Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Wayward Souls is fun so far. The controls are surprisingly good for a touch-interface. This is probably my favorite non-hook Rocketcat game thus far. gently caress if I'm not getting my rear end kicked though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Gegil posted:

I just tried out the PVP and noticed that there are rewards you can unlock. The first tier rewards have an item that increases the drop rate of items. I can't see what the higher level PVP rewards are yet but its possible they have shard rate drop increase items too.

Wayward Souls segway
Thanks alot you dirty enablers. Your feedback made me feel better about dropping $5 on a good game.

Oh, that's interesting. I haven't gotten to PvP yet.

I do like some of the mechanics. For example, whenever you roll a die that has a risk of making your attack miss, you build up a chain on the left. When you make an attack, that chain is converted into gold, with every 5th link in it worth extra. That makes the relationship between how much attack power you have stored up already and whether or not you should roll a risky die more interesting. The monster capture mechanic also has something to it: whenever there's one monster left, you can capture it if you manage to reduce it to 0 HP exactly (with items available for gold allowing you overshoot a little). The trick is that if you ever have more attack power stored than its HP, the chance goes away, preventing you from just intentionally rolling a 1 whenever you overshoot. That makes certain dice combinations worse at attacking but better at capturing monsters, as it can be easier to overshoot.

I also bought Wayward Souls, because too many F2P mechanics erode a man's soul.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Pixel art can be good and really well done. Tiny Dice Dungeon's problem is that it's pixel art is downright ugly at best and extremely lazy at worst. I recently got Deep Dungeons of Doom and that game has really nice pixel art that adds alot of charm to the game.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
I posted about hats in Wayward Souls, then proceed to find two in my next run. Are they cosmetic only, or do rare hats confer benefits?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sunblood posted:

Wayward is a good game but as others have said it's not a Diablo-like. If you're looking for a Diablo game, try Dungeon Quest. It's free with IAPs but they're all stuff like character slots and cosmetic things. Not required in any way to just play the game. It has the full-on Loot Explosion style action RPG thing going for it, with random stats and magic/rare/epic/legend tiers of items to boot. Definitely scratches that Diablo itch, and scratches it hard.

Did you by chance mean Quest of Dungeons? I was looking for Dungeon Quest, and turned up an Android only app.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Did you by chance mean Quest of Dungeons? I was looking for Dungeon Quest, and turned up an Android only app.
Nope, he meant this one.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I think my current Wayward Souls run just got unwinnable. When I went through this pair of doors, the moment they shut I kinda floated through the walls and wound up on the side I came from with no obvious way to get through. Is this a bug or just some random event I don't know how to handle?

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

Soricidus posted:

I think my current Wayward Souls run just got unwinnable. When I went through this pair of doors, the moment they shut I kinda floated through the walls and wound up on the side I came from with no obvious way to get through. Is this a bug or just some random event I don't know how to handle?

Whoa no idea how that happened haha. Yeah unwinnable. We have checks for if monsters leave the locking door trigger areas, but not the player because that should be impossible. Very weird.

Duranki posted:

I posted about hats in Wayward Souls, then proceed to find two in my next run. Are they cosmetic only, or do rare hats confer benefits?

Cosmetic only, they do absolutely nothing.

Wamdoodle posted:

I actually have run into potions while playing the Warrior and no one else but they were still pretty rare, which is fine. I think they are supposed to be kind of like finding water in a desert.

Health potions kind of suck by design.

axleblaze posted:

I bought Wayward Souls because I put at least 20 or so hours into Punch Quest with only paying like 99 cents once at the "give us money and get nothing in return" level.

By the way, the donation option in Punch Quest should get rid of the ads. The ads are extremely infrequent and not that annoying but it still would be nice.

I thought donations did turn off ads. Maybe a bug then? Like I recall bringing this up before and having it fixed too...

Duranki posted:

Are first-week buyers supposed to get hats in Wayward Souls? I think some players in the TA forums said as much, but I never saw any 'thanks for buying early, here's a hat' pop-up.

Great game, Kepa.

Not sure why half the people aren't getting the hats. Were you online? We'll probably do some sort of support code voucher thing in update 1, so people can get their hats.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Picked up Wayward Souls since it looks like you put a lot of effort into this. Looking forward to finding some time to try it out. I hope it does very well for you!

As of now it's #7 Top Paid, right behind Minecraft. Pls send help

xian posted:

Maybe I'm very masochistic but I think it would be extra tasty if you could fall off ledges in Wayward Souls

We tried this actually and then we removed it. I'd love to do this in another game though.

trigger9631 posted:

Any chance of iCloud support in Wayward Souls? Loving the game otherwise.

We're looking into Dropbox integration actually. That seems to have less horrifying problems.

Flynn Taggart posted:

So are you saying you're abandoning the ios version after a couple of updates in favor of a pc version?

YES

Well, the deal is that the iOS version would get a lot of the stuff from the PC version, in the (massive) third update. It's a good way to justify us adding a new character, new room types, new minibosses, monster shopkeepers, so on. This is the plan as long as the game keeps doing ok.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Kepa posted:

Whoa no idea how that happened haha. Yeah unwinnable. We have checks for if monsters leave the locking door trigger areas, but not the player because that should be impossible. Very weird.
Ah well, not like I'm losing much progress!

I definitely clipped through a wall, presumably because the second door closed on top of me or something? The way it looked on screen, at first I thought I'd fallen into a pit trap or something and I was trying to climb out when I popped out of the wall on the wrong side of the doors.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Erwin posted:

Every day I'm more and more baffled as to why people make apps with pixel art. I get the nostalgia aspect, but it's enough already. Surely people don't prefer it over retina vector art? Is it easier to make? So many games that use it would look so much better with simple vector drawings that used the full resolution of the screen (FTL for sure). Pixel art looks like poo poo.

Kind of depends on the pixel art in question. Tiny Dice Dungeon was made by people who apparently don't understand that mixing "resolutions" looks like poo poo, and so the whole thing looks like poo poo. On the other hand, I think most vector art is ugly as hell. Your example in particular is something that I couldn't disagree more with, since I love the FTL art even if it isn't technically all that great.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Well poo poo... now I don't wanna play Wayward Souls because a Vita version may be coming! :)

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Wait we are supposed to get a hat for buying wayward souls first day?

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

io_burn posted:

I guess my point was it isn't surprising that they do it as much as the absolute dumbest poo poo seems to be what is the "best" by the metrics of these studies. If I was designing the Farmville 2 icon, I would've probably shown some farm fields, a barn, maybe a character avatar with a rake in his hands... A dumb bird wouldn't even be on my list of things to try.

Oh man, Icon Chat! I *hate* that how true this is, but well, it is true, so here we are. We just finished up our app icon this past week and you can see a bunch of the ones we experimented with. (The game itself is an MMO-lite humans vs zombies blah blah blah.)

Want to guess which icon got the most favorable reactions?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

devilmouse posted:

Oh man, Icon Chat! I *hate* that how true this is, but well, it is true, so here we are. We just finished up our app icon this past week and you can see a bunch of the ones we experimented with. (The game itself is an MMO-lite humans vs zombies blah blah blah.)

The girl surrounded by zombie hands?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

devilmouse posted:

Mid right on the third one. Looks a bunch of perverts grabbing at her so clearly that is what people want.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I'd say either of the bandanna girls.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

pixaal posted:

Mid right on the third one. Looks a bunch of perverts grabbing at her so clearly that is what people want.

Shwqa posted:

The girl surrounded by zombie hands?

You're both winners! A large (human) head as the main focus + a blue background is generally a Good Icon and people will gravitate towards it. The pervy grabby hands are probably just a creepy and unintended bonus.

Fun fact, if you're making a decorating game, your blue and purple items, especially if they feature water, will likely outsell your other items, all other things being equal. :iiam:

edit:

io_burn posted:

bandanna

And in the category of missed opportunities, I think I need to make a special / unique version of her named "Band Anna".

rio
Mar 20, 2008

When does the music start in Wayward Souls? I am past the tutorial and into the first level but there has been no music so far.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
The game continue?9876543210 is currently free (down from $4)

I haven't played it yet, but it was on my watchlist since I read the first review. Watch the trailer, and look for yourself:
http://continue9876543210.com/

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Continue was a really cool (if flawed) game that didn't get as much love as it should've. definitely take it for a spin if it's free

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

opaopa13 posted:

Oh, that's interesting. I haven't gotten to PvP yet.

Rank 1 PVP rewards cost 500 coins each

All Heroes will have 20% less chance of rolling a one on their first dice roll
Loot Drops will have a 2% greater chance of containing dice shards
Reward Slot 1 allows the adventurer to store an additional monster

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

devilmouse posted:

You're both winners! A large (human) head as the main focus + a blue background is generally a Good Icon and people will gravitate towards it. The pervy grabby hands are probably just a creepy and unintended bonus.

Fun fact, if you're making a decorating game, your blue and purple items, especially if they feature water, will likely outsell your other items, all other things being equal. :iiam:

As an aside, the game was really fun at PAX and I'm excited to try more, tell your indentured servant Bryan that he did a good job demoing it to me.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Trip report: Enjoying Wayward Souls quite a bit. The controls on my iPod are spot on, in that when I eat a rock to the head I feel like it's my own fault for not dodging. No crashes, no chugging on my Touch 4G.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Downward flicks in WS are seeming spotty for me (ipad mini 2).

Edit: I think I'm just going too diagonal in the heat of humphrey slaying. Also, It would be cool to see some breakdowns/tracking of total monsters killed by class cumulatively, if that's possible. Not sure if that's somewhere I'm not seeing.

xian fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 25, 2014

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Anyone else have hearthstone crash on them a ton? It was fine for a while on my air, but now I can't get through a single match without it crashing.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Kaboobi posted:

As an aside, the game was really fun at PAX and I'm excited to try more, tell your indentured servant Bryan that he did a good job demoing it to me.

Listen, he receives fair wages for his time! (I'm shocked that he gave a good demo and didn't just roll his eyes and sigh at you though.)

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

devilmouse posted:

Listen, he receives fair wages for his time! (I'm shocked that he gave a good demo and didn't just roll his eyes and sigh at you though.)

I may have been on the demo TV and mashed some buttons I wasn't supposed to mash just to annoy him

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Anyone else have hearthstone crash on them a ton? It was fine for a while on my air, but now I can't get through a single match without it crashing.

No crashes here so far on an air as well.

Also, loving Wayward Souls so far. Great job Kepa. Question about items, does the game throw a few more health potions your way if you're low on health or is it completely random and I'm just terrible and lucky?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I only had about 2-3 matches crash on my ipad2. Disconnects are a different story.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I absolutely adored Mage Gauntlet, so Wayward Souls was a definite day one buy for me. Not regretting it at all, and I've got the first four dudes past the first act. Haven't even reached the second boss yet, though. (On a side note, this game's music is amazing.)

One question, though. Is there any way to view story segments more than once? I accidentally clicked through a couple before I could read them.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Kepa posted:

We're looking into Dropbox integration actually. That seems to have less horrifying problems.

Yes please!

Erwin posted:

Pixel art looks like poo poo.

lovely pixel art looks like poo poo
For a more reasonable example, play sword and sorcery

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know there's a Hearthstone thread (I checked many pages and didn't find it) but man if anyone knows of a good online resource for like "hey, this is a good starter strategy/clinic on how to play better" I would read that poo poo right up.

[edit] I think when people speak of Pixel Art, they are referring to 8 and 16 bit retro simple blocky designs. At least in current gaming lexicon (and the complaints that follow.)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Feenix posted:

I know there's a Hearthstone thread (I checked many pages and didn't find it) but man if anyone knows of a good online resource for like "hey, this is a good starter strategy/clinic on how to play better" I would read that poo poo right up.

[edit] I think when people speak of Pixel Art, they are referring to 8 and 16 bit retro simple blocky designs. At least in current gaming lexicon (and the complaints that follow.)

There's multiple Hearthstone threads and they're all in A Blizzard Subforum. Other than that, level up your heroes to ten, build a good Basic deck you find online, and play a lot.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

This kind of plasticky overdone cartoon style immediately tells me 'this is a freemium shovelware game I should avoid', so I'm glad of it for that. It's in everything - that awful Dungeon Keeper trash, the new Rollercoaster Tycoon, everything Zynga... it's a bizarre universal language of creative bankruptcy.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees

Keystoned posted:

A few more words about Electrium because it's my main pop in time waster at the moment.

The hike in fuel costs right now is really killing me. Fuel is sitting at 3.31/unit and everything else except Radine is < 3.00. If I average the 4 elemental prices I get 3.08/unit revenue. While it is leading to some interesting decision making (is it worthwhile to keep producing spacerock when fuel is so expensive?) I do hope that the two are somehow linked and that if fuel remains at such a high level then the cost of elements will also increase to compensate (as it would in real life conditions). Also I am definitely to blame for having to shill out so much for fuel right now since I chose not to build any gas harvesters thinking I could buy all I needed. I'm paying the price right now and it hurts. Having the option to garage ships without destroying them so I could build in some gas ships now and then swap my rock ships back in at a later date without losing them be a huge help and increase my investment in my company.

This is how my company skyrocketed into first place. I have three max level fuel ships that were turning out a ton of cash on the market when fuel was capping out at around 3.2-3.4 per unit. It's a fun time waster, but after only playing for a few days and having all max level ships I kind of wish there was something else to do to upgrade my company. Oh well, time to see how high my stock value can climb.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Wayward Soul is really neat but it's really hard. I guess I just have issues with touch screen controls. Anyway to get this working with a blue tooth keyboard or something?

Also is it possible to beat the boss as the paladin in the intro or do you just eventually die?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Soma Soma Soma posted:

This is how my company skyrocketed into first place. I have three max level fuel ships that were turning out a ton of cash on the market when fuel was capping out at around 3.2-3.4 per unit. It's a fun time waster, but after only playing for a few days and having all max level ships I kind of wish there was something else to do to upgrade my company. Oh well, time to see how high my stock value can climb.

If I had a chance to do it differently and was more than just me coding it, I would have created a planet map where you'd farm planets instead of imaginary rocks. I was highly limited on resources and time with Electrium, but never short on ideas.

I'm glad you enjoy it as a time waster. It is its intention (with a bit of social depth). The App Store is nearly impossible to crack into the game category without a large pile of dollars or, a truly unique game, or a featured promo. All three of which Electrium doesn't have going for it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not a dig in the least, but yea, Wayward Souls, in my opinion, is way too legit/challenging/fun a game to play with touch controls. I just can't feel like I'm doing as well as I feel like I should. MFI support will see me all over it. And then I'll buy the Vita version, too.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 25, 2014

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Paradoxish posted:

Kind of depends on the pixel art in question. Tiny Dice Dungeon was made by people who apparently don't understand that mixing "resolutions" looks like poo poo, and so the whole thing looks like poo poo. On the other hand, I think most vector art is ugly as hell. Your example in particular is something that I couldn't disagree more with, since I love the FTL art even if it isn't technically all that great.

FTL ain't vector art, guys. It's a locked resolution on PC as well and you can't resize the window version. It's as pixel art as it gets and it's probably the ONLY good example of pixel art, for me. I strongly dislike the technique in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Just in case anyone else has the issue of no music playing in Wayward Souls, I uninstalled/reinstalled and restarted my ipad and the music is working as intended now. Really nice soundtrack!

• Locked thread