Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'm really bad at finding these bonfires, keep having to start miles back at the last ones I found. But this game is pretty great so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

neetengie posted:

I was just giving him directions - the footprints should have tipped him off.

Sorry, I remember there's actually something in the bushes up there so I thought you were just misremembering.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Genocyber posted:

If you don't have rock solid 60 fps that might be it; I've noticed when I get drops in framerate the camera movement feels really stiff. Which is weird since I never felt that with ps3 version, despite the framerate varying fairly considerably between areas.

Stiff, yeah, that's the word I was shooting for. And no, my 60fps is dead steady (though just to make sure I changed quality from high to low--no dice).

I did just notice that my controller (again, Logitech F310) has a switch on the back that apparently toggles between Xinput and DirectInput. It was on X, would D work better? (I'm going to bed, else I'd just try it.)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I CAN'T HANDLE HOW MANY STATS I GOTTA RAISE

It's really cool how you've got to pay attention to almost all of them, instead of just pumping up vit and end until you're comfortable.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Space Hamlet posted:

The guard break and leaping attacks seem to be impossible on KB+M - I know how to do them on a controller, but is there a trick I'm missing with the keyboard controls?

Yeah I haven't managed to do either of those yet, but I might not have tried the exact combos in this post…

YOSPOS King posted:

You can reliably pull off one of those shield bash and leaping attack things with keyboard and mouse.

Forward+right click, right click for one

Forward+right click, forward+right click for the other

Because that means I have to forward+click, then click again? But when I double click I usually get a power attack. I dunno I need to recheck my binds. FROM may have fixed the graphics on PC but the UI and keyboard/mouse controls are still mostly crap. They're just slightly improved from DkS1, argh.

Then there's this…, re: 480k souls PC kill on night 1 --

FrickenMoron posted:

Edited save file, he was at max SL. Now your soul memory is hosed. Welcome to dks2!

I realize, 'offline mode' and all but making zero effort to prevent modified save games from performing invasions seems dumb too. It's 2014, figure it out or just do online saves only since several major games require internet connections for playing these days.

Anyway, I got to up to some NPC sitting on a bench in Forest of the Fallen Giants before having to call it a night. Trying real hard to learn to play with kb+m but parrying is ridiculously hard so far and I haven't broke guards either, so, still figuring this out. I think I've lost about 2000 souls from unrecovered deaths. You guys?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

So has this HDMI problem been narrowed down any since it cropped up? I don't see much about it in the last page or so.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, assuming PvP doesn't keep you going, with the way enemies stop respawning, is there actually a kind of soul-cap in the game, or are there certain completely farmable areas?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So in the forest of the giants what's up with the hawk thing that attacks you at the top of the wall? I fell off the platform and it disappeared and I can't get it to spawn again.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Are there any level restrictions to the white soapstone co-op this time around? I just got through that god awful Wharf and there's no way I'm going back there if my level's too high for the two starting zones.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Ravenfood posted:

So, assuming PvP doesn't keep you going, with the way enemies stop respawning, is there actually a kind of soul-cap in the game, or are there certain completely farmable areas?

There are, though they really aren't required. There are late-game consumables that let you reset the spawns for an entire zone.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Manatee Cannon posted:

So in the forest of the giants what's up with the hawk thing that attacks you at the top of the wall? I fell off the platform and it disappeared and I can't get it to spawn again.

That crow (it's apparently a crow from the guidebook - looks like a hawk though) drops off the boss of the area for a special one time showdown - you still fight him later on, that's just an opportunity to fight him earlier.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Huzzah! I can't get this game to recognize any of the three controllers I've tried on it so far (360, DS4, X1). I think trying to get the Xbone controller working with those unofficial drivers really hosed something up, but I really have no idea. Not a big deal, though. The white crash screen is pretty fun, too, even though the workaround of telling my system I don't want to use one of my displays anymore worked.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you leave the platform for any reason he'll leave it permanently. He'll be back a little later elsewhere though, don't worry.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

neetengie posted:

That crow (it's apparently a crow from the guidebook - looks like a hawk though) drops off the boss of the area for a special one time showdown - you still fight him later on, that's just an opportunity to fight him earlier.

Great, thanks. I was a little bummed that it just disappeared.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Darke GBF posted:

Huzzah! I can't get this game to recognize any of the three controllers I've tried on it so far (360, DS4, X1). I think trying to get the Xbone controller working with those unofficial drivers really hosed something up, but I really have no idea. Not a big deal, though. The white crash screen is pretty fun, too, even though the workaround of telling my system I don't want to use one of my displays anymore worked.

Have you tried using the Xinput for the DS4? Here it is.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Edited save file, he was at max SL. Now your soul memory is hosed. Welcome to dks2!

The good news about this is he might be able to edit his own soul memory so he's not totally screwed. Maybe?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Its not a healing nerf at all when you can farm an infinite amount of gems if you have the patience. I actually want to make progress though, not kill zombies for an hour to work around a lovely health system. The healing over time isn't what bothers me, its the fact that I have a limited amount that can only be replenished through grinding. And if I grind enough, I can just suck all resource challenge out of the game because I have infinite healing.

What? It's exceedingly easy to have virtually infinite life gems, the first merchant you come across on the first "level" of the game sells them for cheap and if you exhaust her Talk options she'll move into Majula and sell unlimited gems for cheap.

Estus are limited because they're a very fast heal that can be effectively used in combat, lifegems are super common because most of the time you're using them in breaks between fights. You are pretty much intended to be carrying around a ton of them.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

Great, thanks. I was a little bummed that it just disappeared.

Yeah the bird will actually be helpful later. Not the man it's carrying though.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Looking forward to pc dudes meeting the Ruin Sentinels. :allears:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Somebody send me $50 so I can buy this. I'm dying.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress you, Persuer. gently caress you twelve times or however many times it took me before I figured out your trick and explained by Club Supremecy rules your face.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

neetengie posted:

When he got dropped off there I went off chasing some mook and when I returned he was gone :sigh:
Later I came back while white soapstoning and our team of three wasted his worthless rear end. If only I had done that after struggling on him solo... would have been so, so sweet.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

nftyw posted:

When he got dropped off there I went off chasing some mook and when I returned he was gone :sigh:
Later I came back while white soapstoning and our team of three wasted his worthless rear end. If only I had done that after struggling on him solo... would have been so, so sweet.

Don't worry, you can fight him multiple times throughout the game.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

nftyw posted:

Don't worry. You get multiple chances. And the only the first encounter is a one-time deal. For the rest, you get to try as many times as you need to win.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Looking forward to pc dudes meeting the Ruin Sentinels. :allears:

Especially the lightly armored sorcerors. That was the one NPC summon that did not make a good meat shield for me. :negative:

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx

pun pundit posted:

So has this HDMI problem been narrowed down any since it cropped up? I don't see much about it in the last page or so.

Nothing beyond starting the game with a different display not using HDMI and then moving the game over to your display that's using HDMI or unplugging your HDMI cable before starting the game and then plugging it back in once it's started. Neither of those are appealing to me. Namco Bandai is at least aware of the problem so hopefully we get some more info sometime over the course of Friday.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

neetengie posted:

For the latter, yes, there is no cross system play.

But we are both playing on PC. Or do you mean that it needs to be a specific PC version for it to work?

He had some preorder version from somewhere (he was preloading it so it wasn't a physical copy I don't think), I bought it on steam. PC nonetheless.

Don't tell me it's really something as trivial as that.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Daynab posted:

So are the controls for movement on a controller supposed to be as fluid and omnidirectional as DaS1? Because my controllers (I tried both ps4 and xbox360) really really feel like there's only 8 directions and it sucks. I've been getting used to it but it should be so much better. Oddly enough it's fine for the camera.

I only read 2-3 people online having the same issue, anyone know if it's real or we're imagining it?

I'm having this exact issue and it's really annoying. Don't know what the problem is, since DS1 worked fine. I'm using a DS4 with the XInput wrapper.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I was getting really drat frustrated earlier, because I started as a sorcerer but was trying to conserve my spellcasts since I obviously have no idea how far apart bonfires are, and I didn't want to run out early.

So I'm spending half of the valley of the giants trying to stab everything with my dagger, while my shield only blocks 20% of hits because I start with 3 strength, and I'm already down to half max HP because I was trying to practice parrying (which has this weird wind-up before it works so it doesn't seem to be reactive anymore).

Finally make it to the boss, die multiple times because he one shots me, especially when he rips off his loving arm :stare: and only after I beat him do I remember I have an estus flask. gently caress me.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Also wondering if I need another controller, because the Logitech PoS one I have now (a PS2 controller basically) doesn't seem to register with the game, eventhough it worked with DS1. Or is there a way to get past that somehow?

I mean I could dig up some drivers but I think this is one of those cases where the last driver came out in 2005 or something.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Gortarius posted:

But we are both playing on PC. Or do you mean that it needs to be a specific PC version for it to work?

He had some preorder version from somewhere (he was preloading it so it wasn't a physical copy I don't think), I bought it on steam. PC nonetheless.

Don't tell me it's really something as trivial as that.

From what you said it sounded like you had the PC copy and he didn't - if you're both on Steam it's fine, doesn't matter where the copy was bought, just sometimes you won't see your friends Soul Signs. Like another guy said, buy Deity Named Rings from the Cat in Majula, pick the same Deity, check to see if both your SL and Soul Memory are close to one another, and you should summon just fine. You need to wear the ring for it to work.

Also did you pick the Covenant of Champions guild? If so, that disables co-op.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Just stepped into Majula. So beautiful. Cycled through NPC conversations mostly, found my way to the Forest and the Tower as well, not sure what I should tackle first.

edit: so where are all the pre-order things? Can't find them in the game folder.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

neetengie posted:

From what you said it sounded like you had the PC copy and he didn't - if you're both on Steam it's fine, doesn't matter where the copy was bought, just sometimes you won't see your friends Soul Signs. Like another guy said, buy Deity Named Rings from the Cat in Majula, pick the same Deity, check to see if both your SL and Soul Memory are close to one another, and you should summon just fine. You need to wear the ring for it to work.

Also did you pick the Covenant of Champions guild? If so, that disables co-op.

No covenants, I don't think he has joined one either. Anyways, thanks for the tip, I'll try this poo poo out when we play next.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

neetengie posted:

Have you tried using the Xinput for the DS4? Here it is.

'preciate the help, but I had the DS4 version of that installed (http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper) and it doesn't work. I've tried checking and unchecking the "Hide DS4 controllers" option as well. Big picture mode works on Steam, so the controller is recognized by my system, but Dark Souls 2 just doesn't respond.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Gortarius posted:

Also wondering if I need another controller, because the Logitech PoS one I have now (a PS2 controller basically) doesn't seem to register with the game, eventhough it worked with DS1. Or is there a way to get past that somehow?

I mean I could dig up some drivers but I think this is one of those cases where the last driver came out in 2005 or something.

Mine was acting up badly too. Do you have a tiny switch on the back of your controller that you can flip? When I did that, then unplugged and plugged the cord back in, the controller inputs (mostly) went back to how they work in Dark Souls 1.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sober posted:

Just stepped into Majula. So beautiful. Cycled through NPC conversations mostly, found my way to the Forest and the Tower as well, not sure what I should tackle first.

edit: so where are all the pre-order things? Can't find them in the game folder.

The Forest seems to pretty much be where you're intended to go since it's got weaker enemies (relatively) and estus shards all over, but you can go to the Tower if you really want a challenge for a starting character (and some nice helpful loot if you make it).

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kimmalah posted:

The Forest seems to pretty much be where you're intended to go since it's got weaker enemies (relatively) and estus shards all over, but you can go to the Tower if you really want a challenge for a starting character (and some nice helpful loot if you make it).

I had no idea the forest existed and thought tower was my only option :negative:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Sober posted:

One of those areas has regular slow-rear end hollows. The other, not so much.

I'd start with the hollows.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Alright, good stopping point for tonight. Got down Last Giant and Pursuer. Last Giant felt very Taurus Demon in difficulty. If only frustrating because I had to widdle him down with a dagger. Pursuer on the other hand was a good step up. I was getting my poo poo wrecked because I'm over reliant on those DS1 invincibility frames in the dodge-roll. Finally got him though, had to switch to using a mace.

Now, I've got enough stats to power-stance Caestus, and I'm really liking the quick double jab. So, how close am I to finding a white soapstone of any kind? I'd like to co-op Pursuer for more practice with my new fist weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Gotta level up a bit more, decided to roll as Depraved so all I really have is a dagger I found in the tutorial area and the robes I started out with and a shield that I found. Having 6 in all stats makes it tough to really use ... well anything right away.