Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

He doesn't recognize the validity of ANY federal claims, he doesn't care about the history of a particular area.

he's making the land productive so it's his by right, or so the libertarian theory goes (this is how they thread the needle of seizing the land from natives.)

Overgrazing, what's that? Tragedy of the what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
edit: double post, what's that?

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 25, 2014

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
And it gets better!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/24/cliven-bundy-comments_n_5208399.html

quote:

"Cliven Bundy's a-wondering about these people," said Bundy, referring to himself in the third person. "Now I'm talking about the black community. I'm a-wondering. Are they better off with their young women aborting their children? Are they better off with the young men in prison? Are they better off with the older people on their sidewalks in front of their government-issued homes with a few children? Are they better off, are they happier than they was in the South in front of their homes with their chickens and their gardens and their children around them, and their man having something to do? Are they better off?"

Meaning when they were slaves.
Looks like CPAC has a definite mainstage speaker next year.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Bait and Swatch posted:

It's hard to claim you've been grazing the contested land for over 100 years when the ranch next to the land in question wasn't even in your family until the 1940s.

Not when you don't give two shits about land rights to begin with. From what we've seen so far, there's no reason to assume Bundy or his family limit their cattle grazing to land they actually have permission to use.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Lycus posted:

I have a right to drive across this army base, I don't recognize federal claims!
He is in Nevada. He could be the hero to finally blow the lid off Area 51.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

And it gets better!

My favorite thing about this whole mess is that republicans are back pedaling as hard as they can now.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc
Why backpedal when you can just not talk about it anymore? No need to admit you're wrong. They've done it with every other one of these dudes that turns out to not be what they hope he is.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

happyhippy posted:

And it gets better!

"Now they abort their babies denying plantation owners their right to sell them for profit."

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Please tell me you guys heard Hannity yesterday interviewing a couple who bought land inside a national forest and are now mad that the nation forest service wants that land.

The gist of the argument was that these people bought 10 acres of land in a national forest with no external access, then started using an old discarded logging road for access.
Then they were told "You can't use that land for access, it's part of the national forest.".
Their response was to sue the county for access rights. Which they lost. Then went on national radio to bitch about how the conservation department was in the wrong and how they want the land. The forest service wants to use their 10 acres to trade for 10 other acres of more accesable land with another park. Hannity goes "OH..they. want. the. MONEY." Which the couple agrees to.
Then the real, REAL facts filter out. They paid $500,000 for the property and now it's assessed at $20-40k.
Hannity, it a brief moment of clarity, straightens up and says "Wait, why did you pay $500,000 for a piece of property valued at $30,000?" To which, the couple pause, and stammer out "well that's their recent evaluation, the remainder of the value is at the other 2 acres where a cabin is." And he asks "Well how much was THAT assessed for?" and the lady responds "Well that was evaluated at, and includes the land and they say $40,000." and that's the end of the interview.
Basically, these people got swindled into paying $500,000 for 12 acres of protected land worth a grand total of $40,000 and feel they have the god given right to build their own driveway through lands they don't own, through protected forest-lands and sued the government over it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I think the problem with that is that while his immediate parents are nouveau, he did have relatives in the area dating back a century.

It doesn't matter though. Let's assume that he does have family that dated back to the 1870's in that specific area. His family had more than enough time to make a claim and own that land he's been using illegally. So, either he's lying his loving rear end off or he's just another descendant in a long line of retards.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Yeah, I heard that. The other thing that caught my ear was that the dude was talking about how "they" said he couldn't harvest pine cones anymore on his land. He harvested pine cones to be used for "boy scout fundraising Christmas wreaths" which seemed like a weasel way to present what he does. I assume he has or is working with an organization that sells Christmas wreaths, to the Boy Scouts etc., for fundraising purposes.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Yeah, I heard that. The other thing that caught my ear was that the dude was talking about how "they" said he couldn't harvest pine cones anymore on his land. He harvested pine cones to be used for "boy scout fundraising Christmas wreaths" which seemed like a weasel way to present what he does. I assume he has or is working with an organization that sells Christmas wreaths, to the Boy Scouts etc., for fundraising purposes.

YES, exactly, and that's what he was paying for. He spent $500,000 dollars because he was profiting off harvesting pine cones to sell to the boy scouts who use them to sell to the public.
Literally spent half a million dollars on real estate to profit on selling pine cones to the boy scouts, then bitched when he was called out for using the land illegally in his honest to god pine cone selling scam.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

beatlegs posted:

If anything they're upset that he lacks the "artfulness" of a polished right wing media surrogate. It's okay to suggest blacks are lazy and entitled, just don't use the word "negro". It polls horribly.

Yeah, exactly. Really not a whole lot of daylight between his views about "the negro" and Paul Ryan's view about "lazy urban youths"

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Anyone catch the name of the couple? I see the typical "rich person bilks a poor/less-rich person clearly this the fault of the government!" libertarian slight-of-hand there but the story is just confusing in a lot of ways.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Like clockwork...

http://thinkprogress.org/media/2014/04/25/3430830/cliven-bundy-mlk/

Cliven Bundy posted:

But you know, when you talk about prejudice, we’re talking about not being able to exercise what we think and our feelings. We don’t have freedom to say what we want. If I call — if I say negro or black boy or slave, I’m not — if those people cannot take those kind of words and not be offended, then Martin Luther King hasn’t got his job done then yet.

Yes I'm sure if Mr. King was alive today he would be giving fiery speeches in support of 67 year old white men's right to invite "the negros" back into slavery for their own good. He also gave the "maybe I..." brand of nopology and told everyone they aren't ALLOWED to be offended about this because he said so, so mark those off your bingo cards too.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 25, 2014

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
hahah, wow "Martin Luther King hasn’t got his job done then yet."
That's just...whoa. Like a new level there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I can't get over that he thinks the problem is that he called them negroes.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Only when you and I can call black people "Boy" will anyone ever truly be free. :911:

Definite CPAC keynote material.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

hahah, wow "Martin Luther King hasn’t got his job done then yet."
That's just...whoa. Like a new level there.

Isn't this the equivalent of Bundy saying "as long as people like me are still around MLK has failed"?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Haha, goddamn, that's something else alright. "Well, if those black people still get offended when I say racist things then I suppose the onus is on them to work harder at getting over themselves already!"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I also like how a guy who was given a national bullhorn for 48 hours is now complaining about "not being able to exercise what we think and our feelings". I'm pretty sure you're in the predicament you're in now because you did exactly that. We all know exactly what you think about black people now, no one stopped you.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
*knock knock* Get up and do your job, black boy. Your job isn't finished yet.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

You guys missed his awesome non-apology:

"I should be able to say those things and they shouldn’t offend anybody. I didn’t mean to offend them.”"

Translation:

"I'm not sorry you were upset but have to pretend I am. Now let's put this whole thing behind us except the part about me not being able to say whatever I want without repercussions."

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Cliven Bundy is like a Kobayashi-Maru scenario of indefensibility. Every time they think they can stick up for him, Bundy ups the stakes.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Talking about Bundy today at lunch I said the next thing out of that rear end in a top hat's mounth will be something about "freedom of speech" and not understanding what that really means. I'm glad Bundy managed to do just that and top it off with MLK. Guess its been a month or two since a conservative pulled the "MLK is on our side!" card, ugh.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
It sure is an amazing coincidence that every right-wing folk hero who comes along turns out to be a monstrous racist. What are the odds?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bunleigh posted:

It sure is an amazing coincidence that every right-wing folk hero who comes along turns out to be a monstrous racist. What are the odds?

At least they are not as racist as Real Racist Eric Holder.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

bobservo posted:

You guys missed his awesome non-apology:

"I should be able to say those things and they shouldn’t offend anybody. I didn’t mean to offend them.”"

Translation:

"I'm not sorry you were upset but have to pretend I am. Now let's put this whole thing behind us except the part about me not being able to say whatever I want without repercussions."

There's a lot of power hiding in that little construction. In a year they'll be demanding the right to stand their ground against people who say they are offended.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I think it's an indicator of the corner that the GOP ended up writing themselves into over the years. One of their core demographics is "cranky old white racists" so they kind of need to to listen to them. On the other hand, that demographic is shrinking and other demographics don't like voting for the GOP because they do things that please cranky old white racists.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BiggerBoat posted:

I flipped by Fox and Friends this morning and they had some married couple from Texas on who were raging about the government takin' their land and poo poo. I didn't stay tuned long enough to figure it all out.

Big Beef City posted:

Please tell me you guys heard Hannity yesterday interviewing a couple who bought land inside a national forest and are now mad that the nation forest service wants that land.

The gist of the argument was that these people bought 10 acres of land in a national forest with no external access, then started using an old discarded logging road for access.
Then they were told "You can't use that land for access, it's part of the national forest.".
Their response was to sue the county for access rights. Which they lost. Then went on national radio to bitch about how the conservation department was in the wrong and how they want the land. The forest service wants to use their 10 acres to trade for 10 other acres of more accesable land with another park. Hannity goes "OH..they. want. the. MONEY." Which the couple agrees to.
Then the real, REAL facts filter out. They paid $500,000 for the property and now it's assessed at $20-40k.
Hannity, it a brief moment of clarity, straightens up and says "Wait, why did you pay $500,000 for a piece of property valued at $30,000?" To which, the couple pause, and stammer out "well that's their recent evaluation, the remainder of the value is at the other 2 acres where a cabin is." And he asks "Well how much was THAT assessed for?" and the lady responds "Well that was evaluated at, and includes the land and they say $40,000." and that's the end of the interview.
Basically, these people got swindled into paying $500,000 for 12 acres of protected land worth a grand total of $40,000 and feel they have the god given right to build their own driveway through lands they don't own, through protected forest-lands and sued the government over it.

That's what I saw but I didn't have the stomach to sit through it. Somehow my instincts said "I wonder if there's more to this story?" Turns out there was.

Wait. You can sell pine cones? poo poo. I'm a loving millionaire.

edit:

huh. I wonder why MLK "never finished his job". Did something happen to him?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 25, 2014

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

skaboomizzy posted:

Rachel Maddow just spent over 20 minutes tying Bundy's statements to the sovereign citizen movement, the "posse comitatus" movement, all the way back to the 1870s anti-Reconstructin stuff that declared that county sheriffs are the supreme level of law enforcement. She is amazed that apparently NOBODY saw the "Let me tell you another thing about negroes" stuff coming since it's all part of one philosophy.

This was a really, really good piece. Check it out at the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB8Oi1ARq3M

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

YES, exactly, and that's what he was paying for. He spent $500,000 dollars because he was profiting off harvesting pine cones to sell to the boy scouts who use them to sell to the public.
Literally spent half a million dollars on real estate to profit on selling pine cones to the boy scouts, then bitched when he was called out for using the land illegally in his honest to god pine cone selling scam.

I really don't understand. Even if you were harvesting those solid gold pine cones for Boy Scout bucks, how do you let yourself pay more than ten times what the land is worth?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Wait. You can sell pine cones? poo poo. I'm a loving millionaire.

Dying for Mark Trail's pinecone profit$.

e: You know all this talk of many acres of land for $40K really makes me want to get some. But I don't know if I'd really get out to the sticks on the weekends enough to justify it.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 25, 2014

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mercury_Storm posted:

Fox really needs to have a show dedicated to teaching their viewer base about the proper words to use when expressing insightful racial ideals on great topics such as slavery, abortion, and so on. I mean, how many American Heroes have gone off message and are run through by the liberal media ringer?

Someone like Glen Beck could come on with a blackboard and pointer and be like:

"No not negro or colored... instead say 'inner city'."

"Not wetback or illegal alien, just 'illegal' will suffice."

"Not white pride or white burden, it's 'celebrating our heritage'."

This actually already happened with Republican efforts towards Latino outreach. The party leadership tried to reach out to Latinos in a way that included messaging training, on not saying phrases like "electric fence" and "send them all back, and trying to get them to not say that all Latinos are immigrants or that all immigrants are illegal.

Naturally, Representative Don Young of Alaska immediately gave a radio interview on how, when he was a child, his family "used to hire about fifty to sixty wetbacks".

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SedanChair posted:

Dying for Mark Trail's pinecone profit$.

e: You know all this talk of many acres of land for $40K really makes me want to get some. But I don't know if I'd really get out to the sticks on the weekends enough to justify it.

Mark Trail would be using his mighty fist of justice to punch these people off the protected land.

One of my friends/co-workers bought some of this kind of cheapish land and built a house on it in the middle of nowhere and it sounds like a nightmare. His driveway is literally a mile long so he has to own a car that can deal with the snow or just get stuck, the cable company won't install internet lines for him, I think he had to fight for a year before the telephone people would even put in a land line, trees fall on his property or on his drive way constantly, mice from the forest eat the cables underneath his car, randomly bears will wander into his trash, etc.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It doesn't really matter that Bundy is a racist poo poo, they didn't want to make him a politician. He gave them a story to show the government doing [anything at all] as an example of overreach, and let them segue into a Harry Reid Is Corrupt derail along the way. The story already happened, they don't need him anymore. His racist babblings will just be used when he's inevitably arrested as "See Obama just locks up people for saying racist things, yea he didn't pay taxes but neither did Al Sharpton and he isn't being arrested, I wonder why?".

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tender Bender posted:

It doesn't really matter that Bundy is a racist poo poo, they didn't want to make him a politician. He gave them a story to show the government doing [anything at all] as an example of overreach, and let them segue into a Harry Reid Is Corrupt derail along the way. The story already happened, they don't need him anymore. His racist babblings will just be used when he's inevitably arrested as "See Obama just locks up people for saying racist things, yea he didn't pay taxes but neither did Al Sharpton and he isn't being arrested, I wonder why?".

He was a potential Joe the Plumber V2.0. A better potential.
An average man, average job that is so American there are few more American than it, and he was going to be a MAJOR poster boy for everything anti-government for the next 2 years.
I joked he was going to be a next year CPAC speaker, that would be probably true if he didn't say this poo poo. Tell me you can't see a standing ovation for this shitheel at a convention somewhere as he takes the podium at some sort of Republican meeting.

The GOP are not lamenting how he is saying this crap now, they are lamenting that they can't use him to score political points any more. And the pay off for hyping him for 2 weeks now is clouding the GUBMENT STEALING AMERICAN FREEDOM message they want to get out.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kind of the opposite of the thread's intent, but...

I've been trying to listen to Stephanie Miller and Ed Schultz lately.

I have to say, it's kind of interesting to flip back and forth between the two.

I'm finding Michelangelo Signorile and Mark Thompson kind of dull though.

Hartman is a give or take with me.

I like the fact that Miller seems to have quite a few good comedians on her show. TV's Frank, and Carlos Alazraqui (Reno 911, Rocko's Modern Life) seem to be regulars.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

Dave Weigel, who really is a luminary in parsing right wing gobbledygook proposed a good theory of why it matters:

Dave Weigel posted:

Bundy had the potential to become a galvanizing figure for a cause that's hard to get people excited about. For a very long time, conservatives have been campaigning to take back federal lands, give them to the states, and let businesses or farms—or whatever—develop them. Having spent many hours inside the air-conditioned ballrooms of conservative conferences like AFP's "Defending the American Dream Summit," I've seen presentations about the government's choke-hold on usable land. Other reporters, who've tracked legislation in Western states, have watched Arizona and Utah pass bills demanding the feds turn over tens of millions of acres to the states.

The problem, as Jessica Goad and Tom Kenworthy noted, was that Western voters didn't care. By at least a 2–1 margin in a recent Colorado College State of the Rockies survey, they did not think "having too much public land" was a problem. Enter Cliven Bundy. His years-long battle with the feds came to a head last month, and conservatives from Arizona Rep. Paul Gosar to Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul to likely next governor of Texas Greg Abbott rallied to him. As liberal Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva noted in a letter to the Department of the Interior, it had been just one year since Bundy testified in favor of a Nevada land bill. The state, said Bundy, had "a moral claim upon the public land." No one cared then, but all of a sudden, Bundy had allies. Even GOP pollster Frank Luntz, who does not pick losers, was stirring the pot.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/04/24/why_cliven_bundy_s_gaffe_matters_his_cause_needed_a_hero.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
A conversation about whether the federal government should own as much land as it does would be totally reasonable. It's not an issue I care about personally (being all city-fied and stuff), but the racist with weird delusions of the federal government not existing is very nearly the worst possible figurehead for it.

The Ape of Naples posted:

Isn't this the equivalent of Bundy saying "as long as people like me are still around MLK has failed"?
It ought to be, but apparently he thinks that the people taking offense at his (blatantly offensive) comments are the problem.