Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kimmalah posted:

Which ones? You mean the guys on the pillars? If so, yes.

Lighting dark areas mostly. You can also set certain things on fire which can be immensely helpful in some levels. I don't feel like it's a gimmick, you genuinely need them in some levels.

Oh okay, good to know. I see a lot of torch stands early game but I feel there's no point since all the environments i've encountered have some sort of lighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Omfg there's a whole nother row of zones in the TP menu, I was confused why I couldn't tp back to the poison fortress.

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me
so, about mytha, I'm assuming I don't have to fight her in a room full of poison since I've tried everything to tank it and I don't think I can.

Can I get a tip about what to do because I've scoured the place and can't find the way to solve this.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Omniblivion posted:

Once you get used to the attack sequences, it's not as bad. Just really make an effort at noticing their patterns. Even with 2 of them, the shield dudes are pretty easy. Just bait their attacks and roll away, then get a swing or two in.

Yeah, I'm starting to get the hang of it. I'm not used to games that actually require you to pay close attention. Just killed the Dragonrider though! :woop:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

randomcommoner posted:

so, about mytha, I'm assuming I don't have to fight her in a room full of poison since I've tried everything to tank it and I don't think I can.

Can I get a tip about what to do because I've scoured the place and can't find the way to solve this.

Burn everything. Everything.
The windmill specifically

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

randomcommoner posted:

Go up to the big windmill blades earlier in the area. Set them on fire, it will burn off the poison.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

sorry I didn't see my own post so thought it didn't go through

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Kay's back!

She did an impressive blind run of the first Dark Souls just a few months back that got some attention around these parts.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

randomcommoner posted:

it's difficult to give tips about this, but i'll tell you what's up in spoiler blocks go to the upper earthen bonfire and go back around the corner, you can light the hinge of the windmill blade on fire which drains Mytha's room of poison. there will probably be a bunch of orange signs pointing to the place you're supposed to torch

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch
Is there a way to bind that heal over time item to a hot key like the flask is?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Just started progressing thru the Cathedral; really enjoying the game so far. The beginning has been far more difficult than DS1 - the basic big fat dude enemies in the cathedral feel like similar difficulty to Black Knights to me. Lots of dudes overall who have a lot of hp and hit hard but who are slow, while at similar points in progression in DS you were just fighting hollow still.

But that might just be because I'm rusty - first time using a controller since I last played DS back in early 2013.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shadalator posted:

Is there a way to bind that heal over time item to a hot key like the flask is?

Yes, place the lifegem in your slot where the flask is.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Hollow Groose does not look so good.

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me
thanks guys I should've paid more attention to the writings around that zone, I can't see it being something intuitive though, specially taking into account you burn the windmill starting from the metallic part for some reason but I guess I didn't pay enough attention

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

randomcommoner posted:

thanks guys I should've paid more attention to the writings around that zone, I can't see it being something intuitive though, specially taking into account you burn the windmill starting from the metallic part for some reason but I guess I didn't pay enough attention

It's probably not really. I think they're just hoping you get curious and close enough to see the prompt. But yes, definitely read messages. A lot of people are trying to be helpful, a few are trolls, some are funny. :)

InsomniacTurtle
Aug 8, 2013
I just got the game installed and am trying to use my PS4 controller through x360ce, and the controller works in game but all the buttons are hosed up, my square button is mapped to x, x is mapped to X, and its getting pretty frustrating trying to fix these controls. Any help?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm going to anyway but if I join the bell guardians does that mean I can go through the belfries untroubled, like most of the forest in DS1?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm going to anyway but if I join the bell guardians does that mean I can go through the belfries untroubled, like most of the forest in DS1?

No. Everything is still hostile and you will still be invaded. The only covenant I know of like that is the Rat covenant.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

This game does look good on PC.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Hah! Of course not! What did you think this was, a good game?

InsomniacTurtle posted:

I just got the game installed and am trying to use my PS4 controller through x360ce, and the controller works in game but all the buttons are hosed up, my square button is mapped to x, x is mapped to X, and its getting pretty frustrating trying to fix these controls. Any help?

Just use the DS4 Xinput, it's much smoother and better than what you're using.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alright I take it back. gently caress the Gutters. Would've been fine if the loving poison statues didn't respawn but of course they do.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
All the people terrified about invaders. Go talk a few times to the guy in Majula sitting by the big statue. Join the 'Way of Blue', wear the ring and friendly phantoms will come aid you when you're invaded.

I want more people to help god dammit!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kimmalah posted:

No. Everything is still hostile and you will still be invaded. The only covenant I know of like that is the Rat covenant.

Well this will be interesting then. To Luna!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

All the people terrified about invaders. Go talk a few times to the guy in Majula sitting by the big statue. Join the 'Way of Blue', wear the ring and friendly phantoms will come aid you when you're invaded.

The real reason you're not getting much action is because no one is getting invaded. Because it's so time consuming to get red orbs in ng, it's very rare to be invaded by a red (I think I've been invaded by reds in ng a total of 5 times in my several hundred hours of play).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Alright I take it back. gently caress the Gutters. Would've been fine if the loving poison statues didn't respawn but of course they do.

They only respawn if you leave the area or die. So resting at a bonfire will not. Small consolation I know.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

I was wondering what joining that covenant did but so far I have not been invaded even once

pblol
Jun 27, 2008
I'm using a generic controller and it seems like I can't map my own buttons? The only options are a bunch of pre-set, overly complicated, keyboard binds.

edit: oh there is a separate menu for mice, that's weird. I still have to bind my controller to stuff on my keyboard to get around this poo poo though :\

pblol fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 26, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ethanol posted:

I was wondering what joining that covenant did but so far I have not been invaded even once

You invade the worlds of sinners, not the other way around. Give people time to accumulate enough sin. It's basically Dark Souls police force. :v:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Genocyber posted:

The real reason you're not getting much action is because no one is getting invaded. Because it's so time consuming to get red orbs in ng, it's very rare to be invaded by a red (I think I've been invaded by reds in ng a total of 5 times in my several hundred hours of play).

Even then the Way of the Blue/Blue Sentinel relationship is pretty borked and unrealiable.

Unless you get really unlucky you don't have to be worried about being invaded, more so this early in the game's release well that is until you walk into one of the Belfries :unsmigghh: Saw a guy already walking round with the full Bell Keeper's set at the bonfire.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd be accumulating all the sin I could if I had any red eye orbs to use, but I've only found two so far. Kind of lame.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I did it! I found the immortal shadow dwarves!

e: Wow Belfry Luna is short.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 26, 2014

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Game rules. I like the increased difficulty at the beginning, and there are all sorts of minor changes in the presentation and environment that feel very refreshing.

The visuals only seemed marginally better (with the framerate standing out) until I stepped out into the sunlight for the first time. Goddamn.

InsomniacTurtle
Aug 8, 2013

neetengie posted:

Just use the DS4 Xinput, it's much smoother and better than what you're using.

Yeah, I downloaded that now, and it still isnt fixing this problem :argh:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Where is the save game located? Doesn't seem to be in any of the usual suspects and I'd like to back it up.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd be accumulating all the sin I could if I had any red eye orbs to use, but I've only found two so far. Kind of lame.

Kill the host as a helpful phantom/spirit. They invite you into their world and then you do something that kills them (like hit them in the face with a ballista bolt) and you'll get sin. No orb needed.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Dont you worry the minmaxe4s arent far behind.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
is there any reason I should keep the sleepin white knight under the tree alive

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

InsomniacTurtle posted:

Yeah, I downloaded that now, and it still isnt fixing this problem :argh:

Use DS4Windows instead, and select the option to hide ps4 controller. It should fix it.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

Where is the save game located? Doesn't seem to be in any of the usual suspects and I'd like to back it up.

AppData/Roaming/DarkSoulsII

Saves can only be used with the Steam account they were created with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I see backstabs are as laggy as ever. Does guard break not work online?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 26, 2014