Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Woohoo! Beat Dragon Rider on my first try without looking anything up. The "closer is better" advice reeeeeally helps everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

quaunaut posted:

People keep saying "You can go somewhere else" but never say where. The most I can think is buying a Pharos and going into that tunnel in Maj, but where I'm at now I don't even know if I have an easy way to get the 2,000 souls necessary.

It also doesn't help that apparently I joined the most worthless covenant in the game,

WE BRING YOU THIS LIVE BULLETIN OF SOMETHING I READ IN ANOTHER TAB WHILE WRITING THIS

...apparently I joined the Covenant that makes everything harder. :j:

Oh, that gate doesn't use the pharos lockstone! You need to grab the miracle lady in Heide's Tower. She opens it (for 2,000 souls, but still).

And yes. Welcome to Darks Souls II. Me and all my friends thought that this game was so much harder than the original, until we figured out that everything just had double health.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Barfing Cumlord posted:

Do you hate shields? Or dodging? The Sentinels are sort of tough for the time you generally run into them, but they sure as hell don't hit that hard. Or even hit you at all if you're halfway capable at strafing and rolling.

Depends on what you play. If you're a caster, it's really easy to get caught by one of them in the middle of a spell when you're basically immobile.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

MrTheDevious posted:

For some reason, the total bullshit I was feeling from the game totally disappeared after the forest. Ever since, the game feels great. The (pretty early game) Ornstein fight in not-Anor-Londo was awesome because I got to avenge the hell I went through last year :black101: I kinda missed Smough though...

Yeah, by the time you get to the first boss you've generally gotten the hang of the mechanics and you generally have at least one of the white soapstones. Then you realize that co-op makes this game so much more amazing because it's a free humanity refill and how you grind souls. So you're no longer really worried/crippled by the health loss and enemies despawning after you kill them too much.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, by the time you get to the first boss you've generally gotten the hang of the mechanics and you generally have at least one of the white soapstones. Then you realize that co-op makes this game so much more amazing because it's a free humanity refill and how you grind souls. So you're no longer really worried/crippled by the health loss and enemies despawning after you kill them too much.

I can't play coop :( I'm slogging along pretty quickly on my own though!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wish the Emerald Warden wasn't so boring. Going back to her to level up wouldn't be such a chore if she was more interesting.

Its a nice touch that she actually moves around the area though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

MrTheDevious posted:

I can't play coop :( I'm slogging along pretty quickly on my own though!

That sucks man. I've been leaving minor white soapstone sigils all over the place and use them for soul farming and estus/health/humanity refills.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Internet Kraken posted:

I wish the Emerald Warden wasn't so boring. Going back to her to level up wouldn't be such a chore if she was more interesting.

Its a nice touch that she actually moves around the area though.

Maiden in Black best way to level up :colbert:
If they made Priscilla act like her in the way that you need to speak to her to level up, that'd be pretty neato too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wait where the gently caress am I supposed to be GOING in the gutters? I finally found a path through this rickety hell hole to a fog door I thought would be progress. I mean it has a bonfire near it and everything! But I got up to the door and it said "enter from behind" implying that I'm on the wrong side. How the gently caress did that happen and where am I supposed to be headed?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Internet Kraken posted:

Wait where the gently caress am I supposed to be GOING in the gutters? I finally found a path through this rickety hell hole to a fog door I thought would be progress. I mean it has a bonfire near it and everything! But I got up to the door and it said "enter from behind" implying that I'm on the wrong side. How the gently caress did that happen and where am I supposed to be headed?

There's another fog door down the ladders, go that way.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

You're really close to the end. Head down the ladders.
edit after you go through that fog door and rest at the bonfire of course.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
Skimmed the last few pages of this thread but trying to avoid spoilers so there's a chance this question was already asked:

I hate in-game preorder bonuses that are not purely cosmetic, especially in a game like this. I hear these particular items aren't that great but I'd still prefer not to have them if possible. Is there some toggle I am missing to not get a shitload of items magically at the start of the game or is that too much to ask?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Really hope they patch sprint because it's unresponsive as all gently caress. Sometimes I have to tap and hold B several times or twitch around before my dude starts running, and it's really lovely when I'm trying to skip bullshit sections.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Antignition posted:

Skimmed the last few pages of this thread but trying to avoid spoilers so there's a chance this question was already asked:

I hate in-game preorder bonuses that are not purely cosmetic, especially in a game like this. I hear these particular items aren't that great but I'd still prefer not to have them if possible. Is there some toggle I am missing to not get a shitload of items magically at the start of the game or is that too much to ask?

If you want after you get them just discard them all.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I just started the game up on my other computer, and I don't have an option to continue. Does this game not have steam cloud support, or am i just not getting the sync?

I just double checked the store page, and the discussion forum. No steam cloud support. Thats really loving lame!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yess I love this helmet :allears:

edit: also hey where on earth can I find a catalyst?

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

neetengie posted:

If you want after you get them just discard them all.

Yeah its annoying but I can do that. Are they still available via vendor later in the game?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Antignition posted:

Yeah its annoying but I can do that. Are they still available via vendor later in the game?

Yes but they're still (mostly) poo poo.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

How do I stop this game from auto-ducking all of my background audio when I get summoned?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I don't think I like the soul memory system. I don't think the total souls you've had is a good metric of how powerful your character is. I've been playing this game like I did in DS1, where souls aren't all that important. I'm pretty sure I've tossed like 200k souls in the wind simply by being reckless. I'm at around 800k soul memory and at like level 83. And since leveling up costs less now, I feel like I'm digging myself deeper and deeper into a hole when it comes to PvP.

It sucks. I loved to just run around die a lot in DS1. I'm way more stressed than I feel I should be. Or maybe I've just been playing too much.

PvP feels weird now. Maybe I'm not used to the lag, or the fact that rolling sucks if your agility is low, or that blocking sucks. It's really frustrating when some guy tags you with a sword even though you've already rolled away and you're like half a mile away. I'm still winning fights just about as much as I lose but I feel like everything feels kinda bullshit either way.

At one point I was super mad at the game and I got invaded by 2 dudes in the Bells area. I pretty sure won that fight by channeling my anger and frustration. Like, I didn't care about winning, I was just pissed that I rolled around randomly and ran around like crazy while attacking, and somehow they both ended up dead.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 26, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

Yess I love this helmet :allears:

edit: also hey where on earth can I find a catalyst?

What kind of catalyst are you looking for? Or I guess what are you wanting to cast?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Cool, found Black Gulch, spent 3 minutes carefully destroying every statue on the path, and was then eaten by a leech for an OHKO :suicide:

You know, it wouldn't be so annoying if those statues didn't respawn and they didn't put you in poison with just two hits. Its like Blighttown only x100 worse because the toxic assholes are everywhere and they respawn.

EDIT: Which sucks since if it weren't for the statues, I'd love this area. But the statue respawning is so annoying.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 26, 2014

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

What kind of catalyst are you looking for? Or I guess what are you wanting to cast?

Just that great soul arrow spell I have. I have the intelligence, I just lack the tool to use it.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Cool, found Black Gulch, spent 3 minutes carefully destroying every statue on the path, and was then eaten by a leech for an OHKO :suicide:

You know, it wouldn't be so annoying if those statues didn't respawn and they didn't put you in poison with just two hits. Its like Blighttown only x100 worse because the toxic assholes are everywhere and they respawn.

Hey, could have been worse! You found the bonfire there right? :v:
...right?

Lord Lambeth posted:

Just that great soul arrow spell I have. I have the intelligence, I just lack the tool to use it.
Go to the trap area near Pate and look for illusionary walls.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Before I play, is there anything I need to know like "don't put points into resistance!! in DkS"?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

VisAbsoluta posted:

Before I play, is there anything I need to know like "don't put points into resistance!!" was in DkS?
Nah, there's no resistance stat in this game. Everything has some decent use.

bakahentai
Nov 3, 2003
kuso atama

quaunaut posted:

WE BRING YOU THIS LIVE BULLETIN OF SOMETHING I READ IN ANOTHER TAB WHILE WRITING THIS

...apparently I joined the Covenant that makes everything harder. :j:

Oh. God. Damnit. I thought I was just being plain ol' bad at video games. "Join covenant then relax" the message on the ground said. "Oh sure why not, these messages are never written by dickheads." :sun:

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

neetengie posted:

Yes but they're still (mostly) poo poo.

Wow holy poo poo the game doesn't even let you discard these items.

Dark Souls was the last game I'd expect them to make idiot-proof like this, but there you have it. Guess I'll just throw them in the item box and call it a day.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
The only thing about this game that makes me sad is that it makes DS1 seem drat near unplayable. I'm only at dead man's wharf and the quality of life improvements have already made it so that there is no going back. RIP. :(

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

There's a merchant in the Wharf who sells the basic staff. There's also a hidden room in Forest of Fallen Giants that has it. In the area behind the gate next to Pate.

(Spoilered illusory wall in case people want to find it themselves).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

VisAbsoluta posted:

Before I play, is there anything I need to know like "don't put points into resistance!! in DkS"?

To light a torch, go to an already lit source of flame and it'll prompt you. If it's a bonfire, you need to hit "toggle" to bring it up instead of "sit".

Don't join the Company of Champions covenant it's a challenge solo mode.

You eat human effigies to become human, you burn them at bonfires to turn off multiplayer phantoms for one hour.

Anything I missed?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ok, so where is the vendor in No-Man's Wharf? I just rang the bell and summoned Lucatiel but I can't find this dude anywhere.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

To light a torch, go to an already lit source of flame and it'll prompt you. If it's a bonfire, you need to hit "toggle" to bring it up instead of "sit".

Don't join the Company of Champions covenant it's a challenge solo mode.

You eat human effigies to become human, you burn them at bonfires to turn off multiplayer phantoms for one hour.

Anything I missed?

Level adaptability! :yayclod:

dis astranagant posted:

Ok, so where is the vendor in No-Man's Wharf? I just rang the bell and summoned Lucatiel but I can't find this dude anywhere.

The sorcery vendor or the other one that everyone is talking about? There's two in the Wharf.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Is there any way out of the Bastille before the sentinels except by killing them? I've been farming souls here and everybody I cooperate with is really bad.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Are elemental weapons in DS2 as useless outside of PVP as they were in DS1? I found a lightning and a flame sword in the first area, and I'm wondering if they're worth upgrading.

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:
I love DS1.

Is this game good enough to sell my dumb timebreaker (http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/570/Elder%20Timebreaker) to get?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Is there any way out of the Bastille before the sentinels except by killing them? I've been farming souls here and everybody I cooperate with is really bad.

The sentinels are relatively easy if you stay on the starting ledge and let them come to you. Helps to have a blunt object or 2.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

dis astranagant posted:

He's in a building somewhere up near the bell. I almost murdered him the first time I saw him for looming up out of the gloom in an inclosed space before I realized he wasn't an enemy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nathilus posted:

He's in a building somewhere up near the bell. I almost murdered him the first time I saw him for looming up out of the gloom in an inclosed space before I realized he wasn't an enemy.

gently caress that chest in his room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Black Gulch is an emerald colored death trap. I really need to get the poison resistant ring, but I have a sinking feeling it isn't going to help at all.

Good place to wear a soul protection ring though. If you die, you can safely leave with all your souls and spend them without losing "progress" since the statues already respawned.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 26, 2014