Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Zero_Grade posted:

Bonus points that everyone would be sweating their asses off.

That part seems unavoidable with most of the floated options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

StarMagician posted:

You're right, blaming Republicans for the failure of Detroit sounds like a winning strategy. It wasn't the politicians in control of Detroit's finances who bankrupted it, it was the "politics of inequality."

Detroit's been in a bad situation for years, but it's undeniable that the city was forced into declaring bankruptcy by the emergency manager appointed by the Republican Governor, in a year where the state was boasting about budget surpluses. Hell, if anything a DNC in Detroit could be a rallying cry for labor: "The Republicans are trying to kill Unions, like they tried to kill Detroit. They failed here, and they'll fail again (If you vote for us)".

It would really depend on what situation the city's in two years from now, but I do think that if they played the optics right it could be a pretty great convention.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Jeb Bush was out talking about amnesty in public again today.

That guy is definitely going to run. Awesome. Can you imagine the shitshow 2016 is going to be.

He's certainly going to try. Apparently after leaving office he went on a spree of signing up for every board of directors he could just to make money, and there's a strong chance that's going to blow up in his face down the line.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/21/us/politics/jeb-bushs-rush-to-make-money-may-be-hurdle.html

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/23/jeb-bush-im-thinking-about-running-for-president/

:newt:

You really want as many people running in the GOP Presidential as possible to make it drag on as long as possible. The real get would be Romney running again (he won't). But Bush and Paul are definitely running, and Christie is probably running, barring an indictment. Those are some heavy hitters.

Has Ted Cruz made any moves yet? I'm also pulling for Perry, Huckabee, and Santorum to hop in. Maximum shitshow.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jackson Taus posted:

Also, they were in Charlotte for 2012 - does that cut against Atlanta/Florida as being SouthEast or against Philly for being MidAtlantic or does it really not matter?

The midatlantic stops at Virginia at maximum extent, so Charlotte wouldn't count as being a midatlantic city.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Detroit's been in a bad situation for years, but it's undeniable that the city was forced into declaring bankruptcy by the emergency manager appointed by the Republican Governor, in a year where the state was boasting about budget surpluses. Hell, if anything a DNC in Detroit could be a rallying cry for labor: "The Republicans are trying to kill Unions, like they tried to kill Detroit. They failed here, and they'll fail again (If you vote for us)".

It would really depend on what situation the city's in two years from now, but I do think that if they played the optics right it could be a pretty great convention.

Detroit's convention facilities kinda suck, which is reason enough to not do it there.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I'm also pulling for Perry, Huckabee, and Santorum to hop in.

Perry is definitely in. He has thick rimmed glasses and sometimes wears sweaters now, so you know he's smart!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cigar Aficionado posted:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/23/jeb-bush-im-thinking-about-running-for-president/

:newt:

You really want as many people running in the GOP Presidential as possible to make it drag on as long as possible. The real get would be Romney running again (he won't). But Bush and Paul are definitely running, and Christie is probably running, barring an indictment. Those are some heavy hitters.

Has Ted Cruz made any moves yet? I'm also pulling for Perry, Huckabee, and Santorum to hop in. Maximum shitshow.

Maximum shitshow is any number of Sky Admiral level insane candidates, a couple psychotic Santorum level candidates, and a vast array of "moderate" and "reasonable" level candidates. Enough of the last category to keep any one of them from consolidating enough reasonable votes to outlast the insanity roller-coaster of true conservative darlings. RonRand Paul 2016!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gyges posted:

Maximum shitshow is any number of Sky Admiral level insane candidates, a couple psychotic Santorum level candidates, and a vast array of "moderate" and "reasonable" level candidates. Enough of the last category to keep any one of them from consolidating enough reasonable votes to outlast the insanity roller-coaster of true conservative darlings. RonRand Paul 2016!

So 2012, except one candidate has a different first name. Got it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Chokes McGee posted:

So 2012, except one candidate has a different first name. Got it.

No, you need more "reasonable" conservatives. Last time it was just three total and two of them were gone by the time the roller-coaster started. This time we have to hope that none of that category blow all their money on Iowa straw polls or open a debate by talkin' chinaman gibberish.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The list is basically: Christie, Bush, Paul, Ryan, Cruz, Huckabee, Jindal, Rubio, Perry, and Santorum. I hope they all run. Hell, throw Dr. Ben Carson in there too.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Cigar Aficionado posted:

The list is basically: Christie, Bush, Paul, Ryan, Cruz, Huckabee, Jindal, Rubio, Perry, and Santorum. I hope they all run. Hell, throw Dr. Ben Carson in there too.

No Kasich or Walker?

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

No Kasich or Walker?

Kasich will probs run

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

No Kasich or Walker?

In a field of big personalities, those guys are Pawlenties at best. And in terms of bizarre behaviour, their potential is minimal.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

We need the Cain train back.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I really hope Cruz runs, just to push everyone as far right as possible. I remember in 2012 when Perry got absolutely savaged by the other candidates on immigration. As a reminder, Perry (surprisingly) supports in-state tuition rates at state universities for illegal immigrants, and every other candidate used it against him. The key is that Perry's stance on immigration actually matters for governing in Texas, and "Deport them all" is not a valid stance since Texas's population is 35% Hispanic, so his stance will still be a "weakness"* come 2016.

*The fact that the one not-poo poo stance Perry has is considered a "weakness" to Republicans is so loving depressing.:smith:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

fade5 posted:

I really hope Cruz runs, just to push everyone as far right as possible. I remember in 2012 when Perry got absolutely savaged by the other candidates on immigration. As a reminder, Perry (surprisingly) supports in-state tuition rates at state universities for illegal immigrants, and every other candidate used it against him. The key is that Perry's stance on immigration actually matters for governing in Texas, and "Deport them all" is not a valid stance since Texas's population is 35% Hispanic, so his stance will still be a "weakness"* come 2016.

*The fact that the one not-poo poo stance Perry has is considered a "weakness" to Republicans is so loving depressing.:smith:

In addition to his egomania, Cruz has burned too many bridges both in Texas and with the GOP party elders to not make a run at 2016 as a "true voice of conservatism uncompromised by Washingtonian taint" candidate. His political career is at this point more of less entirely bet on a presidential run, with the usual fallback of Huckabee-esque wingnut welfare as a parachute if he fails.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Indianapolis' Mayor and convention people say DNC bid is unlikely to even be submitted. One of the reasons cited is the fundraising costs and another is that some conventions already booked would overlap with DNC dates.

Some chattering among Indiana's political class is that Indy's inclusion in that list was probably a political move itself to cause other cities to submit serious bids.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

Sancho posted:

We need the Cain train back.

9-9-9 with an 8-inch pizza. :smuggo:

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Cigar Aficionado posted:

In a field of big personalities, those guys are Pawlenties at best. And in terms of bizarre behaviour, their potential is minimal.

Kasich is actually more passionate than you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF0_Qe4zNrE

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There'll be no Thunementum in 2016.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Koalas March posted:

It should be Detroit. Rick Snyder turned us into a right to work state. They've been union busting like no tomorrow. People here are pissed. If they want an extremely pumped up and receptive crowd it should go to Detroit. The optics from inside the venue would be amazing.

It may be more beneficial to point to Wisconsin here. Scott Walker is the face of the anti-union movement there and the whole 'job creation by eliminating unions' thing didn't pan out too well considering that the state has clearly not benefitted from that policy in any way, being one of the most significant job loss leaders in 2012. Granted, the unemployment rate has shrunk in the past year in accordance with national trends...but only at the sixth lowest rate of any state with significant changes in unemployment over the past year (see page four on this BLS report for 2013-2014 changes in employment). I haven't had the chance to check the median wages there but I can't imagine those numbers are much better. Also, while the unions unfortunately lost the recall election they still have a pretty strong presence so the dems would turn out support and do shore up at least some support from unions by being there.
There's a surprisingly diverse community up there, though I admit I'm not all that informed as to where they break and can't really say anything about it. I know there are a lot of Sikhs up there, for example, but I'm not even going to guess where they trend politically, assuming there is a trend in the first place.

Bifner McDoogle fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 25, 2014

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

De Nomolos posted:

Kasich is actually more passionate than you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF0_Qe4zNrE

Kasich had a willingness to bend the law and sidestep the entire state legislature to get the Medicaid expansion in Ohio and increased the speed limits in the state. His relatively clean record and willingness to tell his legislature to gently caress off would be a good cover to make him seem likable in a presidential run, fortunately for labor rights the guy looks like he crawled out from under a rock and is willing loudly insults police officers during his speeches so he has no real chance.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Given that Hillary came out full-throated against Snowden today, 2016 will be pretty mind blowing if Hillary is the D nominee with an anti-Snowden, anti-civil liberties stance and Rand is the R nominee with a pro-Snowden, pro-civil liberties stance. This forum will contort into pretzels in order to defend Hillary's stance on Snowden. "Well I agree with what Snowden did, but Hillary is 100% right, he should AT LEAST STAND TRIAL. What's wrong with that?"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arkane posted:

Given that Hillary came out full-throated against Snowden today, 2016 will be pretty mind blowing if Hillary is the D nominee with an anti-Snowden, anti-civil liberties stance and Rand is the R nominee with a pro-Snowden, pro-civil liberties stance. This forum will contort into pretzels in order to defend Hillary's stance on Snowden. "Well I agree with what Snowden did, but Hillary is 100% right, he should AT LEAST STAND TRIAL. What's wrong with that?"

Rand Paul will contort himself into saying the same thing though.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

Rand Paul will contort himself into saying the same thing though.

Rand Paul has basically defended him, and said he should be given a light sentence. Regardless of the nuances, they stand on opposite ends of the spectrum on this one. I imagine many Democrats will get behind Hillary on this issue and her stance will effectively become their stance. Going to be interesting to see that happen if those are the respective nominees.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Arkane posted:

Because it's literally impossible for someone to support Hilary and disagree with her on something.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arkane posted:

Rand Paul has basically defended him, and said he should be given a light sentence. Regardless of the nuances, they stand on opposite ends of the spectrum on this one. I imagine many Democrats will get behind Hillary on this issue and her stance will effectively become their stance. Going to be interesting to see that happen if those are the respective nominees.

A sentence still requires a trial. Rand Paul also said he would be okay with drones killing petty thieves so even if he's saying something that's more attractive (for young/whatever voters) he'll probably mess it up somehow.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Rand opposes gay marriage, women's rights, anti-discrimination legislation, progressive immigration reform of all stripes, and is essentially indifferent to how someone is treated if they are a criminal or a foreigner. If he campaigns on a civil liberties platform, he'll be flanked pretty quickly.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The rare occasion where I agree with Arkane. All the other stuff he didn't say is irrelevant, people will find a way to downplay or poo poo on her Snowden stance.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If Clinton gets the nomination, Democrats are going to have to deal with the fact that she's historically been an enormous hawk, from the distant past to today. If she loses the nomination, it might be because she is an enormous hawk.

Thanks to the Ukraine bullshit Snowden will probably be in Russia for many more years to come anyway.

Obviously Planet Clinton thinks that the worst of the Snowden revelations are behind us.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
What's Huntsman think of Snowden?

I also wonder how she'll feel if she has to debate someone who disagrees in the primary. Didn't she at least get squishy on Iraq because of Obama?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hillary is 40 pounds of poo poo in a 30 pound bag but the GOP has made it clear they intend to use the SCOTUS to enact all their terrible legislation and RBG is getting up there so I can't take the chance of 6 conservatives on the bench. I think Clinton will be terrible for the country (more stupid neoliberalism and police state fun) but it's better 8 years of her than another lifetime for some currupt justice we can't get rid of.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Edward Snowden is not going to be a major issue in the Democratic primary and Rand Paul is not going to be the Republican nominee. The eventual Republican nominee will be advised primarily by the neo-conservatives who dominate the Republican foreign policy braintrust.

Edit: and of course Hillary Clinton's foreign policy is not appreciably different from the President under whom she served as Secretary of State.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 25, 2014

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Not so fast. Rand Paul is hiring a lot of the same staff that Romney had in 2012 and we all can remember what a well-oiled machine the Romney campaign was.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Radish posted:

Hillary is 40 pounds of poo poo in a 30 pound bag but the GOP has made it clear they intend to use the SCOTUS to enact all their terrible legislation and RBG is getting up there so I can't take the chance of 6 conservatives on the bench. I think Clinton will be terrible for the country (more stupid neoliberalism and police state fun) but it's better 8 years of her than another lifetime for some currupt justice we can't get rid of.

Hillary is a competent politician and will be an extremely skilled president. As I've said in another thread, until we start sending more liberals to congress the presidents stance on a lot of these issues don't mean poo poo. Policy keeps shifting to the right not because liberals keep getting sold out but because conservatives keep winning enough small important battles through sheer intransigence and then keep pushing right that the whole country shifts right. This is the new normal. There isn't going to be a return to the collegiality of the past for a generation.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SavageBastard posted:

Hillary is a competent politician and will be an extremely skilled president. As I've said in another thread, until we start sending more liberals to congress the presidents stance on a lot of these issues don't mean poo poo. Policy keeps shifting to the right not because liberals keep getting sold out but because conservatives keep winning enough small important battles through sheer intransigence and then keep pushing right that the whole country shifts right. This is the new normal. There isn't going to be a return to the collegiality of the past for a generation.

Seriously we can't keep making fun of people not knowing what the president does when they say Obama is an evil puppetmaster communist and then go on to act like the president's views mean anything if the rest of the lawmaking structure doesn't agree with her. Even if you vote Sanders for president if the congress is controlled by republicans and right wing democrats what's going to happen if you expect him to be a diehard, uncompromising, socialist?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Hillary's ability to win concerns me.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SavageBastard posted:

Yes I totally agree that focusing on local and congressional seats needs to be a huge priority. I held my nose and vote Mcauliff in VA since the alternative would have been a real nightmare. Winning the AG seat as well was a godsend.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Hillary's ability to win concerns me.

I'm not that concerned about her ability to win, for a couple of reasons. Yes, her 2008 run had its share of fuckups, most notably the Mark Penn-isms, but this is also cast against the shining light of one of the most brilliantly-run insurgency campaigns I've ever seen. Say what you want about President Obama, Candidate Obama (particularly his 2008 incarnation) was a world-beater and Hillary's campaign never really managed to get itself reorientated to face that sort of challenge and as such came off as flailing.

Secondly, given the opposition field looks to be, if anything, even more populated by lunatics, nobodies, and also-rans than in 2012, I have a hard time coming up with a GOP candidate that would give her serious trouble (not that I don't expect the sexist dog-whistle and outright misogyny to get cranked up to 11, of course).

This of course presumes there's not some great white hope waiting in the wings which we're all not aware of, but that's the sort of thing that by definition you only know about once it's exploded onto the scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I'm not sure if establishment guy backed by the senate leadership counts as "insurgent". It's not like he was Jesse Jackson.

• Locked thread