Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Quality audio?

Not a given with a gaming headset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Pews posted:

Looking for a 'gaming' headset. I have a very nice pair of Sennheisers that have served me well for about 2 years. But I've been getting tired of using my webcam as a mic and I also need a headset with a mic for my PS4 as games are gonna start coming out soon that I actually want to play.

I don't mind spending $200-300 on a headset, but most of the options seem closer to the 200 range. I talked to the guy at gamestop and he highly recommended the TRITTON Pro+ 5.1 which he said he'd have to special order for $200 and it'd take a couple days to get to the store.

Now that I've gotten home and looked around there is quite a huge selection, does anyone have some resources or experience with higher end gaming headsets? My primary concern is that it works with PS4 and PC, not wireless, and hopefully better sound quality than my current pair.

Gaming headsets are usually pretty mediocre for their price point. Sound quality, build quality, and comfort are rare things to find in a headset and good luck finding all three at once.

Instead you could get a pair of proper headphones with a detachable cable, like the Philips Fidelio X1 or the AKG Q701 (if we're talking $200 headphones), and get a V-moda BoomPro cable for your microphone. Or use any set of headphones with a clip on mic like the Zalman ZM-mic1, but the extra cable's kind of a nuisance so just get the V-moda. These work fine with the PS4.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That looks like a loving fantastic option.

Essobie posted:

Do you actually NEED $200 head cans for gaming? It's really up to the user and how well they can even tell the difference. I would guess that if you are lucky (unlucky?) enough to not be able to tell the difference in quality, then save your paycheck and just get something that just works that won't break if you drop it off your desk. Otherwise, investing in nice stuff can really make the listening part of playing very enjoyable.

You do because of the massive difference in comfort between poo poo cans and some of the nicer ones. Even if there was no sound quality difference, comfort alone is worth it for something you're going to wear for hundreds of hours.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 20, 2014

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Sound pro friend of mine turned me on to this interesting website: Phillips Golden Ears. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but apparently it's a good primer for such things as pseudo-science bullshit like "warmer", which actually turn out to have actual meaning and some of it you can actually tell the difference on given your gear.

Do you actually NEED $200 head cans for gaming? It's really up to the user and how well they can even tell the difference. I would guess that if you are lucky (unlucky?) enough to not be able to tell the difference in quality, then save your paycheck and just get something that just works that won't break if you drop it off your desk. Otherwise, investing in nice stuff can really make the listening part of playing very enjoyable.

I use a full 5.1 surround speaker setup myself... but I have the luxury of living alone in an apartment very little sound travel through walls.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anyone have any experience with the Sennheiser PC 350's? I'm in a noisier environment a lot now, so I'm thinking of switching from open headphones to closed.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Sennheiser PC 350's? I'm in a noisier environment a lot now, so I'm thinking of switching from open headphones to closed.

I recently switched from ocean to closed headphones for similar reasons - a pair of logitech G930s in my case - and while they have good noise cancelling and other benefits, they make my ears sweat. It gets uncomfortable pretty fast, so be wary of that if you decide to switch to closed.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Counterpoint - I can wear my G930s for hours on end with no issues.

I like them. Sound quality is pretty good, wireless battery lasts a decent amount of time or you can leave the cable in, comfort is great for me (your head may vary). Only bugbear I have with them is the need to manually switch audio devices in windows if I want to swap between headset and speakers. Probably the same for all USB setups though.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I have a pair of G35s and they are one of the better quality gaming headsets I've had. The sound reproduction is good, but not super-amazing audiophile stuff. It's not a huge problem for me, because I'm not a music/audio nerd so I don't really notice the difference, and expensive headphones for (mostly) games and the occasional movie seems like a huge waste to me. The psuedo-surround emulation thing is good enough but obviously will never replace a proper surround setup.

The ear cups are lined with a fake leather-ish covering which doesn't breathe, so if you're a fat sweaty goon that hates air conditioning and/or just a fat sweaty goon then, well, prepare for ear sweat. Beyond that, the build quality is among the best I've seen on a relatively low-cost pair of headphones. Even the cord is really nice, and I like that the volume controls are on the headset itself rather than on an in-line thing on the cord, because those always seem to be the major point of failure for headphones in my case (and I don't even pick the things up by the cord).

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

AirRaid posted:

I like them. Sound quality is pretty good, wireless battery lasts a decent amount of time or you can leave the cable in, comfort is great for me (your head may vary). Only bugbear I have with them is the need to manually switch audio devices in windows if I want to swap between headset and speakers. Probably the same for all USB setups though.

Plug them in and set as the default device, unplugging them will switch back to the speakers until they are plugged back in, which will cause them to be seen as the default again and they will switch automatically.

That's how my wired USB logitek headset works.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I have AKG K99 headphones and they were around $100. They're wonderful, maybe a bit lacking in bass but nice all the same. My only problem is that wearing it for more than 5 minutes is an instant headache and the pain of using them is unbearable.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

Plug them in and set as the default device, unplugging them will switch back to the speakers until they are plugged back in, which will cause them to be seen as the default again and they will switch automatically.

I never unplug them though. The wireless receiver stays plugged in all the time.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've been using these for gaming and music. For the price they are fantastic closed headphones and really comfy.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Ularg posted:

I have AKG K99 headphones and they were around $100. They're wonderful, maybe a bit lacking in bass but nice all the same. My only problem is that wearing it for more than 5 minutes is an instant headache and the pain of using them is unbearable.

I feel like your description is the exact opposite of a wonderful pair of headphones ;o

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Pews posted:

I feel like your description is the exact opposite of a wonderful pair of headphones ;o

It's not the headphones, it's me. Only very specific earbuds out of all the earbuds and headphones in the world that I've ever tried have not given me headaches.

I wonder if I can just tape something to it to give it more cushion, though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pews posted:

Well, headphones with bloated bass that shits all over everything else, which happens to be the case for any 'gaming headsets', is further from wonderful than a slight lack of bass.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

kalstrams posted:

Well, headphones with bloated bass that shits all over everything else, which happens to be the case for any 'gaming headsets', is further from wonderful than a slight lack of bass.

I think he was referring to the headphones being "unbearable" to use, not the lack of bass.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think he was referring to the headphones being "unbearable" to use, not the lack of bass.

I considered this option but then I thought that ergonomics being referenced does not make much sense in the light of the question.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ColHannibal posted:

The only problem with this is you still have to restart many games to get them to recognize/switch to the new sound device, even if Windows registers them as the default on plugin. Ditto unplugging them. (A few--like TF2, if I recall right--let you choose your sound device mid-game. Thanks, Valve :))

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 20, 2014

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've had the 360 for years now and I'm very happy with it, after a period of breaking-in.

One thing I see from the Amazon comparison chart is that the 350 is higher impedance than the 360, so you may need a sound card with a headphone amp to drive it. The 360 I just use with onboard sound.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

kalstrams posted:

I considered this option but then I thought that ergonomics being referenced does not make much sense in the light of the question.

The headphones really are nice. They are basically the best kind of quality you can get for under $200 if I would have to take a guess. Great for music, great for movies, pretty decent for games. I don't even know if it's the headphones or just my disposition to get migraines real easy. Seriously, if I put contacts in I'll both feel relieved like a vice has been taken off my head and stare at the giant red marks on my nose, same kind of premise for going from headphones to speakers, ears red and all that.

I would like to know if it's just me or just my headphones or a little of both that I can fix with some cushion taped to both sides because I'd like to "get with it" when it comes to everyone and their dog using headphones for better gaming.

Anyway, that said, I'd like to ask you guys about Origin. Has it gotten better for you guys lately? I seemed to have no problem installing games on it besides the weird issue of Battlefield 1942 never being able to launch. New refund policies and actual sales has kind of made it into a "Steam but I can ignore most of the social features" kind of thing. Which I'm totally fine with. It seemed like Steam came into its own at a time when I and my friends were sick of Xfire, and while Origin doesn't get anywhere close to giving a better community platform than Steam I can't really find huge faults with the service for buying and installing games. You know, if we aren't actually talking about the quality of the games.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ularg posted:

Anyway, that said, I'd like to ask you guys about Origin. Has it gotten better for you guys lately? I seemed to have no problem installing games on it besides the weird issue of Battlefield 1942 never being able to launch. New refund policies and actual sales has kind of made it into a "Steam but I can ignore most of the social features" kind of thing. Which I'm totally fine with. It seemed like Steam came into its own at a time when I and my friends were sick of Xfire, and while Origin doesn't get anywhere close to giving a better community platform than Steam I can't really find huge faults with the service for buying and installing games. You know, if we aren't actually talking about the quality of the games.

Never had a problem with it in the first place so... yes I guess it has.

Sad 2 Da Bone
Feb 13, 2012

AirRaid posted:

I had the same annoyance switching default sound device and found an AutoHotkey script that makes it pretty easy. I use headphones running from a separate soundcard and speakers running from the onboard sound, but I assume it works the same via USB in that it shows up as a separate playback device in Windows. With the code below hitting Scroll Lock switches between the first and second playback devices that show up in the sound dialog box (I had to disable all playback devices but the two I wanted to switch between):

code:
ScrollLock:: 
    Run mmsys.cpl 
    SetControlDelay 0
    WinWait Sound 
    switch := !switch 
    if (switch) {
        ControlSend, SysListView321,{Down 1}
        SetScrollLockState on   
    } Else {
        ControlSend, SysListView321,{Down 2} 
        SetScrollLockState off
    }
    ControlClick &Set Default 
    ControlClick OK 
return
You can set it to whatever key, I used scroll lock because it's used for fuckall and the indicator light shows if I have it set for headphones or speakers.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Spoony Bard posted:

I had the same annoyance switching default sound device and found an AutoHotkey script that makes it pretty easy.

I tried an AHK thing and could never get it to work. Maybe I'm just dumb and bad at setting up AHK.

Re: Origin - yes it's better than it was. There's no real reason not to use it any more, beyond "hurrrr EA". Splitting your library/friends is the only real pain but for origin exclusives it's fine. I've been playing the chap out of Titanfall with no major issues. And I'd say their support is better than Steams now too. You can talk with someone in chat fairly quickly and generally they're good at resolving issues. Plus the guy gave me a 15% discount code just for contacting support.

I will still prefer to have stuff on steam, but an origin exclusive is probably not going to put me off any more.

on top of that, they are less on the ball about dodging region pricing so you can get cheaper games :ssh:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

If I buy a wireless 360 kit for windows, will I be able to use those "play and charge" cables that I see around? I want a controller that I can use wireless when it has charge, and then plug in seamlessly and use it while it is charging.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

http://soundswitch.codeplex.com/

Change your audio device via two clicks in your desktop toolbar. Done.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

BurritoJustice posted:

If I buy a wireless 360 kit for windows, will I be able to use those "play and charge" cables that I see around? I want a controller that I can use wireless when it has charge, and then plug in seamlessly and use it while it is charging.

You can but technically you are still wireless even with the Play and Charge cable plugged in. Also, a 4 pack of Eneloops (or other LSD) is enough to keep it charged for a long while.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

gariig posted:

You can but technically you are still wireless even with the Play and Charge cable plugged in. Also, a 4 pack of Eneloops (or other LSD) is enough to keep it charged for a long while.

Is the wireless latency noticeable enough for this to be a problem, do you think?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

BurritoJustice posted:

Is the wireless latency noticeable enough for this to be a problem, do you think?

Personally I don't think so. I'm sure the wireless adds a few extra ms but I've never really noticed it. It's nice not having one extra cord on my desk or using my front USB slots for a wired X-Box controller

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
This is going to be cool: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=481

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

gariig posted:

Personally I don't think so. I'm sure the wireless adds a few extra ms but I've never really noticed it. It's nice not having one extra cord on my desk or using my front USB slots for a wired X-Box controller

I will say that the few extra milliseconds of latency that are added to a *controller* (wireless vs. wired) is not noticeable to me at all. This is a totally different story for mouse input however, so if you're one of those ultra sensitive types it may be worth the extra consideration. I also totally agree with gariig on the cord thing.

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013
Came across this just now & hoping it's not to late to comment.

Pews posted:

Looking for a 'gaming' headset. I have a very nice pair of Sennheisers that have served me well for about 2 years. But I've been getting tired of using my webcam as a mic and I also need a headset with a mic for my PS4 as games are gonna start coming out soon that I actually want to play.

You should head over to http://www.modmic.com/ and see what you think of the ModMic 2.3. It looks like they are currently out of stock, but I have seriously considered buying a few of these the next time I see them around.

In short, it is an add-on microphone for your existing headphones. It also looks like the clasp would fit nicely over the Sennheiser logo on the 558's.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Any game you're playing with a controller won't have fine enough control that some extra latency would matter anway.

:pcgaming:pcmasterrace.txt:pcgaming:

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Edgy Bees posted:

You should head over to http://www.modmic.com/ and see what you think of the ModMic 2.3. It looks like they are currently out of stock, but I have seriously considered buying a few of these the next time I see them around.

In short, it is an add-on microphone for your existing headphones. It also looks like the clasp would fit nicely over the Sennheiser logo on the 558's.

As much as I want one of these as well, they seem to be perpetually out of stock. I've been watching them for the last two years or so (maybe checking every few months), and there's never any to be had. Oh well, signed up for their newsletter, maybe I'll finally get me one.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Edgy Bees posted:

I appreciate the advice as I haven't picked out a new pair yet, but I'm really looking for something with 5.1 surround. And I don't think that mic will work double duty with the PS4 too like I want it to.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I really don't know how Microsoft managed to become the go to PC gamepad.

Wanted to replace my wired 360 controller I've been using since the 360 launch today so I can play some Dark Souls this weekend.

Can I use the Xbox One controller on PC? No
Can I get the updated 360 model with the transforming D-Pad with a PC adapter? No
Can I get the transforming d-pad version in a color that doesn't hurt my eyes to look at? Only bundled with a useless play and charge kit.
Can I buy the wireless receiver on its own? Only online and it will be a knockoff.

So I guess I am stopping at best buy on the way home from work to get Microsoft's 3rd best controller. :shepspends:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Logitech gamepads are Xinput compatible and I like mine better than my old 360 gamepad.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000117-Gamepad-F710/dp/B0041RR0TW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398442985&sr=1-1&keywords=f710

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
The Logitech gamepads are actually more compatible than the 360 ones. They also have better dpads, IMO.

What it will probably come down to in the end is your preference for an XBOX or PS style layout. I don't mind the PS layout and the 310 is excellent, AND cheap.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The problem I've been having with my Logitech F310 is unbelievably huge deadzones on the sticks. Something like 30-40% of their range of movement is dead, then *snap*. It's making navigating in Dark Souls (and now Dark Souls 2, but I think there's a separate bug there) really aggravating.

My wired 360 controller's stick has the opposite problem, though, the deadzone's too small for there the stick neutrally sits so I slowly walk to my doom if I set the controller down.

i can't win :saddowns:

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009
I want to use my wireless Xbox 360 controller on my PC. Does it matter which dongle I get off of Amazon or are they all the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Ciaphas posted:

The problem I've been having with my Logitech F310 is unbelievably huge deadzones on the sticks. Something like 30-40% of their range of movement is dead, then *snap*. It's making navigating in Dark Souls (and now Dark Souls 2, but I think there's a separate bug there) really aggravating.

My wired 360 controller's stick has the opposite problem, though, the deadzone's too small for there the stick neutrally sits so I slowly walk to my doom if I set the controller down.

i can't win :saddowns:

Try getting them to mate so their offspring cancel out the issues.

Also, is Logitech G600 a good mouse? The number of macro buttons seem a bit awkward?

• Locked thread