Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
You know what's weird? It just struck me. I've heard gently caress all from right wing media about the bonuses that were paid to (often lovely) IRS employees, some of whom had tax problems of their own. When the news broke, I figured that poo poo would get beaten to death and even braced myself for it. What's going on with that I wonder? Seemed to be a story right in FOX News' wheelhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

There were some political cartoons about it. I think Bundy has sucked all the oxygen out of the room though and it's utterly small potatoes besides what the right is already accusing the IRS of doing.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

BiggerBoat posted:

You know what's weird? It just struck me. I've heard gently caress all from right wing media about the bonuses that were paid to (often lovely) IRS employees, some of whom had tax problems of their own. When the news broke, I figured that poo poo would get beaten to death and even braced myself for it. What's going on with that I wonder? Seemed to be a story right in FOX News' wheelhouse.

My local conservative morning program tried to hype it up the first day the story broke, but yeah, it really didn't generate as much outrage as I was expecting. I think they're just tacking it on to more IRS OPPRESSION of PATRIOTS, or whatever.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Are you excited?

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/04/24/pot-culture-exposed-hannitys-stoned-america

quote:

From the medical dangers of marijuana to the growing calls for legalization, Sean Hannity takes an in-depth look at pot culture in the special, "Stoned America," airing this Friday on Fox News Channel.

Watters Goes to CO Pot Rally, Asks If Anyone's Heard About Alarming New Study

NEW: Colorado 4th-Graders Caught Selling Pot at School

All this week, Hannity has been exploring the dangers of marijuana and gave viewers a firsthand look at a 4/20 pot rally in Denver, Colorado.

In a startling new report, researchers at Northwestern University discovered that young adults who use marijuana once or twice a week have brain abnormalities.

Stoners at the pot rally were asked what they thought about the study. Unsurprisingly, many of them were not too concerned about the findings. Several people pointed out that alcohol is more dangerous than marijuana.

In the sneak peek above, one man says, “If we were going to label a gateway drug, we would have to go for caffeine or aspirin.”

Watch the sneak peek above, and check out more footage from the Denver pot rally below. Then, tune in tomorrow at 10p ET to see the Hannity Special: Stoned America.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
So is the militia gathering still growing on Bundy's ranch?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't mind people being against weed, just like I don't mind people being against alcohol.
Both can be vices and a personal crutch, I think everyone understands that mentality.

I just love the attitude of 'dope makes you a fiend instantly' mindset. The idea that weed is addictive as crack and makes people act like they're on bath salts is just mind boggling to me. It just instantly outs you as ignorant of what you're talking about. It's also a great example of the double-think conservatives have. "Weed makes you a goofed out lazy hippy and also drives you into a drug fueled blood lust of insatiable addiction and violence."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Guilty Spork posted:

A conversation about whether the federal government should own as much land as it does would be totally reasonable. It's not an issue I care about personally (being all city-fied and stuff), but the racist with weird delusions of the federal government not existing is very nearly the worst possible figurehead for it.

There's some really hosed up ignorance loop going on with the GOP as a whole where their politicians want to feign like they have no idea there's a link between poo poo like Paul Ryans "inner city" and Cliven Bundys "Lemme tell ya about the negros" (despite the two nakedly being the exact same sentiment), and their base who don't realize there's supposed to be a difference because they're simmering in a right wing news bubble that's rapidly losing the point of these dog whistle terms because everyone agrees with them anyway, no one THEY talk to or read about bats an eye when they talk about those darn cities full of porch monkeys.

I'm having trouble explaining that concisely, but basically I think the GOP ruling class created a true Frankenstein's Monster and the Monster is getting conflicting messages on what it's supposed to actually do: Is this a mad max struggle for the literal life of our country that's going to come to a violent head ANY SECOND NOW where a silent majority is being defeated by media tricks and rigged elections? or are we just having fun with all this racist poo poo and actually we're trying to win boring 1990's style elections where you have to actually do that campaigning thing where you have to acknowledge objective reality and voters who aren't as old and white as you are?

Because in one of those scenarios I'm allowed to gather an armed militia of exclusively white people and tell them how slavery was great and in the other I can't.

Well no one is really saying so I'll just do the fun one.

Oops, hosed up again. HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN!?!?!

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There's some really hosed up ignorance loop going on with the GOP as a whole where their politicians want to feign like they have no idea there's a link between poo poo like Paul Ryans "inner city" and Cliven Bundys "Lemme tell ya about the negros" (despite the two nakedly being the exact same sentiment), and their base who don't realize there's supposed to be a difference because they're simmering in a right wing news bubble that's rapidly losing the point of these dog whistle terms because everyone agrees with them anyway, no one THEY talk to or read about bats an eye when they talk about those darn cities full of porch monkeys.

This whole situation is providing some really perverse hilarity because of this.

Someone over in the US Politics thread posted a link to a Rich Lowry National Review article about how wrong Bundy's initial comments were, and there was several examples in the comments section by people who were so close and yet so far from having a real understanding of what was happening.

The posts would start off saying that Bundy was conveying a very common sentiment in the conservative community, and the same sentiment as Paul Ryan had been, just in an "inartful" way. They'd then go on to mention how National Review had defended Ryan but was not defending Bundy, something that makes you think that some of these NR commenters had actually figured things out.

Then it'd be followed with something like "So, obviously, Bundy's comments weren't racist", which would bring you back to your senses that these are NR commenters after all.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
This seems like the best place to ask, so;

Does anyone have, or would anyone be willing to make, a best of Cliven Bundy over the last 48 hours, including excerpts and direct links? I ask because this would be massively helpful to give out to my friends and family. Both to stymie his supporters who are ignorant of his views and to bolster allies dealing with the same. And while I know that die-hards wont be swayed, I deal a lot with people that will recoil from seeing such a person represent their party front and center.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

I don't mind people being against weed, just like I don't mind people being against alcohol.
Both can be vices and a personal crutch, I think everyone understands that mentality.

I just love the attitude of 'dope makes you a fiend instantly' mindset. The idea that weed is addictive as crack and makes people act like they're on bath salts is just mind boggling to me. It just instantly outs you as ignorant of what you're talking about. It's also a great example of the double-think conservatives have. "Weed makes you a goofed out lazy hippy and also drives you into a drug fueled blood lust of insatiable addiction and violence."

I really don't get what Fox has to gain from running a bunch of anti-pot propaganda. The only thing I can see is that they want to compete with CNBC's somewhat-neutral pot docuseries.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

lil mortimer posted:

I really don't get what Fox has to gain from running a bunch of anti-pot propaganda. The only thing I can see is that they want to compete with CNBC's somewhat-neutral pot docuseries.

Fox's core audience is easily frightened old white people. They probably saw Reefer Madness when it was new.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

Fox's core audience is easily frightened old white people. They probably saw Reefer Madness when it was new.
Yup. That's my Dad (He's 75).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

This seems like the best place to ask, so;

Does anyone have, or would anyone be willing to make, a best of Cliven Bundy over the last 48 hours, including excerpts and direct links? I ask because this would be massively helpful to give out to my friends and family. Both to stymie his supporters who are ignorant of his views and to bolster allies dealing with the same. And while I know that die-hards wont be swayed, I deal a lot with people that will recoil from seeing such a person represent their party front and center.

http://crooksandliars.com/taxonomy/term/54216

Alright its a leftie website, but its just all the media clips they have put up about it. So its one click away to watch them

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I can't wait until it comes out that weed makes black dudes have sex with white ladies. :allears:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Phone posted:

I can't wait until it comes out that weed makes black dudes have sex with white ladies. :allears:

It's probably going to come out in that special, along with the only cure for pot being gun ownership.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

It's probably going to come out in that special, along with the only cure for pot being gun ownership.

..of your neighbor

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there anything guns can't fix?

These are the hard-hitting questions.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Oh hey this is...a thing. It showed up on my Facebook feed. I forget from where.

"The man who said bad things about black people is not a racist." - A Black Man

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/04/132699-black-marines-letter-refutes-left-wing-media-narrative-cliven-bundy-racist/

I've never even heard of IJReview and I really have no idea what to even make of this.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

McDowell posted:

Is there anything guns can't fix?

These are the hard-hitting questions.

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2014-04-25/friday-news-roundup-domestic

One of the panelists on Diane Rehm this morning, I'm guessing the guy from Politico, answered a caller's question about gun laws in Florida forbidding cities from ever threatening 2nd Amendment rights by pointing out how *the media* never talked about Pearl High where the assistant principal got his .45 from his truck and held off the crazed youth that'd already killed multiple students.

Guess why the media isn't talking about all these stories of how armed teachers saved students after these recent shootings?

It was in 1997

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh hey this is...a thing. It showed up on my Facebook feed. I forget from where.

"The man who said bad things about black people is not a racist." - A Black Man

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/04/132699-black-marines-letter-refutes-left-wing-media-narrative-cliven-bundy-racist/

I've never even heard of IJReview and I really have no idea what to even make of this.

quote:

Who the heck are we to determine another man’s perspective on the world around him?! Just because Picasso’s view of the world was abstract, does it negate the fact that his art was genuine?

It's not racism, it's abstract social commentary! That's a new one on me.

(slightly less liberal opinion incoming)

BUT! I will say that there might be a point buried way deep in this bullshit. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there is a non-zero chance Bundy is not a hateful racist in his heart of hearts. To me, parsing his statements leaves open the possibility that he is just a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge loving idiot who's read too much whitesplaining from drudge/Glenn Beck/O'Reilley and has bought into their particular brand of concern trolling where they present a laundry list of poo poo they lay on black people and then dissemble at the end saying "Gosh, I wish we could help them with this, and good luck to them in dealing with these horrible problems" and hope it passes for compassion. It's racism for sure, but these stupid pearl clutching arguments that are written from a perspective of "Oh but we're just trying to help them not be so terrible, because gently caress they are terrrrrible" are made to soothe people who are still harboring feelings that black people might actually be people too.

He deserves everything he gets but I don't think he's in on the joke. I think he's just an old retard who sits in this grey area RW blogs have carved out for people who want to stay in the club but don't feel comfortable with just straight up saying "gently caress black people".

I believe he did what a lot of these people do everyday and forgot that those articles are written to make them feel good, not to provide actual public argument for returning blacks to the slave days for their own good. That sort of thing should be obvious to anyone reading these things but hey here we are.

Glenn Beck pulls this same trick with just about everything. I've had a theory for a long time that his target audience are the not-as-hardcore wives of hardcore oath keeper types. His job is to take any issue the husband rails about full throatedly (loving BLACKS STEALING MY TAX MONEY AND BUYING CADILLIACS!!!!) and translate it into a form that gives you cover from normal societies judgement (Someone needs to do something about these blacks' loss of personal responsibility, their fathers, and values before they're lost forever!!! I love them so much it breaks my heart to see their souls so abused by those Democrats! If only they'd get a job like us).

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 25, 2014

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there is a non-zero chance Bundy is not a hateful racist in his heart of hearts. To me, parsing his statements leaves open the possibility that he is just a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge loving idiot who's read too much whitesplaining from drudge/Glenn Beck/O'Reilley and has bought into their particular brand of concern trolling where they present a laundry list of poo poo they lay on black people and then dissemble at the end saying "Gosh, I wish we could help them with this, and good luck to them in dealing with these horrible problems" and hope it passes for compassion. It's racism for sure, but these stupid pearl clutching arguments that are written from a perspective of "Oh but we're just trying to help them not be so terrible, because gently caress they are terrrrrible" are made to soothe people who are still harboring feelings that black people might actually be people too.

He deserves everything he gets but I don't think he's in on the joke. I think he's just an old retard who sits in this grey area RW blogs have carved out for people who want to stay in the club but don't feel comfortable with just straight up saying "gently caress black people".

I believe he did what a lot of these people do everyday and forgot that those articles are written to make them feel good, not to provide actual public argument for returning blacks to the slave days for their own good. That sort of thing should be obvious to anyone reading these things but hey here we are.

Glenn Beck pulls this same trick with just about everything. I've had a theory for a long time that his target audience are the not-as-hardcore wives of hardcore oath keeper types. His job is to take any issue the husband rails about full throatedly (loving BLACKS STEALING MY TAX MONEY AND BUYING CADILLIACS!!!!) and translate it into a form that gives you cover from normal societies judgement (Someone needs to do something about these blacks' loss of personal responsibility, their fathers, and values before they're lost forever!!! I love them so much it breaks my heart to see their souls so abused by those Democrats! If only they'd get a job like us).

I know conservatives IRL who hold both of those thoughts at the same time, and they use either argument depending on how angry/defensive they are (or aren't) feeling at any given moment. They're deeply conflicted, knowing the danger of full-out racism but afraid to take that extra step to race-blind empathy for fear of catching liberal cooties or whatever.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

lil mortimer posted:

Remember that Obama said pot wasn't that bad.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

beatlegs posted:

I know conservatives IRL who hold both of those thoughts at the same time, and they use either argument depending on how angry/defensive they are (or aren't) feeling at any given moment. They're deeply conflicted, knowing the danger of full-out racism but afraid to take that extra step to race-blind empathy for fear of catching liberal cooties or whatever.

Someday soon I bet there will be a politician who's more tuned in with this kind of situation and they're going to use it to point out the very stark difference in "values" and how equally they're applied in matters of policy when it comes to America's left and right.

I think the biggest intellectual problem facing conservatives in America is the abandonment of the idea that a conservative core principle (or a core difference between the parties) won't always make every single conservative feel like a rightous happy warrior on every single issue. There's nothing on their side akin to the ACLU going to bat for the Ku Klux Klan and Rush Limbaugh. There's no longer any recognition that non-conservative speech qualifies as free speech. There's no major voices standing up and saying "let the states decide their abortion laws" but there are plenty who are gunning for Roe v. Wade. There's a very small batch questioning military spending and the cost of our wars from a conservative position but considering the insane scale of that problem it might as well be none. There's no longer a principled "states rights" argument from the right, there are 10000 different issues that cut either way depending on whether or not the rights in question would offend Sean Hannity and 3/4ths of them will flip completely depending on what party the president is from. These are the people who gave us the loving patriot act while Bush was in office and the exact same people now think threatening the feds with violence as an organized militia is reasonable and the IRS asking if Karl Roves non-profit is a tax cheat is some -gate level scandal.

They like to talk about being the party of hard decisions, tough love and values but it's "for thee, not me". Find me an issue with a natural conservative angle that cuts opposite of a christian or corporate interest and I will find you no less than 100 blog posts lazily explaining it away.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 26, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Conservatives can totally make progress on stuff though by just doing the thing where they simultaneously all forget something, bury it, and whine like hell if anyone ever brings it up.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

If what Maddow asserts is correct, Bundy was more than just a racist rear end in a top hat, but like a major league racist rear end in a top hat.

It's quite one thing to have someone drop the N-Bomb, complain about welfare and other things that your racist uncle/grandpa might say. As terrible as their opinions are, I highly doubt they'd join the Klan or something of that nature.

(There's a very famous "All in the Family" where Archie Bunker complains about "Blacks", indirectly joins the klan, then bails knowing that he's not on that level. Think of that.).

No, this is a guy that could have touched off another Waco. This is a guy that could have gotten women and children killed. This is a guy who subscribes to the same views as Timothy McVeigh.

Can you imagine if he had not been caught by (vilified by fox) Media Matters?

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 26, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

No, this is a guy that could have touched off another Waco. This is a guy that could have gotten women and children killed. This is a guy who subscribes to the same views as Timothy McVeigh.

There are like half a million of these guys. It's barrels more fun to laugh at their cultural impotency than to tremble at their private armories.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Just heard on MSNBC that there are reports of militias setting up check points in Nevada near where Bundy lives. For gently caress's sake.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

beatlegs posted:

Just heard on MSNBC that there are reports of militias setting up check points in Nevada near where Bundy lives. For gently caress's sake.

If I was in Nevada I would put on a Burqa and try to drive through a few of them.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If I was in Nevada I would put on a Burqa and try to drive through a few of them.

Got way more balls than me if you actually did that, considering these guys were openly planning on how to most efficiently murder federal agents a few days ago.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There's nothing on their side akin to the ACLU going to bat for the Ku Klux Klan and Rush Limbaugh.

Well, unless you count the ACLU or the ACLU.

e: Derp, I entirely misread your meaning.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
People in Federal Breast Inspector shirts get killed by militia men who mistake them for the real FBI.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

beatlegs posted:

I fell like this is a good thing. It gets them out in the open and identifiable. I'm betting the FBI love it. For guys who have a hard on for being guerrillas fighting the government it's tactically stupid.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

beatlegs posted:

….really? For sure?

Militia leader turns on Fox News, sees coverage of east Ukraine. "Those folks have the right idea!"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Guilty Spork posted:

A conversation about whether the federal government should own as much land as it does would be totally reasonable. It's not an issue I care about personally (being all city-fied and stuff), but the racist with weird delusions of the federal government not existing is very nearly the worst possible figurehead for it.

Most of the land the federal government controls is either forests or in the case of Nevada/Utah/etc. desert wasteland which can't really be used for much other than nuke tests and reverse-engineering Soviet planes. One of the few legit good things about the US government is how much land is reserved for non-development use.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea most land the government owns is either conservation things like 'alright fuckers we own this forest so you can't go Hulkamania and run wild in it' or just total useless wastelands that may be neat to study poo poo in but really don't have any use.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
This helps to break out what parts of federal lands are owned by which federal agencies:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
What is that line of DoD land going around the borders of an Indian reservation in South Dakota?

It's missile silos isn't it?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

What is that line of DoD land going around the borders of an Indian reservation in South Dakota?

It's missile silos isn't it?

That's Army Corps of Engineers land involving several artificial lakes created by damming the upper Missouri River. Lake Oahe is the largest one, accounting for most of the length.

Missile silo land is too small to show on the map, being widely spaced and all that.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Remember that Obama said pot wasn't that bad.

Plus old straight-laced white people are terrified of drug users and anything that they are terrified of becoming more prominent under Obama is another thing they could blame him for somehow.

:lol: at Hannity being the one to run this report.

Watch this man who has never even seen a joint in person tell you all about how it could ruin your life because of some vague studies even though we're normally against science!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

mr. mephistopheles posted:

:lol: at Hannity being the one to run this report.

Well he was under a lot of pressure to find something else to talk about after dropping his Bundy coverage and never bringing it up again.