Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Filthy Haiku posted:

I figured i'd try something different from DS1 and start as a sorcerer. I'm too conservative with my spells and I don't know how to invest my stats. :shepface:

Minimum for whatever weapon you want. Int as high as you can, End/Vit(Or whatever the stat that gives health is)/ADP to the soft cap. That's generally how it worked in DaS1 so I assume the same is true for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This lovely health system is ruining this game for me.

I loved the estus system in Dark Souls. Now it loving sucks because you have one, and instead have to rely on these lovely health crystals instead. And you have a limited amount of them, unless you're willing to waste your time and grind zombies for an hour in which case you could get 99. So what the gently caress is the point? All its making me do is use my health in stupid ways because I don't want to have to grind more of it.

Like, I want to love this game, but this health system is really bad.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Where should I go after the Mansion key?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Internet Kraken posted:

I loved the estus system in Dark Souls. Now it loving sucks because you have one, and instead have to rely on these lovely health crystals instead. And you have a limited amount of them, unless you're willing to waste your time and grind zombies for an hour in which case you could get 99. So what the gently caress is the point? All its making me do is use my health in stupid ways because I don't want to have to grind more of it.

Quit getting mad at vidyagaems
Yeah the system is backwards and retarded, but they don't limit you to one. Explore more.
Try looking at the well in Majula.
vvvv Max is 12

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

You can get more than one just from majula. Look and search EVERYTHING. The max is seven, I think.

edit: ^^^^^^^. The max is 12, you're right

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 25, 2014

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Minimum for whatever weapon you want. Int as high as you can, End/Vit(Or whatever the stat that gives health is)/ADP to the soft cap. That's generally how it worked in DaS1 so I assume the same is true for this game.

Well I figured that would be the case; but the problem is that I don't know what weapon I'm going to shoot for. As for now I'm going to get STR/DEX to 10 each; since I imagine most worthwhile weapons use some of both.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

FrickenMoron posted:

What kept you from leveling up? Also two handing calculates str x2 for being able to use weapons.

I leveled up, but not enough to use anything I had because the explorer starts with pretty low str/dex. I'm dual wielding 2 falchions now though so I'm 10000000000x stronger. :feelsgood:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Dr. Carwash posted:

I leveled up, but not enough to use anything I had because the explorer starts with pretty low str/dex. I'm dual wielding 2 falchions now though so I'm 10000000000x stronger. :feelsgood:

Just buy a club and stick with it. It's amazing.

sether01 posted:

You can get more than one just from majula. Look and search EVERYTHING. The max is seven, I think.
Reposting just in case: max is 12.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone get the number on that bus some crow just dropped on me? :stonk:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

dis astranagant posted:

Anyone get the number on that bus some crow just dropped on me? :stonk:
787-7837

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Filthy Haiku posted:

I figured i'd try something different from DS1 and start as a sorcerer. I'm too conservative with my spells and I don't know how to invest my stats. :shepface:

I played a sorceror, what do you want to level? Intelligence and Attunement are your two biggies. I'd also recommend putting some into Faith eventually so you can use hexes and stuff like lightning miracles later.

In general, stuff like Adaptibility, Endurance and Vigor is helpful for everyone. And then if you have a shield or weapon you can level up the necessary stats as needed.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Can you family share DS2 with another Steam account if your main has been VAC banned and still play multiplayer with it? A friend of mine is freaking out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Woooo two, good thing they arbitrarily hid one in a loving well.

Still annoying as poo poo why did they ruin a perfectly good healing system. Where can I get more shards so I can actually start enjoying this game and ignore the lovely health crystals compeltely.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Where should I go after the Mansion key?

To find it or where to go once you have it?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Internet Kraken posted:

Still annoying as poo poo why did they ruin a perfectly good healing system. Where can I get more shards so I can actually start enjoying this game and ignore the lovely health crystals compeltely.

Well one, you won't be ignoring the lovely health crystals. They're actually very useful.

Two, if you're observant you can get up to 4 estus flasks before you fight the first boss.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah there's one more in Majula and one behind a locked door that you can just break down by attacking. Do you just want a guide to find them? They're all over the internet.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

To find it or where to go once you have it?

I've got it but I don't know where it goes.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Why are there so many loving archers. I'm so loving sick of getting shot trying to do anything. Especially with this new idiotic estus system. No idea why they replaced the estus flasks from Dark Souls when they worked so well.

VVV Yes, one Estus ain't the same as 5. It just means I have to keep going back to the bonfire anytime I get hurt because I know I'm not gonna make it to next one since I'm low on those stupid health crystals.

I think the general healing nerf is great because it forces you to be careful when you're on the field, and you're forced to play smart. Dark Souls and ESPECIALLY Demon Souls were very forgiving when it came to the amount of healing you could do, so you sort of learn to play like poo poo because it takes half a second to stuff moongrass into your mouth and heal to max.

It's still fairly easy to pop lifegems during a fight though, and you get access to infinite gems as early as the first post-tutorial area.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

I've got it but I don't know where it goes.

The big house behind the pit in Majula (the one with the pig things next to it, not the cat shop). I think it's the only house with a locked door other than the blacksmith.

Be really careful in there. :unsmigghh: But it's got a good reward.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Artificer posted:

Can you family share DS2 with another Steam account if your main has been VAC banned and still play multiplayer with it? A friend of mine is freaking out.

It's an oversight of some form that Namco Bandai are looking into. Dark Souls 2 itself has no VAC protection, because it doesn't load VAC modules necessary for it. There does not appear to be any cheat protection. What seems to be going on is that when you log in, the DKS2 server checks to see if you've been VAC banned, and refuses to log you in if it sees one. Keep in mind that this can change at any time with a patch, so this could be an omen of future VAC being patched in.

Also yes, you can use family sharing. I would just wait until the issue is sorted, however.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 25, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So many blood stains... and like half of them are people running straight off cliffs.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
The OP mentions a ring outside the cathedral in the tower area; but I cant seem to find it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bobnumerotres posted:

I think the general healing nerf is great because it forces you to be careful when you're on the field, and you're forced to play smart. Dark Souls and ESPECIALLY Demon Souls were very forgiving when it came to the amount of healing you could do, so you sort of learn to play like poo poo because it takes half a second to stuff moongrass into your mouth and heal to max.

It's still fairly easy to pop lifegems during a fight though, and you get access to infinite gems as early as the first post-tutorial area.

Its not a healing nerf at all when you can farm an infinite amount of gems if you have the patience. I actually want to make progress though, not kill zombies for an hour to work around a lovely health system. The healing over time isn't what bothers me, its the fact that I have a limited amount that can only be replenished through grinding. And if I grind enough, I can just suck all resource challenge out of the game because I have infinite healing.

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah there's one more in Majula and one behind a locked door that you can just break down by attacking. Do you just want a guide to find them? They're all over the internet.

That door doesn't respond at all when I attack it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 25, 2014

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

ethanol posted:

So many blood stains... and like half of them are people running straight off cliffs.

And the other half are people instantly attacking every NPC possible in Majula. Literally 4 bloodstains in that merchant dudes house.

Internet Kraken posted:

Its not a healing nerf at all when you can farm an infinite amount of gems if you have the patience. I actually want to make progress though, not kill zombies for an hour to work around a lovely health system. The healing over time isn't what bothers me, its the fact that I have a limited amount that can only be replenished through grinding. And if I grind enough, I can just suck all resource challenge out of the game because I have infinite healing.

I beat the first area+boss with a dagger and still have 20 lifegems. You should have 3 estus well before you encounter the first boss.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Filthy Haiku posted:

The OP mentions a ring outside the cathedral in the tower area; but I cant seem to find it.

Go to the drawbridge and kill the guy there. You can sprint past everyone else but the last guy has to die.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Filthy Haiku posted:

You need to lower the drawbridge to access it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

They fixed a very broken healing system. Now, in the early game, you have to conserve your healing since Estus is limited and lifegems are limited for a bit. They give you enough to last until you kill the last giant, at which point you can use the souls from that to buy a bunch from Melentia.

Limiting estus is a very good thing. Only problem is the ability to chug more than once, tho that's more a PVP thing.

Only downside is the potentially infinite healing if you're willing to spend some souls, but thankfully they took the Demon's souls route of that not mattering because things kill you very quickly if yo try to tank, so having a ton of lifegems doesn't help in the midst of battle.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Internet Kraken posted:

The locked door isn't in Majula. It's above the second bonfire in the forest of giants.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Internet Kraken posted:

Try actually playing the game instead of just shaking your controller in rage.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Dr. Carwash posted:

And the other half are people instantly attacking every NPC possible in Majula. Literally 4 bloodstains in that merchant dudes house.

I beat the first area+boss with a dagger and still have 20 lifegems. You should have 3 estus well before you encounter the first boss.

You'll have 4 estus by the area boss if you've looked thoroughly enough.

Internet Kraken posted:

Not the locked door in Majula. There's one upstairs from the second bonfire (Cardinal Tower) in Forest of Fallen Giants. You can break it down, the shard is in a chest in there. However the mansion has one in it too, there's a guy you rescue to get the key.

Also if you killed the big knights in Heide, you should have sublime bone dust. Burn it at the bonfire in Majula to upgrade your flask to +1.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 25, 2014

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Is anyone else getting a "*Host Name* has left the area" message occasionally when you are doing co-op and the host goes into a boss room? Its happening about 20% of the time on the Ruins Sentinels, not really sure what's causing this but it sucks to get sent home when you're so close to the prize :(

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Man, I'm complete garbage at this game and I love it. The enemies feel like they're a hell of a lot meaner compared to DaS1 which is keeping me on my toes. My only complaint is the Estus Flask situation and health recovery in general. It feels really limiting and punishing this early in the game and I'm finding myself running out of lifegems regularly.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Um, why isn't my 360 controller working with this game? It's a corded controller plugged right into usb, works with every other game, and I checked its calibration in hardware settings and it's input is reading correctly.

It just doesn't work with DS2. What the gently caress?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

So are the controls for movement on a controller supposed to be as fluid and omnidirectional as DaS1? Because my controllers (I tried both ps4 and xbox360) really really feel like there's only 8 directions and it sucks. I've been getting used to it but it should be so much better. Oddly enough it's fine for the camera.

I only read 2-3 people online having the same issue, anyone know if it's real or we're imagining it?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Turncoat Mommy posted:

Try actually playing the game instead of just shaking your controller in rage.

I beat Dark Souls on SL 1. It has nothing to do with skill, its just a lovely system and I mad because they hosed up a really good system rather than fixing the minor problems with it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Internet Kraken posted:

I beat Dark Souls on SL 1. It has nothing to do with skill, its just a lovely system and I mad because they hosed up a really good system rather than fixing the minor problems with it.

Shut the gently caress up and adapt, Jesus Christ. You get more flasks over time, its fine!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

It's a good system and a great correction to how estus was broken in dks. My only complain is they let you get too many flasks; it really should be limited to 5 (and they should probably limit total # of lifegems), though it's not as big of a deal since healing mid combat is tougher.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Try not doing this, it's a video game. I don't care about your skill or whatever, don't get angry at a video game but I promise you farming isn't required at all and I did my first dk2 playthrough with no shield, no spells, and dex weapons.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Seriously you will have 4 flasks by the time you hit the first area boss if you just look or read a guide if you still have trouble finding them. And like I said, you in particular should already be able to upgrade your flask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
So, my friend and me can't seem to coop.

He has the white soap stone, we are both past level 10. The regional thing in the options is allowed. But, can't see his signs. We both have humanity. Can't see his signs.

Do I also need the soapstone? Or whats the problem here?

I've got the steam version, he doesn't. Is that the problem?