Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Jon Hamm just loves guesting on every show he can. I'm pretty sure he just sends out memos offering a guest appearance to any show he finds entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Especially comedies. I never saw him guest on dramas.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

pentyne posted:

Jon Hamm just loves guesting on every show he can. I'm pretty sure he just sends out memos offering a guest appearance to any show he finds entertaining.

Didn't he play a doofus character in 30 rock as well?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

OmegaBR posted:

Did anyone else sort of assume that the copyright to Cones of Dunshire would set them right in terms of finances for raising the three kids?

Ben becoming an icon in hardcore boardgaming circles would be both a new direction and oddly perfect for him.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'm really worried that next season is going to be like Scrubs after everyone left.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Sockser posted:

I'm really worried that next season is going to be like Scrubs after everyone left.

Except nobody left besides Anne and Chris. So it won't be.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

tonic316 posted:

Except nobody left besides Anne and Chris. So it won't be.

I never watched Scrubs but this show has nowhere to go from here. Is Leslie gonna become president and move the White House to Pawnee?

edit: just realized Hillary is probably president in their near-future.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why does it have to go anywhere? I just want to see more weird town meetings and Tom's businesses and seeing what April and Andy are up to.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

screaden posted:

Didn't he play a doofus character in 30 rock as well?

Well, he plays an actor that plays a doofus in blackface. So probably.

He also plays a doofus character in The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret which everyone should watch.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

PittTheElder posted:

Well, he plays an actor that plays a doofus in blackface. So probably.

He was also the stupid doctor who lived in "the bubble" where no one told him you can't marinade salmon with Gatorade.

I absolutely loved the finale, especially holographic Li'l Sebastian - I think my favorite part about the time jump (how very BSG of them, by the way) was the West Wing-style walk-and-talk camerawork the final scene adopted.

Also, yeah Andy, Power Rangers is actually still going. :colbert:

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 25, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mu Zeta posted:

Why does it have to go anywhere? I just want to see more weird town meetings and Tom's businesses and seeing what April and Andy are up to.

I guess in theory it could work but I can't think of another sitcom that has pulled it off after tying up all the story lines.

I guess Community's last season was OK despite having series finales at the end of every season, but it's a lot more wacky in general.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TheRationalRedditor posted:

BUT THE SEETHING PASSIVE AGGRESSION WAS SO TUMBLR-READY
I know, right? People who talk about how women are treated like poo poo on television all the time belong on that other website where everybody's a humorless feminist shrew and can't stop pointing out things that make me uncomfortable!

Women are objects, bro! :hfive: Don't they know?

Hyperbolic sarcasm aside, I really, really, really, really dig that the show took a turn for the lovely and then yanked back on the joystick to climb out of the stupid. It makes no sense, considering every season is a year, so the show now takes place in 2017, but the alternative was so much worse. Color my faith restored. This was fantastic.

I still think Craig is damaging.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That would've made an excellent series finale.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't wait to see the futuristic wonders of 2017 Pawnee. Perhaps... third in obesity?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah, I don't really mind Craig as a character. He just doesn't seem to fit very well to me. He stands out a lot. He seems to be so much more of a gimmick character than the others. I'm trying to remember what my initial impressions of Chris were, though. I can see him seeming to be very much a gimmick character too at first, and Craig's only consistently been around for what, half a season?

I think I need to rewatch this season, since so much of my misgivings were from uncertainty of where all these plot threads were heading.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Craig is a gimmick character that should be in a few of the town meetings. Not a staff member.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

Craig is a gimmick character that should be in a few of the town meetings. Not a staff member.
This really wouldn't solve the problen of stereotyping gay people as loud, obnoxious perfectionists.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Viridiant posted:

Yeah, I don't really mind Craig as a character. He just doesn't seem to fit very well to me. He stands out a lot. He seems to be so much more of a gimmick character than the others. I'm trying to remember what my initial impressions of Chris were, though. I can see him seeming to be very much a gimmick character too at first, and Craig's only consistently been around for what, half a season?

I think I need to rewatch this season, since so much of my misgivings were from uncertainty of where all these plot threads were heading.

I think Chris didn't become wonderful to me until "STOP. POOPING." He really made sense as a character then. Maybe Craig will get his moment like that next year. Or a tragic sommelier accident will result in vocal paralysis.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

LividLiquid posted:

This really wouldn't solve the problen of stereotyping gay people as loud, obnoxious perfectionists.
No but it would help tremendously the stereotype of him being on my television.

It's a shame because Billy Eichner isclearly very contemplative, here is a great interview with him, but I just want him to stop doing everything he's doing and do other things, is that so much to ask?

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 25, 2014

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I think Chris didn't become wonderful to me until "STOP. POOPING." He really made sense as a character then. Maybe Craig will get his moment like that next year. Or a tragic sommelier accident will result in vocal paralysis.
I'll like the character a lot more if he starts showing some personality beyond a gay joke, sure, but it will always bother me that he is a walking, talking gay stereotype who causes people to continue thinking that all of us queers are a punchline of one kind or another.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LividLiquid posted:

I'll like the character a lot more if he starts showing some personality beyond a gay joke, sure, but it will always bother me that he is a walking, talking gay stereotype who causes people to continue thinking that all of us queers are a punchline of one kind or another.

Yeah I'm 100% with you there. So maybe like, a champagne cork? Hits him in the neck?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
If you've ever watched Billy on the Street, you know that Craig isn't actually a character.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw him on Jay Leno before and he was awful there too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Has Craig ever admitted he is gay? Perhaps it is you, good sir, who is the bigot.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Oh good, this again

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

I cringe every time Billy Eichner comes on screen. His gag was tired from the start.

The writing for him isn't terrible but the yell-talking bit ruins it for me.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
When Parks & Recreation finally goes off the air, I swear to God it will be like watching a family member die for me. I never thought I could love (a tv show) again so much after Arrested Development but as the credits rolled last night I realized that Parks had totally eclipsed it in my mind.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

It's the best show going right now, and the only one that consistently makes me laugh. The fact that they get to include weird things like Bobby Knight Ranger that are so subtle and so funny is what I like most about the show.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Yeah I'm 100% with you there. So maybe like, a champagne cork? Hits him in the neck?
I'd love an episode where he has to get throat surgery and is forced to find other means to freak out.

It does seem weird that his character is so stereotypical, since P&R and its awesome sister-show Brooklyn 99 have been pretty decent and self aware (comparatively, at the very least) in how they represent gender and race. Have they actually already established that Craig is gay? Because it'd be hilarious if everyone assumed so, then went to his house and discovered he was married to a woman and reacted accordingly.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

leidend posted:

Has Craig ever admitted he is gay? Perhaps it is you, good sir, who is the bigot.

I dont recall them talking about his sexuality one way or the other, but then again I tend to block him out since his gimmick is too... Gimmicky for my refined comedic tastes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I liked seeing Blake from Workaholics, though I feel there was a HUGE missed joke opportunity by not having him say he used to work at a telemarketing firm before striking it rich with Gizzle, or whatever that company was.

So...2017 Ben was wearing a Tux, going downstairs, and Leslie said it was a big night for him.

Inauguration party for being elected mayor? Or perhaps just an election night live-watching at the "campaign HQ" (i.e., the old P&R office) while waiting to see if he wins?

I mean, he's got all the Cones money to use for a campaign warchest, and I imagine by 2017 he's got iOS, Android, and DinoOS ports (DinoOS being Tom's latest business experiment.)

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
This episode was stunning and the fact that y'all were freaking out in this thread about the pregnancy thing and talking like you were experts and predicting the end of the show only to be so thoroughly loving owned was the cherry on top.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Muslim Wookie posted:

This episode was stunning and the fact that y'all were freaking out in this thread about the pregnancy thing and talking like you were experts and predicting the end of the show only to be so thoroughly loving owned was the cherry on top.

Yeah, I was going to state this in a much less eloquent way. It wasn't the most solid season they've had but you still have standouts like Cones of Dunshire, the finale, Fluoride, and Prom. The whole production is solid. Good writing is part of it, but the actors know their characters as well and I think everyone is incredibly invested in making Parks the best it can be. I don't think the same can be said of The Office or HIMYM (which admittedly I've never watched but I read the finale and Jesus, what a terrible loving ending). I would agree that the 7th season should be the last because they've pushed things ahead enough that the writers can do ANYTHING. Maybe we get a season as a prologue to that moment, maybe an episode or two, maybe nothing and we pick up right where we left off.

I'm not aware of any other sitcom that pulled a time jump like this, so I'm not sure what to expect. I think it will be good though. The writers are not afraid to take things in a different direction. Also, I love that Gerry had his name changed again!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Like I said before. I was ready to just finish this season out and completely ignore the final season. This finale changed all that. I'm now eager to see how deep the future rabbit hole goes. I bet Andy and April did get divorced and remarried.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah, I was going to state this in a much less eloquent way. It wasn't the most solid season they've had but you still have standouts like Cones of Dunshire, the finale, Fluoride, and Prom. The whole production is solid. Good writing is part of it, but the actors know their characters as well and I think everyone is incredibly invested in making Parks the best it can be. I don't think the same can be said of The Office or HIMYM (which admittedly I've never watched but I read the finale and Jesus, what a terrible loving ending). I would agree that the 7th season should be the last because they've pushed things ahead enough that the writers can do ANYTHING. Maybe we get a season as a prologue to that moment, maybe an episode or two, maybe nothing and we pick up right where we left off.

I'm not aware of any other sitcom that pulled a time jump like this, so I'm not sure what to expect. I think it will be good though. The writers are not afraid to take things in a different direction. Also, I love that Gerry had his name changed again!

I believe the Office was of a similarly skilled level of writing but in a different genre of comedy, but aside from that I wholeheartedly agree with what you've written.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I can't wait to see the futuristic wonders of 2017 Pawnee. Perhaps... third in obesity?

Free wifi means that they don't have to walk to the library to order a pizza online.

So probably second in obesity, at least.

(When we find out that they're fourth in obesity, doesn't Leslie or Tom or someone name-drop who #3 in obesity is?)

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

FadingChord posted:

(When we find out that they're fourth in obesity, doesn't Leslie or Tom or someone name-drop who #3 in obesity is?)

"We're coming for you, San Antonio!"

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Muslim Wookie posted:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AnimeJune posted:

I'd love an episode where he has to get throat surgery and is forced to find other means to freak out.

It does seem weird that his character is so stereotypical, since P&R and its awesome sister-show Brooklyn 99 have been pretty decent and self aware (comparatively, at the very least) in how they represent gender and race. Have they actually already established that Craig is gay? Because it'd be hilarious if everyone assumed so, then went to his house and discovered he was married to a woman and reacted accordingly.

The show has hit a few sour notes in the past - I skip "Sister City" every time it comes up in the rotation, for instance. This is why writing room diversity is so important - no matter how well-intentioned and progressive people are, if you're writing about an identity no one in the room has, a lot of assumptions can go unchecked. You need that other perspective to take a second look at things and go "did anyone notice this is horrible?" and ideally you need more than one person of that identity in the room, because otherwise people tend to keep quiet to avoid being shouted down.

Comedy that plays really well within one community/setting can curdle into negative stereotype when it's put on national TV too, which I think might be part of the problem with Billy on the Street vs. Craig. If Craig was the first-ever TV character to read as gay and be a shrieking hyper-emotional perfectionist then it wouldn't be that much different than how it plays on the internet as Billy on the Street. On the internet no single perspective gets to define how people's identities are expressed and accordingly there's huge variation, but on TV Craig is just stepping into a mold shared by almost every gay character in TV history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

According to that Hitfix interview Mike Schurr loves Craig and plans to put him in even more next season.

• Locked thread