Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Wait what? My Broadsword loses 8 durability (out of 60) after a 20 seconds fight with 3 zombies. I hope either Drangleic finds better blacksmiths or Namco patches this, because it's loving aggravating. Last time it happened to me in another dude's game, right in front of the boss. I don't know who thought this was a brilliant idea, but never nowhere in the history of mankind did swords break after 10 minutes of use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Those Hollows are so nice.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

You have to go a different path to reach that area. The path is somewhere between Pate and the turtle knight. A giant will guide your way.

Is that advice Soulsy enough

Got it, thanks :shobon:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Kawabata posted:

Wait what? My Broadsword loses 8 durability (out of 60) after a 20 seconds fight with 3 zombies. I hope either Drangleic finds better blacksmiths or Namco patches this, because it's loving aggravating. Last time it happened to me in another dude's game, right in front of the boss. I don't know who thought this was a brilliant idea, but never nowhere in the history of mankind did swords break after 10 minutes of use.

It is frustrating initially, but you do get used to it. Also, definitely try to avoid hitting walls or floors; that breaks durability super fast.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Dezztroy posted:

Except that they haven't mentioned VAC anywhere and if this is intentional, it's probably borderline illegal.

People who cheat in Dark Souls should be banned from Dark Souls. That is not the case.

You should read the Steam TOS.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How important are Life Gems at the start? I accidentally used 4-5 of them while trying to "toggle" the options at the first bonfire (HOW? Which key is used for button Y?!)

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Barfing Cumlord posted:

It is frustrating initially, but you do get used to it. Also, definitely try to avoid hitting walls or floors; that breaks durability super fast.

It is frustrating initially because I'll be able to improve durability later, or do I just have to get used to this incomprehensible mechanics? Also, it's almost impossible not to hit walls with a broadsword in tunnels and short spaces. :(

And what about coop? When we kill too many trash monsters I'll have my weapon broken by the time we get to the boss. How incredibly stupid is this. It's mind-boggling.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

God loving drat I cant play at all because the game freezes every time I get attacked and I seem to be only one having this issue :(

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Buck Turgidson posted:

Does it say that getting VAC banned also bans you in games that don't use VAC?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Kawabata posted:

The durability system actually matters now. It does feel annoying at the start, but you can deal with it. I'd recommend picking up a secondary weapon, maybe some ranged option, some consumables, etc.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

PirateBob posted:

How important are Life Gems at the start? I accidentally used 4-5 of them while trying to "toggle" the options at the first bonfire (HOW? Which key is used for button Y?!)

They're somewhat useful to replenish your health but they also replenish it fairly slowly and not a whole lot unless you use the more expensive ones. They are pretty common as drops though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Buck Turgidson posted:

Actually, you should read ToS.
"Excluding the games listed above [that are all Source games], VAC bans will only apply to the game the cheat was detected in. For example, a VAC ban in Modern Warfare 2 will not affect Modern Warfare 3."

So according to Valve's own rules, VAC bans from any other game should not affect Dark Souls in any way.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 25, 2014

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Holy gently caress ring of binding !!

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Dezztroy posted:

Does it say that getting VAC banned also bans you in games that don't use VAC?

Nope it actually says the opposite of that!

They've said on the Steam forums that they are aware of it and working on it.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Actually, Steam's own policies say nobody should be banned from DaSII unless they were cheating in it specifically.

EDIT: oops! Posted the same image as above in the same minute.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Attestant posted:

The durability system actually matters now. It does feel annoying at the start, but you can deal with it. I'd recommend picking up a secondary weapon, maybe some ranged option, some consumables, etc.

Are you telling me I should reinforce more than 1 weapon to have an alternative when the first one breaks? Why is my sword made of iron breaking after 10 minutes, what is going on here. I mean it just looks really really funny and stupid.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Kawabata posted:

Are you telling me I should reinforce more than 1 weapon to have an alternative when the first one breaks? Why is my sword made of iron breaking after 10 minutes, what is going on here. I mean it just looks really really funny and stupid.

Yeah, pretty much. But they didn't give us 6 weapon/shield slots for nothing.

That Guy from Tech
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah I'll fix your computer... After this heroic...

PirateBob posted:

After you get to the second bonfire Forest of the Fallen giants there is a merchant who sells unlimited Life Gems for 300 each. They're nice to have, but you can get more without much of an issue.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Doctor Albatross posted:

Actually, Steam's own policies say nobody should be banned from DaSII unless they were cheating in it specifically.

EDIT: oops! Posted the same image as above in the same minute.

Here are a few choice quotes from, y'know, the subscriber agreement

quote:

Section 10:C “Valve may cancel your Account or any particular Subscription(s) at any time. In the event that your Account or a particular Subscription is terminated or cancelled by Valve for a violation of this Agreement or improper or illegal activity, no refund, including of any Subscription fees, will be granted.”

quote:

You acknowledge and agree that either Valve or any online multiplayer host may refuse to allow you to participate in certain online multiplayer games if you use Cheats in connection with Steam or the Software. Further, you acknowledge and agree that an online multiplayer host may report your use of Cheats to Valve, and Valve may communicate your history of use of Cheats to other online multiplayer hosts. Valve may terminate your Account or a particular Subscription for any conduct or activity that Valve believes is illegal, constitutes a Cheat, or otherwise negatively affects the enjoyment of Steam by other Subscribers

I mean, it's clearly a bug that people are VAC banned from this game, but this is what you agree to when you buy a game. If Valve decided to ban you from playing singleplayer games tomorrow because you cheated in MW2 5 years ago they could.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kawabata posted:

Here's the thing you need to realize: every time your sword whacks a wall or anything but an enemy, it basically loses around 1 unit of durability on lower level/starter stuff. It makes it so that you switch up your tactics when in confined spaces away from weapons with large swing patterns.

rockrobster
Jun 14, 2013
Can anyone confirm that the razer nostromo works properly with this game?

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
drat I'm loving the PC version. Played through it twice on the PS3 and this is the first time I noticed the ladder in the vendor's shop in Majula. The graphical fidelity and lighting is just so much better.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

That Guy from Tech posted:

After you get to the second bonfire Forest of the Fallen giants there is a merchant who sells unlimited Life Gems for 300 each. They're nice to have, but you can get more without much of an issue.

Thanks.

Xbox button Y is default to N on the keyboard, for anyone else wondering...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kawabata posted:

If you want to drag reality into it, think about how long a blade would hold a usable edge while being slammed into the ground, stone walls, and armored enemies. The answer is pretty much no time at all.

Mechanically, all equipment gets a full repair every time you hit a bonfire provided it's not totally broken. Because lifegems now afford you effectively infinite healing, equipment durability is now your new endurance factor between bonfires. Avoid hitting corpses or missing swings/hitting walls a lot and most weapons will last from bonfire to bonfire pretty easily, especially if you're mixing in some ranged combat of some sort on some enemies. The only weapons that have real crippling durability issues are weapons that swing really really fast or the ones that are particularly fragile(katanas), and those can be addressed pretty easily with the weapon durability ring.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer
Is anyone still experiencing the white screen crash when they try to start the game? All the fixes I've seen so far are for a second monitor hookup but nothing about a 1 monitor DVI setup.

That and my Nvidia control panel only lets me select scaling for display, GPU doesn't even appear for me and that seems to be the other fix that I found.

If anyone has any recommendations on what to do I'd appreciate the advice. :)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

scamtank posted:

I was of the opinion that the music is kinda lackluster in this game. Not getting up to the original's level.

Then I ran into the Skeleton Lords.

I keep hearing some melodies from the O&S music everywhere. Maybe I'm going crazy.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I assume you can only do the guard break against dudes with shields, but how do you do it? Playing with KB+M but I have configured the attack buttons to the keyboard so it works somewhat okey...

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
So I'm playing a Sorcerer and got another attunement slot, but I can't assign the same spell to both slots, would buying another scroll(?) of the same spell allow me to fill both attunement slots with the same spell?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Attestant posted:

This is something that cannot happen. Somebody is trolling you with a fake message.

Actual illusory walls don't allow you to place signs on top of them, so that you can always open those.

How on Earth do I activate the Illusion Wall then? There's a message dead center of this wall and I can't for the life of me interact with the wall at all. I can actually attack through wall where I am meant to interact but it just says "Read message" and nothing else.

EDIT: I'm an idiot nevermind. :downs:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

lordfrikk posted:

So I'm playing a Sorcerer and got another attunement slot, but I can't assign the same spell to both slots, would buying another scroll(?) of the same spell allow me to fill both attunement slots with the same spell?

Yes. You can't attune a spell more than once, if you don't have more than one scroll.

Spudd posted:

How on Earth do I activate the Illusion Wall then? There's a message dead center of this wall and I can't for the life of me interact with the wall at all. I can actually attack through wall where I am meant to interact but it just says "Read message" and nothing else.

There is no illusory wall there. You are getting trolled by a lying message. :haw:

Attestant fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 25, 2014

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Spudd posted:

Consider that someone might be loving with you.

Laughing Zealot posted:

I assume you can only do the guard break against dudes with shields, but how do you do it? Playing with KB+M but I have configured the attack buttons to the keyboard so it works somewhat okey...
Controller has it being as forward+light attack at the same time.

That Guy from Tech
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah I'll fix your computer... After this heroic...

PirateBob posted:

Thanks.

Xbox button Y is default to N on the keyboard, for anyone else wondering...

She has a few other interactions too. Exhaust her dialog to get her to move to Majula(Unlimitted Life Gems in the hub!!) and she'll also sell the key to the blacksmith's shop

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So the second half of my night went alot better than the first. But I have more questions and some concerns:

1. Holy loving poo poo I went out of my way to what I thought at the time was completely exploring Majula because I had always been told that that's what you do in DS games, but I totally whiffed on the Emerald Herald. I'm completely convinced that my first attempt would have gone better if I'd just talked to her before moving on. Also, I totally believe that I saw her initially but since her back was to me I thought she was a rock or something (idk).

2. Thankfully after missing the above I decided to have a friendly white phantom help me out through the area. I think it saved me from just saying gently caress this game and quitting for a while. I had no health restore items, my health had the full 50% penalty, my stupid broken sword was really broken (and I found out what that means so I'll never break a weapon again), I had missed the first bonfire in the giants area so everytime I died (and it was often) I had to run all the way loving back from majula. I was a train wreck my first two/three hours playing this game.

But, lo, behold, white text on the ground. And it was a sign unto me that I should summon a friendly white bro to help me get back on my feet. When I logged off I had opened the blacksmith, had my estus flask, cleared the area around the second giants bonfire and had a genuinely good time.

The best part was the ballista trap room right outside of where Pate sits. I didn't know what I was doing and I armed and shot the ballista by accident and I watched as my white bro went flying.

Now my question is, can someone explain the mechanics behind becomming a white bro myself. So I have to get this white soapstone thing, but there are two different kinds or something. What's the difference? Are they consumed on use? It took me a while to figure out how to make my white sunbro leave my game. How do you set it up so that I can join someone specific if I were to have a friend get this game?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Putting down this sign early on was the best decision I ever made. Holy poo poo does that healing add up.

Ice Fist posted:

Now my question is, can someone explain the mechanics behind becomming a white bro myself. So I have to get this white soapstone thing, but there are two different kinds or something. What's the difference? Are they consumed on use? It took me a while to figure out how to make my white sunbro leave my game. How do you set it up so that I can join someone specific if I were to have a friend get this game?

They are not consumed on use. The different sizes give different rewards on a successful boss kill(? maybe not for small one, i dunno, i never used it), and the small one is effectively limited duration; once someone summoned with a small sign does a certain amount of damage, they're kicked out.

As far as I know, you can't just summon someone specific; you/they just have to put down a sign in the right place and hit it before someone else does.

An Actual Princess fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 25, 2014

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I am absolutely floored how superior the PC version is to the console (PS3 in my experience) version. The graphics are one thing, but the load times are INCREDIBLE. Where bonfire warps used to take 15-20 seconds, it's now cut down to 3-4 seconds. Not to mention getting summoned is near instantaeous. Loving it.

Also I'm constantly amazed at how much stuff I missed the first time around on these games. So many secrets, even in plain sight.

ElephantCrave
Jan 28, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

Here's the thing you need to realize: every time your sword whacks a wall or anything but an enemy, it basically loses around 1 unit of durability on lower level/starter stuff. It makes it so that you switch up your tactics when in confined spaces away from weapons with large swing patterns.

My scimitar is now down to 3 durability after going mad and killing skellies. I now change to a tiny shield every time I'm in a corridor instead of wielding 2 swords and jumping about like a maniac.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Ice Fist posted:

Difference in in rewards and duration. The large one lasts a longer and gives out a co-op oriented healing item. The small one lasts a shorter time, and gives out smooth and shiny stones you can gamble for items. Also succesfully killing a boss or running out of duration will restore you back to human. Neither is consumed on use.

Don't kick your summons out if they aren't being shitheads. You're denying them rewards for helping you. :(

If you want to co-op with a friend, you need to have similar Soul Memory (visible on stats page). The cat in Majula also sells a ring (Name Engraved Ring), that makes it more likely to see the signs of a player using the same ring, if you pick the same engraved name.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Don't suppose anyone else who had the crash on desktop bug can share their secret of how they got it to work? I've tried the stuff on the Steam forums and still no luck.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Attestant posted:

Don't kick your summons out if they aren't being shitheads. You're denying them rewards for helping you. :(

I did not know this and now I feel horrible considering how much that guy helped me. :ohdear:

That sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

"I wonder what this Pursuer thing is that keeps getting mentioned... oh hey let's see what's behind this fog gate"

:kheldragar: