Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

neetengie posted:

Just killed the Rotten - I'm tempted to use an Ascetic for that sweet weapon I can make with that soul of his though. Am I a bad enough dude to kill the NG+ Rotten yet?

There's no change in move set so you should be able to pull it off. The sppeedrun route is to fight it 4 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Just went back and ran through it to try and get it right. Hopefully this is understandable enough to follow and remember there's a lot of enemies on the way!

From the bonfire, go left through the gap in little barrier and straight along the ledge until you get to another small pile of rubble against the wall. Walk over this pile to the open area, then take a right through another gap back on to the main pathway. Blow up the barrels in front of the tower with a firebomb, go through the door and exit through another door on the left. Go down the path straight (a fairly long way) and down all the stairs. Follow the corridors until you get to an open grassy courtyard with lots of scaffolding in it. Go straight ahead until you get to the wall in front of you, attack/break the boards covering the hole in that wall towards the right side.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Do you ever get "well, what is it?"

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah dodging is easy, its just a single miss and I'm dead. Its like Asylum Demon on steroids. Currently SL 49.
That really might be too low SLwise, I was 60-70ish when I went down - how is your Soul Memory? Mine was around 500,000

chaos rhames posted:

There's no change in move set so you should be able to pull it off. The sppeedrun route is to fight it 4 times.
I think it's mostly because I like having some assistance since I don't trust Lucatiel at all - what makes it worse is that my Black Knight Greataxe is heavy as poo poo, and I can barely hold it and my shield without going over 70% - I'll do it though. Then again I'm forgetting if using an Ascetic pushes my summoning limits to NG+, though it probably doesn't.

StashAugustine posted:

Do you ever get "well, what is it?"
NOPE, best use is Mock now - if you think Welcome is similar you have brain damage.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I used a certain ring to get down to the Ratacombs and got turned into a grey spirit. Oh what's this? Hey there dude, what's u:gibs:

The second time I went in apparantly the summoner did not count on me hotbarring Throwing Knives so when he ran off to have a drink I let him know what I thought of that idea. Then I clubbed him to death :unsmigghh:

e:

neetengie posted:

NOPE, best use is Mock now - if you think Welcome is similar you have brain damage.

The worst news to hear.

Also I totally recommend that people go ahead and buy a fat stack of throwing knives and using them judiciously, they are pretty solid damage. Even killed one of those hippos from the start of the game using hit and run tactics with just a handful.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 26, 2014

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

nftyw posted:

I used a certain ring to get down to the Ratacombs and got turned into a grey spirit. Oh what's this? Hey there dude, what's u:gibs:

The second time I went in apparantly the summoner did not count on me hotbarring Throwing Knives so when he ran off to have a drink I let him know what I thought of that idea. Then I clubbed him to death :unsmigghh:

e:

The worst news to hear.

Is there another way down? I figured it was the game's health-check

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

nftyw posted:

The worst news to hear.

"This One's Me" is the best gesture ever and pretty much makes up for everything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Not only does guard break not activate more often than not online, even while staggered the other player can still attack. Great.

Emong posted:

"This One's Me" is the best gesture ever and pretty much makes up for everything.

I enjoy how everyone's settled on War Cry for greetings.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Hm, I didn't think the Rotten would be hard the first time I fought him. I got him to about half health since dodging his attacks was so easy.

Then I got hit by one and got OHKOd. Then the next time I got OHKOd. And it turns out basically all of his attacks OHKO me :v: Maybe I should of invested in more health.

VVV Yeah dodging is easy, its just a single miss and I'm dead. Its like Asylum Demon on steroids. Currently SL 49.

I mean basically with The Rotten all you can do is get the timing down and dodge (also don't roll in fire like I did :v: ). Other than that, maybe you need to level in some other areas and pump more into vigor so he isn't one-shotting you at least?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kimmalah posted:

I mean basically with The Rotten all you can do is get the timing down and dodge (also don't roll in fire like I did :v: ). Other than that, maybe you need to level in some other areas and pump more into vigor so he isn't one-shotting you at least?

Nah I just need to get better at the fight. He has a huge health bar but the only attack I have trouble dodging is his 3 hit meat clever combo. I had him down to just 1/16...then I dodged rolled into the fire :downs:

Amusingly, in another attempt I got grabbed and thought I was dead for sure but then I got a message rating heal during the middle of it :v:

neetengie posted:

That really might be too low SLwise, I was 60-70ish when I went down - how is your Soul Memory? Mine was around 500,000

Not sure what that is exactly but there's only one huge number on my stats screen, so I'm guessing its the 260,000. I probably took a different path to get here.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So how workable is dark souls 2 it on PC? will I need a controller to play?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Not sure what that is exactly but there's only one huge number on my stats screen, so I'm guessing its the 260,000. I probably took a different path to get here.

I think you're just too early, but that's fine - you can still get him.
Protip: You can break off his arms :ssh: Still can regrow them though.
Also got him second time through, best weapon in the game here I come! Too bad the Burger King weapons have bad durability. Nevermind they don't surprised it broke quickly against him though.
VVVV :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

neetengie posted:

if you think Welcome is similar you have brain damage.

gently caress you. :colbert: To me it's basically CAN YOU DIG IT.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Stevefin posted:

So how workable is dark souls 2 it on PC? will I need a controller to play?

The general concensus is that you will probably have a far easier time playing if you grab a xbox 360 controller for it. There are people who set up mouse and keyboard for it, but you'll have to tweak and customize the controls pretty handily, it seems.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Nah I just need to get better at the fight. He has a huge health bar but the only attack I have trouble dodging is his 3 hit meat clever combo. I had him down to just 1/16...then I dodged rolled into the fire :downs:

Amusingly, in another attempt I got grabbed and thought I was dead for sure but then I got a message rating heal during the middle of it :v:

Yeah, I don't know about what's typical for everyone but I did Huntsman's Copse and the connected areas before I went where you're at.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Hey which zone can I farm/buy small and large titanite shards? And when/where is a second blacksmith available?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah, I don't know about what's typical for everyone but I did Huntsman's Copse and the connected areas before I went where you're at.

Well, I died once on the sentinels and decided I didn't want to deal with the long walk to them so I went exploring elsewhere. Bought the ring, fell down the well, and took the slimy road to green town. Regardless, fatty is dead. He's really easy if he doesn't spam that 3 hit combo like an rear end in a top hat. His other attacks are so much easier to dodge.

Not sure where to go now. Maybe I should just deal with the sentinels already.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You could technically skip the sentinels if you want.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

You can without penalty switch covenants without abandoning the old, right?

e: also nu-Ornstein is kind of a chump.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

StashAugustine posted:

You can switch covenants without abandoning the old, right?

If you mean switch and not lose your rank with old covenant?

Yes. No penalty other than the NPC covenant being a little mad you abandoned them but they'll let you rejoin anyways.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Well, I died once on the sentinels and decided I didn't want to deal with the long walk to them so I went exploring elsewhere. Bought the ring, fell down the well, and took the slimy road to green town. Regardless, fatty is dead. He's really easy if he doesn't spam that 3 hit combo like an rear end in a top hat. His other attacks are so much easier to dodge.

Not sure where to go now. Maybe I should just deal with the sentinels already.

You can do that or if you've beaten the boss in Heide go down the path from Majula to there again. You can get to other areas with some assistance.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

He's just old man, think of it this way, you're putting him out of his misery.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The game pulled in another grey phantom to help me out with the target in the belfry. Apparently the game switched my focus to him (while still targeting the other guy) and I stabbed him to death. I think that about wraps up PVP for me tonight.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Shindragon posted:

If you mean switch and not lose your rank with old covenant?

Yes. No penalty other than the NPC covenant being a little mad you abandoned them but they'll let you rejoin anyways.

Well DaS1 gave you sin for it IIRC.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

StashAugustine posted:

Oh, nah not in this so go right ahead.

Sin is basically invading people with red orbs and killing NPCs.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

StashAugustine posted:

Not if you switched, only if you broke your oath.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
1080 and 60 frames is so much better coming from the 360 version. Too bad they couldn't have kept that old lighting engine.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

HellCopter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OybT0-Ui5a0&t=213s

e: ugh you beat me to it. But this video jumps to combat so it's better so I win

Oh, goes without saying, spoilers for later game areas.

I think Space Jam is the official Dark Souls themesong now.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Crimson Harvest posted:

Hey which zone can I farm/buy small and large titanite shards? And when/where is a second blacksmith available?

You can find a stone merchant in Harvest Valley, and the other blacksmith is in Lost Bastille, though you'll need to find something to give him before he'll help you.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Do I just have to carry a fuckton of repair powder now? Even if I take the shortcut in the Batille a few whacks at one of the three Ruin sentintels puts my weapon at risk. I know you run back/warp back to a bonfire to fix it but I feel like by the time I reach that specific fog door my weapon is ready to snap in half.

edit: or does this secretly mean I need to level up some more?

Sober fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 26, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Crimson Harvest posted:

In Harvest Valley there are some giant dudes with hammers who have something like a 1/2 chance of dropping a shard in my experience.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You can get large titanite shards from the giant leeches in Black Gulch. I haven't tried farming them though so I'm not sure if they despawn fast.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Alkydere posted:

In Harvest Valley there are some giant dudes with hammers who have something like a 1/2 chance of dropping a shard in my experience.

The enemies in Black Gulch will also drop titanite chunks like crazy if you have some item discovery enhancement gear. Set them on fire for mass killing.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Sober posted:

Do I just have to carry a fuckton of repair powder now? Even if I take the shortcut in the Batille a few whacks at one of the three Ruin sentintels puts my weapon at risk. I know you run back/warp back to a bonfire to fix it but I feel like by the time I reach that specific fog door my weapon is ready to snap in half.

edit: or does this secretly mean I need to level up some more?

You didn't join the champions covenant did you?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

WirelessPillow posted:

You didn't join the champions covenant did you?
No, didn't.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

StashAugustine posted:

Imagine fighting him solo but without him imbuing his big buddy. Thats the fight

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kimmalah posted:

The enemies in Black Gulch will also drop titanite chunks like crazy if you have some item discovery enhancement gear. Set them on fire for mass killing.

The game has put me in a difficult position. On the one hand, the hunter's cap looks pretty cool, and the elite knight helmet is always a good one. On the other hand, the beret and monocle is silly and has item detection.

Actually, as a whole so far I don't like the armor designs as much as the DS1 ones. Nothing's really grabbed me yet.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

dark souls is driving me to drink

I know your moves pursuer, but you're a bitch.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Steps to making this game 10x easier:

1. Don't join Champions Covenant.
  2. Stop being afraid you're gonna outlevel summons. You probably won't.
  3. Use your soapstone constantly. Seriously, if you're stuck even for a bit, just use the stupid thing.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

[*]Use your soapstone constantly. Seriously, if you're stuck even for a bit, just use the stupid thing.

I haven't used a single effigy yet because of this, there's no reason to. And low on estus and your good sword's breaking but you're far from a bonfire? Just plop down a small soapstone sign and get like five kills, duty fulfilled and you're at full health and estus.