Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Definitely not like SMT, never played Grimrock. Basically it's standard turn-based stuff, fighter types attack, mage types cast spells, you have things like Bards who can use instruments to "cast" a spell for free, there are hybrid classes (ie Samurai is "Fighter/Mage" with other perks such as being super fast/high crit rate). Speed determines who goes when in the turn. Depending on weapon, you will have options such as "stab" or "swing", which have different modifiers (stab does more damage but hits less often, etc).

For spells you select what "spell level" you want to cast. You can try to cast a spell at a higher level to be more effective, but if it's higher than your skill threshold it has a chance of failing. There are a lot of useful spells divided into schools, with buffs and status effects being very useful.

There's also a Stamina system, so you have to be careful not to get exhausted (and use abilities to restore it mid-battle). You can rest anywhere to recover HP/Stam/MP but there are very few (maybe none, I can't remember) places where you can rest without a chance of being ambushed in your sleep.

You can min/max to make the game a lot easier but it's not necessary by any means, as long as you don't do anything pointless like give a Mage tons of Strength.

Also, keep re-rolling until you can make a Fairy Ninja, trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

precision posted:

Definitely not like SMT, never played Grimrock. Basically it's standard turn-based stuff, fighter types attack, mage types cast spells, you have things like Bards who can use instruments to "cast" a spell for free, there are hybrid classes (ie Samurai is "Fighter/Mage" with other perks such as being super fast/high crit rate). Speed determines who goes when in the turn. Depending on weapon, you will have options such as "stab" or "swing", which have different modifiers (stab does more damage but hits less often, etc).

For spells you select what "spell level" you want to cast. You can try to cast a spell at a higher level to be more effective, but if it's higher than your skill threshold it has a chance of failing. There are a lot of useful spells divided into schools, with buffs and status effects being very useful.

There's also a Stamina system, so you have to be careful not to get exhausted (and use abilities to restore it mid-battle). You can rest anywhere to recover HP/Stam/MP but there are very few (maybe none, I can't remember) places where you can rest without a chance of being ambushed in your sleep.

You can min/max to make the game a lot easier but it's not necessary by any means, as long as you don't do anything pointless like give a Mage tons of Strength.

Also, keep re-rolling until you can make a Fairy Ninja, trust me.

Awesome! That sounds exactly like the kind of game I was thinking of. I went ahead and picked up Wizardry 6+7 based on your recommendation, and will probably get 8 when it goes on sale.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Culdcept Saga, most likely.

Yup that's it. Thanks!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

My favourite part of Victoria is the industrialization you go through as you progress, especially starting with a "weaker" country, and managing to get on the same level or at least the same ballpark of the industrial superpowers; especially the interactions between the different resources, and the different factories, building the infrastructure, making your country more appealing for immigration to increase your workforce...

Is there any game that focuses on that as their primary goal? Era doesn't matter, can be modern, can be Victorian, can be even fantasy/sci-fi.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pengu! posted:

Awesome! That sounds exactly like the kind of game I was thinking of. I went ahead and picked up Wizardry 6+7 based on your recommendation, and will probably get 8 when it goes on sale.

Thank you goon sir because I actually didn't know Wizardry 6 had been rendered playable on modern machines; for a really long time it was literally impossible to play it unless you had a 386/486 lying around. :cheers:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm looking for a really engaging browser based game, any genre is fine. Has to be on a SFW website. Thanks in advance.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I'm looking for a really engaging browser based game, any genre is fine. Has to be on a SFW website. Thanks in advance.

http://dinopoloclub.com/minimetro/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thank you.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Thanks for the Dungeon Keeper responses!

It's a series (duo?) that I've always heard about and didn't get into when it was new. Hearing about the disappointing mobile app on podcasts is what reminded me that it exists, so I grabbed the second one in the GOG sale last weekend. So far the tutorial stuff seems pretty engaging, and like something I'll be able to stay with despite the age.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Looking for something with multiple new games+ or similar. For instance, Kingdom of Loathing lets you run the main questline over and over (and over) again and you can choose to keep one of your class's skills with each new run. Or something like Rogue Legacy, but doesn't necessarily have to be a rogue-lite or RPG or anything.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

grate deceiver posted:

Yeah, I got bored of GalCiv pretty fast, but hey, the guy wanted sci-fi 4x.

Master of Orion 1 & 2 are still excellent despite their age. Ascendancy is pretty cool as well.

But seriously, what you really want is get SMAC to run. Trust me on this, ok? Sell your shitputer if you have to and buy a WinXP machine or something. I mean it, son, you'll thank me later.

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "For I Have Tasted the Fruit"

There isn't like a graphical overhaul out there for SMAC, is there?

More on topic, are there any more recent games that have the general combat feel of the old Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Oucast game? I really enjoyed the variety of melee fighting styles, the force aspects that allowed you to jump super high and use your powers top pull and push and deflect incoming fire that made combat encounters acrobatic and at times made things feel like the Matrix or something. The follow-up (Jedi Academy?) wasn't particularly good, and I'd love to play something like that but with updated graphics / concepts.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

SaviourX posted:

Looking for something with multiple new games+ or similar. For instance, Kingdom of Loathing lets you run the main questline over and over (and over) again and you can choose to keep one of your class's skills with each new run. Or something like Rogue Legacy, but doesn't necessarily have to be a rogue-lite or RPG or anything.

Risk of Rain does this. Woops I think that was only for the beta

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

SaviourX posted:

Cargo Commander does this kind of thing pretty well.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Habibi posted:

There isn't like a graphical overhaul out there for SMAC, is there?

There's this thing called Pandora: First Contact that was supposed to be a remake of SMAC in what looks like Civ 5 engine. It's really bad though, don't play it. It's worse than SMAC in every way.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SaviourX posted:

:darksouls: I believe Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2 also have this, but I didn't like the former and haven't played the latter.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SaviourX posted:

Infinity Blade on iOS :downs:

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.
A small size game available on Mac? This computer is a piece of poo poo. Been playing Cave Story, Hack Slash Loot, and Knights of Pen and Paper, and Binding of Isaac runs a little slowly but playably. Anything else of quality I might look into around this range?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Spelunky?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Is there anything out there similar to Spore's space stage?

Basically a space 4X game that's pretty simple and has really detailed interaction with planets

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Herobotic posted:

A small size game available on Mac? This computer is a piece of poo poo. Been playing Cave Story, Hack Slash Loot, and Knights of Pen and Paper, and Binding of Isaac runs a little slowly but playably. Anything else of quality I might look into around this range?

Lots. Just fro a quick rummage through my Steam recently played, games I'd recommend that have low system requirements and OSX versions, in no particular order:
- Tales of Maj'Eyal (roguelike)
- Dungeons of Dredmor (roguelike)
- Frozen Synapse (tactics; might run a bit poo poo but it's all turn-based)
- Defender's Quest (tower defence)
- Ittle Dew (puzzle)
- The Swapper (puzzle)
- Geneforge (RPG; I don't think the OSX version is on Steam for some reason, but it's on the developer's website)

The Spelunky recommendation is also a good one.

You can also, of course, install Dosbox and go wild with older games; System Shock and Strike Force Centauri might prove too much (but are worth checking out anyways), but stuff like Betrayal at Krondor and the old Apogee platformers should work fine. Along similar lines, the Marathon trilogy should work fine on OSX via Aleph One, and older FPSes via gzDoom, eduke32, and the like - although you'll probably have to pass on the high-res texture packs people have made.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Herobotic posted:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is nice, I play the webtiles version during my work breaks.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

VVVVVV played great on my old 2007 base Macbook.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Goddammit here we go again.

I want to play a game like Freelancer but X Rebirth is loving horrendous and Evochron Mercenary is just missing "it". I've been playing Frontier on DOSBOX but I want something a bit newer. Was thinking about Starpoint Gemini 2. Anyone have ideas?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

I want to play a game like Freelancer but X Rebirth is loving horrendous and Evochron Mercenary is just missing "it". I've been playing Frontier on DOSBOX but I want something a bit newer. Was thinking about Starpoint Gemini 2. Anyone have ideas?

Have you played Escape Velocity: Nova?

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.
Thanks! All of those are great suggestions, including a few I've been meaning to play.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
After playing Banished and Tropico 4 to death I'm really keen for more town or city building games of that style. I know the latest SimCity is a total train wreck so what else is out there that I haven't tapped yet?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Fans posted:

After playing Banished and Tropico 4 to death I'm really keen for more town or city building games of that style. I know the latest SimCity is a total train wreck so what else is out there that I haven't tapped yet?

Obvious Anno series and Impressions City-builders too obvious?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Bouchacha posted:

Obvious Anno series and Impressions City-builders too obvious?

I've tried the Anno series but not head of the Impressions City-Builders, I'll give it a look

Edit; Oh it's the Pharoh/Ceasar games! Is there a recommended ones to buy from GoG? Other more modern suggestions would be good too!

Fans fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 27, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fans posted:

I've tried the Anno series but not head of the Impressions City-Builders, I'll give it a look

Edit; Oh it's the Pharoh/Ceasar games! Is there a recommended ones to buy from GoG? Other more modern suggestions would be good too!
Pharoah is the best of the series, other opinions exist but they're wrong.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Fans posted:

The series are very similar in mechanics. The games use a rather annoying "walker" system where the most efficient way to build is to minimize intersections as much as possible. Basically, for a market to check which houses it can serve, it sends a woman to walk along the road and anoints every house it passes with "access". The problem is that if there's an intersection in her path, she may change her mind next month, and therefore those houses may lose access.

Ceasar 3: Pain in the rear end to play nowadays, because the archaic walker system makes even less sense without a roadblock.
Pharoah: Might be my favorite in the series. It's beautiful, and building a pyramid feels appropriately epic. You have to import thousands and thousands of blocks, and the process takes decades (in game time). Still has some annoying crutches, like laying down industrial slum housing to provide "labor access".
Zeus: It almost feels like the series took a "casual" detour because the art style got really cartoony and the mechanics were significantly simplified (greatly streamlined for the better in my opinion). You no longer have to build a shack to act as a satellite for laborer access, and the housing levels and needs are significantly reduced. Your cities are also persistent between missions (thumbs up) and you can summon Greek heroes to deal with Greek monsters (meh). I would pick this as my favorite if it looked more like Pharaoh and didn't have monsters to deal with.
Emperor: Don't know anything about it and it rarely gets talked about, but apparently it's good:

Genpei Turtle posted:

Which is weird because Emperor is really, really good. It's easily my favorite of the Impressions city builders--you don't have to fart around with roadblocks since you can just slap down a town gate and say "This walker is allowed through here and this walker is not." I like Pharaoh too but it's so hard to go back to it and its walker management after playing Emperor.

Here's one of my cities in Pharaoh:

Also, someone actually wrote a 29 page paper explaining the mechanics of Pharaoh's walkers. It shows how absurd the system was: http://people.umass.edu/ssimkins/ambulom2ed.pdf

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 27, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have never heard of any of those games, think it's time to spend money on GOG because that looks super fun.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

There's also a spiritual sequel to Pharaoh called Children of the Nile, made by mostly the same people, which is on Steam.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
Emperor (technically Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, I believe) is worth checking out if you're an Impressions fan or a city builder fan in general. It pulls back from the cartooniness of Zeus, which turned me off, but takes even further steps in making the walker logic make more sense. It keeps the persistent cities, gets away from the colony missions that Zeus had which were kind of boring, has monuments to build (not quite as elaborate as Pharaoh), has a nice broad range of industries, and incidentally teaches you a fair amount about Chinese history, which was not something I was as familiar with, compared to Egyptian and Greek. The Grand Canal and Great Wall monument missions, in having you build a huge monument that spans the whole map, were a particularly nice change.

Basically, the best Impressions game would be Pharaoh with E:ROTMK's walker logic, but since it doesn't exist, trying both of those would be my recommendation.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Lewd Mangabey posted:

Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom

Did GOG ever give a specific reason why this game isn't on their store? I would love to play it based on your description.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Lewd Mangabey posted:

Emperor (technically Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, I believe) is worth checking out if you're an Impressions fan or a city builder fan in general.

It's my wife's favorite game, she's incredible at it. We bought 2 copies of it back in the day.

Such a great game, well worth your time if you are looking for a city builder.

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013

Funkysauce posted:

I'll second prometheusbound2's recommendation for Escape Velocity Nova. It's pretty old, but a fantastic game.

I also had a lot of fun with the x3 games. If you don't fly anything larger than a corvette, it doesn't get too plodding. You can get a jump drive to rapidly move between systems. Larger ships can be run by the AI with guidance from you. Additionally, there are mods that expand on / improve the AI.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Pengu! posted:

Did GOG ever give a specific reason why this game isn't on their store? I would love to play it based on your description.

Interesting, had no idea it wasn't on GOG since I still have my ancient CD.

Only thing I can think of is that Breakaway Games was the developer, presumably licensing the engine from Impressions, who did the other City Builders. But it was still published by Sierra. :shrug:

If I recall correctly, it was on a few bundleware releases at various points, so it might be worth keeping an eye out for some of those. I think the physical copy I have was from a Sierra Citybuilders compilation.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

To further the dungeon crawling chat, I picked up Paper Sorcerer on Steam this weekend and it's amazing for 5 bucks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tagra posted:

To further the dungeon crawling chat, I picked up Paper Sorcerer on Steam this weekend and it's amazing for 5 bucks.

Yeah it's really good, I don't know why I never heard about it, it's a great re-imagining of Wizardry IV with a really nice art style and much more forgiving interface, system than a true grog CRPG. Worth at least $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Any good mech-based and/or mecha games for the PC, apart from the Battlemech/Mechcommander series? I'm suddenly jonesing to have giant robots beat the poo poo out of each other. I don't care if it's anime as gently caress either.