Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ratzap posted:

It looks kind of large and heavy for a small amount of wing area
Understatement of the year.

Whats happening when you get up above 10k is that the atmosphere thins way out so stability surfances (especially tailfins) lose their authority. That's why they go into a flat spin at the slightest provocation. High-altitude planes do well doubling up on tailfins, and add a rudder surface as well. Rudders are great in KSP, they work better than real life.

Get some of the big delta wings, and ditch one of those mk3 fuselages. Mk3 fuselages suck. You probably don't want those control surfaces way out on the wingtips -- planes are pretty happy to roll with nothing more than SAS torque.

Or just make your spaceplane look more like a conventional airliner than a cool SSTO SR-71. The unfortunate think about KSP is that the best spaceplane is a Scientology Space DC-X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
How am I going to add more wing area than that? I'm already sticking things out wider with the rocket fuel and that one blocky extender; should I just be sticking one wing on the end of another wing? Because I actually did try that in the designer, but it looked like hell.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Sistergodiva posted:

Are all mods installed before the Nasa patch hosed? Because then I'll probably just wait until 0.24 to get stuff sorted out again. Any ETA on that?

Thinks weeks, not a month.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Maxmaps posted:

Thinks weeks, not a month.

Awesome, considering how much more fun science made the game for me, having missions is going to be awesome. Is 0.24 just missions or also parts costing money?

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Klyith posted:

ditch one of those mk3 fuselages. Mk3 fuselages suck.

Alternatively, you could tweak the fuel levels in them down so they don't weigh so drat much--who needs that much jet fuel?

I was actually disappointed the ability to tweak parts in the VAB didn't include being able to add liquid oxygen to fuselage tanks rather than just all fuel. Might make Mk2's and Mk3's more desirable.

While I'm beseeching the KSP gods, could we make it so stability enhancers automatically go to the first stage when you add them instead of vanishing somewhere in the middle of the list? Rare is the scenario where I need to go through like 5 stages before releasing my rocket from the ground.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Sistergodiva posted:

Awesome, considering how much more fun science made the game for me, having missions is going to be awesome. Is 0.24 just missions or also parts costing money?

Just the mission system since it ended up being far beefier than we thought it would be. Like seriously it started with the simplicity of the Reaper of Souls bounty system and suddenly we added modifiers to the missions and personalities to the companies and poo poo went nuts.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Maxmaps posted:

Just the mission system since it ended up being far beefier than we thought it would be. Like seriously it started with the simplicity of the Reaper of Souls bounty system and suddenly we added modifiers to the missions and personalities to the companies and poo poo went nuts.

:(

Ah, well. That's still pretty cool! Looking forward to it!

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Inglonias posted:

:(

Ah, well. That's still pretty cool! Looking forward to it!

Sorry :( on the bright side, I was lucky enough to be part of the process that outlined the rest of the year for KSP and we've got some crazy cool stuff coming up that people haven't even speculated about yet, so we'll make it up to you!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Eesh. Well, I added another of the giant wings in front of the first pair, stuck a delta wing on top, and I managed to get it out of the atmosphere. Unfortunately, it just totally guzzles fuel when in closed cycle - I couldn't even establish a low orbit before running out. Oh, well. Spaceplanes are probably not the way to go.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ratzap posted:

That's cool, it helped me clarify the differences between some of the methods by trying to explain to someone else so it's all good. Sexy plane you got there but it could use external seats for lucky passengers.
I made a plane a couple of days ago and only remembered I was playing real sized earth when I launched it. "This isn't going very fast" I thought to myself then remembered everything is 10x bigger.
So then I hopped on the bandwagon and built an Ion exploiter

Note the nifty, patented rotating solar panels! Power whether I'm heading toward the Sun or at a tangent to it.

Sometimes teaching is the best method of truly understanding something.

I'm surprised the drat thing flies. It was a quick throwtogether but it does have the distinction of the first plane I've made with an orange tank that actually works. If I had been more with it at the time I would have put RAPIERs on it instead of the fighter engines but I like the props. When I've knocked over some important IRL stuffs I'm going to have a good look at properly getting started with Unity / Monodevelop. I mightn't be versed in C# but it's no big. I know that drat many languages that any new ones are just variants of xyz. usually only takes me a few hours to get a handle on things.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you’re using closed cycle below 35 km, you’re doing it wrong. Throw on more air intakes. You want at least quadruple that amount.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 25, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Platystemon posted:

If you’re using closed cycle below 35 km, you’re doing it wrong. Throw on more air intakes. You want at least quadruple that amount.
It doesn't matter. There's not enough delta-v to reach a 150k circular orbit, not by half.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Strudel Man posted:

It doesn't matter. There's not enough delta-v to reach a 150k circular orbit, not by half.

How much horizontal velocity did you have? Don’t try to get out of atmosphere at quickly as possible. Milk air‐breathing mode for all it’s worth because it sips fuel, especially at high altitudes. Starting at 25 km up, build speed at a constant altitude till you can’t get much more, then climb a little bit and build more speed. Repeat till you’re at 40 km and over 2000 m/s.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

General_Failure posted:

I mightn't be versed in C# but it's no big. I know that drat many languages that any new ones are just variants of xyz. usually only takes me a few hours to get a handle on things.

Meh, C# is just microsoft pouting and mumbling 'we can make a java too!'. Heap + stack, runtime interpretation and a large dose of OO juice. I learnt it in a couple of evenings last year for the same reason as yourself - I felt like making something that was missing from KSP. It's not that bad at what it does but I wish there weren't so many silly variants all catered for at the same time. MS just can't help but play special snowflakes I suppose.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Maxmaps posted:

Sorry :( on the bright side, I was lucky enough to be part of the process that outlined the rest of the year for KSP and we've got some crazy cool stuff coming up that people haven't even speculated about yet, so we'll make it up to you!

Obviously, we need to start speculating then!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm having trouble figuring out how exactly to use the science lab. Is it worth sending one to orbit Mun/Minmus to get all the science there? Or is it only worth it for other planets?

Should I bother trying to recover it back to Kerbin? What about the crew? Do they just stay there forever?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I'm just not going to worry about it. Spaceplanes are more trouble than they're worth.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Strudel Man posted:

I'm just not going to worry about it. Spaceplanes are more trouble than they're worth.

That's what makes it so much more rewarding when you're successful!

Take a break though. Getting frustrated is the exact opposite of fun. I do imagine you'll want to go back eventually, and when you finally do manage that perfect design you'll be pleased as punch. A-yup.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah. They're in an awkward spot right now, but overall they need a strong pass.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Strudel Man posted:

I can’t argue with that. Just like real life. :911:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ratzap posted:

Meh, C# is just microsoft pouting and mumbling 'we can make a java too!'. Heap + stack, runtime interpretation and a large dose of OO juice. I learnt it in a couple of evenings last year for the same reason as yourself - I felt like making something that was missing from KSP. It's not that bad at what it does but I wish there weren't so many silly variants all catered for at the same time. MS just can't help but play special snowflakes I suppose.

To be fair, C# fixes some of the worst brain damage from Java. That said, "a better Java" is not a very high bar to clear.

I keep toying with the idea of writing a KSP plugin in Clojure - I even know what I'd like to implement - but every time I look at ClojureCLR the documentation is hot garbage, which combined with the general lack of good docs for KSP plugin development in general makes me suddenly a lot more interested in my other projects.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Maxmaps posted:

we've got some crazy cool stuff coming up that people haven't even speculated about yet
Well now I'm curious.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Ion powered exploit you say?

Still has enough left in the tank to climb back to orbit

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Maxmaps posted:

TELL ME YOUR SECREEETTTSSS!!!

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Luneshot posted:

I can do wild speculations.

A competing mustachio bearing space program who races you to milestones! Aquatic exploration! Large ground radio telescopes and a SETI program, missions to meet the mysterious aliens if you pick up a radio signal from them! A black hole is discovered near Kerbin! Deep impact style save the planet from extinction missions! Additions to the astronaut training complex, put your kerbals in the centerfuge or take them up in the vomit comet to gain valuable training! Stock robotic parts, hinges, servos and an easy to use basic scripting system for them! Rover specific command modules with sweet iva's for ofworld races to the deeeeeeath.

I would also say base building and offworld mining but that has already been speculated about in depth.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ratzap posted:

I just had a quick read of the skeleton.s file you put up and the notes you posted. My life is kind of hectic so I can't act right now but on first inspection it didn't really hold any surprises for me. It'll probably give people fits but what I see is a combination of Java, C++, OO Pascal (choose your label), a few concepts from GDI and MFC, and a fair bit of the event handling techniques from PalmOS, and I suppose by extension to a lesser extent Android.

The only problem I can foresee is working out how to hammer the files into the IDE I can build and test it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Spaceman Future! posted:

I can do wild speculations.
Crowds of civilian kerbs that show up at the space center to: protest against your wasteful over-spending on struts / demand that you release the real Mun Landing Conspiracy footage / confess to the world that you are in contact with the Big Pink Men from outer space!

A press conference minigame you play through a Mass Effect style dialog wheel to announce your latest science triumph or tragedy of a lost kerbonaut!

Vehicle design is now in first-person, you have to stack up modules, tanks, and engines with your totally-not-a-Gravity-Gun!

Official mod hosting moves to the Nexus! :nexus:

And a cover system, for some goddamn reason.

Maxmaps posted:

Yeah. They're in an awkward spot right now, but overall they need a strong pass.
I totally agree with the decision Harv made a while back to switch focus to other sections of the game, but I'm really glad aerodynamics are high on the list once you circle back to the flight section.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

General_Failure posted:

I just had a quick read of the skeleton.s file you put up and the notes you posted. My life is kind of hectic so I can't act right now but on first inspection it didn't really hold any surprises for me. It'll probably give people fits but what I see is a combination of Java, C++, OO Pascal (choose your label), a few concepts from GDI and MFC, and a fair bit of the event handling techniques from PalmOS, and I suppose by extension to a lesser extent Android.

The only problem I can foresee is working out how to hammer the files into the IDE I can build and test it.

The weirdest bits aren't C#, they are the bastard offspring of Unity3d. In some ways you can do lots of things then in others (like the GUI area, example font spacing) you can't do a drat thing without redefining large chunks. Getting it into the IDE is laughably easy: with mono open go to View -> Solution then open arrows till you see 'Assets' then right click -> add -> add files to get a browser up. Obviously toss your files in Assets first :)

You'll probably also need to go Project -> edit references to add the KSP DLLs from <KSP>\KSP_Data\Managed

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Luneshot posted:

Even bigger engines and a better claw so we can steal Gilly from Eve and bring it back to Kerbin!

Or on a sadder note:

Visiting the parents of the brave Kerbonauts to tell them their child didn't survive the mission to roast steaks on the Poodle engine because someone accidentally set it to high thrust. :smithicide:

Speaking of which. I skipped out of the last thread for a while, what ever happened to that mod with the cardboard pods and upside down barbecue thrusters? Did it ever get finished?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spaceman Future! posted:

Aquatic exploration!

I would seriously love this. If the parts and physics were just a bit more boat-friendly without quirks KSP would cover pretty much every known mode of travel, and with the freedom to build something that can do any one or combination of them.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Klyith posted:

The unfortunate think about KSP is that the best spaceplane is a Scientology Space DC-X.

For some reason I took this as a challenge to try to build my own MadDog with stock parts. Here's the Kerbal DC-9/MD-80 project that came to be:

How most of the flights ended

This is what most of the iterations were based off. All but the rear most fuselage/tank was empty, to drive the CoG/CoM back, but I didn't realize how much of a non-insignificant amount the engines were contributing to nosing the plane over and fighting the (small) tail surface preventing the MD from rotating. So, I went against the letter of the design and dropped the engines down low, since you can't angle them:

Flies like a pig, though I'm trying to decide if it flies better or worse with SAS on. Ended up crashing it on landing, via left wing strike. The landing gear survived, not much else did. I'm sure once I work out the kinks, I'll have Delta's procurement department ringing me up in no time.

What kind of plane parts mods are out there? I'm curious if I can build a Fred or Buff or an An-225.

edit:

Feeling a particular kinda crazy tonight. So I did a take on the Focke-Wulf Triebflugel

Not a brilliant record of success, but so far has killed less Kerbals than the Mad Dog

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 26, 2014

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Spaceman Future! posted:

Aquatic exploration!

drat, I was going to post this.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Holy smoke better atmospheres and distant objects make this game look incredible. I've always been irritated by the skybox being so bright all the time, and the distinct darksides of planets looks much better too. Note for those curious: the better atmospheres mod doesn't yet come with terminator coloration (so Kerbin loses its nice sunrises/sunsets) but the mod maker is working on it!

Those two bright objects are Duna and Jool. Your spacecraft also show up as tiny pin points of light (if they're in the sun). I didn't think the engine was capable of this level of detail, it really makes the game look incredible, although better atmospheres can still look a bit strange.

The mods used are:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55905-0-23-5-7-3-EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-NEW%21-VolumetricClouds%21
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/77523-0-23-5-Better-Atmospheres-V4-April-23rd-2014/page6
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69907-0-23-Distant-Object-Enhancement-v1-3-Planets-satellites-in-the-night-sky%21-%283-3%29

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

YF19pilot posted:

So, I went against the letter of the design and dropped the engines down low, since you can't angle them:

Except that you can? Hold shift and press W/A/S/D to rotate in I think 5° increments.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Klyith posted:

And a cover system, for some goddamn reason.

Forced stealth missions.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Since I saw a Triebfluegel a few posts up, have a Silbervogel;

Requires FAR to work properly. Also, landing is pretty !!fun!!.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Quite a lot of things ended up in this picture.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Maxmaps posted:

poo poo went nuts.

Calling it: most :jeb: statement this patch.

Luneshot posted:

- More than one tree with a starting tech each. To wit, the current one is rocket-based, but also a different one with a lot of plane and mini-probe tech early, then the rocketry and heavy parts later?

- Part malfunction/repair

- Cargo bays

- Mod content rolled into the game, but with toggles. Notables to include temperature, oxygen, G-force pilotkill, etc.

- BOATS :jeb: For use on both Kerbin and Eve

- Locking docks, essentially fusing parts into a more secure bond for all your spacetrain needs.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Competing space programs trying to steal your glory, science and asteroids? "Accidentally" build an ICBM instead of Munrokkit to set them back by ramming their spaceship at launch sending it hurling into their destructable buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

haveblue posted:

I would seriously love this. If the parts and physics were just a bit more boat-friendly without quirks KSP would cover pretty much every known mode of travel, and with the freedom to build something that can do any one or combination of them.

That, and fixing the underwater skybox. I can, however, understand why that is not a priority. Maybe someday they'll release a fuel tank with a density greater than water that you can burn to increase buoyancy :jeb:

• Locked thread