Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Re: Tiger

You should be ashamed of yourself, this is the real issue

The picture was clearly trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
One thing I don't understand: wouldn't concealed carry be higher than open carry on the list of "planes of gun ownership utopia"?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

One thing I don't understand: wouldn't concealed carry be higher than open carry on the list of "planes of gun ownership utopia"?

Yeah I don't get it. In most places open carry was always legal. Except I do get it, because these guys want to conflate their fetish with human rights or something, they want it to be wrong for you not to love it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

I don't know for sure, but I imagine that probably way more people support concealed carry rather than open carry. Open carry people really start to get into the psychological dynamic of guns, where guns have an innate totemic ability to convey power onto their owner and are more potent as symbols rather than any kind of practical tool.

We saw some guys like this from the window of my office in downtown Austin. There were these cops talking to this group of five or six guys carrying assault rifles and our first reaction wasn't "holy hell there's going to be a shootout" it was "oh look it's a bunch of gun nuts making a political statement." Sure enough, the next day there was an article in the paper about it. The thing is in Texas you are allowed to open carry any kind of long gun so they weren't breaking the law or anything, just making a whole shitload of people uncomfortable.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 25, 2014

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Concealed carry doesn't let you make Youtube videos about your police encounters.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What's the point of carrying a gun but not intimidating everyone around you?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Or threaten women that you disagree with.

Open carry is pretty much exclusively for the dregs of 'gun culture'.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Mornacale posted:

Yeah. There are a ton of white people who have simply never been called out on their racism, and thus don't even realize it when they're saying something unacceptable. On a recent visit home, my step-father was explaining how he's not going to let political correctness keep him from poking fun at people, like for instance having a laugh with "orientals" about their slanted eyes. I can only imagine Asian dudes laughing uncomfortably because it wouldn't go well for them to punch his lights out. I've also sat in the living room of a family friend while she explained that she wasn't racist, she just couldn't respect Those People who burned down Their neighborhoods in race riots in Pittsburgh.

From last page, but I'd wager "having never been called out on their racism" also something that just generally occurs with a lot of rich, privileged people as well. It wasn't very long ago that I was arguing with a rich Asian guy at Dartmouth (who managed to do two study abroads, mind you) who was like "How is that racist" when I said "you know, your comments that black people need to 'change their culture' are pretty racist" and tried justifying it with anecdotes from Nicki Minaj on twitter talking about "white-shaming of high-achieving black pupils by their peers in predominantly black schools" and saying "NO MORE WHITE-SHAMING".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Women :argh:

quote:

During a sermon on the Book of Peter delivered at the Christ Church of the Carolinas, Bowers said it was an “abominable idolatry” when wives love their children more than their husbands, arguing that’s what causes divorces most of the time. He added that in the “vast preponderance” of situations where men are adulterous, women are to blame because they have showered too much emotion on their children instead of their husbands.

“And yet, I find that in about 95 percent of broken marriages, though the husband’s the one that ran out on his wife, the wife loves her children more than she does her husband,” Bowers said in an audio recording obtained by POLITICO. “That is an abominable idolatry.

Bowers added, his voice rising: “Do you hear me ladies? It is an abominable idolatry to love your children more than you love your husband, and it will ruin your marriage. And yet you blame it on him because he ran off with some other woman! He did run off with some other woman, and you packed his bags. All of his emotional bags, you packed for him. Is that true in every case? No, but it’s true in the vast preponderance of them.
“You just ran him off. You paid more attention to your children than you did to him,” he said. “‘Oh, he doesn’t need me?’ He needs you more than they do. He chose you, they didn’t. An abominable idolatry.”

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

From last page, but I'd wager "having never been called out on their racism" also something that just generally occurs with a lot of rich, privileged people as well. It wasn't very long ago that I was arguing with a rich Asian guy at Dartmouth (who managed to do two study abroads, mind you) who was like "How is that racist" when I said "you know, your comments that black people need to 'change their culture' are pretty racist" and tried justifying it with anecdotes from Nicki Minaj on twitter talking about "white-shaming of high-achieving black pupils by their peers in predominantly black schools" and saying "NO MORE WHITE-SHAMING".

A lot of Asian culture (specifically Chinese/Korean/Japanese) is built on light skin being more appealing though, so it's not just "I've never been called out on my racism" as "the culture I come from specifically promotes my racism".

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ReidRansom posted:

I don't recall who it was that was saying it, but they've stopped thinking of firearms as tools and have started treating them like totems. Less and less about defense or freedom or even offense or whatever other actual use and more about projecting some ridiculous image they've gotten in their heads.

I mentioned something about that, having grown up on a farm with guns being an important tool, in a previous politics thread but I know I'm not the only one who has made that comparison.

haveblue posted:

What's the point of carrying a gun but not intimidating everyone around you?

In this case there is also a large rather juvenile element of wanting to do something just because they were told they are not allowed to. In Texas open-carrying carrying long guns is A-OK but open carrying handguns is not.

This group of chucklefucks has been wandering the state trying to gin up support so they can cosplay as Texas Rangers or some poo poo. They do things like stand on bridges over busy roads in Austin and cause traffic to slow down because of all the people rubbernecking at the dumbasses with the guns and sign. Really nobody cares because concealed carry permits are cheap and easy to get. It only becomes an issue in the current "I'm the most conservative conservative that ever conserved" GOP primary environment we have now.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

For context, this guy is challenging Lindsay Graham in the primary. Any word on how he's doing? Because if he got nominated-- or even elected-- he would be a gold mine for Dems for years and years and years.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus
I just want to pop in here and point out that there's a very specific language that needs to be stamped out regarding American race and gender relations.

Someone is not a racist. That person is racist. The things they said were racist. But those people generally support policies that are racist. It's a minor but important distinction. It isolates racism to an individual and a specific set of explicit beliefs while ignoring the racially biased outcomes of their beliefs that may not be as explicit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teddybear posted:

For context, this guy is challenging Lindsay Graham in the primary. Any word on how he's doing? Because if he got nominated-- or even elected-- he would be a gold mine for Dems for years and years and years.

Oh Graham is crushing them by like 30 points.

Great_Gerbil posted:

I just want to pop in here and point out that there's a very specific language that needs to be stamped out regarding American race and gender relations.

Someone is not a racist. That person is racist. The things they said were racist. But those people generally support policies that are racist. It's a minor but important distinction. It isolates racism to an individual and a specific set of explicit beliefs while ignoring the racially biased outcomes of their beliefs that may not be as explicit.

Whoa dude take your definite articleism to Freep!

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I was arguing with a rich Asian guy at Dartmouth . . . who was like "How is that racist" when I said "you know, your comments that black people need to 'change their culture' are pretty racist"...

rac·ism [rey-siz-uhm]
noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

That. That is how it is racist. I feel like it might be worth my time to memorize this definition for whenever this debate inevitably pops up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

Oh Graham is crushing them by like 30 points.

Everyone in SC knows he's gay and he's still going to cruise to a win because of how crazy they are.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Great_Gerbil posted:

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_8E3ENrKrQ

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

radical meme posted:

“We are trying to make it as normal as possible for people to see a gun like a fashion accessory,” said Kory Watkins, an Open Carry Tarrant County representative. “That is the way it should be. This is America.”

This is an insidious problem with all this pushing for unlimited open carry. Absolutely seeing more and more people out brandishing guns, within easy reach, is going to make normal people feel really unsafe on the street. Even if I got a gun to carry back, that doesn't solve poo poo because I don't have any delusions that I'll be able to shoot someone else before he shoots me.

But you can't tell a guy carrying a gun on the street or in the bar or in the supermarket that he makes you feel uncomfortable. You can't tell him he's a thug jackass. Maybe you can't even tell him "hey buddy, you cut me in line, wait your turn." You know why? because he has a gun and he could easily shoot you

It's just more white guys who want unlimited power over everything they survey, and gently caress how the rest of society feels about anything. The threat of death to silence anyone who criticizes you on it.

(And if I'm a black kid I don't even have the small comfort of knowing that he'll be prosecuted and punished for shooting me dead.)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So the cat is in the process of coming out of the bag: racism wasn't eradicated with the civil rights act (yeah I know duh). A large part of this country is racist, a portion of that to the extent where they feel slavery was preferable to how we live today. So the question is how do we as a country deal with this? Most of the white people in this country want to believe we live in a merit based society where race isn't a factor and bury their heads in the sand when prevented with the reality that isn't the case. What seems like a growing minority actively wants to return to a pre-civil rights America where racial minorities are legally a lower class of citizen (if even a citizen at all). Where do we go with that? We aren't going to change the minds of the Clive Bundies of the world and trying to make their opinions socially repellent has only created bubbles where they feel resentful and fester with each other in their disgusting beliefs. We have a SCOTUS that goes out of its way to roll back civil rights victories and politicians that every day feel more and more comfortable letting the dog whistling slip into straight whistling. I'm not sure how we combat this since even regular white people that aren't massively racist become incredibly defensive when anything that infers white privilege is a thing is mentioned. There's no real discussion on this topic except when a Bundy type lets loose a tirade and everyone acts shocked like it's never happened or that he's a one in a million type or makes excuses for him.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 25, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Obama 2012 posted:

rac·ism [rey-siz-uhm]
noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

That. That is how it is racist. I feel like it might be worth my time to memorize this definition for whenever this debate inevitably pops up.

"B-but Nicki Minaj said it's true! WHITE-SHAMING" :qq:

And on another note, I still remember how a Rand Paul supporter from some lily-white part of Pittsburgh kept pestering me with the "NO WHERE ARE YOU REALLY FROM" canard. Gee, whodathunk!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Personally I can't wait until the first unintentional gun massacre where a backfiring car causes everyone in the vicinity to just start blindly shooting like the untrained civilians they are.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Radbot posted:

Personally I can't wait until the first unintentional gun massacre where a backfiring car causes everyone in the vicinity to just start blindly shooting like the untrained civilians they are.

I really don't think that would happen unless they removed the permit requirements on Open Carry. They're usually pretty docile when it comes to potentially losing "the precious" over an altercation.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

radical meme posted:

I never watch local news so unless something hits national or at least statewide level of news I often miss it but I stumbled on this little gem from April 7. Gun-rights group sets sights on Arlington ordinance which covers a group named Open Carry Texas, the first I'd heard of them but, I'm sure not the last.

I'm sure they don't want to know that what would make me feel comfortable is not seeing some fat redneck rear end in a top hat carrying an AR-15 in public. Who in their right mind would associate a gun with a fashion accessory?

See my earlier post about a ritual totem rather than a tool.

A fashion accessory. Jesus Christ what is next, nuclear fuel rods as sex toys?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

There is some justice in the world. Lee Atwater died at age 40 of Brain cancer.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Old racist Cliven Bundy thinks that the reason people are calling him a racist is that he said the word "negro" and not that he said the only thing "negros" were good for was picking cotton and that they would be better off as slaves.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

mcmagic posted:

Old racist Cliven Bundy thinks that the reason people are calling him a racist is that he said the word "negro" and not that he said the only thing "negros" were good for was picking cotton and that they would be better off as slaves.

There really needs to be a word for the opposite of overthinking something.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mcmagic posted:

Also that Martin Luther King and "Rosa Park" would support him.

vvvvv Dead calf, which is also a thing that he literally did on camera.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 25, 2014

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

"You haven't asked me that question this morning..."

"Well it's because you held up a dead cat."

Seriously what the hell.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Defenestration posted:

It's just more white guys who want unlimited power over everything they survey, and gently caress how the rest of society feels about anything. The threat of death to silence anyone who criticizes you on it.

I feel like I'm projecting a bit, but I'm convinced that those who advocate open carry are fully aware that having a firearm on their person in full display at all times is a show of force.

Gimby
Sep 6, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

A fashion accessory. Jesus Christ what is next, nuclear fuel rods as sex toys?

As long as its an unused one and you use a thick condom, should be perfectly safe :science:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Accretionist posted:

There really needs to be a word for the opposite of overthinking something.

"being a colossal retard"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Great_Gerbil posted:

I don't understand the distinction.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

SedanChair posted:

I don't understand the distinction.

He's saying essentially that by calling someone A racist, as opposed to racist, it is more likely you will compartmentalize the racism displayed by an individual as simply a reflection of that one person rather than the broader racist culture that exists.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah and it is waaaay the gently caress down the list of "things we need to do about racism" especially when we have a man on TV saying the things he said.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I have always viewed the usage of the term "negro" as not inherently racist, but so archaic and provincial that the only people using it in a racial context are unequivocally racists. Without exception. It's also used as a noun (e.g. "A black" as opposed to "A black person") for the same reason.

It's like that who moved my cheese book. Reading it won't get you fired, but if your boss recommends it...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zoux posted:

Yeah and it is waaaay the gently caress down the list of "things we need to do about racism" especially when we have a man on TV saying the things he said.

Considering the extraordinary things he said, maybe the proper term is the racist

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BUG JUG posted:

He's saying essentially that by calling someone A racist, as opposed to racist, it is more likely you will compartmentalize the racism displayed by an individual as simply a reflection of that one person rather than the broader racist culture that exists.

Oh, that sounds like a silly concept that must get bandied around a lot in academic circles until it's accepted as truth.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

I have always viewed the usage of the term "negro" as not inherently racist, but so archaic and provincial that the only people using it in a racial context are unequivocally racists. Without exception. It's also used as a noun (e.g. "A black" as opposed to "A black person") for the same reason.

I actually legit have this problem in real life whenever anyone here in America asks me about South Africa or especially about apartheid. There's no other English term for the Cape Coloureds (different from black people), it's the name of a distinct cultural group over there, it's how the group refers to themselves, and is not pejorative in any way...but if the person has never heard of them before, they get this look and I have to rush to explain "No no no no no it's not a term for black people and it's not old-fashioned and racist like 'Colored' is here I swear!" :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

BUG JUG posted:

I still don't get it - for example, he's racist, and I am not racist. That's okay, right?

• Locked thread