Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The_Guy posted:

Anime tends to be made as a composite of various awful fetishes to win over many tiny groups of niche interest nerds. It's no wonder that most shows make you sit through distasteful shite to get to the good stuff (if there is any).

You could play Otaku fetish bingo with the average production.

jackofarcades posted:

Yeah basically everything that implies. Indiana Jones but with high schoolers, a crossdressing maid, a super detective, and some fan service. Well, I guess Indy had some fanservice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Congrats on your SUPERIOR ANIME TASTE you should get a medal or something. It is funny though I'll give you that, but I can feel the smug coming off of you.
Thanks. :mmmhmm:

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

normal and well adjusted is an accomplishment
You're setting the bar for this pretty low if you mean "not a person who watches shows with juvenile cameltoe".

Delusibeta posted:

Considering All The Anime also organises Scotland Loves Anime in the autumn, I'll be genuinely surprised if it doesn't get another showing in either Glasgow or Edinburgh before release.
I'll have to keep an eye on this. I'd definitely consider getting a train down.

a kitten posted:

Oh wow, I had forgotten Patema Inverted even existed, so thanks for reminding me and double thanks for letting me know I might be able to watch it reasonably soon.
Yeah, it seems to be remarkably low-profile given that the director is pretty popular and the trailer looks great.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Just gave Madoka Yugioh the 3ep test, and I like it. I hate glasses girl, thus far, because of how weak she is, but the others seem interesting. I'm really interested in the MC though, because it seems like she has a bit of bloodlust in her.

I'll see where it goes, but quick question to card game anime veterans:
Has there ever been a card game anime(or even a game that's not a sport) that didn't have world altering repercussions?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Eej posted:

I dunno dude, you just said that it's far better to watch a villain who can't just stop raping her daughter and hitting her in the vagina over watching a man child freak out that his love potion-esque gimmick worked.

Perhaps it is I who have fallen for your satire. :aaa:
One is overtly sexual and gross which I'm guessing by your wording is all you really care about? It's fetishistic as hell, but as far as misogyny goes it's not really comparable, and that's all I really care about.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's basically a question of which bothers you more: seeing something totally gross presented as such, or seeing it portrayed as normal and harmless.

I'm with Mercrom on this one.

edit: Although given how often people defend garbage by swearing up and down it's really the former I get where the other side is coming from even if I don't agree.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 25, 2014

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Or hey, maybe just don't watch poo poo you don't want to watch and don't judge people who do watch the poo poo they want to watch. Good freaking lord. Nothing more annoying than people trying to prove their moral superiority over what loving cartoon they watch or don't watch.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Stall_19 posted:

Or hey, maybe just don't watch poo poo you don't want to watch and don't judge people who do watch the poo poo they want to watch. Good freaking lord. People trying to prove their moral superiority over what loving cartoon they watch or don't watch.

I'm pretty sure it's okay to judge people who watch shows with pedophilic content?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I dunno, I feel like the subtext of Ragyo's bad-touching is actually more toxic than the straightforward otaku wank material in NGNL...

But hey that's off-topic, so I'll also mention that the fascinatingly dull Blade and Soul continues Gonzo's concerted efforts to prove that Gankutsuou was a total fluke.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Seeing the tips here I watched Nanana, and it really is a pretty cool concept. I kinda would have preferred to watch the prequel about Nanana's life as a bad-rear end adventurer like in the intro, rather than see her reduced to a non-threatening Cute Ghost, but this show's pretty good as well. (also did I miss something or did they not explain at all why detective's assistant has started regularly wearing the maid outfit?)

The dungeons ruins are pretty cool so far but they've been quite short. I hope we get some multi-episode, really elaborate ones.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

XboxPants posted:

Seeing the tips here I watched Nanana, and it really is a pretty cool concept. I kinda would have preferred to watch the prequel about Nanana's life as a bad-rear end adventurer like in the intro, rather than see her reduced to a non-threatening Cute Ghost, but this show's pretty good as well. (also did I miss something or did they not explain at all why detective's assistant has started regularly wearing the maid outfit?)

Because he's a trap. Said as much in the story.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Redcrimson posted:

But hey that's off-topic, so I'll also mention that the fascinatingly dull Blade and Soul continues Gonzo's concerted efforts to prove that Gankutsuou was a total fluke.

Hey, Red Garden was good too! :v:

Seriously, though, looking at that list is just depressing.

e: Also in the middle of watching Nanana due to goon recs. I think I'd give it 7/10- solid, but I'm going to have completely forgotten about it in six months.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

pandaK posted:

Because he's a trap. Said as much in the story.

What's that supposed to mean? That's why she wore the outfit to the protagonist's room, to appeal to him. But why does that explain why she continue to wears it?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Holy crap, apparently my sarcastic point wasn't clear enough: stop posting about Kill la Kill crap, talk about the stupid television shows airing this season, don't watch lovely shows, read a goddamn book.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Zorak posted:

Holy crap, apparently my sarcastic point wasn't clear enough: stop posting about Kill la Kill crap, talk about the stupid television shows airing this season, don't watch lovely shows, read a goddamn book.

Can we talk about lovely books then? :v: (e: If they're LNs at least?)

Caught up with Irregular Magic to e3.
It doesn't seem that bad even if I'm ambivalent to the MC and despise the little sister. My god, that girl is doing everything but saying "I want you inside me" and I'm getting tired of her super-duper polite schtick. The side characters seem alright too.

I heard it's very jingoistic/nationalistic though. Is this true, and when does it show up if so? This isn't winning any awards, but it's passable at least.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Postal Parcel posted:

Can we talk about lovely books then? :v: (e: If they're LNs at least?)

Caught up with Irregular Magic to e3.
It doesn't seem that bad even if I'm ambivalent to the MC and despise the little sister. My god, that girl is doing everything but saying "I want you inside me" and I'm getting tired of her super-duper polite schtick. The side characters seem alright too.

I heard it's very jingoistic/nationalistic though. Is this true, and when does it show up if so? This isn't winning any awards, but it's passable at least.

There's supposed to be some dumb jingoistic crap about sneaky Chinese and Koreans trying to bring down glorious Nippon (the nation with the best wizards of course) but it's not really worth getting worked up about because that leads down a very depressing path where even classics are not guiltless.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

XboxPants posted:

What's that supposed to mean? That's why she wore the outfit to the protagonist's room, to appeal to him. But why does that explain why she continue to wears it?

Trap in this context implies male gender.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

Trap in this context implies male gender.

I guess you're right, from what little I know of otokonoko culture that does sound right. But I still massively object to crunchyroll's translation of "otokonoko" as "trap". "Trap" has gotta be one of the most harmful slurs around.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

I'll have to keep an eye on this. I'd definitely consider getting a train down.

Yeah, it seems to be remarkably low-profile given that the director is pretty popular and the trailer looks great.

It may have something to do with the fact Patema Inverted has an ok story, the setting aside. I was excited for it but when I came out of the theatre I just thought that "Yeah, that was ok." I don't know, maybe you'll get more out of it. Just turn your expectations down a little bit is all I'm saying.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
I made a WIXOSS thread for those who want to talk about that show.

dudermcbrohan fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 25, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

XboxPants posted:

I guess you're right, from what little I know of otokonoko culture that does sound right. But I still massively object to crunchyroll's translation of "otokonoko" as "trap". "Trap" has gotta be one of the most harmful slurs around.

That's the word of choice amongst pretty much the entire anime/manga/vn translation community, unfortunately.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Postal Parcel posted:

Has there ever been a card game anime(or even a game that's not a sport) that didn't have world altering repercussions?

Chihayafuru. Although maybe that counts as a sport.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That's the word of choice amongst pretty much the entire anime/manga/vn translation community, unfortunately.

It's pretty common within nerdy gay crossdressing circles too so I'm not really seeing how it's such a bad slur.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's pretty common within nerdy gay crossdressing circles too so I'm not really seeing how it's such a bad slur.

It's transphobic.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

This thread is getting dangerously SJW all of a sudden.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"Trap" is loving horrifying, as words go. Trans women face high rates of violence, homelessness, and suicide, and one of the contributing factors is that many people think they are playing some kind of trick on them by just existing. There are cases where people have gotten leniency for murdering trans women by saying they were driven temporarily insane by discovering their trans status.

But yea I guess I'm just a sjw lol.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Thread up for magic irregular. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3628565

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Devil Tesla posted:

"Trap" is loving horrifying, as words go. Trans women face high rates of violence, homelessness, and suicide, and one of the contributing factors is that many people think they are playing some kind of trick on them by just existing. There are cases where people have gotten leniency for murdering trans women by saying they were driven temporarily insane by discovering their trans status.
Yeah it's not SJW to say that this is a bad slur because it's at the heart of what transphobia is about.

Everyone should stop watching everything except for Ping Pong and Seki-kun, i've decreed it, it's now law

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can pry Mushishi from my cold, dead fingers.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Never gonna stop watching Jojo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Okay you can watch those also, but only if you watch the other two. i've informed the anime police and they have added them to their whitelist.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Postal Parcel posted:

Just gave Madoka Yugioh the 3ep test, and I like it. I hate glasses girl, thus far, because of how weak she is, but the others seem interesting. I'm really interested in the MC though, because it seems like she has a bit of bloodlust in her.

Hikaru no Go. They play go, and the consequences are go-related.

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say I'm only a few minutes into the first episode but I get the feeling a lot of people here won't like it. I'm already seeing an opportunity for tons of fan service in the future. :v:

This cracked me up like only a pun can.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Soul Eater Not is trying pretty hard to be a boring slice of life that I wouldn't give the time of day, but fortunately it's failing. At least for me, the combination of still being noticeably Soul Eater and the plotlines they're introducing providing just enough intrigue have contributed to it passing the three-episode test for now. Might make a thread on it later.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The Devil Tesla posted:

But yea I guess I'm just a sjw lol.

That's because filthy gaijins managed to misuse the term so that it started to cover a wider range of people than what it original referred to.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

pandaK posted:

That's because filthy gaijins managed to misuse the term so that it started to cover a wider range of people than what it original referred to.

you stink of nerd

The_Guy
Mar 1, 2004

Eventually they always run out of other people's tiles.

Redcrimson posted:

Blade and Soul is Gonzo? That explains a great deal!

It seems to be competently put together and has at least one likeable character (the dangerous drunken bounty hunter woman). Shame about the dull really, and having a charisma free lead character doesn't help.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
This new summer show looks massively exciting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XgK0QGrT7c

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

darkgray posted:

If that does not contain any multi-track drifting I will be incredibly disappointed.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

darkgray posted:

Uh... where did the trains go? There was like a quarter of the PV dedicated to them before we got to the generic anime big chested waifus. I'm not interested in trains, really, but that just seemed odd to me. Is it explained in the voice over?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The first thought that came to my mind (and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one) was of a less serious-looking Library Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

darkgray posted:

I'm not sure about this show. Those trains look disturbingly young.

• Locked thread