Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Cadetcons posted:

"dealer swap" stuff

Something tells me that no dealer in their right mind would part with an in-stock 2015 WRX for another dealer to trade away.

nutnmunch is right; I'd just order one that was built to your specifications. It takes a while, sure, but then it's YOURS. You know it won't be test-driven (or clutch-dumped) by some chump before you get your hands on it (probably). It'll be in the right color. It won't have crap that you're paying for but don't want. And I have to think that you'd be able to get one cheaper this way too, because they can't just say "well, we'll sell it to the next guy for more money". Say to the guy "I know exactly what model I want, and what I want to pay for it, it's an order-out, I don't mind waiting - make it happen!"

The car that they couldn't sell to you - where conveniently it was the other dealership's fault? It was either sold by the other dealer for more money, sold by your dealer for more money, or never existed.

e: what trim are you looking at? I'm currently tossing up between Premium/Limited in Galaxy Blue Pearl with the STI Short Throw Shifter. The WRX I drove was a limited but I totally forgot to look at the LED lights to see if they were any good.

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cadetcons
Aug 15, 2008

sarcastx posted:

Something tells me that no dealer in their right mind would part with an in-stock 2015 WRX for another dealer to trade away.

nutnmunch is right; I'd just order one that was built to your specifications. It takes a while, sure, but then it's YOURS. You know it won't be test-driven (or clutch-dumped) by some chump before you get your hands on it (probably). It'll be in the right color. It won't have crap that you're paying for but don't want. And I have to think that you'd be able to get one cheaper this way too, because they can't just say "well, we'll sell it to the next guy for more money". Say to the guy "I know exactly what model I want, and what I want to pay for it, it's an order-out, I don't mind waiting - make it happen!"

The car that they couldn't sell to you - where conveniently it was the other dealership's fault? It was either sold by the other dealer for more money, sold by your dealer for more money, or never existed.

e: what trim are you looking at? I'm currently tossing up between Premium/Limited in Galaxy Blue Pearl with the STI Short Throw Shifter. The WRX I drove was a limited but I totally forgot to look at the LED lights to see if they were any good.

I was looking at the limited, but wasn't in love with the spoiler, and the moonroof made it feel like I had a little less headroom (I'm 6'4"). I wanted the short throw, but was steered away from the factory upgrade due to the price and quality of the aftermarket version. Really the only thing I wanted was the LED lights, but couldn't justify any of the other upgrades. Long story short, I want the full base model in WR Blue, with plans to upgrade with an aftermarket shift and navigation system.

And thank you everyone for the advise, I was really just being impatient, but I'll probably have to throw a few hundred dollars into my trade in for some 100k mile maintenance, but I'll benefit in the long run with exactly the car that I want!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Agreeing with the last few posters. I don't buy new cars, but if I did I'd want one built and delivered just for me.

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

sarcastx posted:

Bonus story about that dealership I mentioned on the last page:

So, the reason I went to that dealership with that STI was that they were advertising a WRX Premium in WRB on their site. I figured I'd go take a look at it, as what the hell? Maybe it was fresh off the truck!

Lo and behold, it *was* fresh off the truck! I asked for a test drive and they gave it to me. I drove it around for a good 30 minutes without a dealer in the car (they encouraged me to take it for a longer drive, as I was a serious buyer) before bringing it back. When I ended up switching my interest to the STI, I caught another dude driving it right after me. I ended up walking, but I came back the next day and found out that the WRX I had been driving was actually someone's car. Yup. It was an ordered car that apparently went unmarked.

The salesman told me that a few other people had been in the car, too.

I didn't beat on it, but holy gently caress. If I ordered a car and found out it was the dealership mule for the day, I'd be beyond pissed.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I wouldn't accept a brand new car unless it had 0kms on the clock. That's loving bullshit.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Braggo posted:

All of this jack stand etc talk reminds me I need to suck it up and get a jack and jack stands since it's not realistic to use dad's anymore. Anyone have suggestions?

I do have a harbor freight nearby but not sure if skimping on things that hold the car up while I'm under it is the smartest idea.

harbor freight is perfectly trustworthy on pieces of equipment you can adequately explain and draw a diagram of on a bar napkin after four drinks

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I wouldn't accept a brand new car unless it had 0kms on the clock. That's loving bullshit.

You'd be waiting a long loving time then. You'll be ignoring the fact that once the car gets off the assembly line it is driven everywhere (to the boat, off the boat, onto the truck, off the truck, around the dealership lot). That also assumes the factory didn't do QA on your particular car. One of my co-workers used to work for BMW in Germany. His job for about 3 months was to pull a car from the assembly line, thrash it on a skid pad, take it for a cruise on the autobahn, bring it back to the factory, reset the odometer, and grab another. Its how they ensured quality of the final product.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A few miles due to transportation and whatever is fine. But test drives in a car that someone already bought, not so much.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Brigdh posted:

You'd be waiting a long loving time then. You'll be ignoring the fact that once the car gets off the assembly line it is driven everywhere (to the boat, off the boat, onto the truck, off the truck, around the dealership lot). That also assumes the factory didn't do QA on your particular car. One of my co-workers used to work for BMW in Germany. His job for about 3 months was to pull a car from the assembly line, thrash it on a skid pad, take it for a cruise on the autobahn, bring it back to the factory, reset the odometer, and grab another. Its how they ensured quality of the final product.

Well yeah it's going to have a few KMs from them moving it around but gently caress driving a car that the dealer let people thrash after you already bought it. That should be illegal.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Cadetcons posted:

I was looking at the limited, but wasn't in love with the spoiler, and the moonroof made it feel like I had a little less headroom

That's funny because I talked myself into Premium for the spoiler and the moonroof alone (though don't forget about the heated seats).

What aftermarket shifter? Do you have a link?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

nutnmunch posted:

Bonus story about that dealership I mentioned on the last page:

So, the reason I went to that dealership with that STI was that they were advertising a WRX Premium in WRB on their site. I figured I'd go take a look at it, as what the hell? Maybe it was fresh off the truck!

Lo and behold, it *was* fresh off the truck! I asked for a test drive and they gave it to me. I drove it around for a good 30 minutes without a dealer in the car (they encouraged me to take it for a longer drive, as I was a serious buyer) before bringing it back. When I ended up switching my interest to the STI, I caught another dude driving it right after me. I ended up walking, but I came back the next day and found out that the WRX I had been driving was actually someone's car. Yup. It was an ordered car that apparently went unmarked.

The salesman told me that a few other people had been in the car, too.

I didn't beat on it, but holy gently caress. If I ordered a car and found out it was the dealership mule for the day, I'd be beyond pissed.

:aaaaa:

Just wow.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Cat Terrist do you know any good mechanics on the Gold Coast to check out a car?

Cadetcons
Aug 15, 2008

sarcastx posted:

That's funny because I talked myself into Premium for the spoiler and the moonroof alone (though don't forget about the heated seats).

What aftermarket shifter? Do you have a link?

I just pulled it back up to send you the link... And it's not for the 2015. I should have known it's still a bit too early for that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nutnmunch posted:

Yeah, this is what my local dealership told me when BRZs are new. I could pay them a deposit and order in the car, and then if I didn't like it when it arrived they would give it to the next guy in line and refund my deposit.

So if I end up liking 'my' car I have no way of knowing how many yobbos have taken it out for a test flight before me and gotten their deposits back.

The Toyota dealer was even worse, and wanted me to complete the purchasing and finance paperwork before I could test drive their dedicated demo car. I didn't drive one until autocross a few months later.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I am about to attempt the timing belt and water pump jon on my 04 wrx. I have new Subaru Coolant, a Subaru water pump gasket, and the Gates kit on hand. Gonna have the wife park the car tonite, and after work tomorrow get started. I printed out the meatys guide off NASIOC and I not afraid to admit am more than a little nervous.

Any last words of wisdom from anyone? Do I use the gasket with any sealant or just dry?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Any last words of wisdom from anyone? Do I use the gasket with any sealant or just dry?

I did mine dry and no leaks, I think the factory service manual also just says to put it on dry. Otherwise it's not too daunting of a job, it helps if you have an extra set of hands when throwing the timing belt back on since the pulleys can be bit of a bitch to get nice and proper without the proprietary (too much $$$) cam holder tool. Otherwise good luck!

--------------------------------------------

I'm in need of an opinion. I've decided to go ahead with an STI swap and I'm picking up a 2013 STI trans in a few weeks, that has left me with the need to figure out what I'm doing with axles. Getting custom axles made up is a tad expensive (Cheapest I've found is a suggestion from a local subie owner that he got his for $800 + shipping costs for a full set & supplying the parts, otherwise it's $1200+ for a set of 2), and since I'm only throwing down 315 tq to the wheels I don't need some crazy high hp rated axles. My search has led me to custom hubs that fit into the WRX wheel bearings but have the spline count & size for the STI Axles, although I haven't been able to find a source for this (appears to only come in a kit with a set of custom axles, found a used set but it's only a set of 2 and they want $250 each for them)

Finally found this: NASIOC Link - Custom CV Races Looks like a pretty decent solution (custom races so you can use the WRX shaft on the outer end while using the STI shaft on the inner end, for those who are too lazy to click the link) and it so far looks like the cheapest option. Any opinions if this looks like a decent idea?

From his website, what he offers:

05+ STI inner joint (8 ball cup) with 22 spline axle
05+ STI inner joint (8 ball cup) with 21 spline axle

Hopefully the 2013 STI CV still uses the same construction, usually when I see 05+ it refers to 05-07, crossing my fingers. I'll take apart my axles and the new STI ones to count the splines and hopefully he's got what I need.

si
Apr 26, 2004
What are you swapping it into, and any reason you went with a 2013 trans? You're going to have to do something to get a VSS signal off of it I believe since the gear isn't there in the post 2007 models. The front axles are compatible for 2004-2007 models with the 5MTs, with the special case being the 2004 and its stubs. The rears you can just swap the entire upright assembly.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Swapping in the 13 into my 03 Baja that has a 2010 WRX swap. The 2010 already uses the abs sensors for vehicle speed so I opted to go with a newer trans, this one has less than 7k miles on it so it should be pretty much brand new, and I got the whole swap package for less than the older 04-07 transmissions are going for alone, probably because of the VSS compatibility issue with the newer trans. Currently it's setup with the WRX trans, WRX front hubs, WRX rear diff, Baja rear hubs, front is WRX axles, rear is Baja axles which were identical to the WRX ones on the diff side.

So here's the rundown of what's staying:

2010 WRX motor
2010 WRX front hubs
2003 Baja rear hubs

Swapping in STI hubs isn't going to be easy, the front might be doable, but the rear is a completely different setup so I can't just swap the STI hubs in the back, leaving me the options of custom axles, hub adapters, or the adapter CV races from the guy on NASIOC.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Here are the options I see:

1. Use an R160 rear diff. You can either change the flange or use a driveshaft from an automatic (same length as 6-speed).

2. Do the hybrid/custom axle thing

Things that might work:

3. Legacy Spec B axles - has a 6 speed, r180, but 5x100 hubs/bearings

4. Try using 08 sti bolt-in bearings in your uprights. I think someone did this for a 5x114 conversion on legacygt, it probably involves machining the spindles.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I didn't realize that vsspro can solve the post-08 STI transmission problem. I'm kind of excited now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Cat Terrist do you know any good mechanics on the Gold Coast to check out a car?

I'll ask around.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

jamal posted:

1. Use an R160 rear diff
2. Do the hybrid/custom axle thing
3. Legacy Spec B axles
4. Try using 08 sti bolt-in bearings in your uprights

1. I'd still have to pick up an LSD, the Cusco 1.5 way is the one I've been eyeing as you know but $1300 is a bit steep if I can get away with using the R180 in the rear, otherwise it is one of the easier options

2. If the CV adaptors work out that's what I'm leaning towards

3. Good to know, I'll have to see if I can track down spline counts but if these work as a drop in, it'll probably be the easiest, going to have to see if I can find a set of axles for a decent price. From what I've seen I should be looking for the 07-09 LGT Spec B axles, as the 05-06 still had an R160.

4. Last resort as I'd have to track down bearings/buy new ones, The current ones are pretty much brand new on all 4 corners so I'm trying my best to get a nice solution for cheap. Plus I've got 4 sets of wheels in 5x100 (Enkei's, '10 WRX, Legacy snowflakes, and a set of steelies) but I want to trim that down to 2 sets, one dedicated winter on the WRX wheels, and the Enkei's for summer. Still, tracking down new wheels is another expense I'd like to avoid for a while.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I didn't realize that vsspro can solve the post-08 STI transmission problem. I'm kind of excited now.

Yeah, it's pretty cheap too at $175. Honestly it seems worth it too since the 08+ transmission swaps are listing for anywhere between $500 - $1000 cheaper than the equivalent 04-07 transmission swaps. Still get all the goodies with the LSD in the front and rear, and the trick DCCD as the older trans, but with less miles and a cheaper price tag. I guess a lot of people don't know about the VSSpro so the newer transmissions are still going for cheaper than the older ones.

Edit: V Yeah, same guys. Same experience with them too, just ordered the DCCDpro universal and their customer service is top notch.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 23, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is VSSpro made by the same people as DCCDpro? Great group to deal with.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Apparantly the spec b axles are not quite the same. Not sure why but I guess the hubs on them are different. However, those hubs/bearings should bolt into your car. Also some of the jdm wrxes had r180s plus 5x100 hubs so if you could track down a set of those they would work too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I would imagine the spec b axles are a little longer than they would be for an Impreza because of the increased track width of that generation of Legacy? At least that's what I remember from when I went on a "let's add an R180 to my TS" research spree.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Cat Terrist posted:

I'll ask around.

Thanks. If take the car to Cnj (don't know if you've heard if them) but thats 45-60 minutes away for the seller. Just want someone who knows more than me to go over the car to find stuff that dad and I might miss.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would imagine the spec b axles are a little longer than they would be for an Impreza because of the increased track width of that generation of Legacy? At least that's what I remember from when I went on a "let's add an R180 to my TS" research spree.

For his baja they should be the right length. From looking at some posts on nasioc they are not a drop in for using an r180 in say a GD wrx so there must be something different with the hub/splines between the 5x100 spec b and other 5x100 cars. But, like I said, the spec b bearings/hubs should still fit into the baja uprights. I think the only problem would be finding spec b axles for less than whatever they cost at a dealer/sgp. Napa doesn't list one for that car.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I ordered my VSS pro monday, so when I do my 08 trans swap I'll try and post details about it in my thread.

I'm not balla as gently caress though, so I'm going LGT trans, no trick diffs for me.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Went to look at a Forester this evening. Overall pretty decent condition. There were a couple of things I was concerned with. I know the boxers sound a bit noisy but it sounded pretty loud at idle when warm. Is this normal? Coolant looked maybe a bit dirty and there was no milkshake in the oil.

There was also a pretty decent amount of oil on one side of the engine and a check engine light was on. They said that they had taken it to the dealer of the CEL and that they were told everything was fine...

si
Apr 26, 2004

Timmy Cruise posted:

There was also a pretty decent amount of oil on one side of the engine and a check engine light was on. They said that they had taken it to the dealer of the CEL and that they were told everything was fine...

Uh, yeah, no. Walk away.

The oil could be as simple as the valve cover & spark plug gaskets. However, you don't get a CEL and get told "everything is fine", so they're lying to you, run.

jamal posted:

For his baja they should be the right length. From looking at some posts on nasioc they are not a drop in for using an r180 in say a GD wrx so there must be something different with the hub/splines between the 5x100 spec b and other 5x100 cars. But, like I said, the spec b bearings/hubs should still fit into the baja uprights. I think the only problem would be finding spec b axles for less than whatever they cost at a dealer/sgp. Napa doesn't list one for that car.

That's an interesting question. His Baja I think would be the equivalent of a 3rd gen Legacy chassis, not a 4th gen, right? It doesn't use a multilink rear, or does it? The spec.B rear axles are much too long for the GD hubs, they'd fit otherwise. The spec.B axles are indeed "rare" and hard to find, the rear diff isn't terribly easy to find either. It's also a 3.9 FD, so I don't believe you could use it with an 06+ STI trans which are all 3.54 right?

There IS a thread on NASIOC on how to disassemble GD R160 axles along with a set of spec.B axles and create a hybrid proper length and proper splined version, but I seem to recall the spec.B axles alone cost like $800 making it rather prohibitive.

si fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 24, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

si posted:

Uh, yeah, no. Walk away.

The oil could be as simple as the valve cover & spark plug gaskets. However, you don't get a CEL and get told "everything is fine", so they're lying to you, run.

That's an interesting question. His Baja I think would be the equivalent of a 3rd gen Legacy chassis, not a 4th gen, right? It doesn't use a multilink rear, or does it?

Rear of the 3rd and 4th gen are pretty much identical. Swaybar has some different bends, and that's about all I can think of. But maybe the track is wider on the 4th gen.

Here are pictures of each:

si
Apr 26, 2004
Ah ok, yeah that looks pretty much spot on to mine, except some aluminumy bits and the yellow struts.

I thought the 3rd gen was the lateral/trailing setup like the GC/GD Impreza.

I'd offer mine up for measurements, but we're all on different sides of the country.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

3rd gen legacies are the same as 4th in the rear. They're a bastard chassis where the front is old impreza and the rear is new legacy.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
Man I have been gone from here for too long. Kids require a lot of attention.

My friend picked up his 2015 WRX the other day and it looks great. I don't think I care for the 6 speed since 1st was nearly worthless and the rest of the ratios pretty much match my 5 speed. We had his '15 and my '13 in the garage side by side going over them looking at what all was changed. Looking forward to his break in being over with so he will beat on it a bit.

On another note, yesterday I learned how good my brakes were. This poor girl in front of me managed to slam into the back of the guy in front of her. I never saw her brake lights come on, just the airbags all exploding. Luckily this sparked something in my brain to slam on my brakes and I stopped just a few inches off of her bumper. Got out, made sure everyone was OK and when the police showed I spoke with him for a minute and left. The car had a nice vibration and thumped the rest of the way home. I gave it a bath since I had to drive through all of her CRV's fluids in the street and noticed that my tires had basically collected the asphalt onto them. Both fronts have it and its got the tires totally out of balance. Any suggestions on getting this poo poo off? Tires are the OEM Dunlops without about 50% tread remaining. If it was 25% I would be at the tire store already.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I stupidly hit a curb with my Crosstrek and have a bit of sidewall damage. How much is too much? The OEM tires from tirerack are like $190 and I still have 10-15 thousand miles of good tread left so I'd rather not get a new one, but I'd also like to not have my tire explode:

My understanding is that I'd also want to have the tire shaved down to match the other three?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
2004 WRX OEM Endlink broke. Do I buy a new one for 30 bucks, or go aftermarket?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

powderific posted:

I stupidly hit a curb with my Crosstrek and have a bit of sidewall damage. How much is too much? The OEM tires from tirerack are like $190 and I still have 10-15 thousand miles of good tread left so I'd rather not get a new one, but I'd also like to not have my tire explode:

My understanding is that I'd also want to have the tire shaved down to match the other three?

Take it to a tire shop to get their opinion. I've had tires with sidewall gouges that have lasted many years but I'm never comfortable telling someone to drive on them based on a picture off the internet.

If you replace one tire you must shave it to match the tread depth of the other three.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Should I just do a picture dump of the 78 Wagon I bought? I don't know if I have the time to maintain a thread.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Might as well make a thread, we get so few new threads in AI and almost no new threads are about Subarus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Don't let your not mechanically-inclined friends "take a whack" at loosening fragile parts without supervision. Sheared brake pipe. :sigh: