Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
The guard break and leaping attacks seem to be impossible on KB+M - I know how to do them on a controller, but is there a trick I'm missing with the keyboard controls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Goddamn it, FROM, would it have been so hard to let us use more than three buttons on the mouse?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I died at the same I killed the hostile resting knight in the courtyard. What item did I miss getting? :ohdear:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

It's no PizzaLawyer420, but I found a great message already:

I saw that one and I chuckled.

I also saw a "Weakness: huge but hole" and I really laughed since I'm too easily entertained.

Kenlon posted:

Goddamn it, FROM, would it have been so hard to let us use more than three buttons on the mouse?

No joke, the mouse controls worked better with DSMfix than in this game where they're actually natively supported and this is the entire reason. Thumb buttons should be parry and heavy attack. That's how it should be.

edit:

Sanctum posted:

I died at the same I killed the hostile resting knight in the courtyard. What item did I miss getting? :ohdear:

Yeah, you kinda hosed up It's a longsword that only has 11/10 str/dex requirements and has 75 physical damage but 50 lightning damage, in addition to C scaling in str, dex and lightning. It's a very nice piece and a huge improvement over pretty much anything avaible at that point. I mentioned earlier that the difficulty drops very sharply, well that happens when you get that sword.

DoctorStrangelove fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 25, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Sanctum posted:

A really good sword. You can respawn him eventually if you want, but his drops will become more random.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the only acceptable way to play this game is to name yourself joffrey and invade people's worlds with the crossbow equipped

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I've been soapstoning in the beginning half of the Tower of Fire and I'm having a ball. Even helped a guy to a bonfire I myself missed!

Is this how jolly it was always meant to be? :3:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Those sticking with keyboard are seriously gimping themselves. It's so much better with a controller. Spend the cash and get the most enjoyment out of this game.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Got my key, currently downloading. :getin:

Let's all take a moment and reminisce about the glory of DaS1 with this song.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Easy to think of a few ways the PC controls could be improved (and you don't need 500 mouse buttons for it), but playing with a controller just feels so natural. The games were designed around PS3/360 pad control layouts and it's incredibly intuitive. IMO it just doesn't translate well to PC.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I have zero impulse control so bought this anyway. :smithicide:

What's the risk of getting invincible dick head wraiths this time around? I have no idea how much better Steamworks is for that side of things.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there still a limit on how much junk I can lug around or is it just how much I can wear now?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

dis astranagant posted:

Is there still a limit on how much junk I can lug around or is it just how much I can wear now?

99 pieces of junk. 999 arrows of junk. unlimited clothes and weapons.

e: Oh yeah there's no item weight. That was only in Demon's Souls and it is never coming back.

Equip weight is still around.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So is the port good or a horrible buggy mess?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
So the internet is freaking out about some sort of screamer around the beginning of the game - Any substance to that rumor?

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 25, 2014

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Vintersorg posted:

Those sticking with keyboard are seriously gimping themselves. It's so much better with a controller. Spend the cash and get the most enjoyment out of this game.

Motioninjoy is broken, gimme a break and tell me how to do a darn leaping attack

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

The kb/m controls are a trainwreck but if works great if you have a gamepad and x360ce.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Bob NewSCART posted:

It's great from a technical standpoint but they botched the mouse/keyboard control. Like I guess out of the box it's better than in DS1 but with that game you could get the DSMfix and that would make the mouse/keyboard control just as good as a controller.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Bob NewSCART posted:

It's a drat good port except for the M+KB controls.

Space Hamlet posted:

Motioninjoy is broken, gimme a break and tell me how to do a darn leaping attack

Nerd, use Xinput for the DS3/DS4, it's better than MotionJoy - I don't have the link on hand but someone will link it eventually - it was in a PSCX2 thread on their own forum.

Here it is.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I have a USB wired xbox360 controller(one of the clear ones and it's kinda lovely if that makes a difference), would that work?

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I just got exploded after killing the three sentinels in lost bastille :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why are there so many loving archers. I'm so loving sick of getting shot trying to do anything. Especially with this new idiotic estus system. No idea why they replaced the estus flasks from Dark Souls when they worked so well.

VVV Yes, one Estus ain't the same as 5. It just means I have to keep going back to the bonfire anytime I get hurt because I know I'm not gonna make it to next one since I'm low on those stupid health crystals.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 25, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You did talk to the Emerald Herald right, Kraken.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

So the internet is freaking out about some sort of screaming around the beginning of the game - Any substance to that rumor?

what :stare:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Internet Kraken posted:

Why are there so many loving archers. I'm so loving sick of getting shot trying to do anything. Especially with this new idiotic estus system. No idea why they replaced the estus flasks from Dark Souls when they worked so well.

Estus flasks are still in.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Screamer. Some sort of cheap scare screamer thing.

Too loving early for me to be typing :regd09:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I went up to the top of the old ladies's houses and checked the chest for a mimic. Accidentally swung twice and all I got was a piece of rubbish. Did I miss anything important? :saddowns:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

FrickenMoron posted:

Estus flasks are still in.

I'd imagine a fair amount of people are going to miss them unless the game later clubs you over the head to get you to talk to that guy. I drat near missed them too

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

It's mostly about how much you can wear. Which will be a percentage in the lower right corner of your equip menu. But you can tell by your movement.

I've never found an inventory limit as a compulsive looter, but everyone gets an item box at bonfires right out of the gate too. And keep all that junk equipment, it'll be worth something later.

MrTheDevious posted:

I'd imagine a fair amount of people are going to miss them unless the game later clubs you over the head to get you to talk to that guy. I drat near missed them too

Check the well in Majula (no, not the big pit). :ssh: Really check everywhere.

YOSPOS King
Apr 14, 2014

by XyloJW
You can reliably pull off one of those shield bash and leaping attack things with keyboard and mouse.

Forward+right click, right click for one

Forward+right click, forward+right click for the other

Hope this helps, ciao.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
I just beat the first boss with a loving dagger. Something tells me I should have gotten a better weapon before that fight, but I just didn't have the level to wield anything better (started as an explorer).

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.
Haha holy gently caress, Majula is a blood bath. Those three little pigs are evil.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Dr. Carwash posted:

I just beat the first boss with a loving dagger. Something tells me I should have gotten a better weapon before that fight, but I just didn't have the level to wield anything better (started as an explorer).

What kept you from leveling up? Also two handing calculates str x2 for being able to use weapons.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Artificer posted:

I went up to the top of the old ladies's houses and checked the chest for a mimic. Accidentally swung twice and all I got was a piece of rubbish. Did I miss anything important? :saddowns:

Just a human effigy

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Dr. Carwash posted:

Buy a Club, and you should be fine. Upgrade it a lot - it is your friend. There are many like it, but that one is yours.

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've not gotten very far yet, but this game feels incredibly fluid compared to Dark Souls, particularly in regards to chaining up attacks. On the other hand, the "platforming" feels far worse and I keep letting go of ladders. Don't remember dying by fall much in the original - here, gravity is my personal executioner.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

havenwaters posted:

Just a human effigy

Are those easy to get then, or unimportant?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Pros: solid code, looks loving beautiful on PCs and runs beautifully. You can use the mouse in the menus and inventories which is great.

Cons: Controls have to be rebound/edited (I got tired of pressing shift+Lclick for "interact" real damned fast). FROM has never heard of a mouse with more than 3 buttons. Oh, and all in-game pop-ups for "use this button for this" still display XBox controls that you have to decipher.

Oh, and one more problem (though it's more a DSII thing than port thing): no more comedy weightless ragdolls. :(

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

What kept you from leveling up? Also two handing calculates str x2 for being able to use weapons.

Yeah, make sure to talk to the Emerald Herald in Majula and don't even think about killing her. She's your sole source of leveling-up and estus upgrades.

Artificer posted:

You can buy them early on and find them fairly regularly. Effigies are one way to regain your humanity. Which in DS2 mostly just means you can summon people and have your full health available.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Artificer posted:

You can get the same effect from using a Small White Soapstone, and are super important for a Covenant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I figured i'd try something different from DS1 and start as a sorcerer. I'm too conservative with my spells and I don't know how to invest my stats. :shepface: