't even suck a rat. Is this normal or glitch?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

CatchrNdRy posted:

So I'm playing CQM with Camarilla... I have no points in brawl, but I can't even suck a rat. Is this normal or glitch?

Which clan are you running? If it's Ventrue, then there's no glitch, they just can't suck rats period. If it's not...I dunno.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
You will never regret points in Brawl.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Go with a Malk just because the nosferatu are very underwhelming when it comes to any real difference, unless more recent mods/patches have changed things it just means you walk down the middle of the completely carless roads and never worry about things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Davin Valkri posted:

Which clan are you running? If it's Ventrue, then there's no glitch, they just can't suck rats period. If it's not...I dunno.

This is my 3rd runthrough, but first Malk. (and first with mods other than Wesp stuff) When I was Ventrue, Iwould just vomit out blood when I ate rats. but with 0 in brawl, every attempt "fails". With CQM this is becoming an issue (is there a way to change the blood timer settings? I find it annoying). I've never NOT put points in brawl before, I thought I could at least survive on bums and rats.

e: grammar

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 27, 2014

• Locked thread