Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

menieres_4_life posted:

This may have been answered earlier, but can I summon a bro who is on an Xbox?

Nope.

Stringbean posted:

Whats up with these tiny rear end summon signs I'm seeing :|

Small White Signs. Summon bros to kill some enemies on a short timer, and then they leave (and become human/get an item for their troubles).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

menieres_4_life posted:

This may have been answered earlier, but can I summon a bro who is on an Xbox?

no

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Stringbean posted:

Whats up with these tiny rear end summon signs I'm seeing :|

That's from the Small White Soapstones, you summon Shades instead of Phantoms, since they have a shorter time limit, and it's either the more kills made or souls gathered (I don't know specifics) that their duty is fulfilled once that counter is fulfilled. They get Smooth and SIlky Stones for their reward. It's good for those who just want a nice random reward, souls and getting some humanity back once done instead of doing the whole level. Estus, Magic charges and durability refills too.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

I assume you are using the 3rd party DS4 thing right?

Yep the last release not the newest beta.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I can't get my Logitech controller to work right with this game. All the buttons are mixed up. I tried using x360ce but no dice. Has anyone using a third party controller gotten it to work?

Moog
Sep 14, 2013
2 hours later and I still can't get the timing for guard break and jumping attack. Someone please tell me the secret to getting these to work, I'm so frustrated with this poo poo that I'm not playing any more until I figure it out.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I can't get my Logitech controller to work right with this game. All the buttons are mixed up. I tried using x360ce but no dice. Has anyone using a third party controller gotten it to work?

Does it have a mode button? I had to hit mine a few times for it to have movement on the left analog, for example.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Do summoning signs show up as your character name or your steam name in this?

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Mondlicht posted:

Does it have a mode button? I had to hit mine a few times for it to have movement on the left analog, for example.

Yeah, no change with that either.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

How high is your ADP?

The cleric starts with 4, so it's rough all round.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

:stonk: I have finally been initiated into Dark Souls. I have died. At least a dozen times just on my way to Majula or whatever that first town is. I would aggro enemies, run away from them, lose track of where I was going on then tumble off a cliff. I was at one point fighting these tiny little pig things alongside a well that looks like something out of 300 and yep, those little zombie piglets Leonidas'd me into that loving chasm of a well. The only thing I did well all night was kill some poison dudes as I was wandering around.

So here are my total newbie questions. First, all I have is this garbage starting equipment and my sword is broken or something. What do I do about that? Do you typically find new equipment in this game or is it more common to buy poo poo? I assume I need to help this blacksmith dude find his key right? Next, I reached the 50% health loss in no time at all. What do I do to fix that? Lastly, what do you do at bonfires? Right now it looks like nothing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fat_Cow posted:

Do summoning signs show up as your character name or your steam name in this?
CharName, I think.

Getting that straight sword in the Forest of the Giants really helped make things easier. I just picked a direction at random from Majula and its working out okay, I guess.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

You've wandered into this game's new londo ruins. Try going somewhere else dude.

There isn't anywhere else though? Only places I found are here and some place with a statue blocking the way. This would be managable if I could just figure out the pattern of the mace guy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
^^^Did you talk to everyone in Majula? There's a guy there who will point you the "right" way.

Ice Fist posted:

So here are my total newbie questions. First, all I have is this garbage starting equipment and my sword is broken or something. What do I do about that?

Get a blacksmith to repair it, and pay more attention to your weapon durability next time.

Ice Fist posted:

Do you typically find new equipment in this game or is it more common to buy poo poo?

Both are good.

Ice Fist posted:

I assume I need to help this blacksmith dude find his key right?

Well, he did tell you to. Chop chop!

Ice Fist posted:

Next, I reached the 50% health loss in no time at all. What do I do to fix that?

Use a Human Effigy to restore your maximum health.

Ice Fist posted:

Lastly, what do you do at bonfires? Right now it looks like nothing.

Warp, stash items, attune spells.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Ice Fist posted:

So here are my total newbie questions. First, all I have is this garbage starting equipment and my sword is broken or something. What do I do about that? Do you typically find new equipment in this game or is it more common to buy poo poo? I assume I need to help this blacksmith dude find his key right? Next, I reached the 50% health loss in no time at all. What do I do to fix that? Lastly, what do you do at bonfires? Right now it looks like nothing.

You should be watching your weapon durability (the red bar under the weapon). It recharges at bonfires, but only if it's not totally broken.

You buy the key to the blacksmith's workshop at the second bonfire of the Forest of the Giants.

Eat a Human Effigy to return to human. Don't burn it, this disables online play for roughly an hour.

Bonfires are where you attune spells, burn poo poo (you won't be doing this until later), and warp between bonfires.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

There isn't anywhere else though? Only places I found are here and some place with a statue blocking the way. This would be managable if I could just figure out the pattern of the mace guy.

In a complete dick move, the "right" starting area is directly behind where you enter Majula. There is a cliffside pathway near the bonfire.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but my new PC copy is not responding to gamepads. I've tried both my DS4 with DS4Tool, and then my official 360 Controller for Windows - the only think that worked was the DS4's touchpad mouse function. Besides that, nothing. Is this a known issue with a fix?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

HellCopter posted:

Eat a Human Effigy to return to human. Don't burn it, this disables online play for roughly an hour.
Doesn't burning it just disable getting invaded for an hour? Or does it actually disable summoning too?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sex Robot posted:

The general gist I'm getting from most forums at the moment is anyone with any criticisms for Dark Souls II is a lying nerd. You lying nerd.

Which part supposed to be a lie exactly?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also you guys weren't kidding about the preorder weapons being junk. I guess they'll come in handy if everything else breaks?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

BreakAtmo posted:

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but my new PC copy is not responding to gamepads. I've tried both my DS4 with DS4Tool, and then my official 360 Controller for Windows - the only think that worked was the DS4's touchpad mouse function. Besides that, nothing. Is this a known issue with a fix?

Have you checked the Hide Controller option for the DS4? Someone else brought it up and it worked for me, but had to restart the game for it to work.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
AutoHotkey script for those using KB+M controls, first make sure left click and right click are unbound from attacks. Honestly I unbound everything in my mouse keybind section.

Then you use this:

#IfWinActive, ahk_class DarkSouls2
~*LButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

~*RButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{g}
return

The ~ means that the left click still goes through. It will now also send a keypress, in this example I used h and g. The SetKeyDelay is needed for key press duration.

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 25, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Internet Kraken posted:

Look over next to the coast, around the Emerald Herald lady. There's a door down right on the edge of the cliff near where you come in to town.

Elysiume posted:

Doesn't burning it just disable getting invaded for an hour? Or does it actually disable summoning too?

It also disables summoning, but the effect is only in the area attached to that particular bonfire. Learned this the hard way. You might still be able to summon NPCs though?

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 25, 2014

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Make sure you are hiding your DS4 controller with the tool and restart the game with it hidden. If you have the DStool running without it hidden it might be screwing up even your xbox controller.

For DS1 vets especially: don't play too cautiously. In DS2 enemies are more likely to run down your stamina and stagger you or use a shield break. Turtling isn't always the best option.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

neetengie posted:

Have you checked the Hide Controller option for the DS4? Someone else brought it up and it worked for me, but had to restart the game for it to work.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Make sure you are hiding your DS4 controller with the tool and restart the game with it hidden. If you have the DStool running without it hidden it might be screwing up even your xbox controller.

Well poo poo, it worked. You guys are the true sunbros.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I've assisted three times on the Pursuer.
1. Killed by friendly fire ballista
2. Host died
3. Killed by friendly fire ballista
Moving on...

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Elysiume posted:

I've assisted three times on the Pursuer.
1. Killed by friendly fire ballista
2. Host died
3. Killed by friendly fire ballista
Moving on...

Dark Souls II introduces brand new methods of griefing hosts/phantoms, some which are especially devious. I love it.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Christ on a crutch, how the hell did they gently caress up the mouse+keyboard controls so bad? I didn't think we'd need DSfix again. . .

EDIT: I mean, jesus gently caress, I can't even figure out how to pick stuff up because all it shows is the goddamn Xbox A button!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I think something's up with my DS3, I get random button presses - pressing evade sometimes will make me drink an estus and get me murdered, so will attacking. sometimes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

HellCopter posted:

In a complete dick move, the "right" starting area is directly behind where you enter Majula. There is a cliffside pathway near the bonfire.

Really? I guess I'll go back and look. This area didn't seem impossible, just really hard since its not what you would expect from a first area. Fighting big guys takes some getting used to. At least the rear end in a top hat with a mace didn't respawn.

I almost beat them all, only to be kicked off the edge by the last guy with the huge sword :negative:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This game is pretty fun now that I've beaten the keybind menu boss

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

Its way improved over Dark Souls 1. But you should have expected as much :cheeky:

I never played DS1. Coming into this completely fresh, it's really offputtingly bad. The most annoying thing at the moment is that I can't see what my controls are on the PC because I'm using a gamepad. It just brings up the keyboard controls.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Anyways, does attacking chests and destroying them turn anything inside into rubbish? I did this to two chests out of curiosity and I'm hoping I didn't screw myself out of some good poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

FuzzySlippers posted:

For DS1 vets especially: don't play too cautiously. In DS2 enemies are more likely to run down your stamina and stagger you or use a shield break. Turtling isn't always the best option.

Also don't bother rolling if your ADP isn't high enough

just die :getin:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Control Volume posted:

Anyways, does attacking chests and destroying them turn anything inside into rubbish? I did this to two chests out of curiosity and I'm hoping I didn't screw myself out of some good poo poo.

Yes, they do. Only hit a chest once, that's enough. Unless it's a mimic. Then you run out of it's range and then come back to hit it in the dick multiple times.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Internet Kraken posted:

Really? I guess I'll go back and look. This area didn't seem impossible, just really hard since its not what you would expect from a first area. Fighting big guys takes some getting used to. At least the rear end in a top hat with a mace didn't respawn.

I almost beat them all, only to be kicked off the edge by the last guy with the huge sword :negative:

Well it's not really the "first" area or at least it doesn't seem intended to be. I've found the sword guys are easier if you roll inside the swing since it's got a really wide arc, just make sure to roll again immediately or they'll smack you in the head with it. Their recovery animation is slow so you can get a few hits in before the next series of strikes.

Also make sure you find the bonfire down the steps from the platform with the first guy on it. A lot of people seem to miss it.

(spoilered for the people who haven't been there yet and want to be surprised :getin: )

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Control Volume posted:

:stonk:

uhh dont do that man

attack once. no more no less

NEVER R2

honestly if you are curious look up the wiki to see what was in it and if you can live without it

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Batigh posted:

Oh god, what have I done?

Did you burn an effigy rather than use it through your inventory menu?

Nope, I used one to unhollow, although I did burn one before I figured that out

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Control Volume posted:

Yes, destroying a chest will always turn the contents to rubbish. Don't fret too much, most of the good stuff is in metal chests that can't be broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Any other VAC banned people able to ever summon anyone on a shared account? I've been trying for a while and I'm starting to worry that I'm just gonna have to pay the full price again on another copy.