Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
:speculate:?

We'll be able to shift celestial object in their orbits if we provide enough thrust to do so.

Yes, it will be a lot (even for Gilly), but the game engine will be able to handle it! :jeb:

note that there's no requirement the speculation be at all plausible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Ground effect craft! I want an Ekranoplan!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Platystemon posted:

Except that you can? Hold shift and press W/A/S/D to rotate in I think 5° increments.

Okay, did not know this. I will have to give it a try. Is there an official workbook or something with all the controls/building instructions? Just to get an idea of all the nifty tricks I can do.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

YF19pilot posted:

Okay, did not know this. I will have to give it a try. Is there an official workbook or something with all the controls/building instructions? Just to get an idea of all the nifty tricks I can do.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Key_bindings

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SocketSeven posted:

Ground effect craft! I want an Ekranoplan!

I would really enjoy GEV physics. I totally want to skim across the ocean.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Ratzap posted:

Meh, C# is just microsoft pouting and mumbling 'we can make a java too!'. Heap + stack, runtime interpretation and a large dose of OO juice. I learnt it in a couple of evenings last year for the same reason as yourself - I felt like making something that was missing from KSP. It's not that bad at what it does but I wish there weren't so many silly variants all catered for at the same time. MS just can't help but play special snowflakes I suppose.

trigger warning: I work with c#

it's a lot more than being a special snowflake language, there's an awful lot of windows software that is written with it because it is a lot easier to learn than java. It also has a lot of niceties that java sorely needs, for example LINQ, properties, delegates and if you are using .net 4.5+, async/await. That and you can get the absolute godsend of a tool, resharper. Admittedly they also wrote Idea for Java.
also it would appear that more and more of it is becoming open source, especially as they've open sourced the new compiler, rosyln and open sourced the specification for loading their new portable class libraries.

That and mono is getting better all the time, There's a reason people are starting to use unity over other game engines. Admittedly unity's OO model leaves something to be desired, at least they didn't decide to implement their own strange programming language (I'm looking at you, Unreal). By using standard programming languages, Unity has definitely made itself a lot more appealing to programmers as they have a lot more transferable skills to other projects that aren't related to videogames.

Java has a bad press for games; the virtual machine is badly optimized for it and the libraries are severely lacking. It's a pain in the rear end to make sure you have the right versions installed (Java 32 bit over java 64 bit) and its a pain in the rear end to get the user to install it correctly. A lot of the time the user ends up feeling burned because it has installed the loving toolbar it bundles with. Oh and all the press it gets around security exploits.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I really, really, really hate Java.

That is all.

Oh, and something something Kerbals relevant :jeb:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Java is a piece of crap. Garbage collection is "automatic" and doesn't work, requiring you to do really arcane things to prevent it from wasting memory, it bundles with adware and constantly hassles you for updates (also bundled with adware) and doesn't even produce a good product!
Look at minecraft's performance and imagine if it was written in ANY OTHER LANGUAGE.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Too be fair to Java, Minecraft was coded by Notch.

If Java Garbage Collection actually worked, it would dump itself from memory :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be even more fair, the Minecraft team has spent the last year or so doing a complete rewrite of the game to get rid of all the "Notch code" and the game still performs like poo poo. It's just a tough game to make fast because of all the data it has to deal with, and choosing to implement it in Java made it even harder.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Maxmaps posted:

Yeah. They're in an awkward spot right now, but overall they need a strong pass.

I enjoy mucking with spaceplanes because they actually represent something of a challenge.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

After like 30 hours with the game, I'm only just now to the point of installing some mods (at least, ones more complicated than AlarmClock, like MechJeb/Kethane, etc). Is ScanSat up-to-date for the most current version of KSP, or is there something similar to it?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Splode posted:

Java is a piece of crap. Garbage collection is "automatic" and doesn't work, requiring you to do really arcane things to prevent it from wasting memory, it bundles with adware and constantly hassles you for updates (also bundled with adware) and doesn't even produce a good product!
Look at minecraft's performance and imagine if it was written in ANY OTHER LANGUAGE.

It would still run like poo poo because Notch is a terrible programmer and that entire game belongs in the coding horrors thread.

That said, while Java can be very fast indeed with the right workload, games are definitely not that workload. And even if they were, the Java deployment scenario, at least on windows, is a complete clusterfuck. There's a reason I dread getting bltool bug reports from windows users.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Drone posted:

After like 30 hours with the game, I'm only just now to the point of installing some mods (at least, ones more complicated than AlarmClock, like MechJeb/Kethane, etc). Is ScanSat up-to-date for the most current version of KSP, or is there something similar to it?

SCANSAT is up to date and I highly recommend it. It's well done and proves to be very useful for biome hopping, particularly on Minmus where the biomes are a scrambled mess. The mod also adds to my immersion. I guess it's not a Kerbal thing, but a human thing to expect that you'd scope out your landing spots before you send a manned mission there.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Maxmaps posted:

Yeah. They're in an awkward spot right now, but overall they need a strong pass.

Any thought on rovers?

I really liked the idea of a surface sample collection module. It would give less science than if a Kerbal brought the sample home, but it would be useful for worlds that are impractical to bring a Kerbal home from like Tylo or Eve. I suppose it would have to be transmitted and limited in use.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Geemer posted:

Speaking of which. I skipped out of the last thread for a while, what ever happened to that mod with the cardboard pods and upside down barbecue thrusters? Did it ever get finished?

Yes it was finished and posted but it was never updated so it's slipped way down the mod forum in terms of page count - good luck finding it.

Overwined posted:

SCANSAT is up to date and I highly recommend it. It's well done and proves to be very useful for biome hopping, particularly on Minmus where the biomes are a scrambled mess. The mod also adds to my immersion. I guess it's not a Kerbal thing, but a human thing to expect that you'd scope out your landing spots before you send a manned mission there.

It's fun the first save you use it but it's just a whole lot easier to use online maps or scans you saved last time after a while. Some mechanic to pick out landing sites should be in the stock game, maybe that's the super secret thing ;)

Dred_furst posted:

trigger warning: I work with c#

I was hoping you'd chip in. C# is fine for what it does but it suffers from the tie in to windows and the split off versions and IDEs. The special functions, LINQ and so on are great ideas but they seem to come with a lot of caveats (especially in conjugation with Unity). It's pretty pleasant and easy to get poo poo done in but could be better - particularly the memory use, GC and profiling side. Even a free coding tool needs a simple way to track down if it's leaking object instances (if you know any good free ones, please shout). Still, I wouldn't do java for hobby mod type stuff (I had to code java plugins for Oracle database XML handling at one point, never again) so it's a few steps up from there ;)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ratzap posted:

Yes it was finished and posted but it was never updated so it's slipped way down the mod forum in terms of page count - good luck finding it.
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/58639 :sun:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Yay! Made an orbit around the moon and came back successfully! And with a sliver of fuel to spare, too!

e: almost forgot the return landing shot

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 26, 2014

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Putting a station in orbit:

Edit: I guess I had way more rocket than I needed.

TomR fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 26, 2014

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Thanks! Gonna have some fun blasting cardboard boxes into space! :woop:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Ratzap posted:

It's fun the first save you use it but it's just a whole lot easier to use online maps or scans you saved last time after a while. Some mechanic to pick out landing sites should be in the stock game, maybe that's the super secret thing ;)

Yeah you're right, especially on places like the Mun where the biomes are very easy to know. Minmus is still a mess and I still need the map to biome hop efficiently. I'd say it'd be pretty awesome to have procedurally generated biomes, but that seems impractical.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Is Infernal Robotics fairly necessary to make some of the cooler stations while still using FAR? I am trying to use procedural fairings and still having trouble getting things to look right - even with fairings they get drawn so wide I don't think they are helping.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

YF19pilot posted:

Yay! Made an orbit around the moon and came back successfully! And with a sliver of fuel to spare, too!

e: almost forgot the return landing shot

First orbit and landing is pretty good, although I still just land wherever the gently caress rather than trying some of those trick landings back at the space station.

Also, I just built and tested a rover design. I put some landing gear on the front to act as a bumper of sorts in case I get too fast and don't want to destroy something due to running into some boulder. Well, due to mounting position, turns out it extends into the ground. Naturally I looked for this as some sort of emergency braking system, and what better way to test something like that than a full speed test on Kerbin? At about ~40m/s with a pair of ion drives, I turned on the landing gear/braking system.

The rover did a frontflip and destroyed both ion drives and a solar panel. It stopped really fast though! :jeb:

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Ratzap posted:

I was hoping you'd chip in. C# is fine for what it does but it suffers from the tie in to windows and the split off versions and IDEs. The special functions, LINQ and so on are great ideas but they seem to come with a lot of caveats (especially in conjugation with Unity). It's pretty pleasant and easy to get poo poo done in but could be better - particularly the memory use, GC and profiling side. Even a free coding tool needs a simple way to track down if it's leaking object instances (if you know any good free ones, please shout). Still, I wouldn't do java for hobby mod type stuff (I had to code java plugins for Oracle database XML handling at one point, never again) so it's a few steps up from there ;)

memory profiling tools aren't usually free. There's one in VS2013 update 2 in the pro versions and up. There's also the jetbrains one which looks excellent. Otherwise you are stuck with free ones such the microsoft one written in GDI which is a trainwreck.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
Are they ever going to make internals with for the MK 2 and 3 cockpits?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've run into one bizarre and one relatively serious bug. The serious bug is that, if I switch craft too many times (2, 3 times but with irregular intervals) when switching craft the game will "load" centered on the central star, but with Kerbin's model loaded. The game universe still seems to run (planets and satellites still move along their orbits) but I'm unable to interact with anything (incapable of switching). Going to the space centre works but the exit button there doesn't function. I wish I could say what causes it for a proper reproducible report.

The second is that this satellite is flying higher than both its periapsis and apoapsis. What the hell??!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

T___A posted:

Are they ever going to make internals with for the MK 2 and 3 cockpits?
Not worth doing when all of those C7 original aero parts need a complete rework. The art style needs a refresh and all the mk3 parts need to be taken behind a shed and put out of their misery. In the meantime there are mod internals for both mk3 and mk2 (by our own Sam Hall).

Also while I was searching for "internals" on spaceport to get those links I just saw this which is amazingly good looking. I didn't think a 3m capsule was something I wanted until I saw that.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I've finally gotten some downtime so I started up a new copy and went to the Mun and Minmus. I'm pretty floored by all the new parts (the heavy lifting stuff looks super fun), but what's the next natural progression at this point? Do I just go to Mun's biomes as many times as necessary to unlock nearly everything?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Cheekio posted:

I've finally gotten some downtime so I started up a new copy and went to the Mun and Minmus. I'm pretty floored by all the new parts (the heavy lifting stuff looks super fun), but what's the next natural progression at this point? Do I just go to Mun's biomes as many times as necessary to unlock nearly everything?

In terms of optimal gameplay, yes, that (or doing it on Minmus) is the next natural progression.

But Career Mode still is much better as a toybox than as a game currently. You'll probably have more fun doing what sounds fun to you than doing what's optimal. So you could probably go for a Duna mission, or an Eve flyby at this point, if that sounds like more fun than Biome-hopping.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

If that's the case, my followup question is: how far along the tech tree should you be to attempt an asteroid mission? I think I'm pretty close to unlocking the claw and the super heavy lifters.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

double nine posted:

I've run into one bizarre and one relatively serious bug. The serious bug is that, if I switch craft too many times (2, 3 times but with irregular intervals) when switching craft the game will "load" centered on the central star, but with Kerbin's model loaded. The game universe still seems to run (planets and satellites still move along their orbits) but I'm unable to interact with anything (incapable of switching). Going to the space centre works but the exit button there doesn't function. I wish I could say what causes it for a proper reproducible report.

The second is that this satellite is flying higher than both its periapsis and apoapsis. What the hell??!

I've had the same problem a few times and have no idea what triggers it but I didn't rifle through the logs to find out either. Alt-F4 and continue. Sometimes it deposits the second one right on top of the initial craft. Both work but if you ever switch to one of them (and force it off rails) they explode very messily. I cleaned up last time by making a backup of my save then terminating dupes in the tracking centre.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just found a Microsoft Sidewinder Strategic Commander at goodwill for $5, and it's pretty baller with KSP. Just sayin'.

It took a bit to get the keybindings correct, but I like it. It's a 4DOF device (sliding, twisting joystick), but like a mouse, with a ton of buttons. The thumb buttons (F1, F2, F3) can be held to change the "set" for the six top buttons, so you have 4 sets of six buttons. I have the top buttons set to do things like brakes, SAS, RCS, lights, and gears, and if I hold the top thumb button, it changes the six to be action groups 1 through 6 (Set F1), hitting the middle changes to action groups 7 through 0 plus quicksave/quickload (F2), and I haven't though of an F3 set yet. So, if I want to quicksave, I hold the middle button then hit 5 on top, which I've set for quicksave (though you can program everything about it, so you could set it to change F-sets without having to hold, or set it so that you can hit the F2 button and it'll accept n-more button presses before automatically swapping back to neutral/F0), +/- are for throttle, etc. It gets crazier, because there's that little switch by the REC button on the base, and that can change the entire mouse through another full set, so I can program it for three different game settings.

(not my picture, but gives you an idea of the size - every face button and the REC button light up individually)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had one of those for a while, I eventually threw it away because I never found a use for it. :v:

At one point I modded the springs out of the base so it wouldn't return to center and tried to play Descent with it. That didn't go well.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
I am trying to build an unmanned duna lander I can save as sub assembly and then attach several to a larger spacecraft. Nothing I do will save as a subassembly. Any tips for making this work?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Stregone posted:

I am trying to build an unmanned duna lander I can save as sub assembly and then attach several to a larger spacecraft. Nothing I do will save as a subassembly. Any tips for making this work?

Did you start with the probe core, or did you start with something else? I don't think the subassembly area will accept entire ships including the starting piece.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
To save a subassembly you have to be holding a part with a free attachment node. So if you started with a part with top and bottom nodes and then built in both directions, you can't pick up the whole thing to save it. The trick when building something specifically to save as a subassembly is to start with a decoupler and pretend that the rest of the ship is either above or below that point.

Cheekio posted:

If that's the case, my followup question is: how far along the tech tree should you be to attempt an asteroid mission? I think I'm pretty close to unlocking the claw and the super heavy lifters.
Claw + NTR Engine (nuke) really all you need. You should have RCS and some reaction wheels unlocked already, throwing some of them on your capture ship will help. The NASA rocket parts are helpful for launching a big ship for capturing one of the larger asteroids, but if you go for a Class B or C you can totally do it with a 2m launch stack.

Geirskogul posted:

I just found a Microsoft Sidewinder Strategic Commander at goodwill for $5, and it's pretty baller with KSP. Just sayin'.
drat, that actually sounds pretty great. How well does the analog control work?

I'd love to have a KSP analog controller that was small enough to keep on my desk more often. A joystick is just too big most of the time. I'm pissed because I used to have a SpaceNavigator but gave it back to the friend who gave it to me because they were useless.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Klyith posted:

I'd love to have a KSP analog controller that was small enough to keep on my desk more often. A joystick is just too big most of the time.

A normal logitech analog controller or xbox controller works, but unless you set up the second joystick to control the camera, the lack of a mouse is felt very hard. And a second joystick is too good for translation maneuvers to give up.

Klyith posted:

I'm pissed because I used to have a SpaceNavigator but gave it back to the friend who gave it to me because they were useless.

As I've said many times in this thread, make it so maneuver nodes can be directly controlled with a spacenavigator and I'll buy one the next day, :toxx: and all.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Klyith posted:

I'd love to have a KSP analog controller that was small enough to keep on my desk more often. A joystick is just too big most of the time. I'm pissed because I used to have a SpaceNavigator but gave it back to the friend who gave it to me because they were useless.

My Gravis Xterminator is ancient and less than perfect but it's a flight gamepad and I'm sure many others have been made since.

Now I think of it I also have some old abortion of an MS gamepad which as the only analog control option as a terrible accelerometer which requires the gamepad to be held flat for centre. That would be ...interesting to play KSP with.

Unrelated but I got monodevelop sorted and managed to compile a do-nothing plugin. Now I know how to do that it's getting set up in Linux.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I got a pretty big rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

TomR posted:

I got a pretty big rock.

Holy toledo, nice work.