Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wait how wasn't that the walker-tainted combat knife Michonne found?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Steve2911 posted:

So the letter page is still saying that 'everything' will change with issue 127. The only thing I can see happening over the course of one (double length) issue is Negan killing Rick from the inside almost immediately.

"Everything" changing could refer to a storyline about a whole new group of survivors.

But probably not.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Most anti-climatic ending ever.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Honestly , despite it's flaws I kind of feel the book is actually getting better. As for everything changing, I think it means the focus of the book is going to be Rick becoming a "Governor" type person but benevolent.

That would be interesting.

Risky
May 18, 2003

My first clue that Negan wasn't going to die was the fact that there weren't like a hundred different variant covers of this issue for a shameless cash grab.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
My favorite part was when Rick immediately assumed Carl was missing because he was off being a tween psychopath.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

bobkatt013 posted:

Lets just say that Age of Ultron and Battle of the Atom had more of a point.
The loving Clone Saga had more of a point.

"Killing is wrong!" *stabs a dude in the throat with a knife*

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Soulcleaver posted:

The loving Clone Saga had more of a point.

I can forgive the clone saga since it later gave us tr scarlet spider series. This storyline was pointless an long and I really see nothing good coming from it.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Soulcleaver posted:

It's almost as bad as Rick realizing that Dwight was a trust-worthy ally because, in the end, he *only* shot me from behind through the abdomen with a not-poisoned crossbow bolt.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Walking Dead Shippuden! The Walking Dead Z!

Huh, I quite liked that. I think I'll give it a few issues and see where it's all going. If they go straight back to Negan being the main antagonist though I'll be pissed. The ending definitely hinted that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

The Walking Dead Shippuden! The Walking Dead Z!

Huh, I quite liked that. I think I'll give it a few issues and see where it's all going. If they go straight back to Negan being the main antagonist though I'll be pissed. The ending definitely hinted that.

Oh yeah he will be escaping and destroying poo poo. I half expect That there will be a mass slaughter and we start to follow the new group.
Also can someone post a panel of how Carl looks, its pretty hilarious?

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

I like the new King of Dragon Zombie Pass vibe, though I have no idea where the story goes from here.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Holy poo poo, I cannot believe they time jumped. Any clue to how long it has been since 126? Also, where the gently caress is Michonne?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Risky posted:

Holy poo poo, I cannot believe they time jumped. Any clue to how long it has been since 126? Also, where the gently caress is Michonne?

2 years.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Risky posted:

I assume the Kingdom with Ezekiel

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Love the Carl/Negan dynamic.

Although, does this mean Rick has Negan chained up in his own basement?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh yeah he will be escaping and destroying poo poo. I half expect That there will be a mass slaughter and we start to follow the new group.
Also can someone post a panel of how Carl looks, its pretty hilarious?

Here ya go. This is also a good example of why I dislike Adlard's art. Carl looks like a middle-aged woman.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So Carl becomes a hipster? That's...dissapointing. Anyway, I actually liked this issue, this seems like the direction I wanted before 100 and all those awful issues since Negan became the main bad guy/plot.

I kind of hope they do something new rather than "new human villain Governor 3.0!"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
"Magna"?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I decided to read this comic... four or five months ago. I caught up right in the middle of All Out War. Which was a terrible place to catch up. A bunch of dumb ground was being retread and it was pretty boring.

But this... this is honestly why I'm interested in Walking Dead. Rebuilding. I started with the TV show, but I thought it was merely "okay" right up until the prison arc. Specifically the parts of the prison arc where they were not being menaced by a mustache twirling villain, but actually building something there.

I'm really glad the comic has finally gotten to the point where rebuilding is what the story is about. No take backs, either. The author can't wipe out what they've built here- we just saw the largest horde of zombies ever in this story... and it had been utterly neutered- robbed of all menace by our groups new found organization.

Zombies are no longer the antagonists, they haven't been for a long time. And after All Out War, psycho dictators are not the antagonist. At least, I really hope there won't be some giant army from a similarly sized group of communities, lead by a violent psycho, riding over the hill to make war in the next arc.

No, they've written themselves into a corner. They can't keep going with voyeuristic destruction and brutality, they're in a situation where they have to write a story about actually building something.

Damned if I know how they're going to do, but I appreciate the attempt.

My most pessimistic guess would be that Rick screws up somehow, leading to a demand for democracy, leading to a stupid election against "reformed" Negan. But maybe we'll get something better than that.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Gotta say, this was the best issue in a while. Very happy we didn't get a Governor 3.0 with the new group (yet). I also expected a different outcome with Carl and Negan's conversation. Maybe Carl will kill or try to kill Negan and Rick will have to deal with defending his son and the hypocrisy that arises. Edit #2: Give us a 5 issue arc where they try to figure out their legal system. Straight up courtroom drama.

Edit: I have been thinking about dropping this book for months now. Guess I'll stick it out for a bit more.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 15, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I really like how they showed Rick's burdens of leadership, ie: Meetings and thoughtful decisions. It's not really a job Negan would ever have been up to.

Can't wait to see how Dwight made out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

This issue was not that bad, but its pretty obvious where its going The new recruits are going to find Negan and thinking that he is innocent will let him free. He will then destroy the society that Rick built up.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Yeah but that will take like 30 issues to happen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Yeah but that will take like 30 issues to happen.

Ha try 2! It also looks like Rick has gone crazier than before. I think we are getting to the end of Rick's story.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

Ha try 2! It also looks like Rick has gone crazier than before. I think we are getting to the end of Rick's story.

I can pretty much predict how this is going to go. Those new people are on the fence on whether or not Rick is actually crazy, but with Negan telling everyone Rick is crazy and then Rick having his random outbursts like this new issue, they'll be swayed to trust Negan. I'm guessing they release Negan and he kills Rick.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
Of course asking anyone else will be completely out of the question.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

G-Whizard posted:

I can pretty much predict how this is going to go. Those new people are on the fence on whether or not Rick is actually crazy, but with Negan telling everyone Rick is crazy and then Rick having his random outbursts like this new issue, they'll be swayed to trust Negan. I'm guessing they release Negan and he kills Rick.

Seriously, if this is the way it goes down, I'm done with the book. I don't mind if Rick dies, but if they actually do this, it's just bad writing. I hope the next issue has the female lead saying 'Yeah, no chance. We're not idiots' and not doing what everyone's been saying.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Has the "if I kill you I'll be just as bad as you" cliche ever worked out for anyone in anything, ever? Why didn't Rick just do the sensible thing and hang the bastard before the timeskip?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Because Rick desperately and blindly clings to the old world and it's rules.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

Because Rick desperately and blindly clings to the old world and it's rules.

Except you know all the times he doesn't and kills a bunch of people. Sparing Negan makes absolutely no sense.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I never said characters were consistent.

"We have to keep society going, except when I need to murder some dudes."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Darth Ronson posted:

I hope the next issue has the female lead saying 'Yeah, no chance. We're not idiots' and not doing what everyone's been saying.

Yeah TWD has a history of last-page shock cliffhangers that go nowhere. This one, IDK.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I actually think I can convince myself that Rick has a weird psychological hang-up about killing Negan because Negan basically could have killed his son, and him, several times but spared them. I also think locking Negan up has a perverse revenge aspect to it. He can call Negan a pathetic sack of poo poo on a daily basis. But I still can't believe that everyone else in the story could be completely OK with keeping a lifer.

Also, the new group could have easily asked anyone else about Negan. I can't see how they could have a burning curiosity about the prison to the point they are willing to break into it, but not even casually ask anybody else about it.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

crowoutofcontext posted:

I actually think I can convince myself that Rick has a weird psychological hang-up about killing Negan because Negan basically could have killed his son, and him, several times but spared them. I also think locking Negan up has a perverse revenge aspect to it. He can call Negan a pathetic sack of poo poo on a daily basis. But I still can't believe that everyone else in the story could be completely OK with keeping a lifer.

Also, the new group could have easily asked anyone else about Negan. I can't see how they could have a burning curiosity about the prison to the point they are willing to break into it, but not even casually ask anybody else about it.

Considering they got told they could meet him when Rick got back really pissed me off. They are like Adam and Eve getting stuck into the apples because it was the one thing they were told not to do.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The only thing that makes sense is that they didn't ask around because they planned to break in and didn't want to raise suspicion. Which is dumb because a) everybody in town knows Negan is dangerous and b) nobody would break in except these morons.

It is contrived writing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Darth Ronson posted:

Seriously, if this is the way it goes down, I'm done with the book. I don't mind if Rick dies, but if they actually do this, it's just bad writing. I hope the next issue has the female lead saying 'Yeah, no chance. We're not idiots' and not doing what everyone's been saying.

Looks like we have a winner!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

bobkatt013 posted:

Looks like we have a winner!

Nice to see the expectations defied.

Not sure how I feel about The Talking Dead though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's going to be embedded weirdos, using guts tricks or something.

I'm glad the last TWD panel fake-out held true. It's seriously the one permanent constant in comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Nice to see the expectations defied.

Not sure how I feel about The Talking Dead though.

It's definitely the most out there thing that's happened. I assumed the character is crazy but going back and reading the page where they hear it again has me thinking he actually heard it. Very interested to see where they go with it.

• Locked thread