Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Edit: nevermind, I probably shouldn't contribute to the Swarm

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
I'll try not to swarm.

But I will say this y'all: Ludum Dare is tomorrow! Grab Game Maker or Construct or Stencyl or anything and make a thing in 48 hours, you'll thank me later. Making art is fun, making games is loving AMAZING. I promise.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Aw man. I always work the weekend jams are on.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Chipp Zanuff posted:

My stuff isn't good enough quality to be used in games. I'm just interested in pixel-art and happen to dabble in it.

Attention people afraid their stuff isn't good enough for a "real" game. This is an example of pixel-art in my mobile game that garnered 30k downloads in little over a month as well as someone thinking the game is work 1k to buy off me. If you can do this or better, congrats you are ready for real games!

I've been practicing and getting a lot of guidance from others and here's where I am now with my pixel slinging skill. Progress!

Sagacity posted:

Ha, awesome. Is this then the right thread to mention that I'm a programmer looking for a pixel artist to work on small/fun little games? :)

This is me except I do profit share for my small/fun games which scares people away; however, I have a track record of Getting poo poo Done®. The only reason my developer art looks half decent is because I don't have a choice but learn. If anyone does the arts in the same style as Scut and Paul Veer (http://superpietepiet.tumblr.com/) and wants to talk, please dog pile on me.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Sagacity posted:

I'm curious: How many of you are actually working on games? Or are you just doing this for shits'n'giggles?

Not my full time job but we're serious about it http://ghostcrabgames.com/

e: whops this is the pixel art thread. pretend i'm FuriousGrey and he posted here instead

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Wow, didn't realize so many people here were busy with hell-driving and scissor-running :D

Btw, talking about Pietepiet: He lives in Utrecht, just like me. We actually have a great indie game scene here, with Ronimo, Vlambeer and a bunch of others. I probably should get myself invited to one of those Dutch Game Garden lunches, somehow.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Sagacity posted:

Wow, didn't realize so many people here were busy with hell-driving and scissor-running :D

Btw, talking about Pietepiet: He lives in Utrecht, just like me. We actually have a great indie game scene here, with Ronimo, Vlambeer and a bunch of others. I probably should get myself invited to one of those Dutch Game Garden lunches, somehow.

Uhhhhh hell yah. There's some serious talent in Netherlands. High five JW for me if you ever see him.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Expanded CGA-esque palette! I'm thinking I need to add that revolting magenta or something like it for added authenticity.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

More Cybershark! :krakken:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Don't care if it's a placeholder, I love that arm.

vvv Updated Coilhead-guy sprite vvv

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Thanks! I'm really happy with how he's turning out so far. Hopefully I can have him running around in something soon.

My background is lacking some depth at the moment. And I hate the colours but ill work it out!

Edit: Fart

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 26, 2014

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Starting to toy around with some UI mockups. Not even sure which direction I want to take this anymore, but I'm thinking a lite RPG that's based off of an action bar.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Another update, changed the chest of all characters, updated some characters, changed the plate armour, hopefully it looks like plate armour.

Not sure if it's an improvement.

Plate armor dude should have lines only at the joints where the plates fit together, I'd say. Maybe you could get away with a decorative thing on the breastplate though. It will read better as a metallic surface if you use higher-contrast values and more restricted highlights but it doesn't look bad now.

By the way your stuff is absolutely good enough for games. Don't feel like you have to be super ultra proficient before you have something to offer. I mean they look like they're designed with a game in mind, so why not just make that game?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

swamp waste posted:

Plate armor dude should have lines only at the joints where the plates fit together, I'd say. Maybe you could get away with a decorative thing on the breastplate though. It will read better as a metallic surface if you use higher-contrast values and more restricted highlights but it doesn't look bad now.

By the way your stuff is absolutely good enough for games. Don't feel like you have to be super ultra proficient before you have something to offer. I mean they look like they're designed with a game in mind, so why not just make that game?

Thanks, i appreciate what you said. I guess it's more a case of that i don't personally feel that i am good enough to go the next step yet. Whilst they may be of good quality, im not sure if i could consistantly put out stuff like that on a deadline.

You're right about the intent i designed them with; i was thinking of hypothetically making a tactical turn-based rpg with elements of Shining force and FF: Tactics and Tactics Advance (1&2). That was the whole impetus for making these to be honest.

I've still got the smaller sprites, so i could maybe use them on the map and then use the bigger, more detailed one during battle scenes (like Shining force did).

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Even more bloody Cybershark!

I finally got to mess about with GameMaker, so I remade this gif in it. The road was moving too fast for Gooncam, ooops!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Just a quick update:

Finally finished those characters, may create more but for now they're done at least:

I also went back to one of my older works and re-did it, applying what i've learnt so far:

Original here for context:

Upped the contrast, reduced banding and colours that i didn't really need, tried to make it more faithful to the original artwork and decreased some of the AA since there was too much.

Also started on another pokemon, Parasect:

It'll need to be edited some more, since i've spotted quite a few problems, but it shouldn't take too long.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I've nearly got his run loop done too!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Shoehead posted:

I've nearly got his run loop done too!

if that's a punch, I'd move the inactive arm/upper torso back while the arm moves forward. looks nice though :)

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 28, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
You mean like a twist?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Shoehead posted:

You mean like a twist?

yeah, maybe only slightly. like this:

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Here's the result of my exhaustive attempt at making a 3-frame attack animation. I'm not sure about the animation itself, but I'm quite happy with the frames.

]

[Edit] I know there's some artifacts with the transparency. I still need to do a polish pass.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 29, 2014

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Baldbeard I sincerely love the hell out of your whole style / vibe / atmosphere. Never stop.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Have you considered playing with animation smears? I find that even when you've only got two or three to frames it really helps sell the movement.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

the chaos engine posted:

Baldbeard I sincerely love the hell out of your whole style / vibe / atmosphere. Never stop.

Haha thanks so much!

Re: smears. I'll have to google it after work. Is that like a blurry frame between 2 frames? I just tried have the frames fade out of each other a little so it wasn't so chunky.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Your art is excellent! I think this is an interesting alternative to lots of laboured frames. Has a more storybook quality.

I think the 'smears' that Onion Knight suggested are a good idea. Also the third frame feels much too far forward and rises up a bit too much. My eye loses track of the figure.

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet

I did this in statistics class a few years ago. Came across the picture today and thought you guys might like it.

thumbnailed for NSFW

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

You made my day.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

GirlBones posted:

I did this in statistics class a few years ago. Came across the picture today and thought you guys might like it.

thumbnailed for NSFW
Haha awesome.

I think I'm going to stick to 3 frames max and just toy around with timing/effects to get the look I want. I added a "got hit" animation to my hero, and threw in a mob and place holder slash effect just for reference. I'm figuring my hero(s) will probably get a lot more love in the animation department than enemies. I will probably cheese enemy got hit animations by just having them flash white and/or scoot back.

Edit: I should be studying for an exam right now. I think that's why I'm so motivated to goof around with this stuff. Blacksmith rework:

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 30, 2014

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Trying to make a bigger version of those characters i did before:

Not sure about reportions.

Baldbeard; your stuff looks really good, good character design

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Baldbeard posted:

Haha awesome.

I think I'm going to stick to 3 frames max and just toy around with timing/effects to get the look I want. I added a "got hit" animation to my hero, and threw in a mob and place holder slash effect just for reference. I'm figuring my hero(s) will probably get a lot more love in the animation department than enemies. I will probably cheese enemy got hit animations by just having them flash white and/or scoot back.

Looks pretty cool, reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY3QEyyc23k&t=140s

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Broke my punch animation but in the meantime there's this.

i think I need more neon lights. Possible neon sharks?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You need a sexy babe shark neon light for the XXX club there.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Travis343 posted:

You need a sexy babe shark neon light for the XXX club there.

GIRLS
GIRLS
FISH

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Broke my punch animation but in the meantime there's this.

i think I need more neon lights. Possible neon sharks?

I love everything about this project that you're doing.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ok before I collapse into bed!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Shoehead posted:

Ok before I collapse into bed!

much better!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Hopefully proportions look better now:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Hopefully proportions look better now:

These are lookin' good, I know I say this to everyone but your colours are really vibrant.

I took the day off yesterday to put up walls with my dad and sew patches on my jacket but today I got some stuff done with the sprite.

All I need for him now is a death animation, a block and a walk!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I kinda feel like he should be able to swim (in the city's disgusting canals) too

but then I kinda feel like he shouldn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

Shoehead posted:

These are lookin' good, I know I say this to everyone but your colours are really vibrant.

I took the day off yesterday to put up walls with my dad and sew patches on my jacket but today I got some stuff done with the sprite.

All I need for him now is a death animation, a block and a walk!

Words cannot express how much I love this.