Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

New RS is weird and different and I don't like or understand it.

Have fun wallowing in the mediocrity that is a game that looks (and plays) like it should be from the mid 90s when it was made in goddamn 2007.
EDIT: I seriously do not miss walk-scape. That poo poo was boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Old RS has now become weird and new and confusing. :colbert:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

How Rude posted:

Have fun wallowing in the mediocrity that is a game that looks (and plays) like it should be from the mid 90s when it was made in goddamn 2007.
EDIT: I seriously do not miss walk-scape. That poo poo was boring.

New RS hardly looks like a modern game itself, and between magic and my jewellery I can tp where ever I want :colbert:

I find it fun.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

between magic and my jewellery I can tp where ever I want :colbert:

Except to the arms of a woman :rip:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

:drat:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Wherever I am in Runescape I'm with a sexy woman.

:spergin:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
So uh, 'runescape roadtrip' thing is happening in May. It's a limited time task set, you do one a day. But if you find a JMod they can tick off an addition one for you? For doing 30, you get a pet monkey. I assume this is different than the summoning one, and is more one for the pet interface thing.

But that's not the important bit. Bonus weekends are.

3rd & 4th of May: Slayer Weekend
Double slayer points,
50% more slayer xp
Improved drop tables
Additional charm drops
Ring of wealth has 'increased benefits'

10th & 11th: Skiller Weekend
Artisan's Workshop gets double xp and rep
Runespan gets more points and nodes are more persistent.
Pyramid Plunder gets increased chances at Black Ibis gear, 'scepter parts' (I thought you got the whole thing?), and jeweled relics
Divination enriched nodes are every 10 minutes
Divination/fishing/woodcutting/mining resource spots last longer and regen faster
Big Chinchompa 50% more xp

17th & 18th Minigame weekend
Castle Wars games get extra tickets
Stealing Creation, Pest Control, Conquest, and Soul Wars get double points
Dominion Tower bosses count for double the kills
Basically making rewards not suck as much.

17th to the end of the month: Ports bonus!
30% more trade goods and resources.
Plus extra voyages every day.

26th of May to 1st of June: Dungeoneering Week (In conjunction with the Ninja team, so it's gonna be the extra rewards being put in as well?)
Double tokens from floors and sinkholes
Sinkholes get 50% more xp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in92KPYvoXQ

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Eugh Underground pass is even worse than Olaf's quest. This sucks.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Gonna :spergin: the hell out of the first two weekends.

Dungoneering weekend will be a great way to get some of our low-level dung goons to Chaotics. I expect World 134 will have trouble staying online during that time.

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 26, 2014

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Underground pass is great and I will not allow you to defile the good quest with a unicorn murder cutscene. :colbert:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The 2 seconds of "haha get owned" is not equal to the time spent falling off bridges. gently caress artificial quest lengtheners.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
So basically May is "here are all of the things that we should make permanent, tantalizingly held in front of you for brief moments ere they fade." Especially that skiller weekend.

I'll miss Slayer weekend, but you can bet your rear end we're gonna be busy that dung weekend.

In other news, I'm bringing back Dead Content Field Trips. First one will be this Tuesday night at 8 PM EST (right after reset), during which we'll travel to the Ranging Guild and then take a tour of the Temple of Ivko. They're usually 15-30 minutes, and a lot of fun seeing stuff we might not have seen in years, so I hope lots of people come.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Kgummy posted:

3rd & 4th of May: Slayer Weekend
Double slayer points,
50% more slayer xp
Improved drop tables
Additional charm drops
Ring of wealth has 'increased benefits'

10th & 11th: Skiller Weekend
Artisan's Workshop gets double xp and rep
Runespan gets more points and nodes are more persistent.
Pyramid Plunder gets increased chances at Black Ibis gear, 'scepter parts' (I thought you got the whole thing?), and jeweled relics
Divination enriched nodes are every 10 minutes
Divination/fishing/woodcutting/mining resource spots last longer and regen faster
Big Chinchompa 50% more xp

17th & 18th Minigame weekend
Castle Wars games get extra tickets
Stealing Creation, Pest Control, Conquest, and Soul Wars get double points
Dominion Tower bosses count for double the kills
Basically making rewards not suck as much.

17th to the end of the month: Ports bonus!
30% more trade goods and resources.
Plus extra voyages every day.

26th of May to 1st of June: Dungeoneering Week (In conjunction with the Ninja team, so it's gonna be the extra rewards being put in as well?)

This all looks great. :allears: Seriously, there's a little something each weekend. Also will do more dungeoneering that week so goons can help me finally catch up to current post-EoC/post-improvement content.

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Kgummy posted:

Time to get rich(er) selling floors and getting to charge absurd rates that pubies will actually pay.

Just lined up 7M/Warp, let the pubie talk me down from 8.5 :getin:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I did Underground Pass in Classic and it destroyed my life. I feel the repercussions to this day.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

In other OldScape news that only Saucy Bratwurst and I care about, the Summer BTS for OldSchool RuneScape has been posted on the forums.

Notable planned content includes:
  • Bank Tabs (Coming in a week or two)
  • Clan Wars
  • Clue scroll expansion which will offer new clues, puzzles and rewards
  • New trade solution, presumably somewhere between @CYA@SELLING LAWS 500 EA!!! and the Grand Exchange, most likely a auction board system
  • An original player-designed skill (not sailing)
  • A new continent & "uber quest" doubling the size of the map
  • Goblin Invasion (this was an event from last year too)
  • Introduction of the publicly elected Player Council
  • The return of Bounty Hunter, to be implemented alongside regular PKing
Most of the ramblings about the proposed updates are markedly negative about the Player Council, and I suspect it'll be shuffled off to the side.

The OldSchool team has also hired a new graphic designer/artist, Mod Alfred to the team. There's also been mention on the OSRS moderators' twitter accounts of work being done to build a model conversion tool to strip 3D assets from RS3 to a format compatible with OldSchool's engine, giving Mod Alfred and the rest of the team more flexibility to use existing content.

At Kgummy's request, here's a link to the OldSchool Runescape Update Archive.
OSRS-unique content begins around August 2013 with the first Goblin Raid and Nightmare Zone minigame launches.

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 26, 2014

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I'm not sure I understand the point of having an authentic 2007 RS experience if you're going to make brand new content for it. Smaller updates designed to improve or streamline basic gameplay I can understand, but if you're adding new skills, quests, lands and training areas somewhere it stops being this time capsule and starts being a different, uglier version of the main game.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Simsmagic posted:

I'm not sure I understand the point of having an authentic 2007 RS experience if you're going to make brand new content for it. Smaller updates designed to improve or streamline basic gameplay I can understand, but if you're adding new skills, quests, lands and training areas somewhere it stops being this time capsule and starts being a different, uglier version of the main game.

There's been a lot of players complaining about the loss of the "authentic 2007 feel" over the last year. I get the impression OldSchool was never intended to be a throwback server like the RuneScape Classic servers.

As much as Mods Ash, Reach, and the other OSRS team members would deny it, I suspect there was a rift forming between the senior developers and the new bronymods and their respective design philosophies. OldSchool feels like it was the company's way of dumping Mod Ash et al to the side. In true Jagex fashion, this kind of blew up in the company's face given that OSRS didn't promptly die off like Classic, instead managing to grow and retain 1/3-1/2 of online users despite lacking a F2P component. With a crew of five developers.

Like Eikre said on the last page, it's pretty hilarious that Jagex managed to branch off their game in two directions, and I'm willing to bet opening up F2P servers would make OldSchool's player base match that of RS3. Again, with a crew of five developers.

By comparison, RS3 has ~80 active development team members, though it's a given that the main game has a more complex engine and higher graphic/sound development standards.

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 26, 2014

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Honestly, the only thing keeping me from playing OSRS more is a lack of proper integration of the clan chat system. Trying to poopsock without Goonscape to talk poo poo to is so tedious and grating that I wonder how I've managed to do it for years.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Simsmagic posted:

Honestly, the only thing keeping me from playing OSRS more is a lack of proper integration of the clan chat system. Trying to poopsock without Goonscape to talk poo poo to is so tedious and grating that I wonder how I've managed to do it for years.

Dawww. :glomp:

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Agreed right there, I wish they would figure out how to merge the chat systems like they did for FunOrb years ago so we could embrace our cross-generational poopsocking together.

stop tearing us apart Jagex!! :qq:

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Soulhunter posted:

There's been a lot of players complaining about the loss of the "authentic 2007 feel" over the last year. I get the impression OldSchool was never intended to be a throwback server like the RuneScape Classic servers.

As much as Mods Ash, Reach, and the other OSRS team members would deny it, I suspect there was a rift forming between the senior developers and the new bronymods and their respective design philosophies. OldSchool feels like it was the company's way of dumping Mod Ash et al to the side. In true Jagex fashion, this kind of blew up in the company's face given that OSRS didn't promptly die off like Classic, instead managing to grow and retain 1/3-1/2 of online users despite lacking a F2P component. With a crew of five developers.

Like Eikre said on the last page, it's pretty hilarious that Jagex managed to branch off their game in two directions, and I'm willing to bet opening up F2P servers would make OldSchool's player base match that of RS3. Again, with a crew of five developers.

By comparison, RS3 has ~80 active development team members, though it's a given that the main game has a more complex engine and higher graphic/sound development standards.

So I guess all that's left is determining when we migrate to OSRS. :frogbon:

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Doing a solid and posting for Lebron who is so poor he doesn't have :10bux: but would like money for his capped citadel effort.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
OSRS has been so on point with its content its insane. 5 developers and they double the size of the game world while making genuinely good updates. Meanwhile in new RS we get the brony mod making GBS threads on everything and NEW AT SOLOMON'S GENERAL STORE

edit: Holy poo poo lol they're even finishing up the Elf city too. You know, that thing the 80 man team has been promising to do for months (years?)

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 27, 2014

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Average Bear posted:

OSRS has been so on point with its content its insane. 5 developers and they double the size of the game world while making genuinely good updates. Meanwhile in new RS we get the brony mod making GBS threads on everything and NEW AT SOLOMON'S GENERAL STORE

edit: Holy poo poo lol they're even finishing up the Elf city too. You know, that thing the 80 man team has been promising to do for months (years?)

Please, the release of elf city in 2005 late 2012 early 2013 summer 2014 will be good and not delayed at all.

It feels like 07 is working like it should and like old RS did with smaller dev teams that could keep development steady and consistant. Also I think the 07 team doesn't buy tanks for meeting and rent castles and have to make a dozen garbage youtube videos every month.

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 27, 2014

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Average Bear posted:

OSRS has been so on point with its content its insane.

Aren't most of the recent updates just repackaged items from SuperiorRS? :raise:

e:

Blacula posted:

Doing a solid and posting for Lebron who is so poor he doesn't have :10bux: but would like money for his capped citadel effort.

Kick all poors.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 27, 2014

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Aren't most of the recent updates just repackaged items from SuperiorRS? :raise:

Every update on OSRS has to pass a poll with a supermajority (75%+) approval rating, and generally the community shoots down poorly balanced items or ideas stripped directly from RS3.

That said, Nightmare Zone is a stripped-down OSRS version of the Dominion Tower (but with slayer helm upgrades and ring imbues from Mobilizing Armies as rewards) and there are some similar updates here and there. In recent updates, there's actually been a few OSRS-unique content updates that were later added to RS3, slayer gems being merged with slayer masks for example.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Average Bear posted:

OSRS has been so on point with its content its insane. 5 developers and they double the size of the game world while making genuinely good updates.

Now make it not be ugly as gently caress :colbert:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
The update for the 'master skillcapes' and pvp combat xp are in.

The patch notes are kind of slim as well. But hey, the profanity filter showing as 'on' after logging with it turned off has finally been fixed.

Oh and a bug I reported recently got handled:

quote:

The Bird and the Beast score interface has been removed from several tiles in Draynor.

Now if only they would fix the other bugs I report. Like Sin Seer. Or the freaking bug report bugs.

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
Weren't we supposed to get divination familiars in April?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
They said April/May, so they're still 'on track'.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
I'm still waiting on them to fix the drat minimap which has been broken since Heist. I like that they can fix things totally inconsequential to gameplay (an extra space in dialogue box 5,291 has been removed!!!!) but poo poo that actually makes playing the game awareness that you're only doing this because you hate yourself stays. Excited for new and awful bugs come May.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
So I finished Birthright of Dwarves quest. And this happened.

I can't move.
Edit: Quick and dirty gif:

Kgummy fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 28, 2014

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I'm not sure what's wrong with this image.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
The new Sin Seer.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Simsmagic posted:

I'm not sure what's wrong with this image.

No "Hubba Hubba" text anywhere on it.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

I want to buy this in Solomon's store as a general skilling animation.

"Stomach Piston Mining/Woodcutting/Smithing"

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Kgummy posted:

Edit: Quick and dirty gif:

The new Silent Hill is shaping up to be a monster.

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Kgummy posted:

Like Sin Seer.

You've only been a horribly distorted and pixelated mess for 8 months sin seer, just hang on a little bit longer and jagex will save you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Spergminer posted:

The new Silent Hill is shaping up to be a monster.

Scrolled down to make this joke

• Locked thread