Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Pak's Sman in Action is full of wonder, kindness, adventure and all that good stuff.
Grant's was full of virtue.

I think people just have his introduction in Justice League locked in their minds.

That "So... what can you do?" panel deserves to be locked in a high place among New 52's very worst moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

There was an interview with Zack Snyder talking about the Superman vs Batman film recently where he says how people are too focused on the Christoper Reeves version of the character and he wants to bring things away from that.

That's basically what DC seem to be doing at the moment. Erasing that version of the character from existence.

As someone who hated Superman Returns because of Singer's obsession with Reeves Superman I am actually okay with this.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

spacejung posted:

That "So... what can you do?" panel deserves to be locked in a high place among New 52's very worst moments.

Really? That's one of the few parts I liked. It's juvenile, but there's a certain enjoyment in seeing heroes fight without a bunch of angst and melodrama.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

bobkatt013 posted:

I do not think so. He is there icon and during his 75th anniversary they celebrated it in just his own book. Its Batman's this year and they are going all out. It sort of pisses me off how they do not know what to do with him. It could also be an issue where he is not grim and gritty so they think he is pointless.

Grim and gritty just isn't Superman. I guess DC won't celebrate your 75th year unless you've had a few of your teenage sidekicks die in terrible manners.

Waterhaul posted:

There was an interview with Zack Snyder talking about the Superman vs Batman film recently where he says how people are too focused on the Christoper Reeves version of the character and he wants to bring things away from that.

That's basically what DC seem to be doing at the moment. Erasing that version of the character from existence.

I don't know if the version DC seems to be going for would actually be Superman in the end.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Madkal posted:

As someone who hated Superman Returns because of Singer's obsession with Reeves Superman I am actually okay with this.

I'm all for Superman stories that move away from being boring retreads of earlier Superman stories, but I'd also like a new Superman movie that was good, unlike Man of Steel.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

Really? That's one of the few parts I liked. It's juvenile, but there's a certain enjoyment in seeing heroes fight without a bunch of angst and melodrama.
It -- and Superman -- being juvenile was exactly what I liked about it!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Madkal posted:

Nah I'm fed up of people constantly being afraid to move past the Donner version of Superman but I think DC are doing a bit of a baby out with the bathwater situation. They want a modern updated Superman but are throwing out a lot of things like his relationship with Lois and being a general kinder, wiser, not punching everything Superman to do so.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Die Laughing posted:

I guess I'm overruled but it struck me as especially silly, particularly when I went back a second time. I don't mind Supergoku at all but to me it's so corny that Superman would even ask that question. Especially to what we would discover to be a fully realized Batman.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

spacejung posted:

Had that book been at all honest we would have then seen Superman using his X-ray vision, saying "Boomerangs, explosives, grappling gun, cowl computer, glider, full-spectrum comms unit, pocket forensics lab... holy poo poo, what can't you do?"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Waterhaul posted:

Nah I'm fed up of people constantly being afraid to move past the Donner version of Superman but I think DC are doing a bit of a baby out with the bathwater situation. They want a modern updated Superman but are throwing out a lot of things like his relationship with Lois and being a general kinder, wiser, not punching everything Superman to do so.

Barring his relationship with Lois, Superman IS kinder, is learning and isn't a punch first guy on the current N52.

Edit: Man, the situation with Lobo is getting absurd. Classic Lobo's fighting the Outlaws on Red Hood while NuLobo's tangling with Hawkman on JLU.

:psyduck:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 24, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

throwing out ...being a general kinder, wiser, not punching everything Superman to do so.

Yeah. What are we reading here?

I'm repeating myself, but Pre-Johns and who knows whatever Lobdel is doing on his last legs, Pak and Soule are the Super guys, and this description is the reverse of what they're aiming for.

e: They swapped Lois for Lana in Superman 3. Superdoom is just like the movie's evil drunk Superman. His good personality is going to split off without explanation and they'll fight in a junkyard. Not Reeve? Pff.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Edit: Man, the situation with Lobo is getting absurd. Classic Lobo's fighting the Outlaws on Red Hood while NuLobo's tangling with Hawkman on JLU.

:psyduck:

What's your ginormous problem with two Lobos? Isn't it good that the new hasn't bumped off the old? Again. Dual Lobos book. That could be rad.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 25, 2014

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Teenage Fansub posted:

What's your ginormous problem with two Lobos? Isn't it good that the new hasn't bumped off the old? Again. Dual Lobos book. That'd be rad.

"Dos Lobos"

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I'm seeing double! Four Lobos!

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
"Lobos"- Written by James Cameron

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm seeing double! Four Lobos!

"WE HAVE NO IDEA WHICH LOBO WILL BE USED IN OUR FEATURE FILMS! gently caress IT!" -DC Execs

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe they can call themselves Los Lobos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lmlXZ_-320

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Hey guys! Remember Vibe? Remember how he was going to be the most important character in the New 52/Darkseid's daughter/other bullshit?

Into the pile with the millions of other subplots that have been abandoned in the short time frame of the New 52.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

What's your ginormous problem with two Lobos? Isn't it good that the new hasn't bumped off the old? Again. Dual Lobos book. That could be rad.

I just want to know what Lobo I'll be reading in the future :shrug:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

One of two.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

E the Shaggy posted:

Hey guys! Remember Vibe? Remember how he was going to be the most important character in the New 52/Darkseid's daughter/other bullshit?

Into the pile with the millions of other subplots that have been abandoned in the short time frame of the New 52.

I hear he's legit playing a major role in Future's End. There was an issue of his series where I thought something important was actually going to happen, loving Pariah showed up.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Ambush Bug Nothing Special

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Darwyn Cooke is drawing All-Star Western #34.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/26/from-c2de2-darwyn-cooke-to-draw-all-of-all-star-western-34/
Bleedingcool supposes it's the occasion of a final issue. Sure. If it's gonna go, go like that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Madkal posted:

Singer played Supes as an out of touch, creepy, distant alien. That characterization was way more troublesome than the sloppy HJ to the Donner films.

The Action Man posted:

I'm all for Superman stories that move away from being boring retreads of earlier Superman stories, but I'd also like a new Superman movie that was good, unlike Man of Steel.
I liked how they tried to make early N52 Superman a populist kind of hero. I think they should have stuck with that for a while. *shrug*

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Both will GeneMERGE in an effort to (hero). The resulting lifeform will be taken in by the Teen Titans OUTSIDERS, but a faulty NeuralMapping procedure will leave him obsessed with the Jersey Shore.

Witness the birth of LOBrO.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Teenage Fansub posted:

Darwyn Cooke is drawing All-Star Western #34.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/26/from-c2de2-darwyn-cooke-to-draw-all-of-all-star-western-34/
Bleedingcool supposes it's the occasion of a final issue. Sure. If it's gonna go, go like that.

Maybe? But Palmiotti and Cooke are total besties, so that could be it as well.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Singer played Supes as an out of touch, creepy, distant alien. That characterization was way more troublesome than the sloppy HJ to the Donner films.

After everything that's been revealed about Singer's....habits. His super creepy Superman takes on whole new meanings.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

More Mike Allred variants revealed :swoon:
http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/04/29/dc-comics-honors-batman-66-in-may-with-mike-allred-variant-covers

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 30, 2014

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Mike Allred month is the best decision DC has made this decade

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The mustache on that Harley Quinn cover is great.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Why does he draw everyone with a cleft pallete?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I never realized how much I wanted Allred drawing Aquaman until seeing all those sea monsters on the Aquaman cover.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Haha. Just noticed that lil batsub hanging back in the Aquaman one.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
I really hope this is something Didio fought against and lost on.

It would only be better if every Allred cover had Batman doing the Batusi in the background as a proper gently caress you to Didio.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I just want a hardcover of all these variants.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have never requested varient covers from my comic shop before. Good job DC. You just made me request varients.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I just want a hardcover of all these variants.

I wanna see a ten page Absolute Edition.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I never realized how much I wanted Allred drawing Aquaman until seeing all those sea monsters on the Aquaman cover.

We need an Allred Aquaman sea adventure mini right the hell now.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Are Batman and Robin fighting a weird version of Hulk with his head on his body?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

Are Batman and Robin fighting a weird version of Hulk with his head on his body?

It's gotta be based on this guy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gossamer_%28Looney_Tunes%29

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Has DC ever had Allred as the primary artist on a book? I know he did a Solo issue and Madman/Superman, but is there anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

Has DC ever had Allred as the primary artist on a book? I know he did a Solo issue and Madman/Superman, but is there anything else?
Just iZombie, which was a Vertigo title.

• Locked thread