Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Masked Faceless posted:

Didn't his house burn down a while back?

Yeah, back in January. As far as I know, just about everything was lost except for his and his mom's clothes, their phones and wallets, her medication, and I think his DS. I think he bought another new PS3 almost immediately after.

It's just a bit disappointing that Markiplier performs the way he does. He does appeal to a rather low common denominator, but you can tell that he's way ahead of PDP in terms of potential quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

You're not fooling me. This cable TV show from Argentina had people playing videogames and talking over them since 1997. They were either, reviewing the game or just talking about what stage/chapter they were on. In a way, they were monetizing their two minutes Let's Plays.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

slowbeef posted:

I think that's almost the answer with one nitpicky detail. 3 strikes removes the channel entirely. 1 strike means you can't get Google to monetize it or be partnered, so it's possible he had 1-2, couldn't remove them and had to move.

I managed to find the video where he mentions that he wasn't allowed to monetize his videos any more. He doesn't actually specify a reason though, so I must've misremembered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrgjToUemMo

Also wow, this video is only two years old. I can't believe Markiplier got as popular as he did in such a short amount of time! :aaaaa:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Yeah, someone like Markiplier or NorthernLion could probably review games in the future, but I can't see Pewdiepie doing the same. The former are professional enough where they could probably make decent reviews without making their fanbase go "They're selling out/not funny anymore", but with Pewdiepie I can't see him getting more from professional or any reviews at all. Even when he gets a game early it's less "First look at the game/review" and more "Look how wacky I am playing this game".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bobjr posted:

Yeah, someone like Markiplier or NorthernLion could probably review games in the future, but I can't see Pewdiepie doing the same. The former are professional enough where they could probably make decent reviews without making their fanbase go "They're selling out/not funny anymore", but with Pewdiepie I can't see him getting more from professional or any reviews at all. Even when he gets a game early it's less "First look at the game/review" and more "Look how wacky I am playing this game".

Frankly, I can't see PDP doing much of anything that's not what he's doing right now. Even if he's capable of more, he's tainted my opinion of him so much that he's permanently branded in my mind as "screaming European rape joke guy." Yes, even though he stopped the rape jokes.

MGN001
May 12, 2012

This is only tangentially related to Let's Play, but this video is part of an interview with Christos Goodrow from YouTube about how YT works. Specifically, this video's on how searching and related videos work. He 's not at liberty to say exactly how it works or what exactly they use as metrics because they don't want to have people gaming the system (not that that's going to stop them from trying), but I thought it was an interesting watch.

MGN001 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 25, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Frankly, I can't see PDP doing much of anything that's not what he's doing right now. Even if he's capable of more, he's tainted my opinion of him so much that he's permanently branded in my mind as "screaming European rape joke guy." Yes, even though he stopped the rape jokes.

Don't call him European. :( Call him Swedish if you must. Just don't put him in the same category as me.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Don't call him European. :( Call him Swedish if you must. Just don't put him in the same category as me.

That's like saying "Don't call DarkSidePhil an American :( Call him a Connecticutter if you must."

If we have to deal with DSP on our continent, you have to deal with PSP on yours :colbert:

As a side note, I find it a little creepy that there's a wiki that has his actual address on it. I just wanted to find out what state he was in, not actually get mapquest directions to his house.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Roar posted:

That's like saying "Don't call DarkSidePhil an American :( Call him a Connecticutter if you must."

Please don't call him that as it implies terrible things about my state. Call him a Stratfordite if you must. Ain't no one want to be associated with DSP.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

There's a little bit of DSP inside all of us :911:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Roar posted:

Lazyfire posted:

Please don't call him that as it implies terrible things about my state. Call him a Stratfordite if you must. Ain't no one want to be associated with DSP.

You guys are assholes. :(

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Jamesman posted:

I can only hope you live in Stratford now and get to see DSP tooling around town and not understanding how a debit card works at the grocery store.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Jamesman posted:

If it's any consolation, it sounds like he's moving out of there soon.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

If it's any consolation, it sounds like he's moving out of there soon.
IIRC, he's in the middle of buying a house near Seattle.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Jamesman posted:

Lazyfire posted:

I can only hope you live in Stratford now and get to see DSP tooling around town and not understanding how a debit card works at the grocery store.

Welcome to Stratford, where every day is a day in the life of DarkSydePhil!

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

JordanKai posted:

There's a little bit of DSP inside all of us :911:

My country, 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of buggery,
Of thee, I scream.

Land of where Kojima died,
What do you mean I have to slide,
Game didn't tell me, don't have the time,
Gotta uppploaddd moreeee.

I completely agree about Markipiler, though. I watched some of his stuff, and I think he has some real potential for better things than what he's doing right now. 'Course, there's no reason for him to do so. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Singh Long posted:

IIRC, he's in the middle of buying a house near Seattle.

Stupid bugged mortgage process! How was I supposed to know I needed a bank check? Where do you even get one?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Mortgage? What Mortgage? He rents because he can't afford to move out of his apartment remember? God knows he probably has the money laying around all the collectable statues and figurines has laying around though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He'll just sell some game boxes to fund his house.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Waffleman_ posted:

He'll just sell some game boxes to fund his house.

No, he gives those away in contests. He returns the games to Gamestop as soon as he beats them.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Which also makes you think that he probably uses the one gamestop for everything right? Is he "that guy" that comes in on release day for every new game and buys a collectors edition? How the hell does Phil react around actual people, even ones that are basically the supplier of his livelyhood.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Which also makes you think that he probably uses the one gamestop for everything right? Is he "that guy" that comes in on release day for every new game and buys a collectors edition? How the hell does Phil react around actual people, even ones that are basically the supplier of his livelyhood.

Apparently the exact same way he acts in his videos from the way the fighting game community and most other sources talk about him. The computer debacle in particular is the funniest and highlights just how much of a piece of poo poo Phil is. I mean, Pewdiepie's terrible and all, but there is not many in the LP community that can challenge just how insane DSP is.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I don't know about that. Unless he's there making a scene all the time it's really unlikely any of the employees know him. Maybe one or two know him as the guy who is pushing 30 and comes in with a 19 year old every couple weeks in the creepy sense, or maybe someone found his YouTube channel, but I doubt anyone bothered learning his name or anything about him.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Lazyfire posted:

I don't know about that. Unless he's there making a scene all the time it's really unlikely any of the employees know him. Maybe one or two know him as the guy who is pushing 30 and comes in with a 19 year old every couple weeks in the creepy sense, or maybe someone found his YouTube channel, but I doubt anyone bothered learning his name or anything about him.

I could probably go find out, but that requires me to do things like leave my house, go to Gamestop, talk to strangers, talk about DSP... Just a lot of things I really am not comfortable doing. :/

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
With all this DSP talk, I felt like this needed to be here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hEIBDRvT84

I suck at embedding

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 25, 2014

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Jamesman posted:

I could probably go find out, but that requires me to do things like leave my house, go to Gamestop, talk to strangers, talk about DSP... Just a lot of things I really am not comfortable doing. :/

Going to Gamestop is an uncomfortable procedure in general.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

With all this DSP talk, I felt like this needed to be here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hEIBDRvT84

I suck at embedding

I was wondering why the LP demon sounded so good/familiar.
I don't think I've heard machinima actually being referred to as such since like...2006 or so. I remember when I first heard the term in a magazine and it was going on about how revolutionary it'll be for aspiring moviemakers. Yeah, sure...

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Why use Machinima now when you can just use Source Filmmaker right? I've never actually used the thing myself but it seems like there is little point anymore.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Why use Machinima now when you can just use Source Filmmaker right? I've never actually used the thing myself but it seems like there is little point anymore.

Machinima isn't a program, I thought it was just the name for making a video with game footage.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Oh i know it's not, i just mean why go through the effort of using a game and working around it's systems when you have a literal program that you can make anything in? Like i said i've not used Source Filmmaker so i'm just king of talking in broad strokes so maybe it's not so easy.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Oh i know it's not, i just mean why go through the effort of using a game and working around it's systems when you have a literal program that you can make anything in? Like i said i've not used Source Filmmaker so i'm just king of talking in broad strokes so maybe it's not so easy.

Not everything is compatible with Source Filmmaker. And even then, Source Filmmaker came out in July 2012. Before that you had to use whatever you could to make videos/movies.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Lazyfire posted:

DSP being there is at the very bottom of a list of Things That Are Bad About Connecticut.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So every now and then Two Best Friends play some really weird game for a one-off, like terrible hunting or Japanese games, but for some reason I feel compelled to post this because I really do wonder who the hell the developers were trying to appeal to. Is the "urban gangsta" crowd really much of a target audience?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

HGH posted:

So every now and then Two Best Friends play some really weird game for a one-off, like terrible hunting or Japanese games, but for some reason I feel compelled to post this because I really do wonder who the hell the developers were trying to appeal to. Is the "urban gangsta" crowd really much of a target audience?

I think "wannabe wigga" is a better term for the crowd that game is trying to attract.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
So I was checkin' Twitch out of boredom and saw that this guy is the top stream right now and getting donation after donation.

He's just walking around in Dayz doing literally gently caress all.

Anyone have any information as to why he's so popular?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Roar posted:

So I was checkin' Twitch out of boredom and saw that this guy is the top stream right now and getting donation after donation.

He's just walking around in Dayz doing literally gently caress all.

Anyone have any information as to why he's so popular?

He has over 7 million subscribers on youtube

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
This is your reminder that we are hosting a panel on LP at the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo on Sunday morning. And a big thank you to the people who submitted questions for the Q&A portion. Please join us for video game church if you are able: http://c2e214.mapyourshow.com/5_0/sessions/sessiondetails.cfm?ScheduledSessionID=11AB

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

Lazyfire posted:

I am willing to bet hundreds of dollars that he struts around the loving place claiming he's a professional Youtube superstar. You just know he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just dropping in to say that I dig your "first time playing" videos slowbeef. I hope to see some more FTL videos eventually?

• Locked thread