Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Shath Hole posted:

haha, I promise you I haven't read any of the books! I listened to half the audio book of the first book, however, that was it. It's just not hard to put 2 and 2 together sometimes, ya dig? I see your name as the last poster in the Spoilers thread all the time, so I know you have read the books and would love to pick your brain sometime, but I don't have PM :(

Go read already! You can pick my brain all you want but reading is infinitely better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Man, I tried reading the first book. That George RR Martin does nothing to ease you into his world.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Doltos posted:

Go read already! You can pick my brain all you want but reading is infinitely better.

That would require :effort:

2 jobs and 3 kids, I don't have much time for reading. Besides, I kinda like being surprised. I will probably make an effort to read/listen to the books after this season is over.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It took Feast for Crows so long to come out that I couldn't get back into it, I think I'd have to reread from the beginning

Just like it'll be a feast for crows after ClownWatt decimates QBs around the league :v:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

Just like it'll be a feast for crows after ClownWatt decimates QBs around the league :v:

Do they play Baltimore this year?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Intruder posted:

It took Feast for Crows so long to come out that I couldn't get back into it, I think I'd have to reread from the beginning

You mean Feast of Picks when the Texans rape the Falcons in a few weeks :(

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
ah good off topic tv chat and casual use of the word rape in the only thread that might contain news in this forum right now

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

Do they play Baltimore this year?

Yes actually

Shath Hole posted:

You mean Feast of Picks when the Texans rape the Falcons in a few weeks :(

I can't see the Texans making a deal that isn't essentially "We'll take Clowney and if Mack or whoever we're targeting is still on the board at 6 we'll trade, else we'll keep this Clowney guy"

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Don't turn this into the hockey threads with all the animated gifs and comparisons as to who is what character on what team, seriously.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Clowney and Watt would be really loving cool but if the Texans get offered a billion high picks to trade out I don't know if you can turn it down.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Clowney and Watt would be really loving cool but if the Texans get offered a billion high picks to trade out I don't know if you can turn it down.

Yeah there's no way Clowney is worth a bunch of picks when you have J.J. Watt and need a quarterback

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Detroit_Dogg posted:

No one's going to offer a billion high picks though. Sure if Atlanta offers 1-6+2-5+1-2015+2-2015 then take it, but that ain't happening

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

^^^ Do you even know who Thomas Dimitroff is?

Intruder posted:

I can't see the Texans making a deal that isn't essentially "We'll take Clowney and if Mack or whoever we're targeting is still on the board at 6 we'll trade, else we'll keep this Clowney guy"

I hope you are right, because while the idea of Clowney in Black and Red is so appealing, that price is way too much.

Rap posted:

ah good off topic tv chat and casual use of the word rape in the only thread that might contain news in this forum right now

Stop being a baby, there ain't nothing but rumors and smoke screens going right now.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Final Fantasy Tactics is a much better interpretation of the War of the Roses than the Game of Thrones

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

There were literally only a half dozen posts that were off topic before conversation shifted back to the draft

e:

PrinceRandom posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics is a much better interpretation of the War of the Roses than the Game of Thrones

welp

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Intruder posted:

No one's going to offer a billion high picks though. Sure if Atlanta offers 1-6+2-5+1-2015+2-2015 then take it, but that ain't happening

I mean if they get offered something RG3 esque. So around swapping 1's in 2014, a 2nd in 2014, and a 1st in 2015 and 2016. But probably a little bit extra since you're talking about the #1 overall pick instead of the #2 (not that it should really matter to be fair).

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I mean if they get offered something RG3 esque. So around swapping 1's in 2014, a 2nd in 2014, and a 1st in 2015 and 2016. But probably a little bit extra since you're talking about the #1 overall pick instead of the #2 (not that it should really matter to be fair).

I read somewhere that they couldn't do a draft and trade like the Giants and Chargers did with Rivers and Eli...why is that? Something about money?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

^^^ That would be news to me

On the other hand, I'd rather have RG3 (as he was coming out of college, before FedEx destroyed what remained of his knee) than anyone in this draft

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ed Werder said this:

The rookie slot for No. 1 pick is $4.03M; No. 6 is $2.97. So that probably means Texans can't take Jadeveon Clowney, then trade him.

:shrug:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm not sure I understand where he's drawing that conclusion from if he's using the slot amounts as the sole basis of his reasoning

If there's some rule he should have said "by the way there's this rule..."

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Intruder posted:

I'm not sure I understand where he's drawing that conclusion from if he's using the slot amounts as the sole basis of his reasoning

If there's some rule he should have said "by the way there's this rule..."

I'm unsure as well...I was hoping someone could shed some light on it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shath Hole posted:

^^^ Do you even know who Thomas Dimitroff is?

I hope you are right, because while the idea of Clowney in Black and Red is so appealing, that price is way too much.

Stop being a baby, there ain't nothing but rumors and smoke screens going right now.

C'mon son, you know Blitz is a troll.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Detroit_Dogg posted:

There's another twist, being that he isn't a QB, is Clowney going to command the same kind of trade value that RG3 did? A starting QB is worth so much more to a franchise than a starting DE.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

There's another twist, being that he isn't a QB, is Clowney going to command the same kind of trade value that RG3 did? A starting QB is worth so much more to a franchise than a starting DE.

This is true. Kirk Cousins' value is immeasurable.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think it doesn't quite matter what position it is, the value of the picks are always greater than the value of the position. It just so happens that people value QBs higher than most and would be willing to trade up for them.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

So the fact that Houston sounds like they are entertaining this idea of moving back means in their heart of hearts they realize they need to take a QB with their first pick, but don't think any of the QB's available are worthy of the #1 overall pick?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Shath Hole posted:

So the fact that Houston sounds like they are entertaining this idea of moving back means in their heart of hearts they realize they need to take a QB with their first pick, but don't think any of the QB's available are worthy of the #1 overall pick?

Yeah, does anyone think the absolute best player in the draft is anyone but Clowney?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It means they think they can get extra picks and still get a big time player, which may be true. I'll be very cross if they trade back and take one of the tackles though, very cross indeed

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Shath Hole posted:

That would be my guess. One of the top 3 QBs will be available a few picks down so why not fleece a team out of some firsts, get the most important position on the field, and use the rest to build around him later

I'd honestly be really curious to hear a GM comment on the draft being pushed back, if it helps them make better decisions and let everything settle a bit further. More time to scout.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 25, 2014

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

It means they think they can get extra picks and still get a big time player, which may be true. I'll be very cross if they trade back and take one of the tackles though, very cross indeed

Houston should definitely draft another receiving option.

Which when you think about it is about as smart as drafting a DE when you've got no one under center.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rap posted:

Yeah, does anyone think the absolute best player in the draft is anyone but Clowney?

Clowney/Robinson/Watkins look like the three safest to me and you can't go wrong picking one. Robinson is kinda iffy though when you compare him to Matthews resume.

But yeah, I do think Clowney absolutely is the best player in this draft.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

Clowney/Robinson/Watkins look like the three safest to me and you can't go wrong picking one. Robinson is kinda iffy though when you compare him to Matthews resume.

But yeah, I do think Clowney absolutely is the best player in this draft.

Thoughts on Mack?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I think Mack will have a better Pro career than Clowney

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Rap posted:

He absolutely is. Houston is in a real tough spot, I do not envy them...although if they can completely stockpile high picks and still get the QB they want most they win.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

Thoughts on Mack?

Forgot about Mack, put him up there with those three.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Thoughts on Mack?

From what I've see of Mack, the guy looks like a wrecker. If the Falcons could get him at 6, take him every loving time; the problem is I can see him going #2 overall easily.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

From what I've see of Mack, the guy looks like a wrecker. If the Falcons could get him at 6, take him every loving time; the problem is I can see him going #2 overall easily.

Mack doesn't make it out of top 3. STL or Jax is getting him. It would cost much less for Atlanta to trade into one of those spots and pick up Mack, that gets my vote.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Mack is fantastic. I really think he's underrated when compared to clowney

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 25, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
^^^I don't know about that; Clowney got doubled way more often than Mack and often offenses just plain refused to run towards his side of the field. Mack is just really good by comparison.

Intruder posted:

Thoughts on Mack?

I was really high on Mack until I watched his Ohio State and Baylor games. He'd be a great ILB (and a monster with Lavonte David in Tampa Bay), but he gets held up by decent Tackles too much.

If we trade down to No. 6 I'd love to take Mack and put him at ILB next to Cush due to his blitzing and coverage ability, but I'd worry about his ability to play OLB, even going against Right Tackles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

So this bio-mechanical test the Falcons are putting Clowney through today are basically tests for range of motion in joints that ultimately show the movement and stabilization of the joints. I guess they do this to see if the player has any bio-mech flaws that will cause breakdown of the joints down the road.

I had never heard of this test, so this is all news to me.

• Locked thread