Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Did John Kerry say something on Western Sahara?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Pharrell is huge in Kyrgyzstan and French Guiana apparently

(also Japan and S Korea but who cares :haw: )

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Who is John Green?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Beyonce in Southern Africa, the British Isles, and Australia :psyduck:

Elyv fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 25, 2014

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

Who is John Green?

Runs a youtube vlog, also a bestselling author now.

http://time.com/70799/john-green-2014-time-100/

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Is that Tajikistan that talks about Abdullah Gül, and why isn't he more of a thing in Turkey itself? (Also Miley Cyrus :psyduck:)

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

How the hell does anyone in Bhutan know who John Green is?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is Christiano Ronaldo that popular around the world?

I don't even know the name, let alone his face. Who is he?

Torrannor posted:

Is that Tajikistan that talks about Abdullah Gül, and why isn't he more of a thing in Turkey itself? (Also Miley Cyrus :psyduck:)

That is Tajikistan. It would have made sense in any of the other central asian -stans, because they all speak Turkic languages, which means they'd get lots of media and stuff from Turkey.

But Tajikistan speaks a version of Persian. So.... I don't know.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Count Roland posted:

He is the official Second Best Footballer of the world

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Antwan3K posted:

Indeed, none shall ever challenge George Best's primacy :smug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Representing the stronghold of Miley Cyrus in Europe :patriot:

Kurtofan posted:

Did John Kerry say something on Western Sahara?

WS has population of about 300 thousand, so it would be easy to skew statistics by a mere fluke - but yes, Kerry has recently criticized Morocco for their treatment of WS http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/africa/2014/04/04/Kerry-in-Morocco-for-security-talks.html

Antwan3K posted:

Yes he is probably one of the most recognizable figures in the world, except maybe the US. I think only Obama, Putin and Messi are comparable, now that Mandela has died.

e: probably Bush too
I would guess the Pope(s) as well.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Antwan3K posted:

He's quite literally officially the best in the world at the moment

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
- The pope is more popular in several African countries than his native Argentina, not to mention UAE and Sri Lanka!?
- Why is Miley Cyrus so popular in Lithuania, Czechia and Iceland?
- Ronaldo is most popular in Mongolia, even though from what I've heard wrestling is the most popular sport there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kopijeger posted:

- The pope is more popular in several African countries than his native Argentina, not to mention UAE and Sri Lanka!?
- Why is Miley Cyrus so popular in Lithuania, Czechia and Iceland?
- Ronaldo is most popular in Mongolia, even though from what I've heard wrestling is the most popular sport there.

Note that the map displays deviation from the average - so I suppose the fact that a personality is relatively more popular in one country than in the rest of the world doesn't mean it is THE most popular personality.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

Note that the map displays deviation from the average - so I suppose the fact that a personality is relatively more popular in one country than in the rest of the world doesn't mean it is THE most popular personality.
As far as I can tell, the map is also kind of a map of which heads of state/government are important (or at least Time 100), since you would assume they would be talked about quite a lot in their home countries compared to everywhere else. Merkel is important, that British rear end in a top hat isn't.

(When I took a look at the map again, I thought Michelle Bachman was somehow big news in Chile. I was relieved when I reread it.)

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

tbp posted:

He's quite literally officially the best in the world at the moment

We all know Zlatan hands out the official title

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Slovenia is really into Angela Merkel.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Count Roland posted:

Some really good soccer/football player who plays in Spain.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

As far as I can tell, the map is also kind of a map of which heads of state/government are important (or at least Time 100), since you would assume they would be talked about quite a lot in their home countries compared to everywhere else. Merkel is important, that British rear end in a top hat isn't.

(When I took a look at the map again, I thought Michelle Bachman was somehow big news in Chile. I was relieved when I reread it.)

It is also based on Facebook conversations, which favour the young and tech savvy. And if you're reading TIME, there's a decent chance you speak at least some english and are familiar with American culture.

Mongolian wrestling could be way more popular, but there are no mongolian wrestlers on that list, and the fans might not even talk about it on facebook anyway.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

Greenland, an autonomous country in Denmark, also has its own ccTLD.

On the same subject, here's another politically loaded map, and a rather recurrent one in this thread:

Former (blue) and current (red) countries on the UN's list of Non-Self-Governing Territories (i.e. colonies).

French Guiana was removed after a year after France said "nah, they're totally an integral part of our country". Algeria, for the same reason, was never listed.

Gibraltar is listed as a NSGT but Ceuta and Melilla, across the sea, are not; Spain convinced Morocco to not submit it to the initial list and they've been rueing it ever since.

The Falklands had a referendum last year in which only three people out of 1,500 votes (and an electorate of 1,650) voted for a change of status. Due to the usual protestations of Argentina, they remain on the list.

The Pitcairn Islands, with a population of 50 (mostly comprised of rapists), is listed, and feasibly cannot become self-governing (although the rapists tried their hardest to convince them of the opposite).

French Polynesia is on the list due to their pro-independence former president Oscar Temaru asking for them to be inscribed. Two weeks before the inscription, Temaru lost an election to the autonomist Popular Rally, who immediately asked not to be added, to no avail.

New Zealand industriously holds referenda on independence in Tokelau every few years; the Tokelau Islanders have thus far refused to cooperate.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

New Zealand industriously holds referenda on independence in Tokelau every few years; the Tokelau Islanders have thus far refused to cooperate.

They very nearly (by 16 votes) missed entering free association à la Cook Islands or Niue in the last one, evidently.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Count Roland posted:

A twat.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/04/25/state-pride-gallup-montana-alaska/8140879/

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/04/16/177512687/a-whom-do-you-hang-with-map-of-america

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Christ, is Rhode Island some kind of shithole hellscape and I never knew about it?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

It's confirmed: Illinoisans hate themselves.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

It's confirmed: Illinoisans hate themselves.

Having relatives in Illionis, I can confirm this.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

What does this mean when a state's citizens say they dislike their state? Do Illinoisians hate Chicago? Lake Michigan? Springfield? Or does it mean they hate, say, their state's government?

As a lifelong Illinois resident I've only heard far right wingers say they hated this state. Plenty of people hate our government but love where they live though

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Emanuel Collective posted:

What does this mean when a state's citizens say they dislike their state? Do Illinoisians hate Chicago? Lake Michigan? Springfield? Or does it mean they hate, say, their state's government?

As a lifelong Illinois resident I've only heard far right wingers say they hated this state. Plenty of people hate our government but love where they live though

They ask the question "is your state one of the best states" and people interpret the question however they want.

Illinois blows, I wish we could move Chicago to someplace better

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Why does Rhode Island hate itself so much?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lycus posted:

Why does Rhode Island hate itself so much?

Smallest state, best known for its roosters, and...?

Is it a tax haven or something? I don't know but if so Delaware even beats it in that.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

I think urban environments are just extremely disillusioning. I mean take Maryland, too. It's extremely economically high-performing and has quickly become one of the most politically progressive states in the country. You'd think those would be reasons to at least keep it out of the "we loving suck" range, but that's just simply not gonna happen in a highly urbanized state.

I mean, I don't even think that's because cities are lovely to live in or anything like that, but just that they kind of kill off the silly "regional pride" mentality in favor of a more realistic big picture mindset. Personally I don't think any state can realistically claim to be the "best" except for maybe Vermont or Hawaii.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

esquilax posted:

They ask the question "is your state one of the best states" and people interpret the question however they want.

Illinois blows, I wish we could move Chicago to someplace better

Illinois without Chicago is basically just Indiana, which sucks, but it's not like we're in Mississippi or something

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

CaptBushido posted:

I think urban environments are just extremely disillusioning. I mean take Maryland, too. It's extremely economically high-performing and has quickly become one of the most politically progressive states in the country. You'd think those would be reasons to at least keep it out of the "we loving suck" range, but that's just simply not gonna happen in a highly urbanized state.

I mean, I don't even think that's because cities are lovely to live in or anything like that, but just that they kind of kill off the silly "regional pride" mentality in favor of a more realistic big picture mindset. Personally I don't think any state can realistically claim to be the "best" except for maybe Vermont or Hawaii.

Well, regarding Maryland the two urbanized areas are Baltimore and the northern suburbs of Washington DC. I don't know what the rest of the state thinks of DC, but I've only heard bad things about Baltimore from anyone thats visited there. Besides, California likes itself on that map, and it's pretty urbanized too, isn't it?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Miley Cyrus beat the president of Turkey in Turkey.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Emanuel Collective posted:

Illinois without Chicago is basically just Indiana, which sucks, but it's not like we're in Mississippi or something

Illinois sent troops to fight for the Confederacy, Indiana repelled confederate raiding parties.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

It is heartening to know that despite everything, New Jersey largely knows its place.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Regarding the "do you like your state" thing, I have history in NH and Maine and gotta say the rural aspects and small cities make for an easygoing lifestyle despite long winters and the horrid economy. I can see why northern New England likes itself more than its neighbors like themselves.

I currently live in Montgomery County, Maryland and can possibly help weigh in on that peculiarity as well: the majority of MD's population is centered around Washington, DC or Baltimore. Baltimore is nice in some areas, but it's still getting its act together from the drug and crime epidemics, so the general consensus is "god we still suck."

Maryland around DC is too overpopulated for its infrastructure. The public transit system is unreliable because unions and the bureaucrats pocket most of the money (Metro's GM makes 2x more money than NYC's transit GM does... With a service area 1/10 the population :ironicat:). That means over half the city's commuters drive. The way the city developed in the early 20th century hosed up the road system, so while the city has a great grid, everything immediately outside of it is a horrendous bottleneck (takes me an hour to commute 8 miles one way). On top of that, MD's portion of the beltway is always snarled with traffic, the water infrastructure in my county is statistically the worst in the USA, and everybody lives in a wasteland of exurbs hastily built in the 50s and 60s. Also half of anyone who works in DC is a type-A personality.

So despite being technically a liberal and progressive state, everybody is tired of it all and stressed to all hell.

So glad I'm moving this summer.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Yet another map with horrible colors. What the hell is Russia and east europe supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Frostwerks posted:

Yet another map with horrible colors. What the hell is Russia and east europe supposed to be?
Putin.

The President of Turkey has fans in Tajikistan, I guess.