Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Quickpull posted:

Tell you what, why don't you just give me half the money you were going to spend on fluxx, then we'll go out back, I'll kick you in the nuts and we'll call it a day
That would still be twice as much fun as actually playing Fluxx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
If the Playdek aps are all free/on sale, are the any I absolutely must pick up? I may well have the best of them already, but possibly not.

I haven't been playing many iOS board games lately, although I did start playing Hearthstone recently, even if the more I play it, the less I enjoy it, as draft is the only mode which is fun, and dealing with the ordeal that is constructed is seeming less and less worth it. Are the 'three daily quests' all on their own individual timers, by the way? I seem to be getting them fairly arbitrarily.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

zonar posted:

I haven't been playing many iOS board games lately, although I did start playing Hearthstone recently, even if the more I play it, the less I enjoy it, as draft is the only mode which is fun, and dealing with the ordeal that is constructed is seeming less and less worth it. Are the 'three daily quests' all on their own individual timers, by the way? I seem to be getting them fairly arbitrarily.
You only get one new quest per day, with up to three being saved at a time.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
HearthStone quests are all on real day timers. If you complete all available quests today, April 21st, and then don't sign in again until Wednesday, the 23rd, you will see two new quests flip over when you sign in at any time that day. As for the exact availability time, I'm not sure but it's probably either midnight Eastern or midnight Pacific for the North American server region.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

zonar posted:

If the Playdek aps are all free/on sale, are the any I absolutely must pick up? I may well have the best of them already, but possibly not.
Lords of Waterdeep

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
What are the best boardgames for two iphones right now? Specifically which games suck the least at doing multiplayer when you're in the same room?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Carcassonne works over Bluetooth and is excellent with two players. If you have internet access, you could play Lost Cities, the Ticket to Ride Pockets, and Letterpress, though it is not actually based on a physical board game.

(Speaking of iOS games that look like but are not actually board games, Hitman Go.)

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne are our favorite side by side games.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Walked posted:

Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne are our favorite side by side games.

I really like the map building aspect of carc, how well represented is that on ios.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Pan Ache posted:

I really like the map building aspect of carc, how well represented is that on ios.

The Carcassonne app is the best iOS app in existence.

ogreboy
Apr 1, 2003
Carc and TTR are out standard side by side games, but if we can include internet multiplayer games (no direct wifi or BT play) the you should really check out Lost Cities. It's a fantastic 2 player experience on iOS.

And also now we find ourselves playing more and more Lords of Waterdeep too

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I bought Lords of Waterdeep and I'm super happy that I did, it's fun as butts.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Beelzebozo posted:

The Carcassonne app is the best iOS app in existence.

This is absolutely true

edit: The only problem I can find with it is when you leave the sound on while you sleep and are awoken by a stranger calling out "It's your turn..."

Quickpull fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 25, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
e: wrong thread

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grabbed Waterdeep, poo poo rules. Bit cramped on my iPhone 4, but still great to play. I actually had bought the game for my brother for Christmas but we have yet to play it together.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oh my, I’ve been neglectful.

- - - - - - - - - -

Game of the month for May:
Tigris & Euphrates

quote:

Regarded by many as Reiner Knizia's masterpiece, the game is set in the ancient fertile crescent with players building civilizations through tile placement. Players are given four different leaders: farming, trading, religion, and government. The leaders are used to collect victory points in these same categories. However, your score at the end of the game is the number of points in your weakest category, which encourages players not to get overly specialized. Conflict arises when civilizations connect on the board, i.e., external conflicts, with only one leader of each type surviving such a conflict. Leaders can also be replaced within a civilization through internal conflicts.

T&E is one of those games I’ve owned for a good long while but have never actually sat down to play. It’ll be good to dive into some games :)

How to Play Podcast: Tigris & Euphrates (YouTube video)

Download Tigris & Euphrates

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I'll put in a plug for T&E. It took me a few plays to get down some of the rules and concepts, but once I did I thoroughly enjoyed it. Someone send me a challenge, Admiral_Cool on Game center.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
The more I play Tigris and Euphrates, the more I want to play Tigris and Euphrates. It's one of those games where, when I'm playing it regularly, I feel like I learn something new about the game every time I play.

More people should start some games of T&E and add me.

Edit: actually, who would be interested in a sort of 'demo' game of T&E, where we talk our way through it and post some in-progress screencaps and stuff?

Bullbar fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 8, 2014

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So I did a search for Hearthstone thread and there isn't one as far as I can tell. Are we supposed to talk about it in here?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

djfooboo posted:

So I did a search for Hearthstone thread and there isn't one as far as I can tell. Are we supposed to talk about it in here?
Search function is broken, and it's in the Blizzard subforum anyways (which didn't show up under Search to begin with :v:). Here is the thread you were looking for. There are even other threads for Arena mode and Constructed play.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

djfooboo posted:

There's three or four of them in the Blizzard subforum.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Hearthstone isn't a board game :colbert:

Edit: in the sense that it doesn't physically exist, not that it uses cards

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Hearthstone isn't a board game :colbert:

Edit: in the sense that it doesn't physically exist, not that it uses cards

Technically, none of the games in this thread physically exist. :colbert:

Serious post: I'd like to see a T&E game with commentary. It seems interesting, but I already have way too many games that I don't play, so trying before you buy and all that.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

ControlledBurn posted:

Blizzard subforum.

Lol, didn't even realize that was a thing. Thanks!

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
So here's the board from my current game with, as you can see, Suicidal Maniac, KamikazeJim and Quickpull

Starting play to that river junction on the right hand side of the board is pretty typical to me. It's a good place to dominate rivers and, well, it's obvious. I am also partial to starting in the middle (as I've done with my black leader) because it seems like a fairly dominant position, albeit a later game one. I could be totally wrong about these decisions because I'm Bad At Games.

I'm hoping everyone else can jump in with a bit of insight about how they feel about the game as it stands. The early stages are almost always everybody establishing their own cities/clusters and slowly advancing on one another.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

What's the consensus on UHR-Warlords? Anyone playing it - I'll probably get it just for the campaign mode, from what I can see it reminds me a little of Empire, which I had fun with for a while.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

So here's the board from my current game with, as you can see, Suicidal Maniac, KamikazeJim and Quickpull

Starting play to that river junction on the right hand side of the board is pretty typical to me. It's a good place to dominate rivers and, well, it's obvious. I am also partial to starting in the middle (as I've done with my black leader) because it seems like a fairly dominant position, albeit a later game one. I could be totally wrong about these decisions because I'm Bad At Games.

I'm hoping everyone else can jump in with a bit of insight about how they feel about the game as it stands. The early stages are almost always everybody establishing their own cities/clusters and slowly advancing on one another.

Not much to say yet, but I've started off by building of the temples on either side of the small river. They can be pretty easily consolidated, but are also pretty isolated on the board so that may limit my options later in the game. All speculation at this point, I'm not an expert on the game.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

After my move:

I always try to start as far away from anyone else to give me time to build up my city. My beginning moves usually are the black leader (as it give you points for any color tile you put down), and then as many red tiles as possible as I lay down the other leaders. This will help defend me against revolts, which are decided by red tile counts.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Eclipse is on sale for 4.99

Edit. It's an awesome board game and I hear good things about the iOS game

BaBo_FiSH
Feb 22, 2003
A few other things are on sale also.

Summoner Wars is Free.
Neuroshima Hex Puzzle is .99
Neuroshima Hex is 2.99
Caylus is 2.99

Picked up most of them for the sale price, bought Caylus last week right when I got my iPad, but it is a game I don't mind paying full price for.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Carcassonne just updated with a new mini-expansion, The Phantom. It's a clear meeple that you can place in addition to a regular meeple on your turn. I think the physical version originally came out during the game's anniversary year or something? Anyway, I bought it on sight, because it's more Carcassonne.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

How's the iOS version of Yomi? I hear good things about the actual game in the Boardgames Thread, but I don't know how decent the iOS version is.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Doctor Zero posted:

How's the iOS version of Yomi? I hear good things about the actual game in the Boardgames Thread, but I don't know how decent the iOS version is.

It's very good, basically a straight port of the web client. I've had some random issues connecting to the server but nothing restarting the app hasn't fixed.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
For some reason can't join the GroupMe group. Can someone shoot me an invite? username: Flaggy

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Flaggy posted:

For some reason can't join the GroupMe group. Can someone shoot me an invite? username: Flaggy

I may have accidentally banned you, a long time ago, when I was trying to clear out inactive users for new people. I've since had the member limit increased, so it shouldn't be a problem from now on.

Come to this channel, tell me the email you used to sign up for GroupMe, and I can reinvite you to the main channel.

https://groupme.com/join_group/4462893/HhUzjA

Bummey fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 27, 2014

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Bummey posted:

I may have accidentally banned you, a long time ago, when I was trying to clear out inactive users for new people. I've since had the member limit increased, so it shouldn't be a problem from now on.

Come to this channel, tell me the email you used to sign up for GroupMe, and I can reinvite you to the main channel.

https://groupme.com/join_group/4462893/HhUzjA

Done and done. Thank you.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
It looks like Skullport got added to Lords of Waterdeep. Seems like as good of a reason as any to play some games of it. Feel free to start some up (I may start one myself) or add me if you haven't already.

I'm Wexia on GameCenter.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Lord Wexia posted:

It looks like Skullport got added to Lords of Waterdeep. Seems like as good of a reason as any to play some games of it. Feel free to start some up (I may start one myself) or add me if you haven't already.

I'm Wexia on GameCenter.
Thanks for making me spend another $2.99 - geez, how am I going to eat tonight now.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
So the game of the month thing isn't really taking off so far, which is a shame because Tigris and Euphrates is a fantastic game.

Any suggestions for how to make it more of a thing for the next game of the month? Also suggestions for a game to be the next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

So the game of the month thing isn't really taking off so far, which is a shame because Tigris and Euphrates is a fantastic game.

Any suggestions for how to make it more of a thing for the next game of the month? Also suggestions for a game to be the next game.

The only thing I can think of to get the word out is maybe a new thread and to advertise in the other iOS and board game threads. I still think it's a fantastic idea but we don't have enough people in this thread to warrant it I guess.

• Locked thread