Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Man, it's hilarious that the M60 is worse than BARs and squad automatic weapon versions of FALs.

Insert name here posted:

Good thing the KSP m/58 isn't the weapon that's he's talking about then!

umm...

Mortabis posted:

The fact that a BAR in a Swedish rechambering is one of the best machine guns in the game is downright hilarious. It was a bad weapon in 1939.

Mortabis posted:

in a Swedish rechambering

TheFluff posted:

The Swedish reservists have Kg m/37 which is indeed a license-produced BAR with some modifications (see link, it's in English). Ksp m/58 is a FN MAG chambered for 6.5×55mm (the Swedish Mauser caliber) and IIRC it's only used by the Kustjägare. Ksp m/58B is the same weapon but rechambered for 7.62mm NATO, and it's used by everyone else.

:spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Shanakin posted:

Cool. Thanks, that should be handy.

Meanwhile here's what I've been spending far too much time doing.

Yes, I do believe that's every infantry MG in the game.

Not every vehicle MMG in the game though, I got bored at that point

Overnight MadMat messaged me on steam:"since you've became the new Myth Buster here, could you apply your science to the American M60. The RoF display is actually just a display, I'm pretty sure 99% of the people calling it the worst MG are only checking that stat and not using it ingame."

I just linked him the first picture and said "it is the worst though :V" :haw:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Xerxes17 posted:

Overnight MadMat messaged me on steam:"since you've became the new Myth Buster here, could you apply your science to the American M60. The RoF display is actually just a display, I'm pretty sure 99% of the people calling it the worst MG are only checking that stat and not using it ingame."

Oh dear. Shouldn't the devs know how their system works? Or is MadMat not directly involved with the unit programming side of things?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

He's not :P

IMO, make a baseline Assault Rifle, Battle Rifle, SMG, LMG, MMG, and assign them stats. The only variable from that point on from that base statline should be the unit carrying's classification, which could give a bonus to that weapons' accuracy. Modelling each weapon just leads to a loving mess.

Gonna ask Eugen if its too late for work on an Ultra Patch yet :P

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 25, 2014

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

xthetenth posted:

Man, it's hilarious that the M60 is worse than BARs and squad automatic weapon versions of FALs.

umm...
Mortabis posted that the BAR is one of the best MGs in the game (which it isn't), Dezztroy posted that it isn't even in the top half (cause it's not), and then you responded with where the KSP m/58s landed on the list, which isn't relevant because they aren't BARs. :confused:

But yeah M60s and PKMs being literally the worst MGs in the game is pretty :wtf: and :laffo: in equal measures.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Yeah my bad about the BAR, although it is shockingly good all things considered. I was thinking of it in terms of "all CQC MGs > all not-CQC MGs."

Dandywalken posted:

He's not :P

IMO, make a baseline Assault Rifle, Battle Rifle, SMG, LMG, MMG, and assign them stats. The only variable from that point on from that base statline should be the unit carrying's classification, which could give a bonus to that weapons' accuracy. Modelling each weapon just leads to a loving mess.

This is obviously how it should be done. Just make all CQC MGs the same and all not-CQC MGs the same.

VVVV Yes and the actual squad-level machine gun was the M249 much earlier.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
How come Riflemen '90s don't use the M240? I thought the Army switched over to those?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The French mgs are pretty bad. Are Commandos Marine really worth 40 points? They're the most expensive SF squad I think and while they're a 15 man squad they don't have an 875m rpg like Komandosi. I hope their AR and squad size make up for the middling MG and short (but pretty good) RPG. On a phone right now, can anyone check?

Dang that chart is handy. And no Commando Marine don't deserve to be the most expensive SF they're very much the middle of the pack in HE and have an AT weapon that is only OK. Nothing compared to an RPG 16 or PZF 3000. I guess they're slightly more survivable against wet farts or whatever kills only part of an infantry squad

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 25, 2014

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

AR looks pretty average for an elite squad. LRAC has good accuracy but mediocre AP and range; the PzF 3 is better in every way. We know about the AA-52.

So, no, probably not worth 40 points, especially not in a deck where you can get FSJs.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's the rationale for the G11 having perfect accuracy on the move? Is it on a steady cam harness like in Aliens?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Mortabis posted that the BAR is one of the best MGs in the game (which it isn't), Dezztroy posted that it isn't even in the top half (cause it's not), and then you responded with where the KSP m/58s landed on the list, which isn't relevant because they aren't BARs. :confused:

But yeah M60s and PKMs being literally the worst MGs in the game is pretty :wtf: and :laffo: in equal measures.

I figured that the whole rechambering thing made them just as much the right ones, and they're still old and mediocre guns.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I think the Ksp 58/58B are mixed up either in the chart or in the game. Back in ALB beta they were originally the same weapon, but then the Kustjägare got the 6.5mm variant with CQC for flavor reasons, and the regular 7.62mm version was renamed Ksp 58B.

The Hemvärnsmän's Kg m/37 being CQC and able to fire on the move like a special forces weapon is hilarious though. Get off my lawn Delta Force whippersnappers with your newfangled plastic guns, here come the old grumpy men with some REAL weapons (19th century Mausers complete with bayonets + pre-WW2 machine guns).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Well I'd hardly call the FN MAG mediocre and lovely; everyone still uses the drat thing for a reason (the US version is the M240 if that puts things into perspective). Does it even count as a rechambering if the original gun uses 7.62 NATO as standard? I mean I guess the original Swede version was in a different calibre and then they moved it back to 7.62 NATO so I guess it's technically rechambered.

Arglebargle III posted:

What's the rationale for the G11 having perfect accuracy on the move? Is it on a steady cam harness like in Aliens?
Space gun means space accuracy, duh

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I've made an attempt at dropping a truth bomb:

http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=44307&p=550210#p550210

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I might have missed it posted earlier in the thread, but apparently MadMat has being doing some posts about several units that were considered to be added when they were making Red Dragon, but discarded for reasons: http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=44357

He's got France, West Germany and USA done so far.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

poo poo, France missed out on a modern IFV family with bushmaster cannons or tank destroyer guns and likely HOT 2/3 access, since they are not adding the HOT 2 to the VAB Mephisto. They may already have units in those roles but they're very long in the tooth for RD's time frame. The AMX-13 or AMX-10P MILAN are both sort of joke/gimmick units because of their outdated weapons. French National could have really used those new IFVs.

Also AMX-30 Roland 3 with 6 missile tubes gently caress yeah! Pretty obvious why they didn't put that in, although it would have been decently fair at 100 points probably.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

LOSAT would have been neat, with its reversed distance/damage rule for a KE weapon.

And Marder 2 should have been in, gently caress every naysayer :(

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Dandywalken posted:

LOSAT would have been neat, with its reversed distance/damage rule for a KE weapon.

I don't particularly care for the LOSAT itself but I thought it was pretty funny that the reason they didn't add it was "well we couldn't figure out how to add it properly but then we went and did the Starstreak and realised it had the same problem so we gave it a shot and it turned out ok but we didn't go back and do the LOSAT because :effort:"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They decided not to give the US a Patriot because "we don't want to do an I-Hawk again and motorize something that wasn't" and decided not to give US a Roland because "they already have the I-Hawk." :cripes: :eugen:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Insert name here posted:

I don't particularly care for the LOSAT itself but I thought it was pretty funny that the reason they didn't add it was "well we couldn't figure out how to add it properly but then we went and did the Starstreak and realised it had the same problem so we gave it a shot and it turned out ok but we didn't go back and do the LOSAT because :effort:"

Real answer is the US absolutely doesn't need another god tier ATGM mounted on a light vehicle. US have TOW 2s and Hellfires coming out the rear end already. UK on the other hand had an ancient MCLOS system and a Milan 1 jeep.

The I-Hawk and Chap on the other hand are very much not Rolands.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Arglebargle III posted:

Real answer is the US absolutely doesn't need another god tier ATGM mounted on a light vehicle. US have TOW 2s and Hellfires coming out the rear end already. UK on the other hand had an ancient MCLOS system and a Milan 1 jeep.

The I-Hawk and Chap on the other hand are very much not Rolands.

Or ADATS for that matter

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Insert name here posted:

Space gun means space accuracy, duh

Stealin this.

Also why does 60% stability appear as "less good" than 60% accuracy? Isn't no accuracy loss on moving the best you can hope for?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Wait is this how Starstreak works? Because that 12 HEAT AP always looked kinda anemic.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I hope not tbh, because 12 HEAT IS drat anemic!

I've honest to god never played a Brit deck that had it, because I am very bad you see.

I'd want 24 AP or so or fuckit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLXhPoxytsM

Jesus christ this French guy is badass/stupid.

Also the Mirage III is a really pretty aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEe3xfWfkG8

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 25, 2014

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

After googling a bit I can't figure out what the I.MG3 is supposed to be. All the gun nerds seem to think the MG3 is great but an awkward clumsy weapon best suited for vehicle or tripod use.

quote:

but showing how bad the M60/PKM would still suck at 770 meters might help your case even more.

Based on my trials with the MG3, base accuracy would only go up about 7-8% by 770m. They might still curve to high accuracy at medium range faster than short range MGs.

quote:

[Centurions are] excellent defensive chaff even if they're bad offensive chaff. My offensive chaff when I can get them is more likely to be stuff like the French wheel tanks and Ferret Entacs (although if I can get away with it that'll usually be most of my attack). Then again one of my most common decks is a blufor motorized deck where basically all my tanks are what would be called chaff in other decks, so I have room for a card of purely defensive chaff that's there so I can make it slower to push into me and give my infantry time to move and/or give me time to concentrate the rolly tanks to counterpush and screen them when they get there.

yeah defensive roles are underappreciated. I tend to prefer vehicle tab stuff like recoilless rifle m113s for it but YMMV naturally.

I believe someone mentioned using recon as combat units. The AMX-13 recon I mentioned is purely fantastic for this. It's wonderful to have 6-8 Good Optics units rolling at the front of an attack.

I love the Chinese recon tank too but I never feel I have enough of them to use them outside the recon/sniper role. It's probably undercosted too tbh.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 25, 2014

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So is anyone good with differential equations? Shan would like to talk to you about area calculations for HE splash. Basically, someone has reported that up to 50% of a the radius it's full damage, then from that point to the edge it's a linear drop off to zero. So getting the HE/area in the first part is easy, but not so for the 2nd.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

I hope not tbh, because 12 HEAT IS drat anemic!

I've honest to god never played a Brit deck that had it, because I am very bad you see.

I'd want 24 AP or so or fuckit.

I think that the idea is that it doesn't matter if it's a little anemic since it's also anti-aircraft so you're in principle covered against most threats with just one launcher.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Xerxes17 posted:

So is anyone good with differential equations? Shan would like to talk to you about area calculations for HE splash. Basically, someone has reported that up to 50% of a the radius it's full damage, then from that point to the edge it's a linear drop off to zero. So getting the HE/area in the first part is easy, but not so for the 2nd.

It's been ~3 years since I took that class and I've never used it since but I might be able to help this weekend.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Xerxes17 posted:

http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/emt725/Frustum/Frustum.cone.html

You can treat the damage within the area as a third dimension, thereby reducing the problem to finding the volume of the equivalent solid. In this case the solid you're looking for is the frustrum of a circular cone.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

After googling a bit I can't figure out what the I.MG3 is supposed to be. All the gun nerds seem to think the MG3 is great but an awkward clumsy weapon best suited for vehicle or tripod use.
I've literally never noticed it was actually called I.MG3 until now. The small font and me just glancing over infantry stats I've always just read it as LMG3. In either case I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be a separate gun anyway but rather just a difference in how they're set up and deployed, like the STAT variant is just the dudes rocking belts while the CQC variant is dudes rocking attachable ammo boxes or some poo poo (while also being badasses who roll around firing MG3s on the move). :shrug:

Xerxes17 posted:

I'm sure some math nerd will call me retarded and wrong, but isn't it as simple as just finding out how much it's reduced per meter and then going from there since it's linear? Like, if something did 100 damage out to 5 meters, and linearly dropped to 0 out to 10 meters, then the damage at 6m would be 80, the damage at 7m would be 60 and so on.

E: Unless I missed something huge and important, which happens all the time

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 25, 2014

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Yes you and 1337JiveTurkey are right, it's just a cone. It's still some multivariable calculus but not any complicated diffie. In fact you can simplify it to single-variable integrals.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I was tired last night and must've misremembered what Shan said as to why he was all "gently caress that" at the time v:v:v

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Davin Valkri posted:

By the way, Shanakin, since I'm sure this would come up if you brought your data to the forums and stuff now, is the CtH/distance relationship such that you can tell the DPS for all the machine guns at 980, 875, and 770 meters? I mean, it's still good right now, but showing how bad the M60/PKM would still suck at 770 meters might help your case even more.

We don't actually have an equation for it so I can't tell you exactly, but baseed on deadlyshoe's (I think?) table it should be no more than a few % difference.
edit: looks like I got beat to this actually.

Xerxes17 posted:

Clearly it was well timed that I stayed up all night compiling that.

Arglebargle III posted:

The French mgs are pretty bad. Are Commandos Marine really worth 40 points? They're the most expensive SF squad I think and while they're a 15 man squad they don't have an 875m rpg like Komandosi. I hope their AR and squad size make up for the middling MG and short (but pretty good) RPG. On a phone right now, can anyone check?

Dang that chart is handy. And no Commando Marine don't deserve to be the most expensive SF they're very much the middle of the pack in HE and have an AT weapon that is only OK. Nothing compared to an RPG 16 or PZF 3000. I guess they're slightly more survivable against wet farts or whatever kills only part of an infantry squad
From memory, the SG-543 is an above average SF rifle which helps a bit, but not G11 good.

Xerxes17 posted:

I already know how to do this, I just need to integrate the volume under the curve but was feeling pretty :effort: about doing it last night.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/emt725/Frustum/Frustum.cone.html

You can treat the damage within the area as a third dimension, thereby reducing the problem to finding the volume of the equivalent solid. In this case the solid you're looking for is the frustrum of a circular cone.

Exactly my plan. Although I was being stupid at the time and thinking I'd have to integrate the volume of a solid of revolution. This is a much nicer way of doing it.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 25, 2014

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Dandywalken posted:

It would kinda bug me in the "unfielded prototype becoming a main unit" sense but maybe not so much since it was supposed to actually be fielded in numbers and only wasn't because the Cold War ended, or something.

MadMat is saying it lacks uniqueness! It's an IFV with a tank's armor. A more anti-tank focused BMPT that also carries infantry. If that's not unique I don't know what is.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I think a hot war would have the effect of a lot of prototypes being rushed out of the lab to actual battle so I personally don't mind it. I still where you're coming from though.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Elukka posted:

If that's not unique I don't know what is.

AC-130H?
BLU-82?
AGM-136 Tacit Rainbow?
CRRC?
M60 AVLB?
Airdrops and parachute deployment of special forces?
PACV or LCAC?
Ekranoplanes?
Starstreak MANPADS?
Otomatic? (Who cares if nobody actually bought one. It's a 76 mm autocannon strapped on a tank.)
Copperhead rounds?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

[EUG]Dev: that's an interesting chart
[EUG]Dev: I wished we had such ... :)

:negative:

Edit: I also added napalm/HE/cluster bombs to my chart.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 25, 2014

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

oh lawd

They really don't know what they're doing when it comes to balance. They need a balance guy. :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

oh lawd

They really don't know what they're doing when it comes to balance. They need a balance guy. :|

They have three. Panzer who we know nothing about aside from the fact his word is law because he is The Boss. MadMat who goes by "the feels" and FLX who tries for a more numbers based approach but is often overruled by the other two.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 25, 2014

• Locked thread