Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Holy loving poo poo the koopa "swing left right left right" attack is literally impossible to anticipate and 90->5%s you every time. What in the gently caress, they don't do it to me barely at all and in easily avoidable circumstances for 3 hours then they do it every time, over and over and over and over and over and over. I had to dash away from one 4 times because it KEPT DOING IT OVER AND OVER AND THERE WAS NO WAIT IN BETWEEN.

What in the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So now that I'm at the point where I'll start leveling up. I dont really plan on using magic, but I'd like to be a warrior who's a tank and can at some point wield giant weapons while still being adept at shield, should I just pile all my points in (vitality,Dexterity,strength,endurance) and ignore everything else?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How playable is this with mouse and keyboard? I wonder if its possible to use my logitech wireless keyboard bluetooth dongle to get my PS3 controller to work

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Good lord people, buy a used wired 360 controller for like 15 dollars somewhere. How can so many people that play PC games not have one by now :psyduck:

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Al-Saqr posted:

So now that I'm at the point where I'll start leveling up. I dont really plan on using magic, but I'd like to be a warrior who's a tank and can at some point wield giant weapons while still being adept at shield, should I just pile all my points in (vitality,Dexterity,strength,endurance) and ignore everything else?

If you're going to tank, the most important stat is probably Vigor. Otherwise, you could probably ignore everything else, yeah. If you plan to do any dodge-rolling--and this is not a bad thing to plan for--you should invest at least some points in ADP. Get it up to around 18-20.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I've yet to come up with a consistent way to kill the shield using Old Knights that doesn't involve a healing item at the end. Meanwhile the wannabe grim reapers in the place after Pursuer take gently caress all damage from my powerstance maces. Clearly I'm doing something wrong in both cases but I'm not sure just what.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jose posted:

How playable is this with mouse and keyboard? I wonder if its possible to use my logitech wireless keyboard bluetooth dongle to get my PS3 controller to work

The mouse controls are kinda hosed up, Dexter's Secret posted a fix (click the ? under my name, I liked to it.)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Jose posted:

Plug the PS3 controller in with a USB cable.

Tada! It's now working.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

You can just plug the charge cable into a USB port on your computer with a PS3 controller, it doesn't have to actually be a wired controller. I used to play some games like that until I bought a wired 360 controller.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

I made red waluigii

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Okay, finally got around to playing this for a bit.

Some observations:

- Controls feel off and unresponsive with a controller. I'm slowly getting used to it but right now, DaS1 had straight up faster and more responsive attacks. Jumping is even worse than before!

- Lots of sneaky ambushes in the Forest of Giants. At certain points I had the impression the game spawns new enemies behind you. That's rather cheap. Nothing I can't handle but still.

- Coop and messages are better and all in all pretty cool, especially with the sheer amount of people running around.

- It would have been great if From had managed to not make you look like a sack of potatoes when wearing cloth armor. :(

- What the gently caress is with these pigs, man?

Also I am the swolest grandpa!

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 25, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

- Lots of sneaky ambushes in the Forest of Giants. At certain points I had the impression the game spawns new enemies behind you. That's rather cheap. Nothing I can't handle but still.
It's enemies lying on the ground that stand up. Stab every body to be safe. Good general life tip.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

dis astranagant posted:

I've yet to come up with a consistent way to kill the shield using Old Knights that doesn't involve a healing item at the end. Meanwhile the wannabe grim reapers in the place after Pursuer take gently caress all damage from my powerstance maces. Clearly I'm doing something wrong in both cases but I'm not sure just what.

Circle-strafe the shield Old Knights to the right and you should dodge all three of their swings, hit them 2-3 times after they finish.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I didn't dare face those pigs until I had a +3 Fire Longsword on my belt. What the gently caress pigs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

What I did with them and pretty much everyone else is walk up to them, wait for them to start their attack, roll away, come back and stunlock them to death until they die/I'm about to run out of stamina. Repeat as necessary. Works pretty well!

And yeah those pigs are ridiculous, they're hard to hit too.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Kimmalah posted:

Seriously you will have 4 flasks by the time you hit the first area boss if you just look or read a guide if you still have trouble finding them. And like I said, you in particular should already be able to upgrade your flask.
I've beaten 3 bosses now and I'm still rolling with 2 flasks. :( It was getting real frustrating in Dead Man's Wharf, 'Oh I took a single hit in the first half, time to run all the way back to the bonfire and start over.' It just seems a shame I've resorted to running past every enemy so early in the game, but I can't afford to fight them and make any mistakes.

I thought I'd been pretty thorough canvasing the areas I've passed, but apparently not. You'd think they ought to leave one or two early flask upgrades on the beaten path that can't be missed.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
As a priest, will buying the extra 'heal' spell from a merchant let me cast it 3 more times/rest? Also, should I even bother raising faith until I find more spells? Or just pump str/dex for more weapons/armor?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

As a priest, will buying the extra 'heal' spell from a merchant let me cast it 3 more times/rest? Also, should I even bother raising faith until I find more spells? Or just pump str/dex for more weapons/armor?

Buying more copies of a spell raises charges if you attune the extra ones. At least that's how it worked in DaS1.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Bought this as a pre-emptive victory present to myself for after my interview this morning. :darksouls:

You Didn't Get The Job

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

The Last Giant. I loving KNEW THEY WERE CYCLOPSES

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

What the gently caress is up with weapon durability. My broadsword broke twice inside 30 minutes inside Forest of Giants. Is this going to be a thing now where I constantly have to warp back to Majula to repair my weapon every time I even see a bonfire?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Wolpertinger posted:

If you have the attunement slots to memorize it, yeah. More of the same spell attuned = more casts.

You can keep raising Faith, since it will effect your spell power, depending on your Chime scaling, and possible Lightning, Fire or Dark damage weapons.

Str/Dex is a matter of taste. If you want to try something new, go for it!

tRIDAV posted:

What the gently caress is up with weapon durability. My broadsword broke twice inside 30 minutes inside Forest of Giants. Is this going to be a thing now where I constantly have to warp back to Majula to repair my weapon every time I even see a bonfire?

Weapon durability is definitely something you have to pay attention to. Try to avoid hitting walls and environment, as that damages weapons faster. Resting at a bonfire restores all non-broken items back to max durability. So when you get the "WEAPON AT RISK" warning, swap to a second weapon.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 25, 2014

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So something interesting for people who played Dark Souls - Illusionary walls are different in Dark Souls 2. Instead of smacking the wall with a weapon, you need to walk up to them and hit the same button that you use to pick up items. I had to actually look that up online because I couldn't believe that I hadn't found a single fake wall even though I'd run across 10+ messages about them.

There are also other types of walls that can be destroyed in various ways, and some walls that need to have a specific device activated before they can be destroyed.

Edit:

tRIDAV posted:

Your weapons repair to full durability whenever you rest at a bonfire. However, if you fully break a weapon, then you have to go to a smith to get it repaired. A good policy is to keep a backup weapon for weapons that break easily, or just use more durable weapons in the first place. I really like this change because it makes you actually care about the durability of your weapons, as opposed to it being a pointless time/soul sink that didn't even cost enough to dent the wallet in the first place.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

tRIDAV posted:

Protip, watch the red bar under your weapon. It resets when you rest at a bonfire.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I just picked up the name engraving ring. Should we all try to engrave the same god onto it for more jolly goonoperation?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
The sentinel fight is bullshit. That is all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

Your weapons repair to full durability whenever you rest at a bonfire. However, if you fully break a weapon, then you have to go to a smith to get it repaired. A good policy is to keep a backup weapon for weapons that break easily, or just use more durable weapons in the first place. I really like this change because it makes you actually care about the durability of your weapons, as opposed to it being a pointless time/soul sink that didn't even cost enough to dent the wallet in the first place.

Well poo poo, no wonder none of my weapons have ever broken. That's pretty nice.

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
I sense that I am needed in another realm...

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

gently caress wells, gently caress rats, and gently caress explosions. I hate them all. I hate this game. :mad:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

So something interesting for people who played Dark Souls - Illusionary walls are different in Dark Souls 2. Instead of smacking the wall with a weapon, you need to walk up to them and hit the same button that you use to pick up items. I had to actually look that up online because I couldn't believe that I hadn't found a single fake wall even though I'd run across 10+ messages about them.

They go both ways. Stone walls unless Pharros Walls need to be activated. Many walls like in No Man's Wharf you have to destroy

SuicideSnowman posted:

The sentinel fight is bullshit. That is all.
Raise ADP if your rolling sucks. Raise STR if you aren't doing enough damage. If you're a magic whore I don't know what to tell you

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

oh my god what the hell I batted an airborne firebomb back to sender with my bastard sword

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

BlackFrost posted:

It's the name of your character. I wish I had known this going in before giving my duder whatever random name popped into my head ("Sebastian" this time). Oh well.

As a random aside, names are censored. From what I can tell anything from swears to "something vaguely maybe not a good thing????" get starred out.

e: f;b

My character's name is Shoe. Other see it as S**e which makes it look SO MUCH WORSE.

I kind of love it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I got my DS4 working. YAAAY

scamtank posted:

oh my god what the hell I batted an airborne firebomb back to sender with my bastard sword

wat

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
What's with the little timer on the equipment screen that's 0:5:00?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

So did I get really lucky by getting two titanite slabs within 10 S&S stones or are they much less valuable than before?

edit: ^^^^^^^^^^ it's your torch time.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Wolpertinger posted:

What's with the little timer on the equipment screen that's 0:5:00?

That's how much torch time you have left. It goes up every time you find a torch.

Daynab posted:

So did I get really lucky by getting two titanite slabs within 10 S&S stones or are they much less valuable than before?

Less valuable. Most normal titanite is pretty easy to get your hands on.

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009
Hey so I safely descended into that Leonidas well in Majula and what the gently caress just happened? I'm exploring some weirdo rat crypt and then I get summoned and ganked? How? What? Why?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Attestant posted:

Less valuable. Most normal titanite is pretty easy to get your hands on.

Uhhh Titanite Slab is the rarest in the game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

Hey so I safely descended into that Leonidas well in Majula and what the gently caress just happened? I'm exploring some weirdo rat crypt and then I get summoned and ganked? How? What? Why?

Welcome to ratbroing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Alan Smithee posted:

Uhhh Titanite Slab is the rarest in the game.

Compared to DaS1 though, this game hands them out like candy.