Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

slev posted:

Is there any point to the small white soapstone once I have the regular one?

Yes, it's a quicker way to get humanity back, estus/magic charges refilled, and durability refilled. Also gives you a lotto token.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dexters Secret posted:

AutoHotkey script for those using KB+M controls, first make sure left click and right click are unbound from attacks. Honestly I unbound everything in my mouse keybind section.

Then you use this:

#IfWinActive, ahk_class DarkSouls2
~*LButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

~*RButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{g}
return

The ~ means that the left click still goes through. It will now also send a keypress, in this example I used h and g. The SetKeyDelay is needed for key press duration.

Okay this is pretty chill, but uh. How do I get this to actually run with dark souls? I have the ahk script running... I think, but it doesn't seem to be working.

My script looks like the following:

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{g}
return

~*XButton1::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{u}
return

~*XButton2::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{y}
return

I have that in a .ahk file in my dark souls two game directory but nothing seems to be happening when that happens...?

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 25, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Guest posted:

How?

Edit:

Yeah, I think this is my problem.

Like I said, you if you're desperate you can hit people with the chime and that will do some decent lightning damage. Or just pick up whatever weapon you can handle until you can repair the mace.

Like the others said, there's a merchant lady near a bonfire in Forest of Fallen Giant who sells the blacksmith's key. She can be easy to miss, since at a glance she kind of looks like a pile of junk. But you're not going to make it there with a busted mace I don't think.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
Is the fall damage weirdly arbitrary or is it just me... large fall does like 20% health... then fall that is 1/3 of that is a kill.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

cmykjester posted:

Does anyone know where Dark Souls II keeps it's savegames? I want to back them up on Dropbox. Thanks for the Help!

Check your roaming appdata.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

oneof3steves posted:

Is the fall damage weirdly arbitrary or is it just me... large fall does like 20% health... then fall that is 1/3 of that is a kill.

Yeah, I've had this happen a few times too.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

slev posted:

You can be summoned to people who have already beaten the boss with the small one.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

the increased chat messages are perfect

Be careful. Sometimes messages will be helpful and sometimes they're trolling the poo poo out of you to get you killed.

Edit: Also rating them will automatically heal the message writer if they're playing, if you want to help them out.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 25, 2014

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Oh neat... WHen you have two of the same spells in separate attunement slots it just stacks - so you don't even have to switch out.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

Stringbean posted:

Oh neat... WHen you have two of the same spells in separate attunement slots it just stacks - so you don't even have to switch out.

This was true in DS1

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

oneof3steves posted:

Fall damage is also heavily affected by how, well, heavy you are. You'll take more damage with heavier armor and weapons. Also, it's a percentage of your total availabe life, not current. So if you fall down the well, you need to heal up before falling again.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dexters Secret posted:

AutoHotkey script for those using KB+M controls, first make sure left click and right click are unbound from attacks. Honestly I unbound everything in my mouse keybind section.

Then you use this:

SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{g}
return

The ~ means that the left click still goes through. It will now also send a keypress, in this example I used h and g. The SetKeyDelay is needed for key press duration.

So to those out there that think this is a little too complicated but have a Logitech mouse supported by this doodad here: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/gaming-software?osid=14&bit=64

Theoretically making a Dark Souls 2 profile, pointing it at the Dark Souls 2 .exe, assigning a couple of out of the way letter keys to the left and right mouse button, and using those for attacks should work absolutely perfectly. You need to assign at least one button to left and right click, but you can put those on the thumb buttons.

Of course that would mean you can't use the mouse pointer to navigate menus but that's pretty busted up anyway.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 25, 2014

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So, given that I played through the first time on PS3 as a beefy greatsword wielding hulk of a man, any thoughts from you guys as to what build I should do next?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Brackhar posted:

So, given that I played through the first time on PS3 as a beefy greatsword wielding hulk of a man, any thoughts from you guys as to what build I should do next?

Someone who adores Hanzo Steel.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I like shields is Strength the way to go or do I still need some Dex for later on?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
After a month of playing on 360 it's incredible to see how nice this game looks on PC. Just loving it.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Spudd posted:

I like shields is Strength the way to go or do I still need some Dex for later on?

Dex scaling is bad, but it's required for some heavier weapons - sprinkle some on, have maybe 20 depending on the weapons you want.

Is the Morning Star normally unable to be enchanted? I can't put Aromatic Ooze on it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

neetengie posted:

Yes, it's a quicker way to get humanity back, estus/magic charges refilled, and durability refilled. Also gives you a lotto token.
Lotto token?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dexters Secret posted:

Then you use this:

SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{g}
return

I will add that you should probably throw in:
~*MButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{o}
return
so that you can lock on with your shield up.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Elysiume posted:

Lotto token?

Smooth and SIlky stone. Since the crows are running a lottery now.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Kenlon posted:

Christ on a crutch, how the hell did they gently caress up the mouse+keyboard controls so bad? I didn't think we'd need DSfix again. . .

EDIT: I mean, jesus gently caress, I can't even figure out how to pick stuff up because all it shows is the goddamn Xbox A button!

Took me a minute to get it figured out as well, but once I did things went pretty smoothly. Only things I changed were interact/select (these are different keybinds for some reason, but you can set both to the same button) to R and cancel to Q.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I played up to and not past the Twin Gargoyles in the first game, so I don't have a lot of fun DaS-related memories, but I've already made such good ones in this game and I've barely started yet! Monster AI is incredibly silly, and hiding on a ladder to try and plan my attack on multiple enemies just leads to them seeing me and falling off the cliff to hang around below me. That works too, I guess.

I passed on attacking the white Solaire-looking fellow. I really wanted a bonfire before all my weapons broke, which I made it to.. after all my weapons broke.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

slev posted:

I also read that shades bypass the boss rule, so you can be help for someone trying to get items or just explorin'.
(NOTE: This could be wrong)

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Picked up DaS 2 and went for Depraved for maximum hilarity. Trip report:

loving gently caress this flaming gently caress of a loving lovely rear end loving game stop killing me gently caress

So yeah, rage levels intensified. It just wouldn't be a Souls game without slamming my fist on the desk at some point in time. Seriously, why does there have to be three assholes with greatswords around every corner?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

neetengie posted:

Dex scaling is bad, but it's required for some heavier weapons - sprinkle some on, have maybe 20 depending on the weapons you want.

Is the Morning Star normally unable to be enchanted? I can't put Aromatic Ooze on it.

Looking around, it seems it might be because the morning star already has a decent bleed effect. It can be infused later though.

nftyw posted:

loving gently caress this flaming gently caress of a loving lovely rear end loving game stop killing me gently caress

So yeah, rage levels intensified. It just wouldn't be a Souls game without slamming my fist on the desk at some point in time. Seriously, why does there have to be three assholes with greatswords around every corner?

Which route did you go? Most of the starting guys don't use greatswords (OK there's some halberds). :raise:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

I love that when you're trying to quit you have to go back to the first screen, hit start game, wait for it to connect to the online server, and then and only then can you actually quit the game. That's the most consoley thing ever.

Alt+f4

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Man this game is fun. And I'm stupidly bad at it. 4 hours in I've beaten the "first" boss Last Giant but not gotten much further than that. Oh well. I'm definitely getting better quickly. Impatience kills me a lot though

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

Looking around, it seems it might be because the morning star already has a decent bleed effect. It can be infused later though.

Which route did you go? Most of the starting guys don't use greatswords (OK there's some halberds). :raise:

That makes sense, thanks for explaining. Also the Hollow Soldiers do have Greatswords I think, it's the Bastard Sword.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jaggies? What jaggies?

:smaug:

7680*4320. No, it's not actually playable.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Not that I'm complaining but I feel like this game so far is a lot more cheap in the ways that it tries to kill you than DS1. Like being ambushed by enemies that suddenly materialize once you engage another.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Can someone spoiler where the gently caress you're supposed to go right out of the gate? I don't think massive stone assholes capable of oneshotting me is the proper direction

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

neetengie posted:

That makes sense, thanks for explaining. Also the Hollow Soldiers do have Greatswords I think, it's the Bastard Sword.

Oh, when I think Dark Souls greatsword I think of the huge fuckoff swords that are bigger than the guy carrying it. Or the alternate harder route someone already took earlier.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

MrTheDevious posted:

Can someone spoiler where the gently caress you're supposed to go right out of the gate? I don't think massive stone assholes capable of oneshotting me is the proper direction

after exiting the corridor where you can see the first bonfire in Majula, make a right u-turn around the stone wall

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me

nftyw posted:

Haha, I had the same idea. "I've beaten dark souls a couple of times even at low level, Ill just go depraved what can this game do to me?".
Apparently the answer is kill me repeatedly and make me rage at archers :allears:

I actually beat a couple of bosses already and everything's been pretty challenging/interesting so far.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SuicideSnowman posted:

Not that I'm complaining but I feel like this game so far is a lot more cheap in the ways that it tries to kill you than DS1. Like being ambushed by enemies that suddenly materialize once you engage another.

Nothing "suddenly materializes" well not early on at least.... If you don't notice an enemy it's your fault.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

MrTheDevious posted:

Stand on the coast by the bonfire in Majula, facing the ocean. Turn right. This is it.

SuicideSnowman posted:

Make sure to look everywhere. Some enemies will play dead until you come near or follow you from somewhere else.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Genocyber posted:

Nothing "suddenly materializes" well not early on at least.... If you don't notice an enemy it's your fault.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Enemies quit respawning after you kill them a bunch of times?

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 25, 2014

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I love how they have random bodies just lying there and you know what that poo poo means so bam, two hand a club on their crotch and they die miserably. GG noob Get rekt shithead etc. There should be a bonfire that's just surrounded with those jerks so you can pre-empetively gently caress their poo poo up one by one, I'd never leave that area again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

ITSA ME