Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Paper Mac posted:

The Austrians need a larger starting hand imo, I've yet to see them win.
It does seem difficult for them to accelerate towards a win. I do understand that the Pragmatic Army/larger draw is meant to help substantially and that at the start Austria is meant to be in a difficult position which gradually gets easier and easier, but the way reinforcements are introduced to the game makes it very difficult to build back up unless you have armistices.

Legally bounding deals is also a very weird aspect of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
I kind of like the binding deals (because my playgroup is absurdly treacherous), but I'm not sure how thematically appropriate it is. I don't actually know if there's a balance problem with the game; there's been an ongoing debate on BGG for a couple years and reported wins are skewed in favour of the schizophrenic player, which lines up with what we've seen in our ~6 plays, but it's possible that's partially a result of the ease with which the French/Prussians can beat down an Austrian player who's playing too overtly well in certain phases of the game. From what I can tell it's pretty much required for the Austrians to get a couple of big wins against the Prussians in the first year or two to knock the Saxons into the Austrian camp, which is usually enough to disrupt the Prussian advance, and that's obviously highly dependent on the hand you get to start with, but I'm nowhere near good enough with the Austrians to know if I'm assessing that correctly.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I have the playtest kit for Illusions of Glory and it's looking interesting. I'll probably try getting in some games on vassal.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Panzeh posted:

I have the playtest kit for Illusions of Glory and it's looking interesting. I'll probably try getting in some games on vassal.

Nice. Looking for anyone to help you playtest?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

blackmongoose posted:

Nice. Looking for anyone to help you playtest?

Sure, just hit me up on IRC and we can get a game going.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1563/rise-and-decline-of-the-third-reich

Found this at a Half-Price Books for $20, looks like everything's there.
Never done a wargame before, but I might eventually convince a few friends to come over and sperg out with me; is this a good one to start with? Looks like it won a bunch of awards or whatever.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I really wouldn't recommend 'grand strategy' games to start in the hobby because along with combat rules they tend to have a lot more chrome (politics/production/etc). You really want something smaller scale that only focuses on combat first. I've never tried the 3rd Erich system however.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

I really wouldn't recommend 'grand strategy' games to start in the hobby because along with combat rules they tend to have a lot more chrome (politics/production/etc). You really want something smaller scale that only focuses on combat first. I've never tried the 3rd Erich system however.

Definitely in agreement. I won't dissuade you from getting 3R, but Third Reich is one of the first grand strategy wargames and it kinda shows. That being said, the good ones are pretty pricey so I can't exactly blame you.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Quad posted:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1563/rise-and-decline-of-the-third-reich

Found this at a Half-Price Books for $20, looks like everything's there.
Never done a wargame before, but I might eventually convince a few friends to come over and sperg out with me; is this a good one to start with? Looks like it won a bunch of awards or whatever.

Third Reich is pretty terrible. It has quite complicated rules, it's not historically accurate in any way and to play it well you need to calculate combat factors so much that it's not very much fun either.

I guess it was a classic back when it first came out but it's badly outdated by now and not worth playing imo.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
You might be able to flip it and make a couple bucks if its in good shape, though.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Are there any good war games that have been ported to iOS ?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ropes4u posted:

Are there any good war games that have been ported to iOS ?

Battle of the Bulge and Drive on Moscow don't have paper versions (unless you ordered that special kickstarter bonus) but they're board-wargames through and through

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Battle of the Bulge and Drive on Moscow don't have paper versions (unless you ordered that special kickstarter bonus) but they're board-wargames through and through

Battle of the Bulge looks entertaining enough, thank you.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Battle of the Bulge is pretty good, haven't tried the other one though. What exactly are the issues with 3R? Are they still present in WaW? How does it compare with World in Flames (which I hate)?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Tekopo, have you taken a look at Tabletop Simulator? Seems like it'd be somewhat relevant to this thread as an alternative to Vassal provided people actually make the modules for it

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Tekopo, have you taken a look at Tabletop Simulator? Seems like it'd be somewhat relevant to this thread as an alternative to Vassal provided people actually make the modules for it
I've seen the videos and I find it difficult to see how it's going to deal with stacks of counters. It's more of a physics simulator and picking specific counters from a stack would be as difficult as in real life (without the use of pincers). I think it would work for simple board games with few pieces but as soon as you start to get thousands of pieces I don't see how it would be better than just using Vassal.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Tekopo posted:

What exactly are the issues with 3R? Are they still present in WaW? How does it compare with World in Flames (which I hate)?

My biggest issue with it is that the basic combat system. Without going into too much detail, the ground combat is almost completely unhistorical and often feels pretty abstract. For example, the normal setup for Poland(and pretty much every minor country) is to stack as many units as possible in the capital and then place the rest of the units in a ring around it. Soviet Union defending against Barbarossa needs to have a defense of units three hexes deep across the entire front, because the Germans can penetrate two defensive lines and still advance deep into your rear, but the third unit prevents them from having any breakthroughs.

In addition to this, there are a lot of other annoyances - the strategic combat system produces nothing like historical results, naval combat is way too complicated for its own good and the economy requires a lot of bookkeeping. The political rules can lead into some pretty weird situations and paratroopers can be way too strong strategically(if the Germany doesn't have enough troops in Berlin, the allies can straight up win the war by paradropping there, even if they don't have any other troops on the continent).

The only other strategic game that I've played is Totaler Krieg so I have no idea how the old edition compares to the newer versions or WiF.

Note that I'm not saying anything about Third Reich as a competitive game and I know that there are actually people that like it, it's just not enjoyable for me because it fails so badly as a simulation of WW2. Also it's been over a decade since I actually played the game so I probably misremember some things.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I honestly prefer the Totaler Krieg system in which in order to control Poland you have to get all of the major cities there, which leads to more 'natural' defences. I'm basing most of my knowledge of Grand Strategical from TK and so far all the stuff I've read (3R, Supreme Commander) just doesn't sound as good as the shear versatility, scope and intuitive card system of TK. I think panzeh mentioned Unconditional Surrender looks good, though.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Totaler Krieg looks great but it's one of those games I'd never get to the table if I got it. I can sell my group on a lot of stuff but having them actually read rules and make long term plans is a bit beyond what they're willing to invest.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

GMT Special. One order in the next week with up to 3 GMT games gets 50% off.

Unconditional Surrender, Dominant Species, Combat Commander, lots of good choices.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

FebrezeNinja posted:

Unconditional Surrender, Dominant Species, Combat Commander, lots of good choices.

Jesus gently caress. I want to get in on that so hard, but I already spent my fun dollars on another project :smith:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Glad they are treating ios development seriously now.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Might be interested in Unconditional Surrender but can't really afford to get 3 games + shipping + customs.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

FebrezeNinja posted:

Jesus, that's hard to resist.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

Might be interested in Unconditional Surrender but can't really afford to get 3 games + shipping + customs.

You don't have to order 3, you can order only 1 or 2 and still get the discount

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hopefully I can wrangle my wife into playing Andean Abyss, because GMT suckered me in with the 50% off sale.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Can anyone recommend me 3 games from that sale that have good single-player?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I would recommend Navajo Wars for a start. Apart from that, I can't think of any other GMT games that run well single player apart from the COIN games.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

So many options :ohdear:

Dominant Species has been on my list for a while so that's easy. Wanted Twilight Struggle, too, but I'm not surprised its gone.

Past that though I'm struggling. Andean Abyss has had good praise itt. Unconditional Surrender looks neat. And I think I read 1989 is a pretty good successor to TS. Plus it looks like there is Command & Colors stuff left, and Dominant Species has a card game...

Basically if y'all were to recommend three to someone who only has Navajo Wars, what would they be? I think I'm leaning DS, AA, and either 1989 or Unconditional Surrender since I've heard of them. Is that a good spread?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Definitely dominant species. I got my first 5pl game scheduled in a few weeks and I'm pumped.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Depends on your group of course, but Dominant Species is my favorite on that list. Andean Abyss would be second.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I ended up getting Space Empires 4X, Navajo Wars, and Urban Sprawl from the GMT sale. Eh, for $20 Urban Sprawl seems like a decent deal.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

VoodooXT posted:

I ended up getting Space Empires 4X, Navajo Wars, and Urban Sprawl from the GMT sale. Eh, for $20 Urban Sprawl seems like a decent deal.

I'm so close to getting Space Empires but my will still holds firm.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

SavageMessiah posted:

I'm so close to getting Space Empires but my will still holds firm.

A better man than I. :unsmith:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Ended up getting Dominant Species, Andean Abyss, and Space Empires 4X after a few people brought it up. Feel like I'll have a better chance getting SE4X to the table than Unconditional Surrender. I'll definitely have to pick USE up at some point, though. Looks like it would be a lot of fun when I eventually find a group that is good with it.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

VoodooXT posted:

A better man than I. :unsmith:

Not so much. :gbsmith:

I asked my friend if he would be interested in Space Empires and he basically said "It has space and empire in the name. loving Sold.". So I bought that and the expansion.

Probably going to break down and buy one of those fancy corner cutters, it took me loving forever to do Combat Commander by hand and my OCD will not allow unclipped counters.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I am now the sad victim proud owner of Andean Abyss and Sekigahara. Neither of which will see play this decade. (I should be glad that Cuba Libre and A Distant Plain were out of stock. I wouldn't have been able to resist.)

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Just played my first game of Command and Colors Ancients with my wife. What an awesome game! Pretty simple rules with a good kind of randomness to them, particularly with the way the command cards can force tough decisions. We played the first scenario and I scored a Syracusan (Roman) victory.

Definitely looking forward to playing again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any games that are particularly suited for PBEM play over Vassal that I could look into? That seems to be the only good option for me given my wonky timezone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Just played my first game of Command and Colors Ancients with my wife. What an awesome game! Pretty simple rules with a good kind of randomness to them, particularly with the way the command cards can force tough decisions. We played the first scenario and I scored a Syracusan (Roman) victory.

Definitely looking forward to playing again.

I really want this game, with miniatures cause "geek", but haven't had a chance to demo it with my wife.

Would you say your wife is war game or casual gamer? From first glance it looks like ancients would be a fairly friendly sell to non war gamers.

Fake Edit: GMT is terrible at shipping games in time for weekend sperging.