Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I meant the mage who sells you spells, near those exploding zombies. Also miracle lady isn't in Heidi tower anymore but can't find her in Madaja either.

She's technically in Majula you just aren't looking in the right place. Head down the tunnel to Heide's Tower of Flame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Finally, we have the game we were all waiting for. The Groose is loose.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

People find it hard to agree whether Demon's or Dark Souls is the better game and happily Dark Souls II joins that discussion. It's probably the only series I know of where opinion is virtually split evenly across the board on each game. FROM knows exactly what makes the Souls games tick.

The PC port is a definitely better out of the box.

:haw:

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I meant the mage who sells you spells, near those exploding zombies. Also miracle lady isn't in Heidi tower anymore but can't find her in Madaja either.

Gotcha. That miracle lady is in the same tunnel you went through to go to Heide's tower. You'll notice that the flame above the tunnel is now lit!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fuuuck weapon degradation sucks since it sneaks up on you. Died because my spear broke mid battle and I couldn't pull out repair powder or a different weapon before getting skewered. You really need to keep an eye on that little red bar in extended exploration sessions.

EDIT: This loving Wharf :lol:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 25, 2014

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Fuuuck weapon degradation sucks since it sneaks up on you. Died because my spear broke mid battle and I couldn't pull out repair powder or a different weapon before getting skewered. You really need to keep an eye on that little red bar in extended exploration sessions.

There's actually a weapon durability stat that you can look at on the weapon as well- higher is better, obviously.

Also, never not have a back-up weapon ready!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Also you need to pull out the repair powder before it breaks.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I just got invaded by Trusty Patches. :allears:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What the hell is up with KBM controls? Half the time when I click to attack the game just doesn't register it and I stand around doing nothing while getting horribly murdered.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Omniblivion posted:

The mage chick that you unpetrified was blocking a lever. Try pulling the lever and get ready to fight a shitton of strong dudes when you do

Sounds like he was talking about Straid in the Bastille, not Rosabeth.

scamtank posted:

There's a tunnel entrance next to the cliffside path that leads to the Victor Stone. It leads you to a little sewery bit.

When you reach daylight again, your goal is the big cathedral visible to your left. Hit up the bonfire to the right and put on your evasion face. You're going to be running past nearly a dozen of those big corroded hulks.

It's also worth keeping in mind that those guys will follow you for a really a long time and just sprinting past them, he'll probably end up in a bad way once he gets to the guy he has to kill.

Internet Kraken posted:

Repair powder will not fix a fully broken weapon, you have to take it back to a blacksmith at that point. Repair powder is useful for keeping your weapon in good condition during extended exploration though.

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013
Does DS2 save to the steam cloud or is it only a local save? I'm planning to reformat within the week and want to know if I need to backup my savefile or not.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I legit don't get how people ever played Dark Souls with a mouse. Not enough buttons and it also was incredibly janky in Dark Souls 1, and from the sound of things is the same way in DS2.

I just play with a keyboard. I control the camera with the numpad and also have all my attack keys bound to it. Its nothing like the default control scheme but it works well for me.

Kimmalah posted:

Repair powder will not fix a fully broken weapon, you have to take it back to a blacksmith at that point. Repair powder is useful for keeping your weapon in good condition during extended exploration though.

Yeah I know that, though I didn't really make it clear in my post. If you don't have the powder on your equip bar you can't really pull it out with enemies around though, and a weapon breaks like one swing after the warning pops up. Lesson learned I suppose.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Also doing an invasion or getting summoned will repair your gear if you succeed. If your gear starts getting low, but down a small white sign or put on a belltower ring.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Lionguild posted:

Does DS2 save to the steam cloud or is it only a local save? I'm planning to reformat within the week and want to know if I need to backup my savefile or not.

There is no indication that it saves to the steam cloud. I'd backup your save. Not sure where it's located though.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Well, I beat him with the ballista but I feel like I cheated. :( I hate how I got him down to low health at least 3 times before I kept loving up, but at least I got my souls out of his room.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

So it seems my game freezes whenever I receive damage. For some strange reason disconnecting the controller unfreezes the game. Apparently a few other people are having the same issue.

Anyone here has dealt with that issue and solved it? I want to play this game dammit :(

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I know that, though I didn't really make it clear in my post. If you don't have the powder on your equip bar you can't really pull it out with enemies around though, and a weapon breaks like one swing after the warning pops up. Lesson learned I suppose.

Yeah sorry, I didn't mean to treat you like an idiot I just thought I'd make sure you knew. There are items that you will find eventually that can slow equipment degradation, but main thing is just keep an eye on condition and carry back-ups.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
I am having a blast so far especially since the keyboard+mouse controls are actually viable unlike Dark Souls. I've yet to figure out how to lock on to a target with the keyboard yet which has caused a few dumb death especially with Orstein Old Dragon Slayer.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Enjoying this game, didn't play DaS1 and struggle with DS on PS3 back when it came out.

I really enjoy the feeling of.. "carving out" the open world. I'm sitting at work mulling over all corridors I passed or areas I had to hold off on due to difficulty.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I can't remember the last time a game had fun piracy protection. The screamer is a hilarious way to identify someone who stole the game. They're pissed! Thanks from software. :allears:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Liquid Penguins posted:

I can't remember the last time a game had fun piracy protection. The screamer is a hilarious way to identify someone who stole the game. They're pissed! Thanks from software. :allears:

What is the piracy protection in this game? I can't find a video on youtube :(

The last game with good piracy protection was Game Dev Story, a game where you run a company that makes video games, and in the pirated version after a year or so your company would fail because everyone was pirating your games instead of buying them :colbert:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Everything feels so sluggish. The delay raising my shield has killed me so many times. With the cleric and the starting mace, it feels like an absolute eternity if I whiff and turn myself into an all-you-can-stab buffet. Pumped adaptability to 8 and it seems a bit better. About how much adaptability is needed before it reaches the approximate level of responsiveness as DS1?

So far the only thing I really don't like is that pressing the dpad to switch to shield while casting with the chime doesn't queue it up to be switched after the spell is complete like it used to. This has lead to a lot of frustrated trying to heal instead of blocking. That'll take some getting used to.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The guard break is weird now. It is really slow so you can't use it between enemy swings anymore. Also I guess it means you can't kick people off cliff's which kind of sucks

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Equip load controls roll distance and stamina regen linearly until ~70%, right? The Falconer gear with Heide knight helm looks badass, but I've been pretty reliant on dodging so far and that puts me up to ~56% equip load.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Giant Isopod posted:

Everything feels so sluggish. The delay raising my shield has killed me so many times. With the cleric and the starting mace, it feels like an absolute eternity if I whiff and turn myself into an all-you-can-stab buffet. Pumped adaptability to 8 and it seems a bit better. About how much adaptability is needed before it reaches the approximate level of responsiveness as DS1?

So far the only thing I really don't like is that pressing the dpad to switch to shield while casting with the chime doesn't queue it up to be switched after the spell is complete like it used to. This has lead to a lot of frustrated trying to heal instead of blocking. That'll take some getting used to.

~100 Agility is when you'll feel like it's DS1 again. Depending on your Attunement this will be like 15-25 ADP. It goes up to 110 but the difference between 100 and 110 is pretty minimal compared to the difference between 90 and 100.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Spudd posted:

Is that gimmick the one thing that usually kills the host more times than not. :v:

Had that happen to me. Host obviously had no idea what he was doing while me and another phantom ran straight to the ballistae. We managed to get three hits on the Pursuer...only he only needs two so my shot went straight through his vanishing corpse and into the hosts's face while I did the fistpump animation. :v:

Made it up the next time I got summoned for that by being the bait downrange and dodging all the sharpened tree trunks flying at me.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ethanol posted:

The guard break is weird now. It is really slow so you can't use it between enemy swings anymore. Also I guess it means you can't kick people off cliff's which kind of sucks

You can definitely still shove people off of things with the guard break, it's just way less reliable.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Digital River screwed up my payment processing. Apparently there is no notification for this.

I now get to wait for three business days for them to actually ship my game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Equip load controls roll distance and stamina regen linearly until ~70%, right? The Falconer gear with Heide knight helm looks badass, but I've been pretty reliant on dodging so far and that puts me up to ~56% equip load.

30%, 50%, and 70% are the breakpoints for different roll animations, I always keep myself below 30% so I don't know how it affects stamina regen. If you get enough Equip Weight to wear a chest you can ignore legs and just use the Jester gloves (which are light and give extra souls). There is some kind of non-breakpoint scaling but it never made a difference to me. There are also two rings that can be equipped to raise your Equip Weight (well, six rings, but only two of them can be worn at once).

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Liquid Penguins posted:

Oh, somebody was asking about that in the thread earlier I think. Didn't know it was an anti piracy thing. That's wonderful.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

It's not quite linear, I don't think the crazy numbers people have figured out exactly how it works yet. But there's a definite difference between 40% and 50%, and so on.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Giant Isopod posted:

I don't know about a specific number to getting it to DS1 levels, but I've heard shooting for at least 20 something ADP is good but I'm sure higher doesn't hurt. The attunement stat will also raise your agility slightly (which is basically what you're going for here) but adaptability is the big one.

It'll also determine how fast you can drink estus and raise your chances of rolling through an attack, so level it!

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

A.C. posted:

~100 Agility is when you'll feel like it's DS1 again. Depending on your Attunement this will be like 15-25 ADP. It goes up to 110 but the difference between 100 and 110 is pretty minimal compared to the difference between 90 and 100.

Oh drat, I had no idea Attunement factored into it as well, thanks. Hella glad they added a respec function this time around.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Was it confirmed that your ingame name is your steam name? Because I put down my white summon sign and when I checked it just showed my characters name.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Giant Isopod posted:

Oh drat, I had no idea Attunement factored into it as well, thanks. Hella glad they added a respec function this time around.

Attunement's contribution to Agility is minimal, so don't pump Attunement just for Agility, but if you're pumping it anyway you need ~10-15 less ADP than you would otherwise.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Was it confirmed that your ingame name is your steam name? Because I put down my white summon sign and when I checked it just showed my characters name.

Pretty sure it's the character's name after all.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Giant Isopod posted:

Well it's on a smaller scale, so unless you're gunning for magic attunement slots or looking to max out agility ADP is the main stat I'd worry about.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is it possible to jump without sprinting? Vault over poo poo? :confused:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Kimmalah posted:

Well it's on a smaller scale, so unless you're gunning for magic attunement slots or looking to max out agility ADP is the main stat I'd worry about.

I want Attunement anyway yeah. It takes some of the pain out of having to balance stats against eachother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

What the hell is up with KBM controls? Half the time when I click to attack the game just doesn't register it and I stand around doing nothing while getting horribly murdered.

FROM are awful at making KB+M controls. You have to do single clicks to attack, otherwise it registers as double clicks even if you don't have anything bound to doubleclick, in which case it just doesn't do anything.