Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Sanctum posted:

I got summoned so I could unhollow and had a secret path and hidden bonfire in Bastille revealed to me. This sucks, I don't want everything spoiled for me doing co-op with random people who probably read wikis and poo poo. Or maybe they don't, but the point remains... I was reaching the sentinels just fine without knowing about that bonfire. :colbert:

Blocking their attacks, really? How much endurance with what shield can block an attack from a sentinel without getting stunned?

You can find that bonfire entirely by accident thanks to one of the enemies. Unless you're talking about that other thing with the lockstone.

I'm not sure what to tell you though. Don't co-op for humanity and summon only NPCs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sanctum posted:

Blocking their attacks, really? How much endurance with what shield can block an attack from a sentinel without getting stunned?
Pretty sure I was easily blocking single attacks with the Drangleic shield with 6 endurance.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly I'm using my shield waaaaaaay less than I did in Dark Souls. Might just be because I'm a better player now but I'm two handing most of the time and just dodging attacks. Shields are still useful mind you, they're just not effective against nearly as many enemies as they were in Dark souls. By which I mean a lot of enemies/bosses will damage you through your shield, drain all your stamina with one hit, or simply say gently caress your shield and kill you through it.

All the bosses I've fought so far have been easier to beat just by dodging through or away from their attacks rather than blocking them. The lone exception is Pursuer because he's easy to parry.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Phew, I think I can rank the Skeleton Lords as the hardest boss in this game, or any game

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It's funny looking back at the predictions of Dark Souls 2 being some kind of ultra PvP thunder dome, what with the lifting of the requirement of being human to be invaded.

Plenty of us guessed it wouldn't be anywhere near that, but I couldn't have ever guessed it would have been a borderline INVASION FREE ZONE.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I killed a dark spirit by knocking him off a ledge and got nothing out of it. Do they not drop souls or did it bug out?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's funny looking back at the predictions of Dark Souls 2 being some kind of ultra PvP thunder dome, what with the lifting of the requirement of being human to be invaded.

Plenty of us guessed it wouldn't be anywhere near that, but I couldn't have ever guessed it would have been a borderline INVASION FREE ZONE.

Red phantoms are pretty sparse, but spend any amount of time in a belltower and you will be flooded with invasions.

If you really want to do a ton of PvP, drop a white summon at the entrance to Belltower Luna. Between people invading you and people invading your hosts you will be flooded with targets.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Control Volume posted:

Phew, I think I can rank the Skeleton Lords as the hardest boss in this game, or any game

Have you tried the other boss in that general area? You may reassess that rank afterwards. :getin:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Darox posted:

Red phantoms are pretty sparse, but spend any amount of time in a belltower and you will be flooded with invasions.

If you really want to do a ton of PvP, drop a white summon at the entrance to Belltower Luna. Between people invading you and people invading your hosts you will be flooded with targets.

Oh I'm aware. But having PvP cordoned off into quasi arenas for all intents and purposes still flies in the face of many predictions. It just amuses me is all.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I've been trying to avoid spoilers and figure out where to go next on my own, but I'm stumped at the moment. The areas I've cleared, or at least beat bosses in, if not completely cleared are:

Forest of Fallen Giants
Cathedral of Blue
Heide's Tower of Flame
No-Man's Wharf
Belfry Luna
The Lost Bastille
Sinner's Rise

I know there's a statue that is blocking my way near Majula, but I used the petrify curing item in Bastille and can't find another one. There's also the pit in Majula. Other than that, I don't know if I'm just walking past entrances to areas but I can't figure out where to head next. Is it the pit? If someone could just float me out the name of the area that I should head to to find a new level, I'd appreciate it. I've been running around like an idiot for a bit now.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

Have you tried the other boss in that general area? You may reassess that rank afterwards. :getin:

Nonsense, the other boss only took me twenty tries to beat. This boss? It took me a full minute. How sadistic is that??

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

dis astranagant posted:

So how do I get enough fire defense to make the lava walks in the obligatory lava level? I have 309 and can't even get close.

The trick is using Flash Sweat and then soaking yourself in water. There's water in some urns and a pool you can use a Pharros Stone to fill up. Small orange burrs helps out, as does the Flame Quartz Ring. Also, the Smelter Demon armor had pretty good fire defense.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

By what point should I have stuff up to +6?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sivek posted:

I've been trying to avoid spoilers and figure out where to go next on my own, but I'm stumped at the moment. The areas I've cleared, or at least beat bosses in, if not completely cleared are:

Forest of Fallen Giants
Cathedral of Blue
Heide's Tower of Flame
No-Man's Wharf
Belfry Luna
The Lost Bastille
Sinner's Rise

I know there's a statue that is blocking my way near Majula, but I used the petrify curing item in Bastille and can't find another one. There's also the pit in Majula. Other than that, I don't know if I'm just walking past entrances to areas but I can't figure out where to head next. Is it the pit? If someone could just float me out the name of the area that I should head to to find a new level, I'd appreciate it. I've been running around like an idiot for a bit now.

Go explore the pit in Majula and prepare for a wonderful journey.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Earned This is Dark Souls by punching a rat in front of the old ladies house

There were more.

:cripes:

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Whoever has a character named Mike Tyson and invaded me in the Belfry and punched me to death, keep at it dude.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Illegal Username posted:

There were more.

There is no shame in dying to the Deadly Murder Gophers of Majula

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Oh I'm aware. But having PvP cordoned off into quasi arenas for all intents and purposes still flies in the face of many predictions. It just amuses me is all.

I thinks it's more that the Cracked Eye orbs are relatively rare then anything else. Which brings into question why the first covenants are "call in protection!" and "be the protection!" against invaders.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Illegal Username posted:

There were more.

Practice fighting small enemies on the pigs in Majula, when you get there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

I thinks it's more that the Cracked Eye orbs are relatively rare then anything else. Which brings into question why the first covenants are "call in protection!" and "be the protection!" against invaders.

Yeah, it's not cordoned off literally, just effectively. You are right though, the PvP atmosphere DOES make the whole Blueboys thing weird as hell. Maybe they just wanted to preserve the age old tradition of blue phantoms starving for PvP opportunities.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
With the weekend here, I really could do with that HDMI fix. It's an absolutely great port but they shouldn't have let that get past QA. It's such a ridiculous gently caress up and a glaringly obvious oversight. I know Namco has recently acknowledged the specific issue and has said a fix is on the way but why do I have a feeling it's going to take weeks instead of days?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Harvest Valley is not what the name would imply at all. <:mad:>

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly I'm using my shield waaaaaaay less than I did in Dark Souls. Might just be because I'm a better player now but I'm two handing most of the time and just dodging attacks. Shields are still useful mind you, they're just not effective against nearly as many enemies as they were in Dark souls. By which I mean a lot of enemies/bosses will damage you through your shield, drain all your stamina with one hit, or simply say gently caress your shield and kill you through it.

All the bosses I've fought so far have been easier to beat just by dodging through or away from their attacks rather than blocking them. The lone exception is Pursuer because he's easy to parry.

Yeah shields feel significantly less important in PVE. You're better off two handing and just killing stuff faster, especially with parrying's new having to wait till they finish falling over to crit mechanic.

The game rewards aggression in battle so I'm wondering how duel wielding will feel when I get around to.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

What's the goon consensus compared to the last game? I didn't get into the community aspect of it, but the first Dark Souls is a contender for my favorite game of all time. Even with its flaws, I loved everything about it. I know the sequel won't surpass my expectations—I'm not that naïve—but if it's good enough, I'm in.

A buddy just described it like this: "You know how Portal 2 was really good, but not as good as Portal? It's like that." Accurate?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Speaking of shields, is it just me or is the shield break ability completely useless? When I meet someone shieldblocking it's much more effective to just wail on them until they stagger. Trying to shield break inevitably misses because they just drop their guard during the gigantic swing time and then it does absolutely nothing.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

SirDan3k posted:

especially with parrying's new having to wait till they finish falling over to crit mechanic.
I had no idea what was up with parrying until this post.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Harvest Valley is not what the name would imply at all. <:mad:>

Well, it's definitely what "Valley" implies in this series.

SirDan3k posted:

Yeah shields feel significantly less important in PVE. You're better off two handing and just killing stuff faster, especially with parrying's new having to wait till they finish falling over to crit mechanic.

The game rewards aggression in battle so I'm wondering how duel wielding will feel when I get around to.

Dualwielding is great, but only if you meet the stat requirements for powerstance. Luckily some of the strongest weapons have really easy powerstance requirements (16 str for clubs, 18 for maces)

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 26, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Daynab posted:

Whoever has a character named Mike Tyson and invaded me in the Belfry and punched me to death, keep at it dude.

Character names instead of Account Names is the best possible change in the PC version. Even though there is no hate mail, gimmick characters finally have that extra oomph

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
So who is the NPC you can potentially miss that Yahtzee was annoyed about in his interview?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

A.C. posted:

Character names instead of Account Names is the best possible change in the PC version. Even though there is no hate mail, gimmick characters finally have that extra oomph

I do wish they weren't so over-zealous with the censoring. It's silly to see names like "Thor" get censored because it contains "ho".

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
Please allow me to ask a very stupid question:

Where the heck do you repair in the early game?

I got stuck in the first area after my weapons broke and I couldn't find a way to repair my equipment.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I have to say, the online in this version is stellar. I get summoned as a shade within seconds.

Hopefully it stays like that for a while.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

Please allow me to ask a very stupid question:

Where the heck do you repair in the early game?

I got stuck in the first area after my weapons broke and I couldn't find a way to repair my equipment.

Until you get the blacksmith's key from the vendor Melitia in the Cardinal Tower bonfire area of the Forest, you're pretty much hosed. Durability is restored every time you rest at a bonfire, but only on items that aren't already broke.

Also, so many cheap deaths. I lost over 28000 souls earlier in Lost Bastille because I was like "I'll just get to the next bonfire THEN warp back and spend them" then got dogpiled by six royal guards with flamberges, then got killed again by the scythe-wielding fatty just before them blowing up a gunpowder barrel.

Fellow newbies, invest in anything that bumps Poise, or you WILL get staggered and smeared frequently.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 26, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

CitrusFrog posted:

Also, so many cheap deaths. I lost over 28000 souls earlier in Lost Bastille because I was like "I'll just get to the next bonfire THEN warp back and spend them" then got dogpiled by six royal guards with flamberges.

Door
and then
quite something ahead

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The ring that increases Poise damage helps with that fight too.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Sorry if these were brought up before, thread is only getting bigger and bigger.

If you stumble across a hacker and get a ton of souls, is your soul memory insta-hosed or can I still jump off a cliff and leave it all behind in a blood stain?

I recall someone saying that after beating the the pursuer you'd find some nice armor. Am I blind for not finding it? It was kinda late, so...

Went into the zone through the entrance right after that boss and uh, is that a hidden route? Some of the enemy placement makes it seem as if I am going through the place in reverse order or something.

Ok last one: are bellfry and sinner's rise optional? What if you don't join the covenant, is it possible to get through there then or will it be pvp at every turn, staircase etc.

Sorry for that list, thanks in advance. :)

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Ok last one: are bellfry and sinner's rise optional? What if you don't join the covenant, is it possible to get through there then or will it be pvp at every turn, staircase etc.

Sorry for that list, thanks in advance. :)

The first area yes, the second no. Beating the first makes accessing the boss in the second marginally easier.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So, how do I equip hexes? Is there something I'm not doing right? I've got the int and the faith to use them but the spell attunement menu won't let me try them on.

Edit: Wait, no I see. Apparently Hexes take 2 attunement slots...and I can't seem to remove spells that I've already got attuned unlike in DaS 1.

Edit 2: No, wait, I can shift stuff around, I just can't empty a slot. Joy.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 26, 2014

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

In the console version I could see that she took off her mask, but I could never make out the features of her face very well. It looks like she is a leper. Explains the covering of every portion of skin, and why she doesn't allow people to get close to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Door
and then
quite something ahead

Yeah that was definitely stupid of me. I was also eager to find Staid and turn in my boss souls for boss weapons, never did, but I'm taking a break because my controller has made my left thumb's pad hard and sore from today's DS2 binge

StashAugustine posted:

The ring that increases Poise damage helps with that fight too.

I have that one, the Choranthy-whatever, the stamina regen one and the blue covenant ring equipped at present.