Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I'm stuck, I've killed the first boss, opened a few doors with the key he dropped, killed the turtle dudes, got the bonfire near said turtle dudes, where do i go now? I tried heide's tower but those massive dudes seem like such a big leap from the enemy's at FOFG's. Is the only way to continue to go through Heide's tower or is there a path I've missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I'm stuck, I've killed the first boss, opened a few doors with the key he dropped, killed the turtle dudes, got the bonfire near said turtle dudes, where do i go now? I tried heide's tower but those massive dudes seem like such a big leap from the enemy's at FOFG's. Is the only way to continue to go through Heide's tower or is there a path I've missed?

Stay back and watch the knights attack, they're probably easier than FOFG due to predictability.

FOFG: theres a second boss in FOFG, hes behind the locked door in the room that that you can run out the window on the huge pillar/statue.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bef posted:

Well they don't tell you he's called the Pursuer. Looked like a miniboss and I was a bit disappointed I haven't seen him since

Oh, you're right, he didn't have a normal boss health bar. Okay.

Either way though stop posting and just keep playing the game :cheeky:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Songbearer posted:

Whoever wrote this is a lovely man or woman :3:
I wrote "Stay calm, skeleton." Getting a nice amount of free heals from that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Internet Kraken posted:

I might not be able to invade people but I can still be an rear end in a top hat. I managed to get my host to murder an NPC as a shade using gestures. He talked to the guy and then I kept spamming "no way". Then he hit him once so I started spamming "pumped up", and he took it as a sign to continue with the murder.

Even as a shade, my dickwraith spirit lives on.

Honestly, if you want to be a "helpful" phantom, all you have to do is "help" with the Pursuer fight by manning the ballistae. 50-50 chance you'll nail the host if he's the one down-range, so you either get hilarity or you get souls.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Heide is pretty much your main route. However, if you beat the Pursuer, there is another option.

If you go to the area in Forest of Fallen Giants where you fight him with the ballistas, there's a big bird's nest there. Go to it ans his bird will take you to a new area. But it's tough too, so that's your call. The big guys in Heide are actually not bad once you get their timing. Big and very slow.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

Are the controls for this using an xbox controller on PC really finnicky or am I just dumb and bad? I can't get the guard break or jump attacks to fire at all. :saddowns:
They're really tricky compared to DS1, that's for sure. I'm using the same setup and spearmen are a huge pain because of it.

edit: vvvvv You don't notice the "your message has been rated" popup every few minutes? (Also, you have to be online)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

OH NO MAN posted:

I wrote "Stay calm, skeleton." Getting a nice amount of free heals from that.

wait you get healed from ratings? I have a 100+ rating and haven't noticed that at all

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wharf is awesome. When I saw the ghost ship I was hoping you would be able to take it over, so of course you do.

The boss is kind of a chump, though his design is great. I figure since the area lacks any shortcuts (that I could find) the boss being brutal would be pretty nasty.

EDIT: I wish people would stop acting like people aren't exploring just because they miss stuff. Its easy to overlook a lot of things even if you're trying to find everything.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I hate to be all "you're playing the game wrong" :colbert: But if you really don't take the time to explore you're missing half the game.

That key is in plain loving sight.

I hadn't gone that far in yet.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, it's saved my rear end a few times. :v:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kimmalah posted:

Heide is pretty much your main route. However, if you beat the Pursuer, there is another option.

If you go to the area in Forest of Fallen Giants where you fight him with the ballistas, there's a big bird's nest there. Go to it ans his bird will take you to a new area. But it's tough too, so that's your call. The big guys in Heide are actually not bad once you get their timing. Big and very slow.

Yeah the giants aren't so bad, like everything its learning patterns. That being said I quiver whenever I see a hammer one

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ethanol posted:

wait you get healed from ratings? I have a 100+ rating and haven't noticed that at all

Yes it says "your message was rated" with a noise and an effect, and your health goes up.

Are you sure? That seems odd.

dis astranagant posted:

I hadn't gone that far in yet.

Ah, guess I misread. Another person I know went through the whole area and never found the key, and its just like... right there.

Unless you get really stuck though I'd just keep playing the game. Discovery is really half the fun of the game, not knowing whats around the corner and exhaustively checking everything, and then going "aha!" when you find what you were hoping you would...

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So I guess agility is something you want to increase through adaptability? I get the impression you are rather clunky and slow at combat at the start of the game rather than being a reflex god that blocks on point and rolls like a pro like you would at the start of DS1?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

ethanol posted:

Yes. You'll get a message that says "Your message has been rated" and small amount of HP.

Sober posted:

So I guess agility is something you want to increase through adaptability? I get the impression you are rather clunky and slow at combat at the start of the game rather than being a reflex god that blocks on point and rolls like a pro like you would at the start of DS1?

Yes. The higher your adaptability (and agility), the more likely you are to roll through attacks and you'll have your guard down for shorter amounts of time while using items like estus.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sober posted:

Yeah, rolls are a combination of your carry load (itself a combination of weight and endurance) and your adaptability. You want adaptability at like 9-10 to feel like Dark Souls 1 and most characters start with less than that. Taking it to 12-20 can be kinda nice though.

Also affects the speed you drink estus, the speed your shield goes up and down (so the speed you can backstab), and other little things about responsiveness.

Internet Kraken posted:

Wharf is awesome. When I saw the ghost ship I was hoping you would be able to take it over, so of course you do.

The boss is kind of a chump, though his design is great. I figure since the area lacks any shortcuts (that I could find) the boss being brutal would be pretty nasty.

EDIT: I wish people would stop acting like people aren't exploring just because they miss stuff. Its easy to overlook a lot of things even if you're trying to find everything.

That boss is a good bit harder on NG+. Also, the next boss is gonna give you a real run for your money, so :)

And okay sorry.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Kimmalah posted:

He'll come back later in another part of the area. That's just an early optional encounter, but he'll leave if you leave the platform. There's a reason he's called "The Pursuer." :v:

Haha so that's the guy everyone is talking about. He got dropped off for me and then clipped through the floor and I haven't heard from him since.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes it says "your message was rated" with a noise and an effect, and your health goes up.

Are you sure? That seems odd.

Ah, guess I misread. Another person I know went through the whole area and never found the key, and its just like... right there.

Unless you get really stuck though I'd just keep playing the game. Discovery is really half the fun of the game, not knowing whats around the corner and exhaustively checking everything, and then going "aha!" when you find what you were hoping you would...

Oh I am, I'm just switching back and forth between areas when one gets my blood pressure up a bit too much :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Haha so that's the guy everyone is talking about. He got dropped off for me and then clipped through the floor and I haven't heard from him since.

If you've beaten The Last Giant then you got a key which lets you go face him again Its in that hallway with the giant sword you can walk on, unlock the door and then go fight him

Cardinal Tower is a popular low level summon location since you can do either of those two bosses from that same bonfire. They both give you tons of souls.

:siren: If anybody need souls don't bother farming, just do co-op! :siren:

dis astranagant posted:

Oh I am, I'm just switching back and forth between areas when one gets my blood pressure up a bit too much :v:

Yeah the non-linear design of Dark Souls is good for that.

I just said gently caress The Gutter and put it off as long as I could.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I beat the The Last Giant Boss!! :woop:

I leveled up hard, man I'm feeling really great. but I do notice one thing, using coop runes makes the game alot easier, but I didnt use any for the boss so the victory is so much sweeter.

but really, when am I going to start finding better equipment, I hope I get to at least upgrade my clothing from the starter kit soon.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Man, DS2 on the PC really does look amazing. I just started but I think I'll use this run to try out weapon types I have never used before. So daggers, lances and halberds, and sorcery. I'll probably throw dual cestus too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh boy! I can finally buy that cat ring and see whats in that giant hole!

*equips ring, falls, dies anyways*

:geno:

Also the key to beating the giants easily is to stop blocking and stop using lock on. Twohand your weapon, run right up to their legs, and just whack them after they finish a combo. Their attacks are all super slow and easy to roll under, and they leave themselves exposed long enough for you to get hits in risk free. If you try to block their attacks with early game gear they just drain all your stamina and kill you anyways. You don't want to use lock on because free dodging is easier and they're so big it won't be an issue trying to hit them.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't wait to find this, the forest covenant was my favorite in DS1. Will Sentinels counter invade you there?

I have invaded a player as a bellbro and he was already invaded by another bellbro, got counter-invaded by a sentinel, and then a not-darkwraith invaded as well. So it was 2vs2vs1. Best pvp I have had in days.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I am a coward fucker, how do I go offline? Do you have to do the stupid unplug ethernet cable thing from DS1 again? I thought it was an actual option this time around.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

I beat the The Last Giant Boss!! :woop:

I leveled up hard, man I'm feeling really great. but I do notice one thing, using summon runes makes the game alot easier, but I didnt use any for the boss so the victory is so much sweeter.

but really, when am I going to start finding better equipment, I hope I get to at least upgrade my clothing from the starter kit soon.

Yeah, that was true of DS1 too. Co-op is almost always waaaaay easier than solo. Sometimes summoning NPCs is worthless and actually makes the bosses harder, but real people are almost always worth summoning, if only to distract the boss so you can heal more easily, if not to do tons of damage.

Its kinda fun to roll through solo until you get steamrolled by a boss, then summon help for that boss and then keep going.

Or also you can beat them yourself solo, and then offer to help other people so you get the co-op experience too! (and the souls!)

Did you talk to the armorer in Majula? Because he sells armor as soon as you get there. And If you buy things from him, he'll expand his equipment. Try talking to him after you spend a lot of money

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Anyone else having problems summoning people? I get summoned as a shade really easily but every single one of the dozen or so signs I've touched instantly throw up a "Summoning Failed" message.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Goddamn, having a phantom utterly trivializes Pursuer. Now I feel kind of bad. Two ballista rounds to his face and he went down.

Cowcaster posted:

Anyone else having problems summoning people? I get summoned as a shade really easily but every single one of the dozen or so signs I've touched instantly throw up a "Summoning Failed" message.
Someone summoned them first.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ruin Sentinels: kinda dicks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh boy! I can finally buy that cat ring and see whats in that giant hole!

*equips ring, falls, dies anyways*

:geno:

Also the key to beating the giants easily is to stop blocking and stop using lock on. Twohand your weapon, run right up to their legs, and just whack them after they finish a combo. Their attacks are all super slow and easy to roll under, and they leave themselves exposed long enough for you to get hits in risk free. If you try to block their attacks with early game gear they just drain all your stamina and kill you anyways. You don't want to use lock on because free dodging is easier and they're so big it won't be an issue trying to hit them.

There's another way into the giant hole that doesn't require jumping that you'll find later, which is probably the "proper" method, although using the cat ring is definitely the first solution everybody thinks of.

You can try stacking more health to survive it, or wait till later, or get the slow fall spell, or whatever.

If you haven't been to Earthen Peak yet, then you're in no rush to do the giant hole necessarily. But if you wanted to, you CAN do the giant hole. (aka rat domain followed by the gutter followed by... you'll see

dis astranagant posted:

Ruin Sentinels: kinda dicks.

They're one of the first bosses that's proper dark souls challenging. Co-op really, really helps on that fight.

You can do it! :toot:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

THE PWNER posted:

I am a coward fucker, how do I go offline? Do you have to do the stupid unplug ethernet cable thing from DS1 again? I thought it was an actual option this time around.

I've been playing this game online all day and haven't been invaded a single time.

Seriously, don't worry about the online stuff. Even if invasions were common I'd say keep it on, and not because of any "real Dark Souls experience" nonsense either. Messages are A LOT more helpful this time around. The game throws a lot more tricks at you and there are many hidden things. Messages can give more specific advice so genuinely helpful ones are actually pretty common. There are a lot of traps I avoided and items I found purely because of the messages.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ravenfood posted:

Someone summoned them first.

No, I've actually gotten a special message for that, about 10% of the time. The remaining 90% is just a straight up "Summon Failed".

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Zaphod42 posted:

Or also you can beat them yourself solo, and then offer to help other people so you get the co-op experience too! (and the souls!)

Thanks for all the help man! I'll see what I can do!

So if I offer my help by putting summoning runes next to the entrance of the boss right?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I get the feeling there might be rewards for lighting all sconces in certain areas. Is my instinct wrong?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

:siren: If anybody need souls don't bother farming, just do co-op! :siren:

If you want a very fast way to farm souls early on, you can burn ascetics at the third bonfire in Iron Keep, the boss is the easiest boss in the game, both enemies between the bonfire and the boss can be skipped, and he starts giving 100k+ souls each kill after the first. You can use this to easily hit 1 million Soul Memory which lets you skip killing all four Great Souls before accessing Drangleic Castle, letting you skip to the second half of the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah we've been talking about it a whole lot.

People are fighting for summons. That's kinda how Dark Souls goes, but especially on launch week.

The way you place your sign and then it lets lots of people see your sign and then its first-come-first-served isn't really ideal.

Try summoning people that are further away from bonfires, you're more likely to get there first.

Also, you can get a ring from that cat that essentially puts you in a special "game lobby". You pick one of 12 gods and you can only see the summon signs of people also wearing the ring, with that god chosen.

We've chosen "The blood god", so put the ring on, choose that, and you'll only see goons, and have a better chance of summoning them.

The downside is you won't see as many signs overall, but you can always take it off if you aren't seeing any, and you can always change which god lobby you're in.

Cowcaster posted:

No, I've actually gotten a special message for that, about 10% of the time. The remaining 90% is just a straight up "Summon Failed".

Yeah, we know, it says both depending upon what happened. Just keep trying. Dark Souls 1 was the same.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of online is there anything that would keep me from seeing other people's summon signs but keep myself able to be summoned? Trying tot take down a certain trio and there are zero white signs in the entire zone, even though I can put down my own and not only be summoned instantly but the world master will already have a second white phantom 50% of the time.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Al-Saqr posted:

Also, I really really am dying to play this game with a controller, but I can control the camera with the right stick like I want to, I keep trying to map the thing on Xinput but it would not change into what I need in the game. it really sucks that this game doesnt have support to change button maps. is there anything I can do to fix this? pad is a Logitech that's basically shaped like a PS2.

I was running into controller problems too. I can’t move the camera at all, left RS is parry, right RS is heavy attack, R2 is menu, L2 is emote, start is target lock and the y-axis on RS does not do anything at all. At least LS moves me, they didn’t mess that up! FromSoft really messed up not letting us reconfigure the controller.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Internet Kraken posted:

I've been playing this game online all day and haven't been invaded a single time.

Seriously, don't worry about the online stuff. Even if invasions were common I'd say keep it on, and not because of any "real Dark Souls experience" nonsense either. Messages are A LOT more helpful this time around. The game throws a lot more tricks at you and there are many hidden things. Messages can give more specific advice so genuinely helpful ones are actually pretty common. There are a lot of traps I avoided and items I found purely because of the messages.

I mean yeah I'm not gonna bother if I have to jump through hoops, I'm just asking if the option is available at all.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Ugh I'm really enjoying some parts of this game but having major difficulties with others. My number one issue right now though is where the hell do I go after killing the last giant? I think I opened all the doors the soldier's key can open, is my only option killing the pursuer at this point? Cause that guy wrecks my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh man old dragonslayer's theme is amazing. You can still hints of his leitmotif in it too.