Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Sanctum posted:

Okay I give up, how do you unhollow?

I'm up to 37 deaths on the 3 sentinels. I can get to the boss and kill the first one without taking a hit, then things go wrong on the next 2 usually when I need to drop down and that puts me in one-shot territory so I try to heal. I probably wont summon anyone just yet, it'd just be nice to not have half health the entire game. v:shobon:v I think I can beat them if I can not drop off and not be at ¼ health from the fall, that way I wont have to worry about healing.

Co-op with the small soapstone or use a human effigy. There's also a ring in the Heide area that will reduce the impact of hollowing on your HP.

Internet Kraken posted:

Speaking of weird poo poo, is there anything to do with the moaning trees in the phantom forest? I just hit them a bit and they didn't seem to do anything other than yell at me.

In Shaded Woods? I don't know, I hugged the left wall of that area to talk to an NPC ally (make sure you find him, he's cool!) and to avoid the invisible backstab dudes. Do not stay in the middle of that area for long.

Edit: With some Googling apparently the moaning trees are meant to be hit to distract the invisible guys from you.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I've really been appreciating the human restore on successful co-op. Was that ever confirmed as intentional?

It always has been, you haven't played the past two games
fake edit: unless you were just granted soft humanity in DaS1 but I don't remember that occurring
edit: also it was a translation error stating it was a bug - it not all the time happening when you succeeded was the bug.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

So anyone have any advice for me wrt the Ruin Sentinels? Because even with three people they're kicking my rear end. I'm at SL52 powerstancing +2 maces and I'm barely chipping away at their health.

Have you been upgrading your weapon? That helps a ton.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Sanctum posted:

Okay I give up, how do you unhollow?

I'm up to 37 deaths on the 3 sentinels. I can get to the boss and kill the first one without taking a hit, then things go wrong on the next 2 usually when I need to drop down and that puts me in one-shot territory so I try to heal. I probably wont summon anyone just yet, it'd just be nice to not have half health the entire game. v:shobon:v I think I can beat them if I can drop and not be at ¼ health from the fall, that way I wont have to worry about healing.

Best way: Drop a small white sign, help a dude out.
Second best way: Drop a large white sign, kill a boss
Last resort: Use an effigy (not burn, use)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What counts as a successful co-op? I followed a dude around for a while who summoned me, but instead of going into the boss I was summoned by he turned around and ran backwards killing stuff then after about half an hour he went to a bonfire and kicked me out and I was still undead.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Reason posted:

What counts as a successful co-op? I followed a dude around for a while who summoned me, but instead of going into the boss I was summoned by he turned around and ran backwards killing stuff then after about half an hour he went to a bonfire and kicked me out and I was still undead.

When using the large soapstone you need to kill a boss. The small soapstone has a time duration that once it runs out, you count as succeeding I believe.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The best part of this game is when I switch genders without understanding what happened and then get really confused three hours later when I notice that my guy is running weird and his armor has a skirt.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Reason posted:

a bigass DUTY FULFILLED caption filling the bottom screen. If that happens you'll unhollow unless there's a bug I don't know about

When using the large soapstone you need to kill a boss. The small soapstone has a time duration that once it runs out, you count as succeeding I believe.
WIth Small it's how many dudes you kill, if the timer runs out you still get it - you can notice the timer running out when your shade color starts to fade.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

neetengie posted:

a bigass DUTY FULFILLED caption filling the bottom screen. If that happens you'll unhollow unless there's a bug I don't know about

I didn't get this so I guess he just quit before duty was fulfilled, oh well. I ended up with a decent amount of souls and went and killed the boss myself.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

neetengie posted:

WIth Small it's how many dudes you kill, if the timer runs out you still get it - you can notice the timer running out when your shade color starts to fade.

Ahh. interesting, thank you.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The best part of this game is when I switch genders without understanding what happened and then get really confused three hours later when I notice that my guy is running weird and his armor has a skirt.

A lot of male armors have skirts. :colbert: But yeah don't climb into random coffins I guess.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

They just patched this a few weeks ago on the console version, making it much more obvious that you are doing the thing that changes your gender. I don't know why there's no day one patch. No big deal though, 1.01 was very playable on consoles. No major bugs I can recall.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Speaking of unhollowing, I was kind of worried that the death mechanic would be annoying but it's so minor that basically my only complaint is that at 90% health I don't see white signs and my guys skin changes from magnificent blue to ugly green.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Speaking of which are there any good skirt outfits? I ran heavy armor chest/skirt legs on my DaS1 character and it looked pretty boss.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kimmalah posted:

A lot of male armors have skirts. :colbert: But yeah don't climb into random coffins I guess.

But Dark Souls taught me that climbing into coffins always leads to good things!

StashAugustine posted:

Speaking of which are there any good skirt outfits? I ran heavy armor chest/skirt legs on my DaS1 character and it looked pretty boss.

You can get the old pyromancer set off the fish ghouls down on the Wharf. It sort of has a skirt. I like it anyways.

I'm still looking for a good hat though. Preferably one like Witch Beatrice's from DS 1.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

But Dark Souls taught me that climbing into coffins always leads to good things Skeletons!

I was pretty disappointed that some skeleton didn't start rowing the coffin off to skull island.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm still looking for a good hat though. Preferably one like Witch Beatrice's from DS 1.

You can buy one later, you can't screw up the vendor unless you don't acknowledge dev messages.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Why can't I summon people anymore or draw my own sign when I am hollow?

I was helping out this dude with that knight in the forest of giants level, died just when about to kill the boss (the guy killed it when I was in the process of getting back to my world) and now I have a white soapstone sign under the health bar with a line drawn through it and the white soapstone is greyed out when I am hollow. Used an effigy to turn human and I don't see any summon signs anywhere now whereas before this happened I used to see literally dozens every room. Please tell me I don't have to restart the game :smith:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

keyframe posted:

Why can't I summon people anymore or draw my own sign when I am hollow?

I was helping out this dude with that knight in the forest of giants level, died just when about to kill the boss (the guy killed it when I was in the process of getting back to my world) and now I have a white soapstone sign under the health bar with a line drawn through it and the white soapstone is greyed out when I am hollow. Used an effigy to turn human and I don't see any summon signs anywhere now whereas before this happened I used to see literally dozens every room. Please tell me I don't have to restart the game :smith:

Don't burn them, that disables invaders & summons for an hour. Use them from inventory instead.

You should have an item in your inventory that restores online immediately.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

So anyone have any advice for me wrt the Ruin Sentinels? Because even with three people they're kicking my rear end. I'm at SL52 powerstancing +2 maces and I'm barely chipping away at their health.

As long as you stay on the ledge where you initially land, the other two sentinels won't aggro. With 3 people you can usually beat down the first pretty handily as long as everyone knows how to dodge/block them (They only do physical damage!). Once the first one is dead the best way I've found is for one person to distract one guardian and the other two taking turns beating the third.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Darox posted:

I was pretty disappointed that some skeleton didn't start rowing the coffin off to skull island.

Come back later in the game. That's when a skeleton mermaid pushes the coffin into the water and you get to visit Sealord Nito down in Atlantis.

neetengie posted:

You can buy one later, you can't screw up the vendor unless you don't acknowledge dev messages.

Sweet. I'm not worried about messing up any vendors. After murdering Pate on a completely wrong hunch I decided I should just assume all NPCs are friendly until proven otherwise.

VVV I have no idea what the actual name for those weird stretchy arm monsters down in the Wharf is so I just call em fish ghouls. They sometimes drop pieces of the pyromancer armour, which is totally random but whatever.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

But Dark Souls taught me that climbing into coffins always leads to good things!

You can get the old pyromancer set off the fish ghouls down on the Wharf. It sort of has a skirt. I like it anyways.

I don't remember any fish ghouls or pyromancer armor in the Wharf? :raise:

There's a few witchy hats around, but I didn't really run into them until pretty late in the game.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Darox posted:

Don't burn them, that disables invaders & summons for an hour. Use them from inventory instead.

You should have an item in your inventory that restores online immediately.

Oh gently caress yea I burned an effigy thinking that's what turns you human like in ds1 and it said invaders are blocked or something. Didn't realize it also blocked summons. :(

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I've been human for hours in this game and haven't been invaded once. Don't think I'm going to get any Champion ranks.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

I don't remember any fish ghouls or pyromancer armor in the Wharf? :raise:

There's a few witchy hats around, but I didn't really run into them until pretty late in the game.

I think he's referring to those Dark monsters, that resemble the Oolacile township folk from DaS1 - they drop Pyromancer clothes, they're probably Pyromancers who got too deep into the Dark and just transformed into those things fully.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Has there been any talk about a patch to fix the mouse+keyboard controls? Having to have separate buttons for guard break, parry, jumping attack, and shield attack is screwing me up. Almost as much as the accumulated muscle memory from DS1 is screwing me up. I keep holding shift to block...

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

neetengie posted:

I think he's referring to those Dark monsters, that resemble the Oolacile township folk from DaS1 - they drop Pyromancer clothes, they're probably Pyromancers who got too deep into the Dark and just transformed into those things fully.

Oh, I never got any clothes from them for whatever reason.

Professor Wayne posted:

I've been human for hours in this game and haven't been invaded once. Don't think I'm going to get any Champion ranks.

I don't know if it counts but you can summon invaders in some places. Look for red signs. Also you can be invaded while hollow in DS2.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 26, 2014

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Professor Wayne posted:

You need to do some bad things to be invaded.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've died like five times trying to make progress from the second bonfire in Forest of the Giants. It seems my powers of not dying to the same drat thing more than once have abandoned me.

That or this axe is poo poo and I need a proper sword.

Probably both :saddowns:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

That or this axe is poo poo and I need a proper sword.

If your at the second bonefire, did you find the flame longsword? It's in an area with a lot of fire on the ground. Need to watch out for an ambush of hollows, and a fire spiting thing, but it's on a door on the left.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 26, 2014

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Ran into my first hacker today; an Arbiter spirit locked his HP while I was backstabbing him and became straight up immune to damage. I ended up falling off a cliff while trying to knock him down.

Also doing a no-death run now, and the fear is real. Segments I used to breeze by are now sources of incredible anxiety, and every single ledge is a constant terror - it's very fun!

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

The Iron Rose posted:

Hey, some real advice for you as I got pretty hung up on those assholes.

As a fellow dual wielder, just deal with the fact that on this fight you simply cannot win without either range or a shield, and range introduces its own troubles. Just take a shield, it makes the entire thing much more manageable. Once you're done with them you won't find another time you need to come out of dual wield for quite awhile.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Sex Robot posted:

Ay ay ay, what a mess :smith:

I was going to wait until steam sales because of the lighting engine thing. But after seeing VaatiVidya's comparison and reading about the little niggling things that are beginning to appear in abundance. Right now I'd go so far as to pirate it and send $60 to the guy who made DSFix.

fake edit : I'm not going to pirate it, despite this post I'll probably break and buy it within the month and develop the appropriate level of Stockholm Syndrome. Pirating is bad. Stay in school kids

GOD loving DAMMIT I GOT HIGH AND BOUGHT IT.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So how do I get enough fire defense to make the lava walks in the obligatory lava level? I have 309 and can't even get close.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If your at the second bonefire, did you find the flame longsword? It's in an area with a lot of fire on the ground. Need to watch out for an ambush of hollows, and a fire spiting thing, but it's on a door on the left.

Yeah I found that, but I'm short on strength and gaining souls for levels seems oddly difficult so far. I guess I could just grind them out via either of my white soapstones, but I always felt odd about doing that for some reason in DS1.

Speaking of which, is there any difference between the two white soapstones besides one lasting all the way through a boss and the other, er, not?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

The worst part for me was immediately as I dropped out of the fog the first one would always do this huge overhead smash and take off about half my health before I even really had control of my character again.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I got summoned so I could unhollow and had a secret path and hidden bonfire in Bastille revealed to me. This sucks, I don't want everything spoiled for me doing co-op with random people who probably read wikis and poo poo. Or maybe they don't, but the point remains... I was reaching the sentinels just fine without knowing about that bonfire. :colbert:

quaunaut posted:

As a fellow dual wielder, just deal with the fact that on this fight you simply cannot win without either range or a shield, and range introduces its own troubles. Just take a shield, it makes the entire thing much more manageable. Once you're done with them you won't find another time you need to come out of dual wield for quite awhile.
Blocking their attacks, really? How much endurance with what shield can block an attack from a sentinel without getting stunned?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

You can absolutely beat the Ruin Sentinels w/o a shield if you've got enough points in adaptability to roll through their big slow swings with big obvious windups. Had 100 agility before the second boss I fought and there are just iframes for days.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

quaunaut posted:

Shields are for cowards.

You can totally take them on with 2H or dual wielding, you've just got to be prepared to spend a lot of time rolling away. I've been doing the entire game 2 handing the bucket knights lightning sword and it's worked out great so far. Just make sure you kill the first one before dropping down to the main arena. Two at a time is pretty easy to manage, three much less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kimmalah posted:

The worst part for me was immediately as I dropped out of the fog the first one would always do this huge overhead smash and take off about half my health before I even really had control of my character again.

The NPC phantom will usually hold aggro if you back off and heal. The hardest part of the fight is the huge sweep and possible followup combo they do when they first jump on the the ledge. It helps to have ridiculous offense, like powerstance blunt weapons.