Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

STAC Goat posted:

I've actually been trying to be less critical of Spencer so as not to annoy you guys.

I thought "lame-o" was totally safe to say as a silly thing without starting something.

I have now learned the true power of the venomous, controversial insult "lame-o".

I thought lame-o was the perfect way to describe Spencer after his vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mackay posted:

:lol: Thank goodness Spencer has all you guys to defend him against all the incredibly hateful venom being spewed at him from that one dude who called him a lame-o.

If it's any consolation, I don't like most of his posts that aren't about Spencer, either :shrug:

dimejubes
Dec 2, 2006
did I just do that?

Metropolis posted:

Jefra seems basically incapable of playing double agent against her alliance [...]

Very true, but plan B was apparently to accept she was voting against them and to guess which way the votes were going. However unlikely it was for Jefra to pull it off, there wasn't much reason not to try it, unless Spencer thought it would be terrible for Tony alliance to know he had the idol. If anything Jefra would've crumbled in front of Trish but still been caught in the middle because she was scared of Spencer's idol ruining all their plans, and may still have rejected the Tony alliance at the last minute. Jefra & co talked about who might have the idol, but it's different when you absolutely know an idol is going to be played and you're just hoping the dice rolls your way.

Also, echoing the super idol sadness. The edit had me resigned to thinking he'd find it several minutes before he actually did. I don't really think people will vote for Tony at the end though.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

BGrifter posted:

Did anyone in the thread pick up Phillip's book?

I bought it... for Gulag Dolls for being Player of the Game in a SA Survivor season.

Then I bought a copy for me. :smuggo:

It's about what you'd expect.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I wish they'd structure immunity idol hunts so that a clue would lead to ANOTHER clue, and the idol would be impossible to find without having, say, Clue #3, through being so devilishly hidden. Obtaining the HII clue would mean more then. Also it would be an AWESOME TREASURE HUNT, rather than a bunch of random digging around landmarks.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Spatula City posted:

I wish they'd structure immunity idol hunts so that a clue would lead to ANOTHER clue, and the idol would be impossible to find without having, say, Clue #3, through being so devilishly hidden. Obtaining the HII clue would mean more then. Also it would be an AWESOME TREASURE HUNT, rather than a bunch of random digging around landmarks.

You mean rather than randomly digging where the producers tell you to dig?

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 25, 2014

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Spatula City posted:

Kind of how it used to be. But now everyone knows all the spots that they hide them in so they can just go to that one unique looking tree near the camp and do 5 minutes of searching and find the idols. Though I will give them credit that all the other idols this season were pretty well hidden outside of the super idol.

EchoBase
Dec 11, 2001
Are they not allowed to give away immunity any more? I thought that Tasha would give away immunity and then they could decide who to use the hidden idol on after seeing the others reaction. It's unlikely that Tony's alliance would have worked out a code for switching their vote to Tasha so it would be pretty obvious if they switched to her.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DurosKlav posted:

Kind of how it used to be. But now everyone knows all the spots that they hide them in so they can just go to that one unique looking tree near the camp and do 5 minutes of searching and find the idols. Though I will give them credit that all the other idols this season were pretty well hidden outside of the super idol.

I've noticed the same thing. The idols are almost always hidden in or around the unique looking tree near the camp. Tony was smart enough to actually dig for the drat thing near the tree, though.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I was thinking about the super idol that the only way to get rid of it is to have everyone on the tribe vote for the guy who has it, save one person who votes some other randy. That leaves the all the votes for who has the super idol, the one the guy holding the super idol votes for and then the one random person to tie the vote at 1 a piece.

But even then what do you do now?

What a cluster gently caress.

Maybe they could have done all Tony, Tony votes LJ, then Spencer votes himself to get the random. Then on the re-vote would LJ and Spencer both be safe? Tash has immunity then they're forced to vote someone on their alliance because you can't re-vote the same 2?

Just theory here, I know Tony's alliance would gently caress it up for them but it's interesting to think about the best way to combat this piece of poo poo idol.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 25, 2014

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Super Idol is pretty lame unless there's some other twist to it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The super idol is fine for now, it hasn't changed anything. It only becomes lame once it's used to shift a vote by being announced rather than cancel a vote.

My hope is that he announces it at tribal and some people believe him but the others don't. Maximum insanity.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
A simple vote split is the best counter to the Super Idol-- the big difference between the Super Idol and regular idol is that vote splitting is the *only* way to counter the Super Idol. On one hand, the Super Idol isn't a big deal because the players have gotten so good at vote splitting, but on the other hand vote splitting is only possible if you have a 2/3rds majority, which is much harder to come by so late in the game (and its actually impossible at the Final 5).

On a related note, I'm kind of amazed how good the players have gotten at vote splitting. Given that those tight 3-3-3 vote splits are so precarious that even one person voting unexpectedly can change the outcome, it's surprising that it's only really happened like two times (Cirie and Tyson in Heroes vs. Villains). Especially amazing that things never went awry in Caramoan given that they unnecessarily split almost every vote, and Sherri and Erik entertained the idea of ruining everything every single week but never actually went through with it.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Poque posted:

My hope is that he announces it at tribal and some people believe him but the others don't. Maximum insanity.

That would be delicious to watch.

Mackay posted:

:lol: Thank goodness Spencer has all you guys to defend him against all the incredibly hateful venom being spewed at him from that one dude who called him a lame-o.

No, it wasn't about any word he used -- it was just the latest (at the time) in a long, LONG trail of posts about Spencer. Spencer isn't exactly one of my favorite people, but Jesus. I mean, it says a lot when every time I see STAC Goat's name I immediately think, "Dude that hates Cochran and Spencer with a passion and goes on long diatribes about everything in Survivor" -- how many times do you think someone would have to mention a player for me to associate them with that player (either as a hater or a lover), when I can't even remember or recognize anyone else's user names in this thread (besides Poque and Propoganda Machine)?

Midrena fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 25, 2014

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Poque posted:

The super idol is fine for now, it hasn't changed anything. It only becomes lame once it's used to shift a vote by being announced rather than cancel a vote.

The Super Idol is lame because it virtually guarantees that the rest of the players in the game can't even attempt to vote that person out. It's literally a free ticket to the finals unless someone does something super idiotic.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Midrena posted:

how many times do you think someone would have to mention a player for me to associate them with that player (either as a hater or a lover), when I can't even remember or recognize anyone else's user names in this thread (besides Poque and Propoganda Machine)?

!!!

I'm not sure whether to :allears: or :ohdear:

Has anybody listened to Rob C's podcast with Eliza? Is it any good? I like her facial expressions, but I don't know if she has podcast to match.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Aerox posted:

The Super Idol is lame because it virtually guarantees that the rest of the players in the game can't even attempt to vote that person out. It's literally a free ticket to the finals unless someone does something super idiotic.

That Super Idol is an annoyance when the season has been really good so far. I enjoy Tony's antics and would like him as much as Tasha to get far, but not because of an idol that takes away any sort of risk to him. There's no such thing as blindsiding Tony now. Someone mentioned vote-splitting, and I guess that's the only way to flush the drat thing out in the sense that you have 2 people you want to go home and you don't give a poo poo who goes, as long as the majority votes for Tony and he's forced to use the idol. Then you just hope Tony doesn't get Immunity and just get him out next TC. But ehhh... that Super Idol just takes away quite a bit of the uncertainty and excitement.

Propaganda Machine posted:

!!!

I'm not sure whether to :allears: or :ohdear:

Haha, it's mostly that I see you often because you're part of the threads for the only 2 reality TV shows I watch (Survivor and The Amazing Race) so you're familiar to me. Like a comfort blanket. :v:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Has anybody listened to Rob C's podcast with Eliza? Is it any good? I like her facial expressions, but I don't know if she has podcast to match.

I'm going to skip it unless someone says it's amazing. Eliza is kind of unbearable. Always stirring up drama and talking poo poo about new players on Twitter trying to get attention. Of the former players on the show she seems to be one of the most desperate for attention.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BGrifter posted:

I'm going to skip it unless someone says it's amazing. Eliza is kind of unbearable. Always stirring up drama and talking poo poo about new players on Twitter trying to get attention. Of the former players on the show she seems to be one of the most desperate for attention.

I used to read her recaps that she wrote for some site, until she went absolutely crazy over the caramoan first boot, and started spewing the vilest poo poo as if it was some personal affront. She continued abusing certain players all season. I also note that she abandoned her recapping that season, and never came back to it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

BGrifter posted:

You know, I thought I hated Eliza, and then Corinne showed up. You wwant affluenza unbearable? In the pre-game podcast this year, Corinne bitched about Survivors not getting first class seats on the plane out to the shoot. She even loving considered upgrading her ticket until she realized that it would peg her for elimination right off the bat.

I mean, being rich and affording nice things is one thing, but that is some entitlement right there. On the flip side, Eliza went to Sidwell Friends ($35k/year high school in DC, same place the presidents' kids go), and all we really get from her is snark. Remember the family visit in Vanuatu?

"Oh my god, Mom, they wanted to vote me out first, and you know what their reasoning was?" *pause* "They thought I was annoying." (laughs)

Midrena posted:

Haha, it's mostly that I see you often because you're part of the threads for the only 2 reality TV shows I watch (Survivor and The Amazing Race) so you're familiar to me. Like a comfort blanket. :v:

Whoa, I barely feel like I post there. Do I? I don't play e-peen or livewatch, and it's hard to talk about Amazing Race throughout the week, besides gently caress Brenchels :mad:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Aerox posted:

I agree, BUT that isn't a thing until Tony announces that he has it. Until then, people are free to continue scheming against him as they would any other player.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Aw man, Matt getting booted the second he got back from Redemption Island is both really hilarious and also kinda sad. Poor guy :smith:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

BGrifter posted:

Eliza is only on the latter part of the podcast, I'm about an hour in and it's Andrea Boehlke and Vytas with Rob, they're both really charming and it's a lot of fun so far. I'll report back when it's over.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Eliza is only on the latter part of the podcast, I'm about an hour in and it's Andrea Boehlke and Vytas with Rob, they're both really charming and it's a lot of fun so far. I'll report back when it's over.

Trip Report: Eliza is not funny, interesting or insightful. If you skip the second half of the podcast, you won't miss anything.

But seriously, Andrea and Vytas were great. Listen to them, then delete the episode.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

EchoBase posted:

Are they not allowed to give away immunity any more? I thought that Tasha would give away immunity and then they could decide who to use the hidden idol on after seeing the others reaction. It's unlikely that Tony's alliance would have worked out a code for switching their vote to Tasha so it would be pretty obvious if they switched to her.

No one does this anymore because it's a surefire way to get yourself eliminated, and even in the best case it doesn't really help your alliance either.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Spencer's team already openly talked about a Plan B when they moved from Tony to Jefra at the council where Kass flipped, there's no way Tony's alliance didn't do the same thing in case of idol/discussion shenanigans.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Lone Goat posted:

But seriously, Andrea and Vytas were great. Listen to them, then delete the episode.

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up on this I totally would have missed it. Vytas would be excellent and I remember enjoying Andrea on the podcast previously. I'll just shut it off when it gets to Eliza.

I just find it really tedious having to hear Rob C go on about Eliza putting herself over on Twitter every week. At least with Corinne it's in a regular pre-season interview with sort of a Don Rickles vibe.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Poque posted:

Survivor Nicaragua thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3336907

Might be worth finding the double quit and then the final couple episodes.

This is nostalgic. Really makes me miss the days when I could livepost in the threads.

Regarding the latest new episode, not sure how to feel about it. Super idol is dumb but Tony is amusing. Still rooting for Spencer but it's not looking good for him.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I actually started to rewatch Nicaragua since I remember nothing about it. Some really hilarious oearly game poo poo.

Not sure why people hate Naonka so much, she's comedy gold.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

As much as I've been enjoying Tony this season, the Tyler Perry Idol made me like him a little less, just because it's such an over-powered game changer.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

As much as I've been enjoying Tony this season, the Tyler Perry Idol made me like him a little less, just because it's such an over-powered game changer.

Yeah, it seems like they were expecting a lovely season (no returning players, of course it's going to be a lovely season says Jeff) and so pre-planned to have this idol get put into play to make things interesting. Of course, it's had the exact opposite effect. It really sucks, because it has such a high chance of ruining the remainder of the season.

It's really mind boggling that Jeff Probst can host and be a producer on the show for 28 seasons and yet, when it comes down to it, have such a poor idea of what makes a season of survivor good.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Me and my roommates decided to watch through Heroes vs Villains during this season. One of them said in the merge episode, "Russel is a lot like Tony. But what Tony lacks in being a rear end in a top hat, he makes up for in spyshacks."

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Met posted:

Me and my roommates decided to watch through Heroes vs Villains during this season. One of them said in the merge episode, "Russel is a lot like Tony. But what Tony lacks in being a rear end in a top hat, he makes up for in spyshacks."

God, what a treat. The first episode of HvV gave me the biggest fangasm ever. The second biggest came after the merge when Amanda, Rupert, and Candice failed spectacularly.

And Parvati reading JT's letter :allears:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Tony is more personable. His strategy is more erratic, but unless the editors are really lying to us, he handled the post-LJ situation REALLY WELL, soothing everyone except Jefra. I wish that idol hadn't existed, but Tony deserves a huge amount of credit for getting to this point, and I think, idol or no, he'd be in until at least final 5. Next boots will probably be one of the brains and then Woo or Jefra.
Spy-shack is awesome, and the principle is very sound (overhearing other people's conversations to get an advantage). Hell, if anyone remembers Pearl Islands, one of Sandra's biggest moves was taking Tijuana out to eavesdrop on Fairplay and Burton, which turned her against them. Granted, that lead to Tijuana going home, but considering Sandra and Chrysta (spelling?) were on the chopping block, it bought them three more days. It's funny because Tony calls it the "spy shack" but it's a legitimate, intelligent strategy as long as he doesn't get caught.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

God, what a treat. The first episode of HvV gave me the biggest fangasm ever. The second biggest came after the merge when Amanda, Rupert, and Candice failed spectacularly.

Just finished the Merge episode where Parvati gave Sandra and Jerri idols. Oh ho that was great. :allears:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Met posted:

Just finished the Merge episode where Parvati gave Sandra and Jerri idols. Oh ho that was great. :allears:

Still my favorite council of all time. Lots of crazier social stuff has happened, but nothing was as satisfying and as entertaining as that.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

I always wondered where JT got a pen to write that letter.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Murmur Twin posted:

Someone, Candance I think, had a journal as their luxury item. Presumably it came with a pen.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Murmur Twin posted:

Jt: So *producer* I need a pen so I can write a letter to Russell and give him my idol. :downs:

Producer: Here take mine. :roflolmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
^^^^^^^^
I always assumed this was the exact case.

Murmur Twin posted:

We need to post back-to-back more often.

• Locked thread