Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Saw this one on I-5. The cloth was to cover up the damage I guess? Only its end wasn't secure so it was just flapping around. Guy was going 80mph, making sudden lane changes, and passing on the right when he didn't need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sappo569 posted:

Still looks better than that crap some rapper guy made

Expanding foam is so loving flammable. I love this thing even if it's been posted before.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

PCOS Bill posted:

I've never seen a high end car not driven like that.

A couple years ago I'm sitting at a stoplight on a busy 4-way intersection during rush hour. The cross street's lights turn yellow, then red. Just as our left turn arrow turns green, a bright red Ferrari 458 blows through the intersection at WOT, had to have been going more than 100, maybe faster. He must have really been trying to "beat" that light. Obviously horribly unsafe and the driver is a shithead for doing it, but I can't say it didn't make my morning.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

blk posted:

Watching Wheel Dealers and they're working on a 1st gen SLK. Bleeding the brakes and holy poo poo that's a lot of corrosion, and they don't even mention it or do anything about it. Yikes.

I hate wheeler dealers. If we all had ed china willing to do shitloads of free mechanical work for us, we'd all be able to turn a profit flipping cars.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

AlternateAccount posted:

I hate wheeler dealers. If we all had ed china willing to do shitloads of free mechanical work for us, we'd all be able to turn a profit flipping cars.

"Oi mate I just stripped me auto down to the frame and spent 300 hours boxing the frame and repairing rust, should be able to flip this for a pretty penny!"

I think that show is interesting enough but it's so far out of the scope of reality that it's absurd.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ok good. Glad someone else brought this up. Every time I watch this poo poo it bugs me to no end that he thinks selling a car for 1000 dollars more than he "spent" fixing it is a good profit. Poor tall guy must never get paid for any of his labor.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
I was talking about it the other day. I'm not sure who the target audience really is, I mean if i had a garage full of tools, a lift, and even that crazy expensive A/C charger poo poo and ECU diag stuff then i'd probably know what i'm doing to fix a car and wouldnt need a show to tell me i could simply change the transmission oil to fix a clunky gear change.

If i didn't have any of that stuff, then what loving use is the show as it's telling me "if you were already stupidly rich enough to buy all these tools, and mechanically knowledgeable then you could fix your poo poo at home"

It's almost as bad as the old British gameshow "Bullseye" where even if you didn't win the presenter would cry out "And look at what you COULD have won" while showing a disheartened contestant the brand new yacht they could have won if only they, you know, won.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
blech... I think I may vomit.

https://www.facebook.com/CenCalTrucks

"cencal trucks" is even worse than your average bro truck style.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
We're all about $4,000 in front shocks alone!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

kastein posted:

These are the kind of dudes that would jump a Raptor off a dirt jump going 60mph.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

kastein posted:

At least they admit that their trucks are worthless at anything except looking stupid. From the FB page

quote:

this is a page of mostly trucks in central california! It is all about the big lift big wheels small tires powdercoat and chrome! all about show!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Baller Witness Bro posted:

These are the kind of dudes that would jump a Raptor off a dirt jump going 60mph.

If a Raptor could handle such a thing, I'd be lining up for my turn.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I'd do that given the chance.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I'd do that given the chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKQdlXvbWSU

In case no one has seen this video yet. It's pretty awesome (mostly because the guy destroys his truck).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every time that video comes up I can't help but wonder what happened to the bodies of the morons that were inside. It seems like the best case is a concussion, a more typical result would be a bunch of fractures or sprained muscles.

Even with the airbags going off they must have been ragdolled pretty hard.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That reminds me of another awesome "idiots with flashy trucks breaking them badly" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCfgx_krIo0

Apparently those ultra blingy four-figure-per-corner bypass shocks were mounted to the axle housing with a single tab... and a bolt... in single shear.

So the second it hit the ground, they tore off and/or the bolts broke. Whoops :haw:

Money can't buy intelligence. Fabrication skill doesn't imply engineering skill, either.

As for the guys in the last video, their spines have got to be killing them. The raptor has nice suspension but once you're on the bumpstops and there's still energy to be expended, only bad things happen. And airbags don't keep you from getting a spinal compression injury!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I always wondered if the Raptors were serious or just for looks. That answers that

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 25, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

They're serious, but they aren't loving trophy trucks.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

CommieGIR posted:

I always wondered if the Raptors were seriius or just for looks. That answers that

Trophy trucks are tube frames and barely can handle that even with 3+ feet of suspension travel, nothing with a license plate short of a dirtbike could ever survive that kind of abuse. The forces involved are nuts.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

DJ Commie posted:

Trophy trucks are tube frames and barely can handle that even with 3+ feet of suspension travel, nothing with a license plate short of a dirtbike could ever survive that kind of abuse. The forces involved are nuts.

You're talking out of your rear end man. What the hell makes you think a full set of Fox shocks couldn't support a factory stock F150? They're used for racing in the desert!

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

CommieGIR posted:

I always wondered if the Raptors were seriius or just for looks. That answers that

Oh come on, that doesn't answer anything. Even at Baja they don't do jumps that big, it would destroy a trophy truck. That was like driving off a two story building at 50+ mph, no car is going to survive that.

He was supposed to hit the down ramp, which gives you some gradual energy expenditure. He overshot it by like 50 feet, because GOTTA GO FAST AS I CAN.

subx fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 25, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Here's what a proper landing looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgEteLYwFZs&t=83s

Note that he's not slamming cockeyed onto flat, hard ground at ~30mph vertical speed.

(Note that this guy has some less-good jumps earlier in the video)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There's nothing wrong with that.

Bitching that you broke it after doing so is the problem.

CommieGIR posted:

I always wondered if the Raptors were serious or just for looks. That answers that

They're serious trucks for seriously little money. It's a $45k truck that will do 85% or more of what a $200,000 prerunner will do.

Very few people have a need for this, or even understand it's implications and limitations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Nocheez posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKQdlXvbWSU

In case no one has seen this video yet. It's pretty awesome (mostly because the guy destroys his truck).

The best part is, I bet he tried to claim insurance on it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

"Oi mate I just stripped me auto down to the frame and spent 300 hours boxing the frame and repairing rust, should be able to flip this for a pretty penny!"

I think that show is interesting enough but it's so far out of the scope of reality that it's absurd.

I enjoy the show just to watch Edd do his thing. In the early series, they would choose cars that needed realistic repairs. The last few years have been ridiculous like the Bentley they got and did a full color change.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^Or the TVR that needed a full-on chassis swap.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Bucephalus posted:

^Or the TVR that needed a full-on chassis swap.

That was pretty cool, but drat.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

veedubfreak posted:

The best part is, I bet he tried to claim insurance on it.
Wasn't the story on that video that the guy actually sued Ford because he thought the Raptor could safely do that?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I like watching Edd fix the cars and I have learned to tune Mike out for the most part. It would be nice if they mixed up the exotica with everyday cars again though.

I guess the Syrena kinda counts on that front. :v:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Wasn't the story on that video that the guy actually sued Ford because he thought the Raptor could safely do that?

No, those were the idiots that hit a cattle crossing at ~70mph and bent their frames when the rears bottomed out.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mister Kingdom posted:

I enjoy the show just to watch Edd do his thing. In the early series, they would choose cars that needed realistic repairs. The last few years have been ridiculous like the Bentley they got and did a full color change.

Yeah, I mean it's TV. A show with just Edd restoring old beautiful cars and showing what was involved and MAYBE EVEN HERE AND THERE making the case that certain repairs needn't be seen as impossible and that sometimes cars are more salvageable than they seem.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Delivery McGee posted:

My local one:

Still takes the top off a delivery truck (or a flatbed full of 2x4s, that one shut down the whole block for the rest of the day) every other month or so. It's coming right off a traffic light and the limit is 20mph because on the other side of the tracks is the old downtown, so there should be plenty of time to stop.

Renton, WA isn't loving around.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Crikey, speed limit 5? I didn't know you could get a sign labeled that low. Thats slower than a parking lot....

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
gently caress. 8 feet? My living room's taller than that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why wouldn't they just put in a railway crossing...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, I mean it's TV. A show with just Edd restoring old beautiful cars and showing what was involved and MAYBE EVEN HERE AND THERE making the case that certain repairs needn't be seen as impossible and that sometimes cars are more salvageable than they seem.

Some goon posted before that they swapped cars during some shows. Anybody know if this is true?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Or dig down a little bit and make the road lower.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Slavvy posted:

Because the low crossing is a good deal more ammusing

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I'm 2,000 miles away and know nothing about the area, but my guess is the underpass was constructed specifically to connect the neighborhoods on either side of the tracks. The pavement, bridge, landscaping and concrete all look like they were recently placed. The shallow underpass is good for bikes, people, cars and sane pickups, everything else should just use the state route one block to the west.

There had to be a reason the cut for the road couldn't have gone deeper, maybe existing sewer lines or proximity to driveway. Also, the powers that be must have wanted to connect the neighborhoods badly enough that a "nope, can't be done, bridge would be too low" from the county engineer wasn't an acceptable response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I like how Google Street View doesn't go under it, because the Street View car is too tall.