Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

It's clear that this is the ultimate purpose behind attunements - it's a way to gate content for people that clearly aren't ready for it

Even EverQuest, mother of attunements, let non-attuned people into areas on something like a 3:1 ratio of attuned/not.

And remember, this is what that looked like: http://home.earthlink.net/~brucehalpern/everquest/eqpopflag.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

ok, I'll ask it.

What's attunement?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Alpha Phoenix posted:

ok, I'll ask it.

What's attunement?

A questline or a series of tasks you're required to have done before you can access content, like a raid zone. It ostensibly acts as lore, or as a gating mechanism to keep you out of content you probably can't handle, but in practice it just ends up being annoying as gently caress because whenever you bring new members into your guild, you have to drag them through their attunement process before they can join you in whatever it is you actually want to be doing.

Styrka
Jul 18, 2010

Minsky posted:

P.S. I argued for GW2 style open tagging a hundred pages ago when we had that argument and I still think it may be a better system than even the current tagging system in Wildstar. I think as long as you contribute at least 10% damage, just give full credit.

Wait how exactly does tagging work in Wildstar now? It seems to be as long as I hit something I get credit for killing it.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Soothing Vapors posted:

This game's other features, like 40 man raids and complicated attunements to those raids, appeal to a certain type of personality. LFD tools are for casuals. Next you'll be telling me this game has :byodame: WELFARE PURPS :byodame:

Edit: Seriously, watch 34-44m of this youtube video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARj_GXBxxsM&t=34s, in which a grown-rear end man with a beard and everything actually says the words "if you don't have three or four hours to sit down and play, why are you playing an MMORPG" and appears to be arguing in favor of slower mounts

Oh this guy :v:

To be fair, LFD isn't the problem. LFR (as it is currently implemented) is a problem. It's just too dumbed down.

LFR makes raids more boring than dungeons and scenarios- all you do is 3-4 tank and spank bosses in a row with a lot of fire mechanics to get out of. The trash is a complete joke so all the raid tiers end up feeling really similar - with the exception of the first two wings of Siege of Ogrimmar which are actually fun.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Soothing Vapors posted:

This game's other features, like 40 man raids and complicated attunements to those raids, appeal to a certain type of personality. LFD tools are for casuals. Next you'll be telling me this game has :byodame: WELFARE PURPS :byodame:

Edit: Seriously, watch 34-44m of this youtube video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARj_GXBxxsM&t=34s, in which a grown-rear end man with a beard and everything actually says the words "if you don't have three or four hours to sit down and play, why are you playing an MMORPG" and appears to be arguing in favor of slower mounts

Is that necklace he's wearing the "I spent way too much on Shroud of the Avatar" necklace?

Arcfade
Nov 14, 2013

Or something

Styrka posted:

Wait how exactly does tagging work in Wildstar now? It seems to be as long as I hit something I get credit for killing it.

I've had similar luck. I've honestly just swooped in and wubbed a creature moments before its death on my medic and have gotten credit towards my quest. It seems they also made some pick-up items share between group members too, so yaaay less grindy, if only a little.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

biznatchio posted:

A questline or a series of tasks you're required to have done before you can access content, like a raid zone. It ostensibly acts as lore, or as a gating mechanism to keep you out of content you probably can't handle, but in practice it just ends up being annoying as gently caress because whenever you bring new members into your guild, you have to drag them through their attunement process before they can join you in whatever it is you actually want to be doing.

If it's story, then you've lost me entirely because in a lot of games I'd rather do the story than the attached dungeon. But that's why you'll find me on the cushy roleplay server with the other fluffy teddybears avoiding PvP and writing fanfics about our Chua heartthrobs.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Styrka posted:

I believe you get full credit if you're the one to tag it, and partial credit based on how much damage you do otherwise.

Edit: That's how I thought it worked. Posts elsewhere on the Internet (including the original dev post where they changed it) seem to imply that credit is simply split proportionally based on how much damage each person did, unless they are in a group in which case everyone gets full credit. I hope that's not the case because not only is that worse than what I thought the system is, it's worse than simple mob tagging. In fact I'm pretty sure tagging was originally introduced to *prevent* that kind of thing because it lets you actually slow someone down from completing their quest by "helping" them kill the monster and stealing credit from them (most of the time spent questing tends to not be spent in killing a monster but in finding the next one to kill).

Minsky fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 25, 2014

Okkusenman
Oct 31, 2010

this is me irl lmao and im gay. a gay man
Hey guys. I've got a weekend (for this weekend) Beta key for U.S and EU which I'm probably not gonna use.

Grab them here

US: 3T68-MS67-3HDR-3LDD-XXL7

EU: KSWC-7PDT-VZ7U-JFVX-SZWG

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Okkusenman posted:

US: 3T68-MS67-3HDR-3LDD-XXL7

Taken. Thanks!

Damage8185
Mar 29, 2010
I received a beta key from a friend when they reopened closed beta last November or December, and only played to level 12-15. I was extremely excited to try out the housing, but couldn't get access to it for some reason. Is housing implemented at this point in the beta? Or had it always been and I just missed it?

Falsey
Nov 21, 2010

The False Face mask scared younger viewers.
:anime: :pipe: :baby:

Okkusenman posted:

EU: KSWC-7PDT-VZ7U-JFVX-SZWG

I grabbed this one. Thanks a bunch!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Damage8185 posted:

I received a beta key from a friend when they reopened closed beta last November or December, and only played to level 12-15. I was extremely excited to try out the housing, but couldn't get access to it for some reason. Is housing implemented at this point in the beta? Or had it always been and I just missed it?

Housing is in, if you have a key for this beta weekend you can try it out. Here is a post about what a couple goons did last beta with housing.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Damage8185 posted:

You unlock housing at level 14, in your side's capital city, which may be why you missed it.

Evil Creature
Jul 25, 2007
Does anyone have a spare EU beta key for this weekend? I convinced a friend to try this out. Here is my spare US key for anyone that might need it.

US: APM6-826S-2DM8-LF8K-LYAA

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
So noticed I had a spare key for goonsumption

Us server

8Y49-WVAH-VDBB-5AVE-U8NG

Enjoy

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
A spare EU key for keyless eurogoons :

EU : RBRH-F2TX-KQRZ-NYU2-7H9H

Evil Creature
Jul 25, 2007

singateco posted:

EU : RBRH-F2TX-KQRZ-NYU2-7H9H

Taken! Thanks.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Minsky posted:

I believe you get full credit if you're the one to tag it, and partial credit based on how much damage you do otherwise.

Edit: That's how I thought it worked. Posts elsewhere on the Internet (including the original dev post where they changed it) seem to imply that credit is simply split proportionally based on how much damage each person did, unless they are in a group in which case everyone gets full credit. I hope that's not the case because not only is that worse than what I thought the system is, it's worse than simple mob tagging. In fact I'm pretty sure tagging was originally introduced to *prevent* that kind of thing because it lets you actually slow someone down from completing their quest by "helping" them kill the monster and stealing credit from them (most of the time spent questing tends to not be spent in killing a monster but in finding the next one to kill).

That might have been before they switch over to the percentage system. Nw you get a percentage based on how xp the kill gives you. Say you had a quest that was originally kill 10 skeeches, you can complete by killing 10 of the normal skeeches or you can take out the higher level ones that offer 150% and offer 15% completion per kill

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Minsky posted:

If it works the way you described it pre-edit, you can't slow down the person who originally tagged the monster, though, because they get full credit no matter what :confused:

e: If this is the case, the proper way to duo without forming a group is to have one person tag a monster and then just stand there while the other one kills it by themselves :v:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Arcfade posted:

I've had similar luck. I've honestly just swooped in and wubbed a creature moments before its death on my medic and have gotten credit towards my quest. It seems they also made some pick-up items share between group members too, so yaaay less grindy, if only a little.

Quest items you need to loot need to be changed to not despawn at all. It was annoying enough trying to loot 10 items with 3-4 people around, and it's going to be a nightmare during the week the game releases.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

Quest items you need to loot need to be changed to not despawn at all. It was annoying enough trying to loot 10 items with 3-4 people around, and it's going to be a nightmare during the week the game releases.

Just spam the loot key. You can use it while fighting

Styrka
Jul 18, 2010

Zlodo posted:

Just spam the loot key. You can use it while fighting

Some of them require cast times which can be interrupted in combat. The worst part is quest credit for these types of things aren't shared to group, so for those quests being in a group actually hurts you since it's encouraging multiple people to be in the same area while forcing them to split those collectables.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That might have been before they switch over to the percentage system. Nw you get a percentage based on how xp the kill gives you. Say you had a quest that was originally kill 10 skeeches, you can complete by killing 10 of the normal skeeches or you can take out the higher level ones that offer 150% and offer 15% completion per kill

That's true, but I think it's a separate thing though and I don't mind that change. The amount of contribution, which also probably equals the amount of xp, is still affected based on how I describe it I think: one guy gets full credit and everyone else gets a bit of credit based on how much damage they did.

I thought the progress bar thing was a gimmick at first, but then I tried it, and it seemed to actually make questing a bit less tedious somehow. I guess because you didn't know at a glance exactly how many kills you had left?

loquacius posted:

If it works the way you described it pre-edit, you can't slow down the person who originally tagged the monster, though, because they get full credit no matter what :confused:

e: If this is the case, the proper way to duo without forming a group is to have one person tag a monster and then just stand there while the other one kills it by themselves :v:

Yes, you can't gently caress someone over with the pre-edit system, so there is at least that. I think it's still inferior to the "gently caress it" system of giving everyone full credit a la GW2. The post-edit system was what they posted in the dev post describing the change though and that didn't include the part there was still tagging for full credit. I'm not 100% sure if that actually is the case, but I think pre-edit is how it seemed to work last weekend.

Minsky fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 25, 2014

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Styrka posted:

Some of them require cast times which can be interrupted in combat. The worst part is quest credit for these types of things aren't shared to group, so for those quests being in a group actually hurts you since it's encouraging multiple people to be in the same area while forcing them to split those collectables.

I've only played a stalker but does the loot key interrupt casting? Because it seemed to work completely independently of combat. It doesn't interrupt channeling with the laser mining thing for instance

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Extra EU key for those across the pond:

QBFJ-TALG-QCFB-ZLU2-AZYE

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
It appears the Beta weekend has started but is having a whole bunch of problems. More poo poo that doesn't bode well a month from release. I hope they get their poo poo together, sincerely. I like what I've played, but it's for poo poo if they can't keep it stable.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zlodo posted:

I've only played a stalker but does the loot key interrupt casting? Because it seemed to work completely independently of combat. It doesn't interrupt channeling with the laser mining thing for instance

I think you and Stryka are talking about two different things. I think he means the quest interactables, like 8 civilians wrapped in cocoons.

Kit Nubbles
Nov 17, 2005

Keeper of the Beard

VoLaTiLe posted:

So noticed I had a spare key for goonsumption

Us server

8Y49-WVAH-VDBB-5AVE-U8NG

Enjoy

Taken!

e: gently caress, beaten

Kit Nubbles fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 25, 2014

i am paul newman
Mar 31, 2010
Beta Key for European Servers: RA38-PMQP-999F-2GJW-XXPR

Only network errors so far for me.

Kit Nubbles
Nov 17, 2005

Keeper of the Beard
E: taking this to the begging thread.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Game seems pretty cool but good god is the UI horrible. Hope it's not final.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
This network error simulator is not enjoyable :(

twi
Oct 31, 2011

canepazzo posted:

Game seems pretty cool but good god is the UI horrible. Hope it's not final.

There'll be addons. Not sure how much they can modify, but I'm hoping for complete UI customization, similar to WoW.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Just from what I saw last week, it should be pretty customizable. The entire stock UI seems to be made of addons and there's an addon section in the settings where you can individually manage every little element of the UI. Which is good because I agree the stock UI is balls.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

twi posted:

There'll be addons. Not sure how much they can modify, but I'm hoping for complete UI customization, similar to WoW.

Addons will be a massive part of the game, they have a subforum dedicated to modding and are giving modders the same tools the devs have.

Also if you haven't modded your game yet, go on the forum and get Steer and keybind freedom. It dramatically changes how the game plays, and really should just be in the base game.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

The Wildstar experience.

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.

i am paul newman posted:

Beta Key for European Servers: RA38-PMQP-999F-2GJW-XXPR

Only network errors so far for me.

Thank you

In return, beta key for US Servers: 8SRL-KBPK-3D2L-WP6Y-KQYY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLlama254
Dec 9, 2013

Kosh Naranek posted:

Thank you

In return, beta key for US Servers: 8SRL-KBPK-3D2L-WP6Y-KQYY