Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SEKCobra posted:

Honestly if its some old pos which is being replaced theres no point cleaning, and Id be hlad for any more reason to just send it to the dump.

It's an HP 2560p (i.e. a Sandybridge i7 that is about two years old) - if it was in better nick it'd be fine to reassign.

As it is it'll probably get trashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

dissss posted:

It's an HP 2560p (i.e. a Sandybridge i7 that is about two years old) - if it was in better nick it'd be fine to reassign.

As it is it'll probably get trashed.

But why doesnt the user just keep it then?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

SEKCobra posted:

Honestly if its some old pos which is being replaced theres no point cleaning, and Id be hlad for any more reason to just send it to the dump.

That is a recent Elitebook which is 2 years old tops.

e: Ugh too slow.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

SEKCobra posted:

That would give users incentive to inflict minor damage.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cenodoxus posted:

Totally agree. I think this can also cover employees asking you to fix their personal poo poo. Charge 3x your hourly wage (or equivalent if salaried), or else they can haul their poo poo to Geeksquad to be told that they need a new PSU and a helium-doped power cord to fix their iTunes crashing or whatever.
For me this entirely depends on if I like the person who's asking or not.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

SEKCobra posted:

Probably because they saw someone with a better one and suddenly their almost new laptop is "a uselessly slow piece of poo poo BUY ME A NEW ONE!"

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Flipperwaldt posted:

That would give users incentive to inflict minor damage.

I didnt mean gifting it to them, but rather keeping them on the same hardware.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SEKCobra posted:

I didnt mean gifting it to them, but rather keeping them on the same hardware.

They left the organisation.

I know they don't owe us anything, but I still wouldn't expect equipment to get trashed for absolutely no reason (I mean really who repeatedly drops their laptop?)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

dissss posted:

I know they don't owe us anything, but I still wouldn't expect equipment to get trashed for absolutely no reason (I mean really who repeatedly drops their laptop?)
I had a guy tell me he didn't drop his laptop, but it had 'fell' earlier.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

dissss posted:

They left the organisation.

Well yeah, there's no excuse for breaking it, I was mostly referring to the grime, since I can understand that to some extent at least.

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

Moey posted:

Ha. I caught a coworker building a 2003 terminal server in 2011.

I built one in 2010. Got some busines-critical apps that don't work at all in >= Vista.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

For me this entirely depends on if I like the person who's asking or not.

I always price the user out of bothering me because the second I do a private job it's going to be for the guy that thinks every time his laptop breaks after I return it - it's my fault because at one stage I touched it so he will want a freebie.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I don't understand why people feel they need to break a two year old laptop. It's not like they've pushed the system to the performance limit and need to upgrade or be faced with a crippling performance issue. Besides, it's a pain in the rear end to move everything from one machine to another and then get everything customized just right on the new computer. Of course, that's my perspective from actually having to do all that work - I suppose it's not as big a deal if you can just snap your fingers and point at the computer and scream that it's not right and the computer janitor has to jump to fix it.

Of course, the one time someone did that I handed them a usb thumb drive and both the old laptop and new and told them to have fun. My manager pulled me aside for "counseling" but admitted that the user's expression was the funniest thing he'd ever seen. When we came back the user demanded to know if I had been fired, which pissed the manager off, so he folded his arms and stared at the user for several seconds before motioning for the user to follow him into his office.

Several minutes later a much subdued user came out and politely asked me if I could spare some time to help them with moving their documents. That was just about the only time I'd ever had a manager stand up for me. I was just a contractor, and the pay was lovely, but drat that manager was an alright guy.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Good managers will tell you when you're wrong, and will tell others when you're right.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ynglaur posted:

Good managers will tell you when you're wrong, and will tell others when you're right.

Great managers will do that, but also realize that talk is cheap and show you the money when you've been right enough.

Edit: Just chiming in, not trying to devalue your point. The difference between a manager who has your back and one that doesn't, even if the money isn't coming, is still enormous.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Overheard a conversation a fellow engineer was having yesterday about some missing files* that ended with our IT guy explaining "the backup drive (singular) isn't big enough so we might not have those files anyway." Then he got told it might be up to a week for anything to be recovered.

Once he was off the phone I politely leant across and pointed out that shadow copies were turned on and he could grab a copy himself from about 2 hours ago. Thanks goons for teaching me that shadow copies were a thing however many years ago.

*P.S. gently caress programs whose response to file corruption is to nuke said files from orbit with no warning.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I don't understand why people feel they need to break a two year old laptop.

Let me introduce you to a creature known as a "Salesman".

Imagine a petulant whining 5yr old in the body of a grown adult, whose only desire in life is to have a newer laptop and a more expensive company car than all the other salesmen.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
Corporate neglect can turn 5-minute configuration tasks into two-week ordeals. Especially those tasks that were meant to mitigate that neglect.

I work in a software development company, so if our TFS server goes down, most developers cannot work. Nevertheless, it's been practically orphaned and has been running on a single server for a long time. I proposed adding a secondary server and setting up NLB between them to balance traffic and divert it if either of them goes down. Setting up the new server itself probably took less than an hour. But setting up NLB has taken two weeks (and counting) so far.

It turns out that our Hyper-V cluster where the TFS server is hosted is.. messy, to say the least. It's chronically full and overloaded, and it isn't unheard of for dozens of virtual machines going down (again, halting all work done on them) because one of the hosts ran out of memory or disk space. There's also different hardware, different SANs, different host operating systems and different networks. Migrations from one host to another have to be done manually and frequently fail. Like in this case. The virtual machine for the new TFS server was set up on the newer hosts, so it cannot be connected to the same network that the old TFS virtual machine was. Nor can it be migrated, because the Hyper-V hosts are running on different versions. And the old TFS virtual machine cannot be migrated to any of the newer hosts, because they're full.

Our (chronically overworked) infrastructure guy proposed setting up a new Hyper-V host (we needed one anyway) and migrating the old TFS server there, set up NLB and flatten & reinstall the old hosts once they're empty. The hardware itself is ready, the SAN space is not. The approval is still pending, and the only guy who can approve it is on vacation, and nobody else can approve it because only this guy knows enough of this particular SAN system to approve it. Who knew that we'd run into a single point of failure while trying to remove a single point of failure? :v:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

^^ For some reason I read that post parsing it as "team fortress server"

Sweevo posted:

Let me introduce you to a creature known as a "Salesman".

Imagine a petulant whining 5yr old in the body of a grown adult, whose only desire in life is to have a newer laptop and a more expensive company car than all the other salesmen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CxUZQUJpg4

Lum fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 25, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

There is a great TV documentary about salesmen and their cars in the UK a long time ago. One salesman was caught shouting out to his manager "the important difference between a GT and a GTi is the 'i'". The reason for Ford having so many crappy cars at $500 differences so salesmen could be ranked by car model.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
The only good tv show about cars is UK's Top Gear.

But for content

I've now made an end user "friend" No submit me a ticket or something an email/lync message doesn't get audited through our system.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 25, 2014

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I've now made an end user "friend" No submit me a ticket or something an email/lync message doesn't get audited through our system.

The end user who actually uses the ticket system to report issues is a friend indeed. Service the gently caress out of that user so they tell everyone around the watercooler how well they get taken care of.

Seriously, train them like dogs. Give them treats to positively reinforce desired behavior.

Edit: Actually handing out candy might not be a bad idea...

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 25, 2014

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

SamDabbers posted:

Seriously, train them like dogs. Give them treats to positively reinforce desired behavior.

I'm on the fence about this. A little positive reinforcement is good at times, but I think we'd ruin too many keyboards if our end users started salivating every time Outlook crashes.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Cenodoxus posted:

I'm on the fence about this. A little positive reinforcement is good at times, but I think we'd ruin too many keyboards if our end users started salivating every time Outlook crashes.

No treat for bullshit issues or ruining equipment.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

SamDabbers posted:

The end user who actually uses the ticket system to report issues is a friend indeed. Service the gently caress out of that user so they tell everyone around the watercooler how well they get taken care of.

Edit: Actually handing out candy might not be a bad idea...

Ha, luckily he's a somewhat technical guy and because I fix his poo poo fast he doesn't mind going back and doing it. He's also next of kin to one of the most important people for our largest site, so yeah.

That said it is still accompanied by an email so it's a sudo compromise.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Ha, luckily he's a somewhat technical guy and because I fix his poo poo fast he doesn't mind going back and doing it. He's also next of kin to one of the most important people for our largest site, so yeah.

That said it is still accompanied by an email so it's a sudo compromise.

What I've been taught to say: "I'd love to help with that! Hey, while I work on it, would you please submit a ticket/service request so I can track my time?"

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

meanieface posted:

What I've been taught to say: "I'd love to help with that! Hey, while I work on it, would you please submit a ticket/service request so I can track my time?"

That's a good saying, unfortunately my team doesn't track time. We are the lead admin's for the Server/Infrastructure/Network. It spawned because he runs a VMware lab onsite and I had to fix it earlier this week.

It's kinda weird how coming from an MSP/VAR time isn't really tracked.

mewse
May 2, 2006

That's a good saying, unfortunately my team doesn't track time.

You don't need that exact reason, just say "could you throw in a ticket so that it looks like I'm working"

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Anybody here gone through a Microsoft Licensing true-up audit?

I swear these guys say things just to scare the bajeezus out of us.

"It looks like you have way too many... ahem... 'test' virtual machines, :siren:for which you will have to pay a fine:siren:"
"Huh... VMware with VMotion? You're probably not licensed for Windows Server Datacenter :siren:for which you will have to pay a fine:siren:"
"Ah, I see you're using an Apache reverse proxy to handle Lync 2010. Nice try, but you'll still need another Lync device license :siren:for which you will have to pay a fine:siren:"

:(: "But we bought the Enterprise CAL Suite for our users! We're employing 50 fewer users than we have CALs!"

"Oh. Well I'll have to look at your CALs later, but until then you should really think about getting your stuff in order :siren:or you shall pay a fine:siren:"

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
One of the biggest problem areas we have is an ETL process. The customer constantly fucks up the flat files they provide. For example, out of nowhere one of the fields in a file is empty for every record for a couple days. This value is allowed to be empty, so it's not something we give a poo poo about. Why did their process decide not to populate the field? Who knows!

The latest issue reported today in the UAT environment was that data that should be there was missing. Based on the error and research, it appears the file includes unicode characters, whereas the files are supposed to be ASCII. We pass along this information, blah blah, the file was probably edited in something like Wordpad, please correct the data in the source system and generate a new file.

Their response? "The file was not edited in Wordpad, it was edited in TextPad. The encoding should not have changed. I don't think you are correct, you should keep working on this over the weekend."

I don't give a poo poo what you edited it in. A modified file is a modified file and is not a true test of the process. Fix it in the source system and generate a new file. There is no point in troubleshooting a modified file. PS: It is the weekend, we aren't doing jack poo poo.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Do you have an EA with them? It doesn't sound like you do if they are talking about fines. For our "True-ups", we just run a report from SCCM (or other tool) and send it over.

If you have a legal team, get them involved now if you haven't already (because of fine talk). They will slow the process down enough so you don't get shafted too hard. Pull together all the purchasing info you can, MSDN subscriptions, PC/Server orders, etc. I also, wouldn't be too forthcoming with information until they pull and provide you with a report of everything they have on record for you purchasing. The Lync comment reeks of BS too. Our's sits behind an F5 reverse proxy and we didn't license it, and it wasn't recommended that we do it.

That being said, if it's bad enough that they've sent folks in, someone in your organization must have pissed someone off and the pain has just started.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

CaptainGimpy posted:

True-up stuff...

Yeah we have an EA. Basically Microsoft went to us (and our competitors, we checked) and said "Here's the deal. You can deal with this group and do your true-up, or we just send the auditors in, skip the true-up and go straight to fines."

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
poo poo pissing me off: New guy (surprise!). He's had an issue that he's supposedly been working on for the past couple of months, yet nothing has really happened. I'm currently on call, so I got paged about this issue. I'm now taking upon myself to get this figured out once and for all. It's an issue between Cerner and AllScripts. I'm basically going to get the two vendors on a conference call and get them to work this poo poo out, which is what should have been done months ago. Not sure why it never happened.

poo poo not pissing me off: We have a nursing supervisor that is not at all computer savvy. She calls us frantically for quite a lot of stuff, but she's very grateful for our help. Today she hooked it up with some incredible Filipino food she cooked. drat, that was good. One of these days I'm gonna have to bug her for some recipes.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I swear these guys say things just to scare the bajeezus out of us.

We have allegedly been audited and got in trouble over VS licenses but despite in theory having sccm deployments a) nobody knows how to actually officially get one done so they do it themselves b) if you do somehow get an "official" install it shows as licensed to the company not you when you should have your own license, but then seeing as we've had numerous people leave we are sitting on a pile of unused licenses yet nobody knows how many because some kind of generic key is being used.

Bonus points for the only time this caused an issue was getting a build server set up which is the one thing you are allowed to do without a dedicated license as long as nobody without one can log on to it. How MS think anyone is supposed to keep track of this poo poo I don't know.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

We have allegedly been audited and got in trouble over VS licenses but despite in theory having sccm deployments a) nobody knows how to actually officially get one done so they do it themselves b) if you do somehow get an "official" install it shows as licensed to the company not you when you should have your own license, but then seeing as we've had numerous people leave we are sitting on a pile of unused licenses yet nobody knows how many because some kind of generic key is being used.

Bonus points for the only time this caused an issue was getting a build server set up which is the one thing you are allowed to do without a dedicated license as long as nobody without one can log on to it. How MS think anyone is supposed to keep track of this poo poo I don't know.

The idea is that the rules are confusing enough you just err on the side of giving them money.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

That's a good saying, unfortunately my team doesn't track time. We are the lead admin's for the Server/Infrastructure/Network. It spawned because he runs a VMware lab onsite and I had to fix it earlier this week.

It's kinda weird how coming from an MSP/VAR time isn't really tracked.
Do the users know that though? I don't have my time tracked per se but I still tell them pretty much that exact quote.

One of our site got audited because a Jr Admin didnt get promoted when Sr Admin left, he decided to talk to FAST (UK - Federation Against Software Theft - I think) and report us for not having licenses

It turned out we had the licenses - it's very difficult to manage licenses for me personally because we are owned by a massive global company, whenever I ask am I licensed to do 'x y or z'? the CIO just goes 'yeah sure, knock yourself out' - I never actually see any evidence but boy do I hold on to those emails!!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
poo poo currently pissing me off:

Time to buy some new desktops!

Use case? Word, Excel, Internet Explorer.

I spec: Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD.
I receive: Core i7. 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400rpm HD.

The processor and ram don't matter because the HD chokes everything, can't even run Windows Update and another program at the same time. :argh:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

less than three posted:

poo poo currently pissing me off:

Time to buy some new desktops!

Use case? Word, Excel, Internet Explorer.

I spec: Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD.
I receive: Core i7. 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400rpm HD.

The processor and ram don't matter because the HD chokes everything, can't even run Windows Update and another program at the same time. :argh:

Yeah, I'm not sure why SSDs aren't standard these days, most people aren't heavy on the CPU. Yet everyone still wants to sell you large and useless HDDs.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
We have something similar going on where I work. Workstations with dual Xeons, at minimum 32GB of RAM saddled to massive, almost empty mechanical drives and a 100MBit LAN. Once everything's in memory they zip along but holy poo poo opening 2 programs or a large file from the network shares where everything is saved? Painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure why SSDs aren't standard these days, most people aren't heavy on the CPU. Yet everyone still wants to sell you large and useless HDDs.

Yeah and it pisses me off because the (list price) for the processor/ram upgrade is $370 and the SSD is $150.

If you would have bought what I spec'd it'dhave been cheaper and users would find it to be far faster! :suicide: