Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

That'll be the centerpiece of Wayne Coyne's nonstop attention whoring.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Paging Surfingelectrode

Nah, I'm at the point where I straight up hate the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
UK stores have started selling their left over stock. I managed to get King Gizzard. Excited.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Abu Dave posted:

UK stores have started selling their left over stock. I managed to get King Gizzard. Excited.
Lucky, wankers on EBay have been hocking it for over $300. I wanted it pretty bad!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would trade it for Eyes Like the Sky though, I cannot find that for the life of me.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
how do y'all not have records pressed with cum in them I have like 7 of them :confused:

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

stay depressed posted:

how do y'all not have records pressed with cum in them I have like 7 of them :confused:

they said records, not noise tapes

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
you dont press tapes you dub them. idiot.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

It came tonight, sweet 180 gram white vinyl, and signed.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I went by Human Head to ask about the lathe guy they had in, it's this dude: http://www.audiogeography.com/records.htm

Those prices are pretty drat cheap, so if you think you're getting rich from a one-off record, this is your chance!

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
That page doesn't explicitly state you need to own the rights to your audio like other cutter/presser pages but it is somewhat implied.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ron Burgundy posted:

That page doesn't explicitly state you need to own the rights to your audio like other cutter/presser pages but it is somewhat implied.

I know United Record Pressing scans your music to detect infringement, I'm sure the smaller guys don't do that and couldn't realistically know what everything is unless it's totally obvious.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think if you are making one copy and not selling it, you are covered by the AHRA. It is like making a tape, but you are hiring someone else to do it for you, and it is a record and not a tape... but it is an analog recording for personal use, which is what I think is relevant.

If you tried to turn around and sell it this wouldn't work, obviously.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

On the Lathe Trolls site I saw some discussion about personal copies, it seems like something they've gone over quite a bit.

Here's a little of the thread I read where a guy is looking for beginner lathe biz advice and the topic changes to personal copies:

quote:

In short the service will be: create a personalized vinyl record from your favorite digital music. It will be sort of a gimmick like creating a mixtape.

quote:

Will you be licensing the music you intend to copy? If not, you are violating copyright laws by reproducing others music

quote:

We've debated this on the forum before. If you have purchased a piece of music, you do have the right to make a personal copy. You can buy music from itunes and have it on both your computer and your phone. Perfectly legal. We've debated weather transferring formats is really any different. If I buy a song and want it on my phone or on a record for my own personal use as a backup copy, what is the difference? So, if I pay someone to do the transfer, what is the difference? So, is what this person suggesting really illegal? They aren't suggesting selling these on the corner or in a store or online. They are suggesting one-off creations for individual owners of the music.

quote:

There is indeed a thread on this, but I have consulted with lawyers recently and it is not so cut and dried, it turns out, at least in the US, and at least as of very recently. I was surprised. Something to know!! Be careful.

quote:

I do beg to differ with your opinion on this topic. In no way is making a record the same as putting a copy on your computer and phone. You are making a mechanical copy of the music and this is clearly prohibited by US copyright law. Whether the copy is sold or given away, you need a license to make this copy. In fact you would need a mechanical license and a master license to create this copy. The person who bought the music in not making the copy, a third party is, who is trying to make money. I feel the views on copyrights here are skewed to rationalize being able to make copies of other peoples music. I have to kick master back to clients if they even contain a sound bite from a movie

quote:

I don't argue that people should not be able to make copies of their music. Making mix tapes was once a favorite pastime of mine. If a large entity decided to try and enforce a copyright case against me or the people I work for, it would cost me my business. I believe that United was once shut down due to pressing records with uncleared samples. Part of my job is to make sure this does not happen to the folks I work with

quote:

It's a case for the courts, really. We might have our personal beliefs about what is "fair", but the laws in the US are made with the input of pretty powerful lobbying from the record industry. I have not heard of record companies going after any individuals who are doing such things, but I feel it is only right to mention that, in fact, in the USA, they could
http://www.lathetrolls.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4680

Sorry about the wall of quotes, here look at this pretty $10000 record cutter

Then look at this thread about a bootleg pressing plant getting raided in England: http://www.lathetrolls.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1923&hilit=bootleg

I'm starting to really like that site.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 26, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just got Cypress Hill's Temples of Boom LP (no cover) and the Miami Vice soundtrack for $1 each. Crate Records is fun.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Snowy posted:

I just got Cypress Hill's Temples of Boom LP (no cover) and the Miami Vice soundtrack for $1 each. Crate Records is fun.

I was just there around noon! Picked up Men at Work's first album.

Was very tempted to just buy a stack of random funk/disco singles. So many amazing generic sleeves/covers ("disco tonight!"). Anyone here ever just do a blind bulk purchase like that?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

abraham linksys posted:

Anyone here ever just do a blind bulk purchase like that?

I may have already mentioned this, so apologies in advance, but I bought hundreds of 70s funk/soul/disco records at once for .05 each about 20 years ago. It was something like an old record store's inventory, all unplayed perfect condition. Lots of doubles, I got up to 7 copies of some of them, the best single purchase I've made. I've sold and traded a lot of them but I still have several hundred and there are tons of gems. Best one is Skull Snaps' It's a New Day, which has one of the most sought after break beats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsDEof4hOOo

So yeah, buy bulk when you think it's right!

And now I'm almost positive I said all that before :smith:

SableDoux
Apr 26, 2014

abraham linksys posted:

Anyone here ever just do a blind bulk purchase like that?

Yeah! When I first got into vinyl, one of my local stores had a number of bulk House/Disco boxes $10 each (100-ish records per box). I bought 3. It's actually very fun to go through them 1 by 1. Listening to and discovering new stuff that I would have never known about.

Of course, the conditions of the records vary, but overall everything was pretty drat good. Out of 300 or so records, maybe 3-4 were unplayable. Most were barely played or brand spankers.

I went through them all, and picked out all the ones that I liked, which totaled about 90-100 records. Then re-boxed up all the stuff I didn't, and plan to resell those at some point.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Just came back from several hours of crate digging at Bananas Music over in St. Pete. I only got about halfway through one section of unsorted records, and am already itching to go back. :sweatdrop:

The biggest find for me personally was the David Lee Roth Leonard Cohen record, only three bucks. But listening to it, there're quite a lot of pops and clicks. It doesn't look too scratched up, but it is definitely dirty.

What's the general consensus here for cleaning vinyl? Bananas sells a decked-out cleaning kit, but it's like, $80. I figure there are probably much cheaper solutions.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Soap and water, then discwasher, then crazy vacuum machine in increasing order of expensiveness

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dogen posted:

Soap and water, then discwasher, then crazy vacuum machine in increasing order of expensiveness

Discwashers are great if you want to move a bunch of gunk around in the grooves of your records. If you can't afford a vacuum machine, get yourself a Spin Clean.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Discwashers are great if you want to move a bunch of gunk around in the grooves of your records. If you can't afford a vacuum machine, get yourself a Spin Clean.

Spin clean, that's what I meant :doh:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dogen posted:

I figured it was worth making a distinction in case because I would never, ever recommend a Disc Washer to anyone.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Ballz posted:

Just came back from several hours of crate digging at Bananas Music over in St. Pete. I only got about halfway through one section of unsorted records, and am already itching to go back. :sweatdrop:

The biggest find for me personally was the David Lee Roth Leonard Cohen record, only three bucks. But listening to it, there're quite a lot of pops and clicks. It doesn't look too scratched up, but it is definitely dirty.

What's the general consensus here for cleaning vinyl? Bananas sells a decked-out cleaning kit, but it's like, $80. I figure there are probably much cheaper solutions.

Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?

Seriously though, I was wondering about this earlier. There are records that I'd probably pick up if they were cheap just to listen to them -Dark Side of the Moon, Let it Bleed, maybe even Sports - but I've never listened to them and have no interest in actively looking for them. I figure a lot of indiscriminate collectors shop like this.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Dogen posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. Spin Clean is what I saw at the store, and a quick google search shows that $80 seems par the course for the starter kit. A little pricey imo, but I'll probably pick one up eventually.

Cloks posted:

Seriously though, I was wondering about this earlier. There are records that I'd probably pick up if they were cheap just to listen to them -Dark Side of the Moon, Let it Bleed, maybe even Sports - but I've never listened to them and have no interest in actively looking for them. I figure a lot of indiscriminate collectors shop like this.

I am a child of the 80s so yes, I have an inherent fondness for Huey Lewis. Having said that, Sports was not one of the records I had specifically set out to find and buy, but it grabbed my attention as I thumbed through hundreds of LPs today. I like just about all the songs on it, it was cheap (everything in that pic was $3 except for Kilroy Was Here which was $5) and it was in pretty good shape. Of course, American Psycho ended up being the deciding factor when I was debating whether to buy this album or Fore! instead.

How often will I listen to it? I dunno, I actually have a fairly sizable record collection, most of it made up of old LPs inherited from my late mother-in-law so more often than not I find myself picking an entirely random record I'd never heard before to see if I'd like it. Since I don't own it on CD or have mp3s of it, I can see myself on occasion reaching for Sports. At least I know exactly what I'm getting when I drop the needle. :coolfish:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 27, 2014

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Unfortunately my dad's house burned down today. He was a pretty big vinyl collector. Here's some horror pics:

And here's most of what we tried to salvage. There was a surprising amount that weren't burned or smokey, but almost everything got wet. There's still a ton sitting in standing water, these were all in cabinets.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
:stonk:

That is so terrible. I don't even like to imagine something like that happening.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I feel sick

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.
How did it catch fire in the first place (if you don't mind me asking)?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

3dou posted:

How did it catch fire in the first place (if you don't mind me asking)?

Electrical fire in the basement. The house was 114 years old. Thankfully he and his pets are fine, and the garage with his two classic cars was mostly ok. He had decent insurance, but his house was full of trinkets, books, old radios, and whatnot. It was like walking into an antiques store with neat stuff stacked to the ceiling. I might have posted some pics from a few years ago earlier in this thread, but they're probably lost to waffleimages now. (edit: looks like it was the last thread)

Check your old wiring, folks!

wa27 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 27, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

Unfortunately my dad's house burned down today. He was a pretty big vinyl collector. Here's some horror pics:

And here's most of what we tried to salvage. There was a surprising amount that weren't burned or smokey, but almost everything got wet. There's still a ton sitting in standing water, these were all in cabinets.

The horror....

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I'm vomiting in disgust intermittently in a full and repeating 180 degree arc.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

Cloks posted:

Pick up Eddy Grant's Killer on a Rampage.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Woah, crazy. In 2012, my apartment burned down along with all approx. 500 or so of my records. Sucked a lot and took some time to decide to get back into buying them again. I feel your pain wa27, total bummer. Glad you salvaged some stuff from it though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Here's Mondo's Jurassic Park releases.

That first one, though....

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Well, at least they are finally showing up.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Nice that they got John Hammond to show off the LPs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Here's Mondo's Jurassic Park releases.

That first one, though....

Is there anything different about them aside from the covers?

Speaking of which, why the hell isn't the iconic red and yellow JP logo the cover?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Is there anything different about them aside from the covers?

Speaking of which, why the hell isn't the iconic red and yellow JP logo the cover?

Mondo doesn't do classy.

Also, one will be amber and the other I presume black.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When are they coming out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Here's one I haven't heard of, a cd-record. It's a cd that also has grooves cut into it so it plays either way. Kind of goofy but fun. http://justinlloydcreative.com/piaptk/lathecuts/cdrecords.html

I can't stop looking at lathe poo poo, I want one so badly.