Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Can we conquer Paradox Plaza and change the culture? I know that's basically genocide, but I'd be alright with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Attack the natives!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Attack the natives!

You can trade marginally lower revenue for much reduced revolt risk!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jeoh posted:

Can we conquer Paradox Plaza and change the culture? I know that's basically genocide, but I'd be alright with that.

Only if we get the "A Goonish City" event afterward.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
DrProsek has formed a Coalition against Paradox Plaza!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Being a casual follower of the Grognard Games thread, I find it pretty amusing that people playing Hearts of Iron are complaining about some features being streamlined or "gamified", and turning down their noses at Paradox appealing to "casuals".

(HOI is pretty loving casual to begin with by the standards of some WWII games. Not intending this as an insult in the slightest, those other games have levels of detail that would make me poo poo my pants if I tried to play.)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Any change, no matter what, is dumbing down! :eng99:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

On an unrelated topic, SuperPower 2 feels like a dumbed-down, modern-day Paradox game.

Though the AI tends to make some truly baffling decisions:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

Just re-release Red Orchestra 2. Say it's a WW2 grand strategy game, only here's the catch: it's character-driven, like CK2! Every time you play, it rolls you a random character and bam! you're in the war. It just so happens that the odds of not rolling an infantryman are basically zero.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love the poeple saying HoI player has ever complained about too much detail or micromanagement.
Yeah, that's totally not the game's biggest flaw or anything or why a huge amount of HoI fans lost interest at HoI3.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DStecks posted:

Being a casual follower of the Grognard Games thread, I find it pretty amusing that people playing Hearts of Iron are complaining about some features being streamlined or "gamified", and turning down their noses at Paradox appealing to "casuals".

(HOI is pretty loving casual to begin with by the standards of some WWII games. Not intending this as an insult in the slightest, those other games have levels of detail that would make me poo poo my pants if I tried to play.)

Which is also ironic because the single most important thing holding the wargame niche back from being mainstream is a refusal to acknowledge that the User Interface is important and needs to be thought about.

To paraphrase Sid 'god-king of strategy' Meier, every design decision in a game needs to be an answer to the question "does this pose a meaningful choice to the player?" Making sure all my Panzer Divisions get their Panzer Leader bonus isn't actually an interesting choice, it's something I just want to happen by default.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

For April fools next year release a bunch of screenshots for HOI4 that are just HOI3 with the number 4 edited into the menu screen.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Kilonum posted:

On an unrelated topic, SuperPower 2 feels like a dumbed-down, modern-day Paradox game.

The player can make even stupider decisions, such as my game as a Canadian theocracy. I somehow got my hands on a few nuclear missiles and fired 5 or so at North Korea, but I'm not entirely sure anyone noticed because it didn't lead to any repercussions :shrug:. Might have had something to with the war between China and Russia over reasons I never figured out.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Kilonum posted:

SuperPower 2 is a pretty old game now so that doesnt surprise me. Its also pretty fun in MP, depending on the kind of people you get.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kilonum posted:

Hell, that's nothing, how about 2/3 of the world implementing a one-child policy on day one of the game? That's my experience with Superpower 2.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Announce that in response to the backlash over major generals, you've decided to go the other direction. Major generals are back, and you've decided to add in colonels, majors, captains, and lieutenants as well, with game effects so minuscule that no sane person would ever actually pay attention to them. Then sit back and watch as your most insane fans spend months talking about how they're going to optimize the Soviet order of battle by placing the most competent lieutenants in charge of this or that platoon.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Announce that in response to the backlash over major generals, you've decided to go the other direction. Major generals are back, and you've decided to add in colonels, majors, captains, and lieutenants as well, with game effects so minuscule that no sane person would ever actually pay attention to them. Then sit back and watch as your most insane fans spend months talking about how they're going to optimize the Soviet order of battle by placing the most competent lieutenants in charge of this or that platoon.

I won't be satisfied until each and every member of my armed forces is statted up and under my personal command.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
You guys need to step up your game if you want to make outrageous suggestions, someone over on the HoI4 forum has already expressed the hope that we'll track the caliber of ammunition used in all guns and have units using mixed loadouts, either from captured equipment or poor planning, suffer supply penalties.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
I want CK2 style family trees and detailed character bios for every solider, commander, and minister!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Only filthy casual untermensches would object to personally assigning each and every sergeant and corporal. TRUE wargamers demand that we choose which cadets get promoted to private.

Basically, remake Jagged Alliance but with like a million times as many dudes on screen and make the map world sized.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Bootlaces of the Western Front DLC.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I want you to track every single person in the entire world, their professions, and how many bullets they make a day.

This will be the most accurate simulation of the USA outproducing the Axis powers ever.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
HoI4 is just a ploy to distract people from your real new wargame, a WWI licensed game built off of CKI.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Kilonum posted:

I'm curious, since the 'newly' released Steam version seems to include at least SOME changes from the previous, 10+ year old build: Did they ever fix that drat autarky bug that would eventually render every game unplayable because all economies worldwide collapsed?

I really wanted to like SuperPower 2, there's just nothing like it on the market. Not even by Paradox. :(

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Darkrenown posted:

You guys need to step up your game if you want to make outrageous suggestions, someone over on the HoI4 forum has already expressed the hope that we'll track the caliber of ammunition used in all guns and have units using mixed loadouts, either from captured equipment or poor planning, suffer supply penalties.

War in the Pacific, a game where you can individually manage every pilot in the Pacific doesn't even track ammunition, it's just supplies.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Announce that they're bringing them back, but to preserve historicity the player will not be able to reassign them.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

vyelkin posted:

I want you to track every single person in the entire world, their professions, and how many bullets they make a day.

This will be the most accurate simulation of the USA outproducing the Axis powers ever.
It's not a very well known fact, but FDR personally oversaw what equipment was issued to every single serviceman and the specs of every piece of equipment - from the trim level of each jeep to the upholstery on the captain's chair of the USS Midway. He was the modern world's first grognard.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Paradox please grant me a decision to remove the gold fringe on my flags in court to reduce revolt risk. Oh, and the ability to play as Hitler after he moves to Argentina.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Since we're on the topic:

[Tell] me if I should get Superpower 2 on Steam.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Cantorsdust posted:

Since we're on the topic:

[Tell] me if I should get Superpower 2 on Steam.

No.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Superpower 2 is really bad. It's basically the CIA world factbook with the stats randomly changing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's not a very well known fact, but FDR personally oversaw what equipment was issued to every single serviceman and the specs of every piece of equipment - from the trim level of each jeep to the upholstery on the captain's chair of the USS Midway. He was the modern world's first grognard.

This is not a joke for Germany, when Hitler was managing the Eastern Front down to individual companies late in the war

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I've played like 20 hours of Superpower 2 and I still have no idea how to build my army. The only way I know how to fight is nuclear missiles. My economy will collapse or boom for reasons that I can only guess at (in addition to that bug that late game will just crash everyone's economy for no real reason).

Overall, good for a laugh, US$8 is the most I'd ever pay for it, maybe there's a mod or something out there that makes everything all better, but I heard even the Steam version is fairly buggy.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Can you add a poll in the Ho4 subforum for "Do you want Divisional Commanders in HoI4?" but then somehow make any option they choose redirect to "No!"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Kersch posted:

Can you add a poll in the Ho4 subforum for "Do you want Divisional Commanders in HoI4?" but then somehow make any option they choose redirect to "No!"

Ah, the ol' Bioware branching.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is not a joke for Germany, when Hitler was managing the Eastern Front down to individual companies late in the war

Please make a 'Hitler in a bunker' DLC, where you can micromanage phantom armies down to the tiniest detail, and the game just humors you as you inevitably lose.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mantis42 posted:

Please make a 'Hitler in a bunker' DLC, where you can micromanage phantom armies down to the tiniest detail, and the game just humors you as you inevitably lose.

Only if they can get the rights to use that "Downfall" clip.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Do not think that Paradox does not hear your cries! HoI4 shall not succumb to the casual gaming fad that has taken so many franchises! In our fight against casualness, we are pleased to announce one of HoI4s major game changers. For the first time ever, Paradox will take from you the comfort of pausing. No longer can you sit and manage your country and armies while the world waits for you, the game speeds have now been condensed to Fast/Faster/As fast as your system can handle.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Time compression? A real videogamesman plays in real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

uPen posted:

Time compression? A real videogamesman plays in real time.

Pfft, how crazy would someone have to be to play a World War II military simulation in real time, am I right?

• Locked thread