Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

mrkillboy posted:

How else would they unload a ship in the future?

They do use these kind of tippers with bins that are moved around by rail. Not coal boats but bins full of sugar cane at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mrkillboy posted:

I always love these things which are showing images of the future which still have contemporary technology in them. Yes in the future we will have a device to flip boats over! But why? To unload coal into our steam trains of course!

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

mrkillboy posted:

The skipper grumbles about having to rearrange his cabin every single time they do this. And he wonders if he lost any more crewmen who picked a bad time to take a nap onboard.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

IMJack posted:

The skipper grumbles about having to rearrange his cabin every single time they do this. And he wonders if he lost any more crewmen who picked a bad time to take a nap onboard.

Not to mention oil and fuel.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I thought it was a hovering future train.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
To be fair, this one pretty much came about in the Falkirk Wheel, except instead of unloading boats it's used to connect two canal systems, one of which is 23 meters higher than the other.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wouldn't be just any m4 it would be one of those with a flamethrower instead.

Burn burn burn
!

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

One Swell Foop posted:

To be fair, this one pretty much came about in the Falkirk Wheel, except instead of unloading boats it's used to connect two canal systems, one of which is 23 meters higher than the other.

I love this thing! It's such an elegant looking piece of engineering, and a great thing to watch in action. :scotland:

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study

Mithra6 posted:

The stirrup bell bottoms make the outfit.

That comic was a bad pants memory trigger. I used to have to wear those pants as a kid. The pair I hated the most was pink corduroy. Yes I am old.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

One Swell Foop posted:

Critically the wheel doesn't turn boats upside down. It might be more fun if it did mind you, although less useful.

Irving
Jun 21, 2003

cobalt impurity posted:

The 50s were so prudish you couldn't even show married couples' bedrooms with a single bed because god forbid anyone think a young married couple was boning! Television Standards & Practices censorship has always been more than a little weird.

It's super weird because if you see old Betty Boop cartoons it's pretty clear that there was some saucy material coming out in the 40s.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
You know nothing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Irving posted:

It's super weird because if you see old Betty Boop cartoons it's pretty clear that there was some saucy material coming out in the 40s.

Movies got away with a lot of poo poo in the pre-code days.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Irving posted:

If I live to be a thousand I will never understand the appeal of Betty Boop.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I could totally take on five or six kids with diabetes. Probably seven or eight if it was type-2, those fuckers are fat and slow.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I could totally take on five or six kids with diabetes. Probably seven or eight if it was type-2, those fuckers are fat and slow.

edit: sorry. It used to not be a spam site. Ignore this.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Apr 25, 2014

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

TinTower posted:

You know nothing.

Haha, this took me a second because it's been a while since I saw Game Of Thrones.

To head off the inevitable, that's Jon Snow with Jon Snow.

Before anyone clicks this, take note that it's one of those lovely sites that'll let you do the quiz then demand some personal information before you can look at the answer.

Also, the point of that question is to incite some funny hypothetical discussion. If you outsource the invention of an arbitrary numerical answer to some quiz written by a moron to round up email addresses for spam, you have murdered some fun.

Roger Tangerines has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Apr 25, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I'm no hawkologist, but I'm relatively sure a knife in one claw is actually less dangerous than the claw it replaces.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm no hawkologist, but I'm relatively sure a knife in one claw is actually less dangerous than the claw it replaces.

Finns :rolleyes:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Wings! :eng101:

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

for some reason my favorite part is DINNER. DINNER. DINNER. DINNER.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

for some reason my favorite part is DINNER. DINNER. DINNER. DINNER.
My husband actually figured out that part is supposed to be read as the NANANANANANA before the BATMAAAAN BAPMAAAAN.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ofaloaf posted:

There's an issue where the M3 Stuart haunted by General Stuart meets a M4 Sherman haunted by General Sherman. I've never read it, but I want to so very dearly.

They did a new one where the descendant of Stuart was black. Both were fairly surprised and unhappy about the news.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

kinmik posted:

My husband actually figured out that part is supposed to be read as the NANANANANANA before the BATMAAAAN BAPMAAAAN.

If that's intentional, honestly it's kind of brilliant.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Captain Trips posted:

If I live to be a thousand I will never understand the appeal of Betty Boop.

Great music and off the wall animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1GZDkk2gXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwW_WrAk4Kk

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

mrkillboy posted:

Almost every paint roller I have used has threads on the bottom that will fit just about any broom handle out there.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smrhjv0qleM

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mrkillboy posted:

Its gotta be intentional. Its printed on a sign.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

kinmik posted:

You sure about that?

DIN-NER

DIN-NER

DINNERDINNER

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This ceiling tile stain looked a bit like Beavis to me.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

The situation in this picture is very similar to one that led to my dad falling and suffering a spinal injury. The only reason he was on the ladder is because I told him I wouldn't do it because it was dangerous. He's dead now. The funny picture thread has made me sad today.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Kobogartimer posted:

The situation in this picture is very similar to one that led to my dad falling and suffering a spinal injury. The only reason he was on the ladder is because I told him I wouldn't do it because it was dangerous. He's dead now. The funny picture thread has made me sad today.

How'd he die?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Natural causes

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

mrkillboy posted:

This picture looks loving horrible but it doesn't actually seem like the ladder could fall, since it's braced against the railing. I guess it would be pretty easy to fall while getting on and off the ladder, though.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If only there was a longer ladder just outside the door below them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, it doesn't seem that much different than if he was 20 feet up against a wall with a long ladder braced on the ground. It's braced well enough as it is, but a fall in either case would be about the same.

Plus, that other guy has his hand on it. His hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

RCarr posted:

If only there was a longer ladder just outside the door below them.

So they are just going to put that larger ladder on the stair case? The way its set up is pretty drat stable, sure its a massive safety violation and there are better ways but its stable.

• Locked thread